The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 December 2012, 06:53 AM   #1
LittleOmid
"TRF" Member

First Rolex (Questions!)

Hello!

6 years have passed since my grandfather passed away, but his Rolex Datejust has been in the safe for the time and now it's been given to me. I am 19 years old and have always been interested in quality watches. What I could afford till now was a Certina stainless steel, nothing too fancy but my problem is that in the last 2 years it's going approximately +-20 seconds a day which is quite irritating. Now I plan to wear the Rolex as my every day watch.

Pictures are included, and tomorrow I'll take it to a Rolex dealer in the city to get the bracelet a little bit smaller for my wrist.

I believe that the watch is almost 55 years old, however I would love some information on it from you people. I've been told that it's a two tone of white and yellow gold, and it's been bought in Switzerland around 1960s.

Here are some pictures:

Sorry for low quality, I'm in a low light situation right now. It's practically night around here after 16:00.

There is also a scratch at between 7 and 8, I tried to capture it on the last picture but it's not overly visible to naked eyes.

So forums, what info can you give me on this watch? I don't plan on selling it for it's sentimental value, but i'd love to know when it was made and what model of Datejust it is.

Thanks in advance!
LittleOmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Nice DJ. Take the bracelet off and you can find the serial engraved between the lugs. That will help us with the age of the watch

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
LittleOmid
"TRF" Member

Will do first thing tomorrow. Don't have the necessary tools or skills, so I hope that they do fine at the Rolex Dealership. On a side note, I don't seem to be able to change the date on this watch. Usual should go with unscrewing the crown, and half way between winding and time adjustment should be the date adjusting wheel but I can't trigger it in. However the date changes for every 24 hour that I change the time.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
LittleOmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Welcome to the forum and nice watch. I am sure it will be in your family for a long time to come.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 11:14 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

as above you need to get the case serial numbers between the lugs for a accurate date or it will likely be on the inside of the caseback also on these older models. You have "dauphine hands" stick marker champagne pie-pan dial, Its an older model and as the dial slopes downwards on the edges and it's non quickset. The band style has the big crown clasp, i can't see the reference numbers on the clasp and the style of links, more photos needed.