The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What brand do you prefer more?
A Lange & Söhne 25 40.98%
Patek Philippe 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 March 2017, 06:02 PM   #181
LPPP
"TRF" Member

The beauty of a Lange is seen thru the case back but its hockey puck style case seem primitive or rather traditional in the eyes of some.
LPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:16 PM   #182
LPPP
"TRF" Member

From my humble collection

Love the symmetry and simplicity of the dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5004.jpg (102.5 KB, 874 views)
Old 8 April 2017, 12:45 AM   #183
Rachaphon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Just read through the whole thread trying to research into whether I should get another PP or Lange! After an hour and a half or so, I still can't decide ��
On a side note though, I was wondering what would be a decent discount rate I can get on a Lange (Datograph to be specific).
Old 8 April 2017, 02:24 AM   #184
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aivas47a View Post
A. Lange is certainly one of the small, elite group of the very best watchmakers, but Patek reigns alone at the top. Always has and I suspect always will. (I have to say it seems a bit perverse to view lower sales figures and lack of a sports model as indicators of a superior brand.)
There are independents which blow PP out of the water. Smith. DuFour and Grubel-Forsey are a few. Voutilinien (sp) also comes to mind.

PP is not alone at the top by any margin.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 02:30 AM   #185
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
There are independents which blow PP out of the water. Smith. DuFour and Grubel-Forsey are a few. Voutilinien (sp) also comes to mind.

PP is not alone at the top by any margin.
Nice comparison. He questions a Datograph you suggest RWS starting at $125k, 4 year waiting list 10 pieces a year. Dufour Simplicity going for over $250k and no longer being made, Voutilainen starting at CHF 72000 and 32 pieces a year and lastly GF who I think starts a basic model at $165k but happy to be corrected. You then compare that to PP at 60 000 p.a. And varying in price from $10k to $2.5 mil. Perhaps a better comparison would be Journe, Lange & Heyne, Grossman, Groenefekd and a few others. Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 02:36 AM   #186
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Perhaps a better comparison would be Journe, Lange & Heyne, Grossman, Groenefekd and a few others. Cheers
I agree with you Karl.

What would you say about something like the MB&F LM101 which was originally introduced at $59k US and finished by Kari? Yes, they're made only in 30/metal however they are made each year and with a limited number of MB&F dealers perhaps within reach for normal collectors.

As for comparisons of Dato to 5070 as in the now 7 year old OP, that is apples and oranges. A more apt comparison would be 5070 or 5170 versus the 1815 chrono; in this case based on price alone I would tend to go with the 1815 as it can be had for much much less. If price was not a consideration I'd probably go with the Patek.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 03:19 AM   #187
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I agree with you Karl.

What would you say about something like the MB&F LM101 which was originally introduced at $59k US and finished by Kari? Yes, they're made only in 30/metal however they are made each year and with a limited number of MB&F dealers perhaps within reach for normal collectors.

As for comparisons of Dato to 5070 as in the now 7 year old OP, that is apples and oranges. A more apt comparison would be 5070 or 5170 versus the 1815 chrono; in this case based on price alone I would tend to go with the 1815 as it can be had for much much less. If price was not a consideration I'd probably go with the Patek.
Hi Louis
There a lot of brands out there I know nothing about like MB&F, AP, VC de Buthane etc all who make fantastic watches. I was also pointing out that the comparison was Faberge egg to a quail egg!! Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 04:45 PM   #188
TokyoExpat
"TRF" Member

Very much agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan View Post
A. Lang & Sohne for me. Why? Well, the Pateks aren't inspiring to me until you get around $60K. But, there are some Langs that I love in the mid 30s.

One more thing: Patek Phillippe loses 10 point for the Nautilus....Yuk
FULLY AGREE with both of these points (full disclosure: I'm a dress watch/yellow gold lover). The Pateks I like are out of my price range but the ALSs I like can be reached with a little stretching. Dropping $25K for a used example, I wonder which hold its value better over the next 20 years?
TokyoExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:14 PM   #189
LPPP
"TRF" Member

ALS can make any complicated movement with superb finishing but simply not watch cases.
Any model comes in a case made from apparent sliced precious metal pipes. No contours to talk about unlike any pateks

Having said that, it’s my other fav watch brand for its history and workmanship.
Old 25 March 2018, 08:17 PM   #190
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPP View Post
ALS can make any complicated movement with superb finishing but simply not watch cases.
Any model comes in a case made from apparent sliced precious metal pipes. No contours to talk about unlike any pateks

Having said that, it’s my other fav watch brand for its history and workmanship.
aren't they just a movement company anyway? Not sure, but i thought they source everything else and only actually make movements. Doesn't really matter, but its interesting. Anyone know for sure?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 12:05 AM   #191
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
aren't they just a movement company anyway? Not sure, but i thought they source everything else and only actually make movements. Doesn't really matter, but its interesting. Anyone know for sure?
Am I understanding this correctly; ALS offers fully in-house movements, but everything else is externally supplied? If so, to what extent? For example are they even polishing their cases? Interested to hear more!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 12:18 AM   #192
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Am I understanding this correctly; ALS offers fully in-house movements, but everything else is externally supplied? If so, to what extent? For example are they even polishing their cases? Interested to hear more!
yeah, but i dont know a lot of details... just this:

"Lange is a movement maker, which means the rest of the watches are produced by other companies to Lange's specifications. These other parts include the case, dial, strap, and other housing elements of the watches." https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-lange...uring-process/

So basically they are all about the movements and not so much into the manufacturing of other components. I kind of like them more for being so specialized and playing to their strength.
I haven't heard a lot about it though, so i dont know much more than this article.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 March 2018, 12:24 AM   #193
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
My biggest gripe about Lange is that all their case design is the same.
Old 26 March 2018, 12:25 AM   #194
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Curious if Michael M. still feels this way 8 years on?
Old 26 March 2018, 12:26 AM   #195
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Curious if Michael M. still feels this way 8 years on?
always good for a historical bump... its always the 1 post guys who do it though
Old 26 March 2018, 12:29 AM   #196
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
always good for a historical bump... its always the 1 post guys who do it though
Oh indeed.
Old 26 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #197
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah, but i dont know a lot of details... just this:

"Lange is a movement maker, which means the rest of the watches are produced by other companies to Lange's specifications. These other parts include the case, dial, strap, and other housing elements of the watches." https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-lange...uring-process/

So basically they are all about the movements and not so much into the manufacturing of other components. I kind of like them more for being so specialized and playing to their strength.
I haven't heard a lot about it though, so i dont know much more than this article.
This is extremely interesting in my view! Thank you Tyler!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 12:59 AM   #198
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This thread really is a Voyage of the Banned.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 08:20 AM   #199
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This thread really is a Voyage of the Banned.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 08:32 AM   #200
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Just finished reading this very interesting thread... I also noticed several members that were banned as well... Guess some heated discussion occurred at some point.

Any ways... Nice to learn about these two great brands...
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #201
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Both brands are great.

Just in case anyone hasn't said it, Dufour says ALS has the best finishing of any mainline brand. I mention that because it's always in the back of my mind. He also said that the Breguet La Tradition was wonderful. I know it's best to follow one's own heart, but the next best is to look at whatever Dufour likes!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 10:17 AM   #202
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Which brand do you like more and why? Fact: A Lange makes aprox. 5,000 watches a year, and Patek makes about 50,00 watches a year!

Why I Prefer A Lange over Patek: First of all, A Lange makes almost a tenth as many watches as patek does. Second, almost all high-end watch salesman, store owners, and experts prefer A Lange. I also like A Lange's movements more than patek's movements. For instance, a patek 5070 is equal to the A Lange Datograph, but I believe the A Lange styling is more timeless and interesting. I also think A Lange's movements are better quality and more beautiful than Pateks but, that's my opinion. I'm not saying patek is not a good brand, in fact it is one of my favorites, but I prefer A Lange over patek.
I would not put two cents in anything "high-end" watch salesman say. You probably know more about watches than they do. You have a passion, for the most part, they have a job.
Old 26 March 2018, 10:23 AM   #203
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-16610 View Post
sorry to dissapoint you but it is not an upgrade !

The gold chatons, each his own but I don't like them at all. Blue screws ? The back of a watch is not a coloring page

The hack function, who cares ?I -This is not a a thing which will decide if a watch is haute horlogerie or not. If Patek wants them to hack , they would hack

I don't know how afterservice works for you but I do know a few people in Europe who have Patek watches and in Europe it works perfect.

Also know that Patek get year after year more than 40.000 watches which need a service. So I think it is normal this takes some time.
I doubt that about the hacking mechanism, PP would love to have it, its not where they are mechanically at the moment for whatever reason.
Old 27 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #204
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
Personally I feel like Lange is more of a watchlover's brand as opposed to a watchmaker brand wherein they aren't creating artificial demand by limiting production of non PM sport watches...

Plus raised white gold numerals are always stunning
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 05:30 PM   #205
dantan
"TRF" Member

I would be keen to know people's thoughts now.
dantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:23 AM   #206
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is an interesting thread to pop up eight years later. I just read it from the beginning. Although there is the usual grousing and trolling, there is a lot more substance here than in many current threads. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 19 June 2018, 05:27 AM   #207
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
http://deployant.com/1-on-1-comparin...raph-ref-5270/
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:58 AM   #208
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Platinum Dato 1st gen recently auctioned at 37.5, at that price it’s certainly competitive. I used to own one a few years ago, nice watch.
Old 5 July 2023, 05:47 AM   #209
daddycurbcheck
"TRF" Member

hahaha
daddycurbcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:46 AM   #210
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Platinum Dato 1st gen recently auctioned at 37.5, at that price it’s certainly competitive. I used to own one a few years ago, nice watch.

Total; post Covid, we would die to get it at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a lange sohne , patek philippe , rolex forums