The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 November 2021, 04:03 PM   #121
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I would do it if it is only 1 grand complication. The folks here are looking for more
Same. I was told 2-3. And I pushed back. And I still was told 2-3.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 04:04 PM   #122
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyx999 View Post
As a Lange collector and fan, I think a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon recently and complain because they can’t get what they want. That goes for all the recent popular brands too
Forgive me, but you missed the point of most of our strife here in this thread.

Old 15 November 2021, 07:07 PM   #123
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Forgive me, but you missed the point of most of our strife here in this thread.

Not sure he has, it is the same problem all super popular brands have when demand exceeds supply by a large margin and particularly when it is concentrated on a few pieces in the range. Lange are making 200 ZW Lumens and I would bet they could sell 1000+ to existing good clients and countless more to new devotees and speculators.

What can they do, how do they spread the 200 fairly? Some Boutiques will have 10's of great clients per piece, there is no easy answer. Bundling of other pieces is not something I condone but if a potential buyer having been told they don't qualify then asks well what would qualify me? Well that is an entirely different scenario in my mind. I obviously can't comment on the personal experiences all contributors to this thread have encountered in asking for a ZW Lumen so I'm not defending any poor practice that has been experienced.
For my part all I can say is I wasn't asked to bundle, I didn't ask if I could bundle, but was contacted personally and given a thought out and transparent reason why I had been unsuccessful in my application.

I have no argument with the response, except to say I am immensely disappointed as I love the piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 07:40 PM   #124
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I hear you, Russell. I really do.

That said, I was not given the same courtesy of transparency and respect/appreciation.

Furthermore, brands need to re-evaluate their limitation numbers since their customer base has 10x'd in recent years. 200 examples used to be "rare" in many cases, now it's "absurdly rare."

But to be told to bundle with a Tourbillon or two, or an MR and a Tourbillon, that's a bit of an insult. That's not how you separate the loyalists from the wannabes.

Old 16 November 2021, 03:11 AM   #125
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not sure he has, it is the same problem all super popular brands have when demand exceeds supply by a large margin and particularly when it is concentrated on a few pieces in the range. Lange are making 200 ZW Lumens and I would bet they could sell 1000+ to existing good clients and countless more to new devotees and speculators.

What can they do, how do they spread the 200 fairly? Some Boutiques will have 10's of great clients per piece, there is no easy answer. Bundling of other pieces is not something I condone but if a potential buyer having been told they don't qualify then asks well what would qualify me? Well that is an entirely different scenario in my mind. I obviously can't comment on the personal experiences all contributors to this thread have encountered in asking for a ZW Lumen so I'm not defending any poor practice that has been experienced.
For my part all I can say is I wasn't asked to bundle, I didn't ask if I could bundle, but was contacted personally and given a thought out and transparent reason why I had been unsuccessful in my application.

I have no argument with the response, except to say I am immensely disappointed as I love the piece.
And here lies the exact issue! If a person like you can’t obtain the lumen, what does it take to actually get one? It’s just getting ridiculous when top collectors are being shunted as well.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 06:14 AM   #126
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
And here lies the exact issue! If a person like you can’t obtain the lumen, what does it take to actually get one? It’s just getting ridiculous when top collectors are being shunted as well.

Old 16 November 2021, 09:57 AM   #127
flyboyx999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I’ve learned that in the world of luxury products, there is always a bigger collector. (That goes for wine, watches, cars, etc) so don’t feel bad, sometime we are peasants compare to the big dogs.
flyboyx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 10:17 AM   #128
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve learned that in the world of luxury products, there is always a bigger collector. (That goes for wine, watches, cars, etc) so don’t feel bad, sometime we are peasants compare to the big dogs.
Except that's not the issue here.

The issue is that they are trumping "big" or "bigger" collectors with collectors who are willing to bundle a Tourbillon and an MR.
Old 16 November 2021, 05:26 PM   #129
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course there are bigger fishes in the ocean, unless one is named Elon…. But the point I’m trying to put across is that if a mega collector like Russell996 is not able to get a ZW lumen, then we have an issue here because long term purchase history and collecting is no longer viewed favourably compared to bundling on day of purchase. What’s going to happen is that any RICH person can just go in to the boutique, agree to any pre-requisite bundle offers and walk out with the ZW lumen. Are long term collectors going to be cast aside for newcomers with money who might end up just flipping the watches and walk away with a tidy sum of profit?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 09:06 PM   #130
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern View Post

that said, i was not given the same courtesy of transparency and respect/appreciation.

+1.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 11:25 PM   #131
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If you're really in the market for an ALS, i'd wait five or six months as by then there should be an even higher abundance of secondary market ALS timepieces... at very attractive discount pricing. Check out Chrono24 and the abundance of ALS pieces that are there now(!).

Or for the same money, you could easily support a high-quality independent watchmaker company with top horological significance instead of more mass-produced Richemont watches. Added plus, odds are during a GTG you won't have three others in the group with the same timpeiece/brand on their wrist.

Think differently.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:30 AM   #132
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
But to be told to bundle with a Tourbillon or two, or an MR and a Tourbillon, that's a bit of an insult. That's not how you separate the loyalists from the wannabes.

That's how you easily make a lot of money, though.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 12:38 PM   #133
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
That's how you easily make a lot of money, though.
Short term money at the expense of long term cash flow and stability.

These are pure luxuries. My iPhone tells better time than all my Lange's combined.

A pure luxury is an absolute unneeded item. You cannot sustain long term business by burning those most loyal to you.
Old 17 November 2021, 11:06 PM   #134
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Short term money at the expense of long term cash flow and stability.

These are pure luxuries. My iPhone tells better time than all my Lange's combined.

A pure luxury is an absolute unneeded item. You cannot sustain long term business by burning those most loyal to you.
Well, ever heard of a brand called "Rolex"?
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:11 PM   #135
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Everyone is getting so worked up about a watch they won’t start to deliver for 2 years

A lot changes in this world in 2 years of late
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 12:13 AM   #136
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Everyone is getting so worked up about a watch they won’t start to deliver for 2 years

A lot changes in this world in 2 years of late
2 years to start deliveries, not what I was led to believe.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 02:12 AM   #137
raclaims
"TRF" Member

That's what they told me.

Had dinner with the CEO Wilhelm Schmid Monday (I didn't ask him that question tho)

It's great that they are seeing so much interest in the brand but hand made highly technical pieces assembled twice doesn't happen quickly so I believe we will need to be patient and be thrilled that there are still companies doing things the right way
Old 18 November 2021, 02:53 AM   #138
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Any word on whether the old gen 1 Zeitwerks are discontinued or not?
diracpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 03:06 AM   #139
raclaims
"TRF" Member

If not yet they will be for sure 100%
Old 18 November 2021, 03:35 AM   #140
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
That's what they told me.

Had dinner with the CEO Wilhelm Schmid Monday (I didn't ask him that question tho)

It's great that they are seeing so much interest in the brand but hand made highly technical pieces assembled twice doesn't happen quickly so I believe we will need to be patient and be thrilled that there are still companies doing things the right way
He needs to be asked the bundling question straight up by someone. He gives enough interviews someone should bring it up. Was it him or Richemont?
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 01:25 PM   #141
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Well, ever heard of a brand called "Rolex"?
Rolex doesn't count. They produce and sell over a million watches per year.

Some ADs receive 10+ SS Daytonas a month.
Old 18 November 2021, 01:26 PM   #142
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

They're pre-selling the bundled watches, so even though it might take 6-24 months for some of these Lumen Zeitwerks to deliver, the bundling already happened.

Saying that things can change in two years actually sounds worse: It means they could reneg on the verbal agreement that if you bundle you'll get a Lumen.

Old 18 November 2021, 01:26 PM   #143
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diracpoint View Post
Any word on whether the old gen 1 Zeitwerks are discontinued or not?
As far as I'm told, the Time Only Zeitwerks have been discontinued. There might be some left in the system that they could pull from if you want, but otherwise you're limited to the sound generating ones or the Date. (Until they reintroduce the time-only ones with the new movement from the Lumen.)
Old 18 November 2021, 02:21 PM   #144
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As far as I'm told, the Time Only Zeitwerks have been discontinued. There might be some left in the system that they could pull from if you want, but otherwise you're limited to the sound generating ones or the Date. (Until they reintroduce the time-only ones with the new movement from the Lumen.)
Woah, that's too bad. The vanilla version is nice b/c of how thin it is along with the stripped down minimalist dial-side...
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 02:22 PM   #145
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Woah, that's too bad. The vanilla version is nice b/c of how thin it is along with the stripped down minimalist dial-side...
It's most likely coming back with the Lumen's movement. I see no reason to assume it won't.
Old 23 November 2021, 01:38 AM   #146
Stranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser Streamliner
I'm sure this issue must have been studied by economists.

Personally, I think the best approach would be a lottery. The applications would be controlled by the retailer, submitted to ALS, and ALS would allocate their production by a lottery they would run. You would need a way to limit entries to one per model per customer, but that's a problem that can be solved.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 01:51 AM   #147
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
I'm sure this issue must have been studied by economists.

Personally, I think the best approach would be a lottery. The applications would be controlled by the retailer, submitted to ALS, and ALS would allocate their production by a lottery they would run. You would need a way to limit entries to one per model per customer, but that's a problem that can be solved.
Good idea. A lottery makes sense. Gives clients an opportunity to get a grail piece.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote