The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 May 2018, 02:48 PM   #121
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
My first...finally joined the Patek family officially. After a lot of enabling and a lot of gawking.....opportunity came up and decided this is the first. Pictures do no justice to the watch (though very photogenic) and everything nyc2la preaches is all true. The watch is to die for in every way.

Huge congrats!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 02:54 PM   #122
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Thanks guys (especially Steve..he was instrumental in enabling and providing first hand experience with the watch before I saw it lol). Like Steve says..Insanely beautiful in all lighting..I couldn't stop staring at it at the supermarket tonight.

There's just no other sunburst that behaves this way..it fades from blue to black in multiple directions pending on angle and ever so subtly changes back and forth. Just wow.

Whoa, congrats!!! That is jaw dropping, what an awesome looking watch.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 03:35 PM   #123
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My first...finally joined the Patek family officially. After a lot of enabling and a lot of gawking.....opportunity came up and decided this is the first. Pictures do no justice to the watch (though very photogenic) and everything nyc2la preaches is all true. The watch is to die for in every way.

Super congrats. It really is a stunning piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #124
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Huge congrats and great pic!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 11:04 PM   #125
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Damn, that's gorgeous! I always thought it was an average looking watch that ny2la just took good pictures of! But I guess it's the watch!

In all seriousness, that is a beautiful watch. Probably my favorite Patek.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:15 PM   #126
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys (especially Steve..he was instrumental in enabling and providing first hand experience with the watch before I saw it lol). Like Steve says..Insanely beautiful in all lighting..I couldn't stop staring at it at the supermarket tonight.

There's just no other sunburst that behaves this way..it fades from blue to black in multiple directions pending on angle and ever so subtly changes back and forth. Just wow.
Wow... Just an incredible looking watch... You did well!!!

If you get some time tell us the story about choosing this model and did it take a long time to acquire it...
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:57 AM   #127
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Very nice pix but I still cannot get over the diamond begets. I've tried it on in person and it's just not for me. Wish the wife liked it then I could take it for a spin here and there but no dice. Great pix tho
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:09 AM   #128
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek
A different shot in the sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:10 AM   #129
Basel_World
Banned

Absolut dream watch!
Basel_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:50 AM   #130
nycpassat
"TRF" Member

This piece is really growing on me. Handled one in person at an AD over the weekend and it wears well. The blue gradient is something pretty special. Congrats to those whose recently acquired one.
nycpassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:09 AM   #131
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Very nice pix but I still cannot get over the diamond begets. I've tried it on in person and it's just not for me. Wish the wife liked it then I could take it for a spin here and there but no dice. Great pix tho
I'm sure it's not for everyone. One thing I will absolutely vouch for is I was deciding between the diamond baguette version of the Platona and the regular one and the regular Platona won by a mile for me when comparing them side by side. I am not a diamond guy @ all. I wasn't totally convinced from pictures (although gorgeous from Steve/nyc2la) but when I saw the watch in person....it was clearly a non-issue for me. My wife also concurred she couldn't even tell it had diamonds as markers until I pointed it out. It fits very well and is extremely subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyhand View Post
A different shot in the sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Very beautiful! Wear in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek737 View Post

If you get some time tell us the story about choosing this model and did it take a long time to acquire it...
Unfortunately as much as I wish for a romantic story like some with their watch acquisitions.....it just wasn't that dramatic hah. Basically I've been eyeing the watch for months and asking around (especially talking with nyc2la) for information/living vicariously......during which what sealed the deal was the video comparison between a Speedmaster and the 5170 from Patek.....it astounded me what detail they went through to achieve this movement in house and to be able to reduce the thinness to something so sleek/wearable was the deciding factor for me over the datograph (which I was also heavily drawn to comparing chronographs on this level). It was funny because this is right after I swore up and down I didn't need such a fancy chronograph coming from more sporty choices like the Speedmaster and Daytonas.

After the decision was made.....one fateful day I saw an instagram from one of my buddies that's a grey seller and I immediately messaged him and made a deal. Rest was just timing of payment and making things happen....and now I am just all smiles ear and ear entering the Patek arena. Won't be the last unfortunately for my wallet. Glad to be part of the family!
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #132
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:

Wow, congrats, the 5170p is such a beautiful watch.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:05 AM   #133
Hermann
"TRF" Member

I also think that this watch is amazing.
Therefore I let go a few other watches.... reduced to the max

Has somebody an idea where I can get this watch in europe?
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #134
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure it's not for everyone. One thing I will absolutely vouch for is I was deciding between the diamond baguette version of the Platona and the regular one and the regular Platona won by a mile for me when comparing them side by side. I am not a diamond guy @ all. I wasn't totally convinced from pictures (although gorgeous from Steve/nyc2la) but when I saw the watch in person....it was clearly a non-issue for me. My wife also concurred she couldn't even tell it had diamonds as markers until I pointed it out. It fits very well and is extremely subtle.

Very beautiful! Wear in good health!

Unfortunately as much as I wish for a romantic story like some with their watch acquisitions.....it just wasn't that dramatic hah. Basically I've been eyeing the watch for months and asking around (especially talking with nyc2la) for information/living vicariously......during which what sealed the deal was the video comparison between a Speedmaster and the 5170 from Patek.....it astounded me what detail they went through to achieve this movement in house and to be able to reduce the thinness to something so sleek/wearable was the deciding factor for me over the datograph (which I was also heavily drawn to comparing chronographs on this level). It was funny because this is right after I swore up and down I didn't need such a fancy chronograph coming from more sporty choices like the Speedmaster and Daytonas.

After the decision was made.....one fateful day I saw an instagram from one of my buddies that's a grey seller and I immediately messaged him and made a deal. Rest was just timing of payment and making things happen....and now I am just all smiles ear and ear entering the Patek arena. Won't be the last unfortunately for my wallet. Glad to be part of the family!
Re - platinum Daytonas. The diamond version is beautiful. The only issue for me is that the subrings are "tone on tone" so they are really subtle. I like a chrono to look like a chrono.

Re - subtle baguettes in 5170P. It's funny: we get platinum that "flies under the radar" because it looks from a distance like stainless. We get diamonds only if you hardly notice they are there.
Old 1 June 2018, 07:35 AM   #135
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Congrats my friend it is a stunner! Had it on my wrist last week and loved it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:54 AM   #136
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Wow, many congrats my friend, that is a stunning entry into PP! Supermarket lighting can sharpen up your watch pics no doubt.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:34 PM   #137
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
5170P is beautiful!
Old 1 June 2018, 07:11 PM   #138
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post

my AD has one for sale. you can PM me if interested.
pam66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 09:13 PM   #139
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow, huge congratulations! I am so happy for you, after having read your woes of seeking out a Nautilus.

That's really entering the Patek world with a bang! You really don't mess around! I am really interested in hearing more about your journey to the 5170P - it is a dream piece of mine.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 10:04 PM   #140
soran
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Liking this.

Dial is balanced nicely with the subtle changes since the beginning of the reference.
The metal I've been longing for,
Truly My favorite choice of hands...

But on closer inspections ... are those diamond markers
seriously, diamond markers...

im just not a diamond marker kind of guy.
Baguette diamond markers are very nice. A first they look like normal sticks but when you look again..top
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:17 PM   #141
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Diamonds are forever.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #142
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post

Wempe in London had one 2 weeks ago.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:38 AM   #143
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Very beautiful shot! And congrats for buying such a great piece!

Do consider a new thread for your purchase story. This watch deserves one!
Quote:

+3....^^^.... Ditto.... This watch should have an incoming thread of it own...... But know brother John he like to be low key.....

Quote:

"Hi" brother John......

Congratulations.....!!!

My wife & I so happy for you...!!!...

Glad you didn't settle for the 5711 and went with the flagship Patek 5170P...

Next thing you know you will get a call form your AD regarding the 5711.....

Best Regards,
Tony&Vall

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 04:25 AM   #144
eviperman
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch and I've now decided to get one after trying it on in Geneva :) For me, more beautiful than the 5270P :)

Anyone know what a "good" price for a new 5170P is at the moment?

Thanks!
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 06:51 AM   #145
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Very beautiful shot! And congrats for buying such a great piece!

Do consider a new thread for your purchase story. This watch deserves one!
Thank you again. As others have mentioned, I'm not big on incoming threads for myself for some reason heh. Maybe taking inspiration from some of my buddies that are more incognito (like one of them congratulating me here lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
There it is!! Big congrats, John! Wear and enjoy in the best of health.
Couldn't have done it without your insight/advice Steve. Thanks again and we need to grab a drink/bite to eat next time we're within vicinity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Zigen View Post
Gorgeous, congrats!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyhand View Post
Congratulations! I believe you're one of a very few whose first patek is not a natilus, in this forum.
But I can guess why. This is a very beautiful watch and what with Stephen's enabling,
one couldn't really resist.
Enjoy your wearing.
Yeah. I will admit seeing the 5711 on my buddy's wrist was what started the Patek obsession.....then researching/reading about the brand more and more made me appreciate their watchmaking in complications/grand complications. I think the 5170p being their 1st in house chrono. movement in response to Lange's Datograph along with the beauty of the watch itself is a combination hard to resist.....it simply is THAT good. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Omg
Your turn coming up soon A? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Huge congrats!
Thanks for your kind comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Whoa, congrats!!! That is jaw dropping, what an awesome looking watch.
It really is.....I can't stop looking at it whenever light conditions change to see what the sunburst dial does! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Super congrats. It really is a stunning piece.
Definitely one of the best looking Pateks right now on the market IMO. In person it's a showstopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Huge congrats and great pic!
Thanks I'm learning how to take nicer shots from guys like nyc2la. He's the master enabler for the 5170p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Damn, that's gorgeous! I always thought it was an average looking watch that ny2la just took good pictures of! But I guess it's the watch!

In all seriousness, that is a beautiful watch. Probably my favorite Patek.
Thanks buddy. It really is hard to take a bad picture of this one.

Quote:

I told the quick version of the story earlier. I think it went from 0-40 when I first saw Steve's pictures....then I kept fighting my own instincts saying I don't need a dress chrono. with all the Daytonas and Speedmasters I have.....then the video comparison between Speedmaster and 5170p took me to 70....and when I saw the watch IRL from my seller I was head over heels way over 100. It really is that good. Do not wait to see this in person all that is on the fence/curious. Thanks for your kind comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Thanks for the kind comment. As I mentioned the diamond baguette is really subtle....no one would ever know IMO without staring at the dial up close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel_World View Post
Absolut dream watch!
Dreams are meant to be realized! Go get em! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpassat View Post
This piece is really growing on me. Handled one in person at an AD over the weekend and it wears well. The blue gradient is something pretty special. Congrats to those whose recently acquired one.
Thanks. Seeing it in person makes it so hard to resist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Wow, congrats, the 5170p is such a beautiful watch.
Certainly is! Nice to see the Patek veterans on board as well! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Re - platinum Daytonas. The diamond version is beautiful. The only issue for me is that the subrings are "tone on tone" so they are really subtle. I like a chrono to look like a chrono.

Re - subtle baguettes in 5170P. It's funny: we get platinum that "flies under the radar" because it looks from a distance like stainless. We get diamonds only if you hardly notice they are there.
Interesting right? I feel like it's a level of WIS one must go through on the journey....I'm all about being incognito now lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Congrats my friend it is a stunner! Had it on my wrist last week and loved it!
Ken I somewhat know what you're holding out for. Look forward to that monster incoming down the line myself! Glad you liked this watch! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Wow, many congrats my friend, that is a stunning entry into PP! Supermarket lighting can sharpen up your watch pics no doubt.
For sure....and in all fairness this thing does well EVERYWHERE! Thanks Neil and keep sprinkling the 5711r bait lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter_008 View Post
5170P is beautiful!
Yep, very stunning thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Wow, huge congratulations! I am so happy for you, after having read your woes of seeking out a Nautilus.

That's really entering the Patek world with a bang! You really don't mess around! I am really interested in hearing more about your journey to the 5170P - it is a dream piece of mine.
Thanks for your kind words. Funny you mention the Nautilus......when it rains it pours apparently lol. But yeah for me I'm far more into the complications/grand complications now. The sports models are nice but Patek's watchmaking is really on another level with the finishing/complications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soran View Post
Baguette diamond markers are very nice. A first they look like normal sticks but when you look again..top
Indeed. That is exactly how these come off IRL. Thanks for commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
+3....^^^.... Ditto.... This watch should have an incoming thread of it own...... But know brother John he like to be low key.....

"Hi" brother John......

Congratulations.....!!!

My wife & I so happy for you...!!!...

Glad you didn't settle for the 5711 and went with the flagship Patek 5170P...

Next thing you know you will get a call form your AD regarding the 5711.....

Best Regards,
Tony&Vall
Tony buddy! Thanks for the kind words. You are another main force behind buying this watch. Appreciate all the great insight and advice along the way. Finally it's here and time to enjoy! No calls from my local AD.....but the Nautilus thing well......secret will be out of the bag soon. Let's just say I'm getting my deposit back asap lol. Let's grab a drink next time you're in SD!

Thanks all again for the fine comments/complements. Another shot just because this watch looks awesome everywhere!

Old 3 June 2018, 10:53 PM   #146
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Your pics are amazing, and I know firsthand how convincing Steve can be!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #147
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Finally it's here and time to enjoy! No calls from my local AD.....but the Nautilus thing well......secret will be out of the bag soon. Let's just say I'm getting my deposit back asap lol. Let's grab a drink next time you're in SD!

Thanks all again for the fine comments/complements. Another shot just because this watch looks awesome everywhere!

Super photogenic. Congrats on the beauty best balanced dial and a always useful bit of lime on the hands.
Old 4 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #148
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Your pics are amazing, and I know firsthand how convincing Steve can be!

Old 4 June 2018, 03:01 AM   #149
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the story... Very interesting that the other two watches that were in the running was the Speedmaster and the Daytona.... To me the hands down winner is the 5170P....

To be honest I never really put those three in the same group as even though they are all chrono’s, I always thought the Patek was more of a dress watch and the others as sport watches.

But that’s why I like hearing about others thought process and the story behind their buying these great watches. Always something to learn.

My dream would be to own a Patek. The 5170P and / or the 5905P are two watches that I would love to own... But at their price point it may never happen or at best maybe one down the road.

You hit a home run with this purchase. Very happy for you on buying this incredible looking watch!

Again a big congrats!!
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 04:01 AM   #150
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the story... Very interesting that the other two watches that were in the running was the Speedmaster and the Daytona.... To me the hands down winner is the 5170P....

To be honest I never really put those three in the same group as even though they are all chrono’s, I always thought the Patek was more of a dress watch and the others as sport watches.

But that’s why I like hearing about others thought process and the story behind their buying these great watches. Always something to learn.

My dream would be to own a Patek. The 5170P and / or the 5905P are two watches that I would love to own... But at their price point it may never happen or at best maybe one down the road.

You hit a home run with this purchase. Very happy for you on buying this incredible looking watch!

Again a big congrats!!
Well......don't want to be misunderstood but the chronos that Patek and Lange make are definitely in a whole other world compared to Daytonas and Speedmasters. I just own my fair share of Speedies and Daytonas and didn't see the need to go to a dress chrono/next level until I discovered the 5170P. So I totally agree with your assessment and wish you the best of luck down the line acquiring one of these bad boys. Do take a good look @ the Datographs too from Lange as I was smitten with those as well....but the Patek is just SOOOOOO much more wearable for a small wrist like mine (6.375"). Thanks again!