The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2021, 05:40 AM   #31
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Scrolling thru this thread being it looks like my AD might be receiving one, this was my close 2nd choice next to the 50th Anniversary Silver Snoopy.
Old 22 October 2021, 05:58 PM   #32
Borsika
Banned

To me 321 Speedy looks optically bigger than Daytona because dial is actually bigger.

The 321 is a fantastic watch that ticks all boxes. Just so much finer than the standard moonwatch. The metal bracelet itself is a work of art. It is so classy, so fine, so subtle, best ever bracelet I have had (and I have had a few including Nautilus and Royal Oak). A superb watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5134.jpg (95.8 KB, 319 views)
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 08:59 PM   #33
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Thank you for posting comparison photo (I see the size difference immediately & thought the dial was quite large initially). This should fit well w my white dial 116520, I was intending on purchasing a pre owned G serial pam183 but now all future watch purchases are on hold if I receive the text that the 321 has arrived.
Old 23 October 2021, 12:01 AM   #34
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsika View Post
To me 321 Speedy looks optically bigger than Daytona because dial is actually bigger.

The 321 is a fantastic watch that ticks all boxes. Just so much finer than the standard moonwatch. The metal bracelet itself is a work of art. It is so classy, so fine, so subtle, best ever bracelet I have had (and I have had a few including Nautilus and Royal Oak). A superb watch.

I completely agree about the bracelet, but in fairness for anyone else reading, the bracelet can be had independent of the 321 so that shouldn’t really be a deciding factor imo. You can add the Apollo 11 bracelet to the moonwatch as I’ve done here. This comes at a total MSRP cost under 50% of the Ed White MSRP cost.

The Ed White is really about the 321 movement, and don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful. But while I love this watch, to me there are also design choices that I wish were more historically relevant: hesalite, aluminum bezel and oh how I wish they did it in a steel speedmaster professional case (twisted lugs, crown guards) to be a recreation of the first watch on the moon.

I’d probably buy the 321 if offered because the movement is beautiful and who knows if my wish list above will ever happen, but I’m very happy with my customized Speedmaster Moonwatch for now.

logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:27 AM   #35
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I completely agree about the bracelet, but in fairness for anyone else reading, the bracelet can be had independent of the 321 so that shouldn’t really be a deciding factor imo. You can add the Apollo 11 bracelet to the moonwatch as I’ve done here. This comes at a total MSRP cost under 50% of the Ed White MSRP cost.

The Ed White is really about the 321 movement, and don’t get me wrong it’s beautiful. But while I love this watch, to me there are also design choices that I wish were more historically relevant: hesalite, aluminum bezel and oh how I wish they did it in a steel speedmaster professional case (twisted lugs, crown guards) to be a recreation of the first watch on the moon.

I’d probably buy the 321 if offered because the movement is beautiful and who knows if my wish list above will ever happen, but I’m very happy with my customized Speedmaster Moonwatch for now.

Funny, I like the 321 for some of the reasons you wish they’d changed - sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, straighter lugs, no crown guards. I don’t own one, but would love to get a call for one someday.

Your Speedy looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 05:18 AM   #36
Borsika
Banned

Quote:

Thank you for the bracelet info, I didnt know that. This bracelet is so much more classy and elegant than the standard one used for many decades.

The 321 platinum version has the speedmaster professional case, so I guess Omega didnt want to come out with the same case in the steel version. That might have completely killed the sale of the platinum one. I personally like more the ck2998 case used here. I love its more squarish and slimmer profile and the lack of crown guards gives it a vintage feeling.

Omega did a great job with the sapphire crystal here. It almost looks like a hesalite. It doesnt have the white ring around the dial as the sapphire crystal speedmasters usually have.

Nice touch that the minute hand and chronograph seconds hand tips bend down a little bit and also like the slightly yellower tone of the luminova on the hands and hour indices.
Old 23 October 2021, 05:24 AM   #37
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Funny, I like the 321 for some of the reasons you wish they’d changed - sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, straighter lugs, no crown guards. I don’t own one, but would love to get a call for one someday.

Your Speedy looks great!

Same here - I don’t like the professional case as much. Nor do I Particularly want a plastic crystal on a modern watch, but each to their own….the flat link looks good on all speedies.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 08:54 PM   #38
Borsika
Banned

I think Ed White makes a nice pair with Breitling 806 Re Edition. (Photo is little deceptive. Breitling is 41mm and on photo it looks actually smaller than the Omega but in real life they are very close to each other in size.) The Breitling Navitimer Re Edition is a exceptional piece that has not been appreciated very much by the market. It is getting more popular but still can be found below its former retail price that is absurd in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5137.jpg (71.6 KB, 263 views)
Old 23 October 2021, 10:17 PM   #39
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think Ed White makes a nice pair with Breitling 806 Re Edition. (Photo is little deceptive. Breitling is 41mm and on photo it looks actually smaller than the Omega but in real life they are very close to each other in size.) The Breitling Navitimer Re Edition is a exceptional piece that has not been appreciated very much by the market. It is getting more popular but still can be found below its former retail price that is absurd in my opinion.
The 806 is a beauty - what a fantastic pair
Old 23 October 2021, 11:07 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Hi - first post but just thought I’d share my perspective as an owner.

I’m a huge Omega fan but I’ve always found the 42mm Speedmaster Professional a little too large for my wrists (6.75 inches and quite flat) As such I was really excited by both the idea and size of the 321. My sweet spot is probably 38mm but a 116710 GMT-Master is also a great fit and no issues.

I picked up my 321 a few months ago and although the watch is absolutely stunning, I haven’t been able to get on with the size at all. IMO it wears much larger than 39.7mm primarily because the thin bezel accentuates the size of the dial. The watch actually looks okay at a distance but I can’t get on with how it looks on my wrist close up.

I’ve actually been wearing a 42mm NTTD on NATO strap for the last couple of months, which is large for me but the size ‘feels’ okay The 321 just feels like a much larger watch than it is. It’s a beautiful timepiece but I’ve not been wearing it which is a shame.
Welcome to the forum Jon

Sorry to hear your not loving it. At this price point, you should be absolutely head over heels in love with it. Just another reason why I need to see one in person before buying
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:16 AM   #41
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Same here - I don’t like the professional case as much. Nor do I Particularly want a plastic crystal on a modern watch, but each to their own….the flat link looks good on all speedies.

I see where you are coming from here, and my guess is Omega chose this and the ceramic bezel to distinguish it from original 321 speedmasters which some go for near the same price as the Ed White. I think there’s no right or wrong answer, just preference, and again I still do love the 321, but to play devils advocate, couldn’t the same be said for the 321 movement itself? Why have an old movement in a modern timepiece?
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 03:14 AM   #42
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see where you are coming from here, and my guess is Omega chose this and the ceramic bezel to distinguish it from original 321 speedmasters which some go for near the same price as the Ed White. I think there’s no right or wrong answer, just preference, and again I still do love the 321, but to play devils advocate, couldn’t the same be said for the 321 movement itself? Why have an old movement in a modern timepiece?
Yes, It’s an old movement but with some tweaks (Sedna etc) which makes it look awesome. Bear in mind too that the Lemania movement has been used by the likes of patek, vacheron etc. so it has some history. How much do you think one of the other brands would sell for if they released today?

It’s all horses for courses. I personally love that I can have a great historical movement in a modern watch with all that brings - I don't want a vintage piece with all the headaches they can give. If you are happy with the 3861 then you’ve saved yourself some cash and are all good. As you say, there isn’t a wrong answer here really
Old 24 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #43
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Everyone has interesting thoughts on this watch. IMO it's not the de facto Speedy to own (but this is coming from a Speedmaster collector more or less....I cannot imagine having just 1 Speedmaster). I have rather small wrists so I far prefer the professional case wiht the twisted/curved lugs....it just sits better versus the straight lugs. Although it has a smaller diameter vs the professional cases, to me it wears far larger due to the case shape.

I normally slightly favor the hesalite (honestly I don't think the sapphire kills the watch like some think with the ring) but this sapphire crystal like others have mentioned is very special, it has no milky ring and is very reminiscent of the hesalite without as much distortion.

Bracelet is to die for as is the movement, there is no debate there from me. I really love this bracelet and think it's the best I've ever felt OEM wise from Omega for a bracelet. 321 movement is extremely nice to look at and well decorated along with the historical heritage.

The money this watch commands is worth it to myself...but many people have differing opinions that collect vintage Speedmasters or just want a "moonwatch." There are much cheaper ways about it. No wrong decisions, Speedies are awesome.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 08:49 AM   #44
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

At double the price of the sapphire sandwich and I suspect higher servicing costs, this one is for collectors. The clean dial, ceramic dial and sapphire glass as well as comfort appeals to those who actually wear it. I suspect just as many potential buyers would balk as an easily scratched hesaljte crystal / bezel vs the safer modern choice at this price point. 19mm lugs - love it or hate it.

There’s a bit of wait on the 321. I don’t think it’s jumped in value like snoopy either. But the movement is beautiful and it’s an easy pick if money was no object.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:02 PM   #45
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
It’s worth it. -Will always be hard to buy new from an AD or OB. Will always sell used for at least what you paid and will always cost >MSRP via the grey market. It may not ever climb like a Snoopy. I’d expect it to climb like a typical sports Rolex before the craziness began.

The rebirth of the 321 is special for Omega. This is a special watch. It’s definitely not for everyone. A standard hesalite Moonwarch 861 of any recent variety is the one to start with.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:22 PM   #46
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Looks like I might be joining you guys on here shortly, my ad sent me a text just the other day he might be able to get a 321 so waiting on the next text when it arrives. Any of you owners out there receive a discount on one of these or these sell at MSRP like the silver snoopy?
Old 25 October 2021, 01:08 PM   #47
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
Looks like I might be joining you guys on here shortly, my ad sent me a text just the other day he might be able to get a 321 so waiting on the next text when it arrives. Any of you owners out there receive a discount on one of these or these sell at MSRP like the silver snoopy?
MSRP from the OB. No freebies tossed in…
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:17 PM   #48
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

That is a great side by side, it truly identifies the legibility difference in these two chrono’s
Old 26 October 2021, 04:46 AM   #49
Borsika
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
That is a great side by side, it truly identifies the legibility difference in these two chrono’s
People don't buy Daytonas to see the time nor to use the chrono function.
Old 26 October 2021, 04:51 AM   #50
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
People don't buy Daytonas to see the time nor to use the chrono function.
Speak for yourself!
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:56 PM   #51
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Ed White 321 owners

Another comparison photo - next to a black 116500. I was sceptical, but the Daytona wears MUCH smaller. Partly due to the L2L but also down to the dial being much smaller also.

I used to own a black Daytona and never had any issue reading the time, but as a chronograph I did find it somewhat lacking.

For a 39.7mm watch, the 321 sure has some wrist presence. Having not worn one for a couple of years however, the Daytona is bloody nice also. If I could have both, I definitely would.

Old 26 October 2021, 09:36 PM   #52
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Great pic we the both of them next to one another, does anyone have a comparison pic of a 116520 & 321 (preferably white dial) ?
Old 28 October 2021, 09:23 AM   #53
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
The Ed White is a stunner, definitely for those who appreciate all that it is. The Omega boutique in Los Angeles has only seen a few, and they will offer them to previous buyers based on purchase history, so the big spenders will get the call first...but must be ready to jump, because the boutique will only give you 24 hours to come in and buy it before they offer it to the next person down the list.

I've expressed interest, but imagine there are many others that are ahead in line, so I don't expect to get it and I'm not willing to go the grey route, as I don't want the watch THAT much. If my number comes up, though, then it's meant to be and I'll scramble to bring it home.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 11:50 AM   #54
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Very nice watch...love the movement.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote