The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2016, 08:20 AM   #571
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Same reference Rob, you're in!
Old 9 July 2016, 02:06 PM   #572
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Yay!
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 02:59 PM   #573
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
@Ohio58: That's a beauty.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 03:00 PM   #574
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
@Watch Rob: Massive lugs you have there, Rob.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 03:48 PM   #575
McCliohn
"TRF" Member

Here's my Air King. It's currently on a brown Hirsch, I just like that look a little better than the bracelet.
McCliohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 11:58 PM   #576
joe100

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCliohn View Post
Here's my Air King. It's currently on a brown Hirsch, I just like that look a little better than the bracelet.
Pics aren't working
Old 10 July 2016, 01:25 AM   #577
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
@Marrk: Yeah, I think Rolex did a great job with the OP 34!
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2016, 01:30 AM   #578
joe100

They did a great job indeed, and nearly 10 years ago now. Those larger lugs make it wear so well despite the 34mm size. I'm wearing my 5500 on a NATO today, the 114300 is taking some shore leave
Old 11 July 2016, 01:17 PM   #579
joe100

5500 on Phoenix nato
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.6 KB, 1046 views)
Old 15 January 2017, 05:49 AM   #580
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
14000m blue dial

dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 08:03 AM   #581
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
I have a 72 Date Blue Dial inbound from Canada
Gecko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 11:26 AM   #582
joe100

Old 8 December 2017, 11:37 AM   #583
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckci View Post
Attachment 756718
5500 Gilt from '62.
Awesome.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:21 PM   #584
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VintageAKs.OPs,DJs
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Awesome.
This dial on this watch, which is stated as 1962 does not have Precision or Super Precision printed on the lower half of the dial. This would make it one of the earliest with this dial that I have seen.

Cheers,
Rick
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 06:57 AM   #585
theuncrownedprince
"TRF" Member

Air Kings are cute. Remember buying one on my 20th birthday. My first Rolex. I miss it but sold it to a close friend so it’s still around.
theuncrownedprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 07:42 AM   #586
Theeairking
"TRF" Member

A nice pic of my air king figured I’d revive this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 047714D8-9C3D-4141-9AEA-643D4368071F.jpeg (265.1 KB, 717 views)
Theeairking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 06:59 AM   #587
Stickfly
"TRF" Member

Bought last week

AK 114210 now worn for a week...... Great watch although the photo's not very good. Will have to try again. EDIT : Added another photo' just taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK 114210.jpg (133.5 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg 20180325_220539.jpg (142.8 KB, 702 views)

Last edited by Stickfly; 26 March 2018 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Add new photo'
Stickfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:07 AM   #588
Dinelo
"TRF" Member

Currently looking into purchasing a vintage Air King. All these pics are giving me serious watch envy and hope I can contribute pics of my own soon!
Dinelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 12:36 AM   #589
jbishop
"TRF" Member

Watch: 60's Air King Date
An oldie reborn...

The last thing my Dad bought before getting married in 1969, was this 1968 Air King Date. He doesn't think he paid more than $200 for it. He wore it for years, broke the bracelet (threw it away...not knowing) and replaced it a few times. Then the watch sat in his jewelry box and safe for years...I've loved the simple look of it for as long as I can remember. No wonder many of my other watches have the same clean look.

A few years ago - my Dad gave the watch to me. I found an 'aftermarket' no-so-Rolex bracelet and wore it. On a business trip later that year, I stopped in to a Rolex dealer to see what I should do to bring things up to spec for maintenance. They quickly but politely removed the off-brand bracelet. The quote for work was more than I expected - and they told me not to wear it until it was fixed as the movement was grinding inside. That was hard.

Earlier this year I went back to that dealer - and fast forward to yesterday, it arrived.

A new bracelet, crystal, internal workings and seals and it's back in the game - ready for another 50 years of service. You can see it still has its original dial and hands complete with patina...I didn't want it to look too new..had to keep its character.

A beauty watch with a great family story...my family story. Ready for the next generation to wear it...some day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smRolex68AKD5700.jpg (271.3 KB, 617 views)
jbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 02:32 PM   #590
cosmoliu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop View Post
The last thing my Dad bought before getting married in 1969, was this 1968 Air King Date. He doesn't think he paid more than $200 for it. He wore it for years, broke the bracelet (threw it away...not knowing) and replaced it a few times. Then the watch sat in his jewelry box and safe for years...I've loved the simple look of it for as long as I can remember. No wonder many of my other watches have the same clean look.

A few years ago - my Dad gave the watch to me. I found an 'aftermarket' no-so-Rolex bracelet and wore it. On a business trip later that year, I stopped in to a Rolex dealer to see what I should do to bring things up to spec for maintenance. They quickly but politely removed the off-brand bracelet. The quote for work was more than I expected - and they told me not to wear it until it was fixed as the movement was grinding inside. That was hard.

Earlier this year I went back to that dealer - and fast forward to yesterday, it arrived.

A new bracelet, crystal, internal workings and seals and it's back in the game - ready for another 50 years of service. You can see it still has its original dial and hands complete with patina...I didn't want it to look too new..had to keep its character.

A beauty watch with a great family story...my family story. Ready for the next generation to wear it...some day.
Nice! Thanks for the story that goes with that special watch. I'm already thinking of what happens to a couple of my watches. No children, but two step grand-children by my wife's son and daughter. I'm thinking one to each at graduation from college.
cosmoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #591
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Nice story, nice watch! The dart quarter hour indices with stick markers for the other hours is unique to the mid '60s.

Quote:

Old 24 June 2018, 09:45 PM   #592
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Sorry if the picture is sideways.
Didn't buy, yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1024.jpg (56.9 KB, 577 views)

Last edited by Coop13; 24 June 2018 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: sideways and double pic
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 06:18 PM   #593
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Quote:

Thanks for sharing, an amazing story! I'm glad it's back in your possession and ready to wear!
Old 11 July 2018, 07:15 AM   #594
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Hi... my ‘96 14010 AK

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I have an AirKing from probably 1996. Right from the start, I loved the history and heritage of the AirKing as well as it’s ties to aviation history (I have roots in aviation, myself).. i loved the look of it (14010 - and it had to be the 010 with the black face and machined bezel), especially because of it’s understated style (at the time).

I was in my early 20’s when I bought this (my first Rolex) and, at the time, I was lean and liked the look of the 34mm (understated style) as opposed to the thick, heavy, oversized look of... let’s say, the SubMariner. I’m no longer that lean, but I still love the AirKing. I did just purchase another watch and looking through my collection, I noticed I’m a bit heavy on black-face, stainless steel, dive watches.

This watch is definitely due for a cleaning and a good service. While having it serviced, I’d love to see about changing out the band. Because of the black face, I’m thinking a black band would look best. I am just trying to figure out what I’d like best while still being true to its style, it’s Rolex heritage, but also it’s history to me. It’s been very utilitarian.

So... Leather? Alligator Skin? Suede? I’ve seen a few styles that I like. Just looking for opinions. Can I even ask? Should I even consider putting on a band that is not made by Rolex? Any thoughts or experiences people feel like sharing would be appreciated.

I will post pics after I’ve racked up 10 posts. It shouldn’t take long.
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:29 PM   #595
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

10 posts...

I should be able to post these now...

Old 11 July 2018, 09:13 PM   #596
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop13 View Post
Sorry if the picture is sideways.
Didn't buy, yet.
Not much of a contribution to this otherwise great thread.

Old 17 July 2018, 09:37 AM   #597
cosmoliu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
I’d love to see about changing out the band. Because of the black face, I’m thinking a black band would look best. I am just trying to figure out what I’d like best while still being true to its style, it’s Rolex heritage, but also it’s history to me. It’s been very utilitarian.

So... Leather? Alligator Skin? Suede? I’ve seen a few styles that I like. Just looking for opinions. Can I even ask? Should I even consider putting on a band that is not made by Rolex? Any thoughts or experiences people feel like sharing would be appreciated.
Most the time I find that I prefer the lighter weight of my watch on a leather strap, so the bracelet actually gets very little wrist time. The 19 mm lug distance does limit the choices, though. Of 20mm straps I have found to work, I like the (Italian) Cola Reb straps, which I got online from Holben's Fine Watch Bands. Because the leather is very soft, they squeeze between the lugs without too much effort. One is visible on the left watch in my avatar. I came up with a very nice 19mm ostrich strap, but don't remember from where. Also, the other day, I saw 19mm crocodile and alligator straps advertised for $69 at Speidel's web site. I may get around to trying one of those. The last couple of years I have switched to the bracelet during the summer, when leather can get a little sticky. However, I searched the other day for 19mm NATO straps and came up with a couple of choices at Amazon. I ordered a nylon conventional two piece strap which should be arriving this week. I'll report back. With pics if the strap works out. If so, watch time on the bracelet will likely decrease even more.

Oh, and just a couple of weeks ago I got some SS end links from Smarty End Links which dress up the lug ends of the straps nicely. http://www.smartyendlinks.com/index....oller=category
cosmoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 10:44 AM   #598
scotrick
2024 Pledge Member

Air King wrist band

Welcome to the thread Haze! That handsome 14010 with black dial and engine turned bezel would certainly look great on a Hirsch strap, although Strapsco and Panatime send me tempting alternatives throughout the year!

I opine however that no band is lighter or more comfortable on my paltry 7.5" wrist on a hot humid day than the 7205 and 7835 bands that came on my 5500's. What did your 14010 come equipped with, the 87350 band?

Perhaps a thin leather strap may wear lighter than that band?

Cheers,
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I have an AirKing from probably 1996. Right from the start, I loved the history and heritage of the AirKing as well as it’s ties to aviation history (I have roots in aviation, myself).. i loved the look of it (14010 - and it had to be the 010 with the black face and machined bezel), especially because of it’s understated style (at the time).

I was in my early 20’s when I bought this (my first Rolex) and, at the time, I was lean and liked the look of the 34mm (understated style) as opposed to the thick, heavy, oversized look of... let’s say, the SubMariner. I’m no longer that lean, but I still love the AirKing. I did just purchase another watch and looking through my collection, I noticed I’m a bit heavy on black-face, stainless steel, dive watches.

This watch is definitely due for a cleaning and a good service. While having it serviced, I’d love to see about changing out the band. Because of the black face, I’m thinking a black band would look best. I am just trying to figure out what I’d like best while still being true to its style, it’s Rolex heritage, but also it’s history to me. It’s been very utilitarian.

I will post pics after I’ve racked up 10 posts. It shouldn’t take long.
Old 5 August 2018, 04:55 AM   #599
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoliu View Post
Most the time I find that I prefer the lighter weight of my watch on a leather strap, so the bracelet actually gets very little wrist time. The 19 mm lug distance does limit the choices, though. Of 20mm straps I have found to work, I like the (Italian) Cola Reb straps, which I got online from Holben's Fine Watch Bands. Because the leather is very soft, they squeeze between the lugs without too much effort. One is visible on the left watch in my avatar. I came up with a very nice 19mm ostrich strap, but don't remember from where. Also, the other day, I saw 19mm crocodile and alligator straps advertised for $69 at Speidel's web site. I may get around to trying one of those. The last couple of years I have switched to the bracelet during the summer, when leather can get a little sticky. However, I searched the other day for 19mm NATO straps and came up with a couple of choices at Amazon. I ordered a nylon conventional two piece strap which should be arriving this week. I'll report back. With pics if the strap works out. If so, watch time on the bracelet will likely decrease even more.

Oh, and just a couple of weeks ago I got some SS end links from Smarty End Links which dress up the lug ends of the straps nicely. http://www.smartyendlinks.com/index....oller=category

Thank you. Sharp watch and it looks good with the leather band. I swear, I can spend as much time struggling over which strap/band to buy just as much as the watch itself.

I ended up ordering a leather strap that I’m waiting on now. I took your advice and got a thin leather to hopefully fit between the lugs. Once I receive and change the band I’lll update the thread to to show how it looks.

Thanks for the reply and your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2018, 05:10 AM   #600
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrick View Post
Welcome to the thread Haze! That handsome 14010 with black dial and engine turned bezel would certainly look great on a Hirsch strap, although Strapsco and Panatime send me tempting alternatives throughout the year!

I opine however that no band is lighter or more comfortable on my paltry 7.5" wrist on a hot humid day than the 7205 and 7835 bands that came on my 5500's. What did your 14010 come equipped with, the 87350 band?

Perhaps a thin leather strap may wear lighter than that band?

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick, and thanks for the greeting. When I purchased the watch, it came with the oyster bracelet for that model (as pictured). I’ve had that band on it all this time and just started thinking about switching up the band so I could mix it up again.

I’d love to start giving this more wrist time again so right now, my main concern is look and style over weight. Especially because the bracelet isn’t that heavy in the first place - neither is the watch. Especially compared to almost any more modern 40-42mm watch that I’d wear in its place, but 8 like the way you think.

Thanks. I order3d a leather strap that I think will work well. Once I replace it I’ll update the post. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk