The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2021, 03:38 AM   #2431
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I watched the qualifying on Saturday. What an absolutely fabulous race track and the crowd were brilliant. I dont have the sports package on my subscription, it is (in my opinion) too expensive for what it is. I will look forward to the hi lights later on.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 06:48 AM   #2432
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Brilliant final laps.

Squatty rear HAM chassis piece didn’t make up the advantage VER and RBR had. But good for Fastest Lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 07:52 AM   #2433
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Fun race, good track too. The fans win as normality returns.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:14 AM   #2434
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Perhaps Schumacher saved Verstappen giving him the DRS
Old 25 October 2021, 08:27 AM   #2435
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
An absolute master class drive by Max! After watching the post race interviews from both Horner and Wolff, it unanimous that the RB was faster on the mediums but slower on the hards and most of the race was on the hards. Horner did not believe they would win on their strategy but Max made it work.

Great battles up and down the grid and happy that both Perez and Riccardo are finally getting comfortable with their respective cars. Can't explain what happened to Lando this weekend. RIC was the star of the weekend with his Dale Sr. drive, cowboy attire and all the interviews but never actually saw Lando anywhere including post race.

LeClerk did his usual unassuming brilliant drive. Man how I wish the Ferrari's are on pace next year as well as the HAAS.... They said they were putting all their resources into 2022 and hope it pays dividends.

Incredible crowds all weekend with 400,000 for the 3 day event. Is it the Netflix affect or is it the fact that F1 hasn't been in the US for 2 years and there's actually a close championship taking place rather than a run away as it's been for 8-9 years?

5 races to go,..... hoping for no DNFs for either Max or Lewis so we can experience this close racing the rest of the way.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 08:49 AM   #2436
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Perhaps Schumacher saved Verstappen giving him the DRS

By MSC not slowing and pulling off-line for several corners, VER screamed for “A message to Masi”.

But, in a way, ignoring the blues for those corners gave VER some DRS.

HAM just couldn’t close to under 1 sec. in the detection zone.

In the end, I think the higher rake on RBR chassis proved helpful. That gave an extra helping of dirty air to thwart HAM’s efforts.

Old 25 October 2021, 08:58 AM   #2437
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I watched the qualifying on Saturday. What an absolutely fabulous race track and the crowd were brilliant. I dont have the sports package on my subscription, it is (in my opinion) too expensive for what it is. I will look forward to the hi lights later on.
If you got Amazon Firestick then download Kodi and off you go ;)
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 01:24 PM   #2438
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
By MSC not slowing and pulling off-line for several corners, VER screamed for “A message to Masi”.

But, in a way, ignoring the blues for those corners gave VER some DRS.

HAM just couldn’t close to under 1 sec. in the detection zone.

In the end, I think the higher rake on RBR chassis proved helpful. That gave an extra helping of dirty air to thwart HAM’s efforts.

I’m almost certain it’s the Netflix show. About half of my department at work has been watching the F1 races because of watching the Netflix show for the last couple seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 02:31 PM   #2439
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I’ve been going to CoTA since 2015 and this was by far the most packed I’ve seen it. Even on Saturday there would be quite a few empty seats but the place was packed both days this year. Checo and Ricciardo were the crowd favorites of the weekend.

As for the race, P2 is where you want to start. You have the inside line and can push P1 wide. In the 6 years I’ve been to CoTA, I think P1 only held position twice out of turn 1.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:53 PM   #2440
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
This weekend's race was fantastic! Whole venue was packed, tons of excitement in the air, and a great race all around.

Usually a Turn 12 guy but tried the Ferrari Suite in the Paddock this year - absolutely awesome.
Old 25 October 2021, 11:53 PM   #2441
-dustin

I was sitting at Turn 9 on Saturday. I have never been in a crowd as tightly packed as we were while trying to leave.

Crazy final laps at qualifying, and an equally entertaining race.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:58 AM   #2442
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Usually a Turn 12 guy but tried the Ferrari Suite in the Paddock this year - absolutely awesome.
You couldn't resist the espressos
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 26 October 2021, 01:03 AM   #2443
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Quote:
This weekend's race was fantastic! Whole venue was packed, tons of excitement in the air, and a great race all around.

I've thought about trying to make it one year. It seems to always fall right around my son's birthday where we have other plans. I do hope to be there - and maybe I will try the Ferrari Paddock as well.

May I ask what Ferrari is in your avatar pic?

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:07 AM   #2444
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
I’m almost certain it’s the Netflix show. About half of my department at work has been watching the F1 races because of watching the Netflix show for the last couple seasons.

I’ve talked F1 with at least 4-5 buddies since they started watching the show. It might be filled will fake drama, but it’s clearly growing the sport. I love the show. The more f1 i get to watch, the happier i am.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:23 AM   #2445
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
An absolute master class drive by Max!
Huh? I guess I was watching a different race. Master class in STRATEGY. Hammy was faster than him all day and closed an 8+ second gap in like 20 (maybe less) laps. RB did a phenomenal job on the strategy.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:34 AM   #2446
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
I've thought about trying to make it one year. It seems to always fall right around my son's birthday where we have other plans. I do hope to be there - and maybe I will try the Ferrari Paddock as well.

PDG
Contract is still under negotiation for 2022 and beyond (for Austin). The hope is that the attendance this weekend can be used as leverage for keeping it around some more years.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #2447
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Huh? I guess I was watching a different race. Master class in STRATEGY. Hammy was faster than him all day and closed an 8+ second gap in like 20 (maybe less) laps. RB did a phenomenal job on the strategy.
If you watched the post race interviews with both Horner and Wolff, they both said that the Merc was faster on the hard tires and most of the race was run on 2 sets of hards. Horner said he didn't think they would win the race and believed they pulled him in too soon, but they had high tire deg (Horner said that Max's 1st set of hard tires were down to the threads). Max made it work by saving enough tire to get off the slow corners onto the long straights to keep HAM out of the DRS zone in the closing stages. Max masterfully saved his tires which were 8 laps older and allowed HAM to close up, but not enough and that's where the race was won.
Old 26 October 2021, 05:28 AM   #2448
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you watched the post race interviews with both Horner and Wolff, they both said that the Merc was faster on the hard tires and most of the race was run on 2 sets of hards. Horner said he didn't think they would win the race and believed they pulled him in too soon, but they had high tire deg (Horner said that Max's 1st set of hard tires were down to the threads). Max made it work by saving enough tire to get off the slow corners onto the long straights to keep HAM out of the DRS zone in the closing stages. Max masterfully saved his tires which were 8 laps older and allowed HAM to close up, but not enough and that's where the race was won.
Both of them drove great yesterday with no mistakes. The RB package overall is just stronger than Mercedes right now. Lewis had a small lead before the pit stop and after they both pitted he was over 6 seconds behind. It'll take a small miracle for Lewis to win the WDC this year.
Old 26 October 2021, 05:52 AM   #2449
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Both of them drove great yesterday with no mistakes. The RB package overall is just stronger than Mercedes right now. Lewis had a small lead before the pit stop and after they both pitted he was over 6 seconds behind. It'll take a small miracle for Lewis to win the WDC this year.
Agreed that they both drove great, mistake free races but disagree on the rbr being the better overall package. This is a Mercedes track and has never lost with the exception of Kimi in 2018 IIRC. The Merc is mph faster in the straight and they were trading fastest sector times in the twisty parts of the track. Just based on past races and qualifying, it seems like the RB performs better the softer the tire and the Merc is better on hard tires.

The next two races "should" favor RB in Mexico and Brazil. With Qatar and Saudi Arabia, no one knows as they've never raced at either circuit and Abu Dhabi traditionally a Mercedes track.

As an aside, I think we have to give Perez a pass for being 40+ seconds behind the leaders. He went through his drink bottle in 20 laps and was ill this entire weekend making for a very dehydrated driver and not indicative of his ability.
Old 26 October 2021, 05:59 AM   #2450
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Let's go Brandon!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:40 AM   #2451
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
^^^ what he said. I was VERY surprised Lewis came back after pitting so very far behind. Ah well, the best team of the day won

Old 26 October 2021, 08:52 AM   #2452
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed that they both drove great, mistake free races but disagree on the rbr being the better overall package. This is a Mercedes track and has never lost with the exception of Kimi in 2018 IIRC. The Merc is mph faster in the straight and they were trading fastest sector times in the twisty parts of the track. Just based on past races and qualifying, it seems like the RB performs better the softer the tire and the Merc is better on hard tires.

The next two races "should" favor RB in Mexico and Brazil. With Qatar and Saudi Arabia, no one knows as they've never raced at either circuit and Abu Dhabi traditionally a Mercedes track.

As an aside, I think we have to give Perez a pass for being 40+ seconds behind the leaders. He went through his drink bottle in 20 laps and was ill this entire weekend making for a very dehydrated driver and not indicative of his ability.
I thought Checo did his job well enough and kept Lewis honest from trying any crazy strategy in the first stint. He also backed out of turn 1 lap 1 when he, Max, and Lewis were fighting for the lead.
Old 27 October 2021, 02:01 AM   #2453
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You couldn't resist the espressos
Spent most of the weekend giving the bartender a workout lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post

PDG
Paddock was absolutely a special experience. Balcony seats right on top of the Scuderia Ferrari pit is something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

That's my 458 Italia in the background of my avatar. Love that thing!
Old 27 October 2021, 02:24 AM   #2454
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spent most of the weekend giving the bartender a workout lol.

Paddock was absolutely a special experience. Balcony seats right on top of the Scuderia Ferrari pit is something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

That's my 458 Italia in the background of my avatar. Love that thing!

A buddy and i are talking about going next year, doing the paddock pass. Worth going all three days i would assume?

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 02:43 AM   #2455
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you thought the Netflix show was drama, anyone catch what happened on grid prior to the race with Martin Brundle? I watched it live and then showed it to my wife last night and couldn't believe what we were seeing when Brundle tried to interview some female rapper I had never heard of before and her 400 lbs. bodyguard literally put his hands on Brundle and pushed him away. The same bodyguard then pushed Martin's cameraman away! To Brundle's credit, when a blond guy in this rappers entourage told him he couldn't do that, Brundle responded that he could because he just did!

I don't think a bodyguard that is literally 3 times bigger than a 62 year old man should be pushing him or his film crew whilst on a heavily secure grid with VIPs only. This isn't some nightclub afterall. Brundle was reasonably upset and responded to the interaction on Monday.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/martin...nners-respect/
Old 27 October 2021, 03:25 AM   #2456
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Saw the pit madness live, am not surprised given the Music BUSINESS and how ill-prepared the 'rapper' was. Obviously a PC PR 'rapper' walk. Did we ever find out who approved their gang to walk the starting grid?

While Mr. Brundle is a gentlemen working hard to deliver a quality/knowledgeable live broadcast, am glad to see this happen so F1 can rethink their PR strategy. The memes all over the web about the 'rapper' have been glorious!

Old 27 October 2021, 03:34 AM   #2457
77T

Quote:
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet,
I’m not

Brundle is a bozo bundle (^$$hat IMHO) on the grid walks. There are other press doing the same. It’s a scrum and based on what she was wearing, she needed bodyguards.

Old 27 October 2021, 04:12 AM   #2458
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you thought the Netflix show was drama, anyone catch what happened on grid prior to the race with Martin Brundle? I watched it live and then showed it to my wife last night and couldn't believe what we were seeing when Brundle tried to interview some female rapper I had never heard of before and her 400 lbs. bodyguard literally put his hands on Brundle and pushed him away. The same bodyguard then pushed Martin's cameraman away! To Brundle's credit, when a blond guy in this rappers entourage told him he couldn't do that, Brundle responded that he could because he just did!

I don't think a bodyguard that is literally 3 times bigger than a 62 year old man should be pushing him or his film crew whilst on a heavily secure grid with VIPs only. This isn't some nightclub afterall. Brundle was reasonably upset and responded to the interaction on Monday.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/martin...nners-respect/
Brundle was not the only one shoved aside.
Poor judgement by F1 management to allow such disrespectful clowns in the paddock.
Old 27 October 2021, 04:29 AM   #2459
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

This guy looks like the Malfoy character from the Harry Potter series!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.29.28 AM.png (140.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 27 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #2460
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Gotta give the kid credit. He did drive the sh$@ out of the car and did it by also securing pole. While still a wreckless idiot wheel to wheel, Max is beating MB and he is beating arguably the greatest F1 driver in history flat out on most every metric. F1 is a team sport period and a lowly mechanic who takes two seconds extra changing a tire can lose a race for a driver. I’ve said it many times referring to Lewis but now it applies to Max, no matter what strategy the team does, it’s nothing if the driver can’t drive like a super hero. Max and Lewis were close to 25 seconds clear of the next guy in third.
Lewis is a straight animal to make up that deficit, but that’s cuz Max was straight driving into the future.
I don’t like him but dammit if I can’t admit the kid is earning his keep. If he wins which it looks like it’s edging there, he will honestly be in a class above the rest for beating the goat in his prime in a way more dominant way than Rosberg.

I’m still rooting for whiny Lewis though. ; )
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote