The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 June 2018, 04:39 PM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on Patek 5153?

Considering the discontinued model with the black face in white gold, but thoughts on any of the versions would be appreciated.
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 05:39 PM   #2
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I personally like the aesthetics of the classic "Officer's" watch design with screw lugs, onion crown and hunter case and the black dial 5153G is IMHO a very nice and classy piece. The guilloche on the dial is also a nice feature that sets this model apart from the "flat" dial Calatravas.

I always enjoy Tim's YT watch reviews and his review of the 5153G is no exception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Xx-wqv-RQ
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 01:07 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5153 has been at the upper limit of the price range for Calatravas, so it is often overlooked in favor of the less expensive Calatravas. However the guilloche dial, officer's caseback, deployant clasp and the larger crown makes it stand out.

The black dial 5153G looks quite nice
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #4
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
I love the 5153 for the reasons already stated in this thread but also because it has so much Patek DNA in it. This case design has long been in use, and this is the most beautiful version to date, IMO. You just have to decide if you want a more traditional look vs the more modern 5227, which wears quite a bit larger (and has a tang buckle). I wouldn’t be surprised if you could buy one with a nice discount, especially the discontinued black model if it hasn’t gone yet.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:50 AM   #5
DasKptl
Banned

Go for it. The 5153 is my favorite Calatrava. I think it looks better than other Calatrava models. And the hunter case back is a definite plus.
DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Air Tzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Don’t like it. Not for me.

"It's hard to find the proper adjectives to describe the Submariner. It's the watch that can both begin and end a collection. It's the watch that you can wear every single day of your life and not worry about, or it's the watch you can put in a safe and have it rise in value year after year. The Submariner is, in my belief, the quintessential timepiece for many. When my mind thinks of the word 'watch,' it is a Submariner I see."
Air Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I have one for sale rose gold BNIB dated May this year for a fair price. Will be back in he US on the 24th. PM me if interested?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote