The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #31
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Just get the right watch and don't look back.
which one?!? that is the question!!!!!
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:22 AM   #32
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I was so thinking that this morning. While driving to work, I was thinking why wouldn't my wife understand my "need" for more watches. Then I looked over and in the car next to me, a lady with her nice purse (she was looking into her purse behind red light)... anyway, I thought: Would I understand if my wife told me she 'needed' a variety of high end purses??

Then I justified my own position by thinking: "but these are Rolexes... they appreciate in value!"
right? Rolex appreciates that’s what I tell my wife all the time
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:24 AM   #33
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
right? Rolex appreciates that’s what I tell my wife all the time
Whatever you do, do NOT let her see or hear about 'Hermes Birkin'.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:28 AM   #34
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT let her see or hear about 'Hermes Birkin'.
Too late! Luckily she doesn’t need to have it.. she’s currently happy with her Chanel and LV collection, which I am extremely glad! But I hear it’s the Rolex Daytona of purses... but there’s only so much I can buy at Hermès besides a couple belts etc.. so lucky me
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 09:14 PM   #35
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
Stay away from the internet and the madness, as you put it, will stop.

No internet kills the want to buy and to have and to consume.
Very good point indeed.
Old 6 October 2018, 09:57 PM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Watches were my first big indulgence, however at some point I figured what and which ones I wanted and after getting those I moved on to the next hobby.

Pretty much the same process with the next hobby. Put my toe in the water, check the tempature, and dive in. Figure out what I like, determine what all is out there, make a few mistakes, and focus on getting those that speak to me the most. Then onto the next adventure. Have a bit of fun here, enjoy what I have, then do something a bit different.

I think I see the end of the tunnell on the latest one but I’m not quite there. It took me awhile to figure the latest one out but I think I’m there and now it’s time to figure out which of the many I want the most.

To be honest I think it’s the time I spent researching and checking things out that ended up being the most fun.

Enjoy the ride and experience as much as possible. Do those things that put the biggest possible smile on your face as possible.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 12:39 AM   #37
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraCrispy View Post
That's one of the benefits of having a level headed wife. I'm always looking for my 'next' watch - when I find it. She'll ask "why do you need this one" or "how is this different than the last one you bought". She doesn't hold me back, just keeps me in check - which is a good thing.
Same here. But mine adds, "If you come home with another watch, I'll kill you." Much as I love her, I love life more.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 01:20 AM   #38
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Same here. But mine adds, "If you come home with another watch, I'll kill you." Much as I love her, I love life more.
Amen to that! We all know the saying...

Happy wife = happy life.
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:32 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I wrote this on TimeZone about 10 years ago or so.....

State of the disease.

The other day, I got to pondering this whole watch collecting madness. I know it’s something we all do from time to time. In our hearts, we all know it’s a sickness. We know that we’ll never ever be satisfied, no matter which watch we buy. In fact a couple of months after we get it home we are secretly slipping out at night to the watch emporiums looking at the newest designs, you know, to see the state of the industry, not really shopping.

Whoa, there’s a cool one. Love that moon phase. Boy I could sure use that too. How many times has someone asked me if I know what the moon is doing tonight? That’s great. You tell yourself, this one could very well be the one. The one that finally makes me happy. So we fantasize about it on our wrist. How cool we will look with it, how we’ll be the envy of everyone. How we can’t wait to take pictures of it and post it on the watch sites. Yes siree, there’s a pretty good chance that our sex life is about to take a turn for the better.

But alas, we buy it, and nobody notices. Or the ones that do, think we are crazy for spending massive sums of money for something that can be bought in a department store, for a fraction of the cost and actually keeps better time than this marvel of engineering. Undeterred, we know we are right and they just don’t understand. So we trudge on home from work every night, to our one bedroom fully furnished apartment, and spend the rest of the evening sitting on the floor polishing our magnificent collection.

We’re interrupted by the neighbor lady when she bangs on the door to tell us that she has another fed ex package for us and will we please not use her as a delivery service. You say to yourself what a loser. She sits at home all day dusting her stupid knickknacks that she has parked on every surface in every room of her stinking apartment. Her 6 cats have pretty much made the building about ready to be condemned.

Sometimes on these lonely nights polishing and admiring, you slip into a state of depression, and wonder to yourself, where did it all go so wrong…

Is it that you’re able to tell the time in every major city in the world but realize that you’ve spent so much on watches that there isn’t a hope in hell you could every afford to actually go to one of them.

Or is it when you’re out on a blind date and your date keeps looking at her watch, and you think you’ve found a fellow traveler, so you excitedly describe to this woman of your dreams, how your watch has a blend of ceramic and titanium with an overlay or plutonium, and you disappointedly see her eyes glaze over. Then later on, when you asker her if you can see her again she says sure, just call the agency and give them your credit card number, …..you realize that maybe you need help.

So you put a moratorium on watch buying and sign up with a shrink to try to cure yourself of this hideous disease. And things are going great. It’s been almost three months and you haven’t bought one watch.

And there you are, early, because the Patek is running a little fast, sitting in your shrinks office leafing through a magazine and suddenly it hits you. There it is. It almost jumps off the page at you.

It’s perfect. Everything about it is perfect. Every single thing. It’s as if I designed it myself. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a watch, in one perfect package. And you realize that you don’t need the shrink at all. Because you’ve finally found it. You’re cured. And it’s even got a display back.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:56 AM   #40
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I wrote this on TimeZone about 10 years ago or so.....

State of the disease.
Man, that's brilliant - and uncomfortably on the nose, despite the humor and (I hope) exaggeration. Thanks for bringing this back ten years on.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:59 AM   #41
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I need one more, then I'm done.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote