The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 June 2018, 05:19 AM   #1
jpeaseiv
"TRF" Member

Rolex said they have to swap out my bezel

I sent in a late 1970's submariner to be serviced. They said it needed a new crown, acrylic, dial, and bezel. I told them I didn't want to replace any parts, but they said they can't do the pressure test unless they replaced the crown, acrylic, and bezel. The crown doesn't work correctly and the acrylic is scratched. I think I am ok with them replacing those. The dial doesn't glow, but I am not going to replace it. So really, my concern is with the bezel. Why would they need to replace the bezel for a pressure test? What would you do?
jpeaseiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
I would ask for it back immediately and find a well-respected independent watchmaker (plenty of references here on the forum) to fix your watch.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 06:30 AM   #3
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I’m sure others will chime in. I’d have them change the crown and crystal, but def not the bezel.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 06:49 AM   #4
jpeaseiv
"TRF" Member

They said they will not do anything to the watch unless I replace the bezel and disk. I am calling them back to see what is damaged. I assume it has to be something other than cosmetic. Wonder if they could change the bezel but put the original disk back on top.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaseiv View Post
I sent in a late 1970's submariner to be serviced. They said it needed a new crown, acrylic, dial, and bezel. I told them I didn't want to replace any parts, but they said they can't do the pressure test unless they replaced the crown, acrylic, and bezel. The crown doesn't work correctly and the acrylic is scratched. I think I am ok with them replacing those. The dial doesn't glow, but I am not going to replace it. So really, my concern is with the bezel. Why would they need to replace the bezel for a pressure test? What would you do?
This is precisely why you do not send a vintage watch directly to Rolex. They dont care about originality or collector value.
There are independent watch makers on here that specifically service vintage pieces who understand that keeping them original is paramount and will not replace parts unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 19 June 2018, 07:02 AM   #6
jpeaseiv
"TRF" Member

I wasn't going to send it until I went to pick up my new GMT II. The sales women commented that they could buff out the scratches on the bracelet and replace the acrylic crystal that was scratched. Next thing I know they come back and say I need a new crown, bezel, and dial. Where do I go to see the list of watch makers on this forum? Thanks for the help.
Old 19 June 2018, 07:09 AM   #7
albaserver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I would ask for it back immediately and find a well-respected independent watchmaker (plenty of references here on the forum) to fix your watch.
+1

Keep those components as they were in 1970. Do not allow anyone to replace them! ;)

Instagram: @albaserver
albaserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:20 AM   #8
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Rolex said they have to swap out my bezel

When I dropped my Red 1680 (MkVI) off at Bob Ridley’s in 2009 (right after purchasing it), he did a complete overhaul.

I got a new crown and tube (necessary due to age) and also a new crystal. He informed me it’s customary to change the crystal at each service to maintain proper function.

Unless you have a watch that has been in a safe since day one and everything is absolutely original, denying critical component replacement is a bit foolhardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #9
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
LAWW, ABC, Bob Ridley, Rik are all great I've seen mentioned on TRF......

I hear also there's a guy named Kent in Chicago........ If you have a little patience....
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
When I dropped my Red 1680 (MkVI) off at Bob Ridley’s in 2009 (right after purchasing it), he did a complete overhaul.

I got a new crown and tube (necessary due to age) and also a new crystal. He informed me it’s customary to change the crystal at each service to maintain proper function.

Unless you have a watch that has been in a safe since day one and everything is absolutely original, denying critical component replacement is a bit foolhardy.
As the issue is the ability to pressure test his watch, I can understand the crystal and crown being a factor, but a bezel...which, as we know from old Subs is simply a free-turning piece of metal...I'm not sure how that affects the water tight integrity.
Old 19 June 2018, 07:40 AM   #11
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
As the issue is the ability to pressure test his watch, I can understand the crystal and crown being a factor, but a bezel...which, as we know from old Subs is simply a free-turning piece of metal...I'm not sure how that affects the water tight integrity.

Yeah, I agree. My post only mentions the crown+tube and crystal.

Old 19 June 2018, 08:15 AM   #12
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I use Rikki at time care! He’s right here in Seminole Fl. And a forum member..He works on all my watches!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:25 AM   #13
goldfixer21
2024 Pledge Member

As stated above, the bezel has nothing to do with water resistance.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

The crown+crown tube and crystal and caseback gasket are all that is needed to perpetuate the water-tightness. (caseback replacement perhaps if warped but that would be rare)

if they won't do that and guarrantee water tightness then either get them to do above and the service only anyway - then pressure test it independantly (you'll find it will be fine)

or take your business to an independant.
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:10 PM   #15
jpeaseiv
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I agree. Was confused when they said the bezel needed to be replaced to do a pressure test. As soon as I get the watch back, I will go see Rikki in Seminole. Thanks again for the help!!
Old 19 June 2018, 10:24 PM   #16
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Just replace crown and acrilic. The bezels come of easy on them ones . Take to independent make sure they take bezel of in front of your eyes, don't let watch out of your sight. Take it back to rsc, new bezel acrilic and crown and service. No polish. Tell them bezel fell off. You keep original bezel at home.

Dont trust independent to do work. I had highly respected independent recomended on omega forum from the forum gounder. This guy had good reputation. He screwed up my watch. Only trust rsc BUT GET IT IN WRITING AND MAKE CLEAR WHAT YOU WANT AND DO NOT WANT. Then the service caried out with genuine parts and watch will out last you.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:06 AM   #17
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Just replace crown and acrilic. The bezels come of easy on them ones . Take to independent make sure they take bezel of in front of your eyes, don't let watch out of your sight. Take it back to rsc, new bezel acrilic and crown and service. No polish. Tell them bezel fell off. You keep original bezel at home.

Dont trust independent to do work. I had highly respected independent recomended on omega forum from the forum gounder. This guy had good reputation. He screwed up my watch. Only trust rsc BUT GET IT IN WRITING AND MAKE CLEAR WHAT YOU WANT AND DO NOT WANT. Then the service caried out with genuine parts and watch will out last you.

I think that stance is a bit much.

Bob Ridley has access to Rolex service parts through official channels. He got me the crown&tube, crystal, and a few movement parts with zero issue.

He’s also trusted by scores of people here. I dropped the watch off and we talked for a couple of hours while he took the watch apart in front of me and assessed the work needed.

Over the course of the next several weeks we had -hours- of phone conversations where he educated me very clearly and carefully about my options and what they meant to the timepiece and to the collectibility, etc... I don’t think there’s a vintage service option as transparent or as trusted out there.

Old 20 June 2018, 03:10 AM   #18
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that stance is a bit much.

Bob Ridley has access to Rolex service parts through official channels. He got me the crown&tube, crystal, and a few movement parts with zero issue.

He’s also trusted by scores of people here. I dropped the watch off and we talked for a couple of hours while he took the watch apart in front of me and assessed the work needed.

Over the course of the next several weeks we had -hours- of phone conversations where he educated me very clearly and carefully about my options and what they meant to the timepiece and to the collectibility, etc... I don’t think there’s a vintage service option as transparent or as trusted out there.

I'll reiterate - I'm working with Phillip Ridley (Bob's son) on a very expensive GMT Master; I was comfortable with his reputation from this forum but the interactions with him from the first contact have made me even more comfortable (phone calls to describe the process, options, insurance coverage for shipping and when in his possession, pictures of service progress, etc.).

Definitely some good independent watchmakers out there that have what seem to be a greater level of knowledge and respect for the vintage pieces.
AJDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:11 AM   #19
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Dont trust independent to do work.
That's quite an indictment
Old 20 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #20
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnmEaton View Post
LAWW, ABC, Bob Ridley, Rik are all great I've seen mentioned on TRF......

I hear also there's a guy named Kent in Chicago........ If you have a little patience....
I met Kent before. He seems like a super nice guy. I did not use his services, but his Yelp reviews indicate that his wait time may be longer than 8 weeks. I don't think I'm that patient :)
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:17 AM   #21
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbilgic View Post
I met Kent before. He seems like a super nice guy. I did not use his services, but his Yelp reviews indicate that his wait time may be longer than 8 weeks. I don't think I'm that patient :)
Pretty much any good independent is going to be that far out with the current market.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:56 AM   #22
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
You're "double threading"? Why?
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=611214
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:13 AM   #24
jpeaseiv
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the double post. Didn't think the first one went through. Will delete one.
Old 24 June 2018, 04:17 AM   #25
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDay View Post
I'll reiterate - I'm working with Phillip Ridley (Bob's son) on a very expensive GMT Master; I was comfortable with his reputation from this forum but the interactions with him from the first contact have made me even more comfortable (phone calls to describe the process, options, insurance coverage for shipping and when in his possession, pictures of service progress, etc.).

Definitely some good independent watchmakers out there that have what seem to be a greater level of knowledge and respect for the vintage pieces.

I met his son when I was there back in 2009 and I know he was learning at the feet of the master. I see more and more people are having work done by Phillip - is Bob still working?

Old 24 June 2018, 05:17 AM   #26
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I met his son when I was there back in 2009 and I know he was learning at the feet of the master. I see more and more people are having work done by Phillip - is Bob still working?

I got the impression that Phillip is taking the load but Bob is there if needed. I didn’t specifically ask.
AJDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:51 AM   #27
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaseiv View Post
1. Do you need it to be water tight?
2. Don't let them change those parts. The crown and crown tube sure... but you can still source period correct parts, where they will fit it with a triple lock crown which is bigger than the one on there now. Additionally, the crystal... unless damaged is worth a lot more than the service crystals.

The reason they are saying change the bezel is likely because if you want it water tight then you may need a new crystal retaining ring (which is what the bezel snaps to). In my experience the vintage ones are not interchangeable with service ones.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 06:14 AM   #28
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
1. Do you need it to be water tight?

2. Don't let them change those parts. The crown and crown tube sure... but you can still source period correct parts, where they will fit it with a triple lock crown which is bigger than the one on there now. Additionally, the crystal... unless damaged is worth a lot more than the service crystals.

The reason they are saying change the bezel is likely because if you want it water tight then you may need a new crystal retaining ring (which is what the bezel snaps to). In my experience the vintage ones are not interchangeable with service ones.

Not sure if still an option, but back in 2009 I could have gotten the non-chamfered top hat crystal (new old stock I believe) for $200ish which was 2x the cost of the service top hat. No idea if they’re all gone now or still available.

You can also play with the dome crystal which was an OEM option at the time of purchase. I may do this next service just to change it up...

Old 24 June 2018, 07:55 AM   #29
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Rik Dietel is awesome, have dealt with him a few times already with great results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 08:18 AM   #30
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Rik Dietel is awesome, have dealt with him a few times already with great results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rik is awesome. I can attest to that.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote