The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 01:06 AM   #1
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Winding and setting the 5712?

When I picked up my 5712 I was too busy trying to keep the swing tag and brown delivery box to properly take in everything the AD said. One of the things I completely missed were her instructions on winding the watch.

I do remember she said the hands should be between the 6 and 6:30am position to avoid movement damage when winding or setting the watch, BUT I cannot find any reference to this online or in the instruction manual. I assumed I would be able to find a YouTube video showing how to set the watch, but I was unable to find one when I got home.

So for you guys with the 5712, please can someone give me a very quick breakdown on how to wind and set the 5712? Do I need to do the date or moon phase in any kind of order?

Thanks in advance!

PS it’s still wound from when I picked it up in the AD, I’ve worn it every day since, but as it’s a bit of a scratch magnet I figured it’s time for a little rest in the safe...
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 01:24 AM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I typically set the time to 6am before I use quickset on the date. For moonphase, IIRC, the danger zone hours are 9am to 11am in the morning.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 01:30 AM   #3
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
For moonphase, IIRC, the danger zone hours are 9am to 11am in the morning.
oh, i wasn't aware of this!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #4
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I think you can find the details on setting the watch on Patek's website, just go to your model's page.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:38 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I typically set the time to 6am before I use quickset on the date. For moonphase, IIRC, the danger zone hours are 9am to 11am in the morning.
the 5726 moon phase is active in the morning (9 to 11) but the 5712 its at night... like 8pm-ish i think.

6am is the rule for the 5726 because the date is active from 8pm to 2am and the moon phase is active from 9am and 11am so its about setting it at a time between those two functions as usually you are setting both the date and moon phase at the same time if the watch has stopped.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:54 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
... One of the things I completely missed were her instructions on winding the watch.

I do remember she said the hands should be between the 6 and 6:30am position to avoid movement damage when winding or setting the watch, BUT I cannot find any reference to this online or in the instruction manual.

Seriously?
Have you not managed to get as far as page 14 yet?

https://static.patek.com/pdf/instruc...S_IRM_C_LU.pdf
https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv...ngs/settings#m
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 06:01 AM   #7
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Yeah? I don’t see anything there specifically about 6am - 6:30am?

Clearly you can, so please let me know where it is.
Old 16 June 2018, 08:28 AM   #8
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

It has got to do with the date change mechanism. Check out Tim Mosso's video on it on youtube.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:53 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

read the 5726 manual that is where it is and its a different movement... its a fine rule to go by but its not necessary for the 5712. I checked this morning and my moon phase switches over at night. So as long as you are in AM at any time you are fine. Why anyone would set their watch in PM is beyond me as you cant accurately set the date so you are fine adjusting all the settings any time in the morning as long as the date isnt active on the 5712
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:30 PM   #10
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
read the 5726 manual that is where it is and its a different movement... its a fine rule to go by but its not necessary for the 5712. I checked this morning and my moon phase switches over at night. So as long as you are in AM at any time you are fine. Why anyone would set their watch in PM is beyond me as you cant accurately set the date so you are fine adjusting all the settings any time in the morning as long as the date isnt active on the 5712
Awesome - thanks for that :)

Time for the 5712 to have a little rest in the safe I think, will get her rewound next week at some point.
Old 16 June 2018, 08:22 PM   #11
PJ S
Banned

Quote:

Sorry, I must’ve misread your comment as meaning you were lacking instructions on setting the watch’s functions correctly.
The 6am thing is a purely arbitrary time, based on when many owners are likely to up at, in the morning.
As the manual states, the date correction is the only one you need pay attention to, and can be set any time between 1am and 9pm. The moonphase can be adjusted as and when you have access to the second link I provided.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:41 PM   #12
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Sorry, I must’ve misread your comment as meaning you were lacking instructions on setting the watch’s functions correctly.
The 6am thing is a purely arbitrary time, based on when many owners are likely to up at, in the morning.
As the manual states, the date correction is the only one you need pay attention to, and can be set any time between 1am and 9pm. The moonphase can be adjusted as and when you have access to the second link I provided.
Thanks for clarifying - I wanted to double check the 6am thing as she was really adamant and mentioned it multiple times, but clearly I think she had her references mixed up when explaining it.

When I need to set the watch next week, I will follow the instructions to the letter, hopefully that will do the trick!