The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2021, 08:42 AM   #1
msg315
"TRF" Member

PP or ALS?

Gents,

Appreciate opinions. I am looking for a dress piece and have settled on the PP 5120G or the ALS Richard Lange 232.026 Boutique Edition). Both very clean, simple, time only. PP is a tad small at 35mm (my wrist 7.25") and the ALS is a tad large at 41mm (for pure dress). Leaning PP as it so iconic (I had a 3919G but was too small at 33mm), love the micro rotor and view of the caliber 240. This Richard Lange is much "warmer" IMHO than other ALS variants, the blue hands are gorgeous and I like a manual wind for dress but again, 42mm seems a bit large for classic dress. The L041.2 engine is sublime. Tough one. Thoughs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
msg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:57 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
The calatrava hobnail is iconic but I couldn’t wear a watch that small . So Lange on this one for me

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:39 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

If you are interested in a hobnail calatrava, how about the 6119G?

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/calatrava/6119G-001
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:57 AM   #4
msg315
"TRF" Member

thanks for your recommendation
Old 25 October 2021, 09:57 AM   #5
msg315
"TRF" Member

not just the hobnail. i prefer the white dial, black romans and no subseconds dial. these are the only two i am considering.
Old 25 October 2021, 10:03 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Fair enough. Between those 2 I would still opt for the Patek. I for one feel that dress watch should wear smaller. And though I like the ALS, the size is too big.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:12 AM   #7
msg315
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree with this logic. Thanks for your input.

Old 25 October 2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

The hands on the ALS do it for me also so I’d vote for that. But to be completely honest, I would steer against either and keep looking. It seems you already see some negatives with either route and unless it becomes pure joy when you add one of these here, you may always look back with a degree of buyers remorse or regret.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:51 AM   #9
msg315
"TRF" Member

Well said, and good advice.

Old 25 October 2021, 01:29 PM   #10
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Between these 2, I have to say the ALS wins by a mile, imo.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 01:54 PM   #11
MP777
"TRF" Member

5120 for me. It’s a classic and the micro rotor is
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:00 PM   #12
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

ALS for me.
Old 25 October 2021, 05:47 PM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

The 5120 looks better in my eyes with its timeless minimal design where even the hobnail makes sense (unlike on the 6119 which is quite a mess IMO). Sure, the backside of the Richard Lange is gorgeous and the dial is nice too, but at 41mm it is too large for a basic, classic dress watch for most people. The dial is simply too big. I have yet to see a wrist shot where it looks good size wise.

For reference, on my 6.6 inch wrists a 37mm 5196 or Saxonia Thin look quite large. I'd love to own a Richard Lange PLM but 41mm just doesn't make sense. Sports watches with wider bezels / smaller dials are a different matter - no problem with a 5711 at 40 to 43mm depending on how you measure it.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:26 AM   #14
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
5120 for me. It’s a classic and the micro rotor is
agreed, the micro rotor has always been a winner for me!
Old 26 October 2021, 12:29 AM   #15
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The 5120 looks better in my eyes with its timeless minimal design where even the hobnail makes sense (unlike on the 6119 which is quite a mess IMO). Sure, the backside of the Richard Lange is gorgeous and the dial is nice too, but at 41mm it is too large for a basic, classic dress watch for most people. The dial is simply too big. I have yet to see a wrist shot where it looks good size wise.

For reference, on my 6.6 inch wrists a 37mm 5196 or Saxonia Thin look quite large. I'd love to own a Richard Lange PLM but 41mm just doesn't make sense. Sports watches with wider bezels / smaller dials are a different matter - no problem with a 5711 at 40 to 43mm depending on how you measure it.
all good points. the case size on the 6119 is good but hobnail gets visually compounded with the railroad track and as you say, is quite a mess in comparison.
Old 26 October 2021, 12:57 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

ALS if you're into modern and sleek, Hobnail for old-school legacy formal wear. So your decision might be a bit age-dependant per se.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:46 AM   #17
Billfav
"TRF" Member

You need to try the ALS on

If the ALS is still a consideration I would recommend you try it on. I lusted for the Richard Lange until I actually put one on my wrist. They wear large. I have smaller wrists than you, but the shape of that timepiece is very flat. For my it was like wearing a pie plate or pocket watch on my wrist. So for me I would pick the PP.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:03 AM   #18
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
If the ALS is still a consideration I would recommend you try it on. I lusted for the Richard Lange until I actually put one on my wrist. They wear large. I have smaller wrists than you, but the shape of that timepiece is very flat. For my it was like wearing a pie plate or pocket watch on my wrist. So for me I would pick the PP.
good info, thx!
Old 26 October 2021, 05:17 AM   #19
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
The RL wears a bit large, but you may not feel that way on a 7.25'' wrist. It is, in my opinion a far superior watch. The dial is illuminated by sunlight, the movement is gorgeous, and the heft is reassuring but not onerous. Despite being a minimal design, the size helps it be a more casual piece as well: at home in a t-shirt and jeans as it is a suit or tux. It is, however, probably, close to double the price of the Patek.

The Patek will certainly wear small - and in my opinion, is very mediocre as a design. It's the true entry level Patek and it feels that way in every way. It is also SO dressy that it doesn't look right dressed down, which may or may not be a concern.

In my opinion, it's no question that the ALS is the better pick.

You really need to try them on, and leave them on your wrist for 5-10 minutes each at least to get a feel of them. The choice is yours - keep us posted! Good luck with your decision.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:27 AM   #20
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I generally prefer ALS as a brand, but with that big a difference in case size if I’ve only got those two options I can’t not choose on that basis.

I’ve got small wrists and prefer watches on the small side so for a dress watch it’s 35mm for me.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #21
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
I would say Lange without hesitation if it were not for this size. I have a wrist exactly like yours and I wear a Lange Up / Down which is 39mm in size and is optimal for my wrist in my opinion. I believe that a 41mm case can spoil the image of an elegant watch on an 18.5cm wrist.

In this case, I advise you to try on - without it I would not buy a Patek (theoretically a little small) or Lange (too big in my opinion).
Old 27 October 2021, 05:20 AM   #22
PrecisionMoment
"TRF" Member

I would go with Lange
I may be biased because there is just something about Lange that attracts me
PrecisionMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #23
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
The RL wears a bit large, but you may not feel that way on a 7.25'' wrist. It is, in my opinion a far superior watch. The dial is illuminated by sunlight, the movement is gorgeous, and the heft is reassuring but not onerous. Despite being a minimal design, the size helps it be a more casual piece as well: at home in a t-shirt and jeans as it is a suit or tux. It is, however, probably, close to double the price of the Patek.

The Patek will certainly wear small - and in my opinion, is very mediocre as a design. It's the true entry level Patek and it feels that way in every way. It is also SO dressy that it doesn't look right dressed down, which may or may not be a concern.

In my opinion, it's no question that the ALS is the better pick.

You really need to try them on, and leave them on your wrist for 5-10 minutes each at least to get a feel of them. The choice is yours - keep us posted! Good luck with your decision.
agreed, trying them on is ideal but easier said than done! thx
Old 27 October 2021, 05:33 AM   #24
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
I would say Lange without hesitation if it were not for this size. I have a wrist exactly like yours and I wear a Lange Up / Down which is 39mm in size and is optimal for my wrist in my opinion. I believe that a 41mm case can spoil the image of an elegant watch on an 18.5cm wrist.

In this case, I advise you to try on - without it I would not buy a Patek (theoretically a little small) or Lange (too big in my opinion).
agreed 39mm is the ideal size!
Old 27 October 2021, 05:35 AM   #25
msg315
"TRF" Member

thanks all for the input. very helpful! my gut is the PP is too small and the ALS is too big. back to the hunt!
Old 27 October 2021, 06:38 AM   #26
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg315 View Post
thanks all for the input. very helpful! my gut is the PP is too small and the ALS is too big. back to the hunt!

Good choice, don’t make compromises.
Old 27 October 2021, 07:03 AM   #27
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
The hands on the ALS do it for me also so I’d vote for that. But to be completely honest, I would steer against either and keep looking. It seems you already see some negatives with either route and unless it becomes pure joy when you add one of these here, you may always look back with a degree of buyers remorse or regret.
Great advice, don’t settle.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 08:55 AM   #28
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Good choice, don’t make compromises.
Old 27 October 2021, 08:56 AM   #29
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
Great advice, don’t settle.
agreed.
Old 27 October 2021, 01:27 PM   #30
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Lange’s newest size seems to be 38.5. So if I were you I’d be looking at a 38.5 Lange that appeals to you. 35mm imo is an oddball and very small size.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote