The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 October 2021, 06:15 AM   #1
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Was I wrong about Tom Brady???

For probably more than 20 years I have had a strong dislike for Tom Brady. Brady and the New England Patriots owned my beloved Buffalo Bills, as well as the AFC East, during that time. I don’t like to use the word "hated", but I really didn’t like him.
What changed? Brady changed teams and I no longer have to suffer watching Brady beat us twice a year. But there’s more. When TB won the Super Bowl last year I had to admit that Brady is indeed the GOAT. Rings don’t lie.
But there’s still more. In interviews and appearances I got to see that Tom actually had a personality and might not be the disinterested, aloof guy I thought he was.
Then, yesterday, came the final straw. I was watching the Tampa Bay game when Tom went to the sidelines and gave a 12 year old boy, a Brady fan who is recovering from brain cancer and was holding a sign directed at Tom that got his attention. Brady gave the young fan a hat and shook his hand. The boy was in tears and I wasn’t too far behind. Yep, TB is apparently a good guy. I was wrong all along. I was just caught up in the moment, a 20+ year moment, of thinking Tom was the cause of my angst. I now realize I was wrong. It’s really Bill Belichick that’s evil, Tom is OK.
Rant over.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:41 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:42 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I have never met the man, but have heard nothing but good things about him personally. Oh he definitely is competitive, demands the most from himself and his teammates, but he is respectful, kind and over all a very decent man.

Now the Diva that plays for the Packers….
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:45 AM   #4
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Lol, I agree. I’m not really a football fan, however follow enough to hold conversation if need be. I never understood the kool-aid everyone was drinking, then he came to Tampa. I thought he was the football equivalent of modern day Darth Vader. Then he started showing his leadership and got the Bucs behind him. Then they won a super bowl. Bruce Arians comes out and says he pretty much told Tom to do his thing with the team, including making his own calls rather than differing to the coach. Bruce saw his leadership, and I was just starting to. I realized I really liked the guy at the boat parade, you realize he’s a semi normal dude that can still get a little plowed on tequila and make some questionable but historic choices. Then yesterday happened, I was asleep by that point of the game so read about it this morning. An absolute class act! Going to have to hit a Bucs game or two to support the team now. I regret my earlier disdain for him and am very happy he was given the chance to shine under his own spotlight without the cloud of Bill Belichick.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:47 AM   #5
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Tom Brady never changed. The team culture from where he came did. Bill Belickeck has that team on prison yard lockdown. No info out, no info in, no interviews, etc. We all wondered if it was Brady or Belickech that was the reason for the dynasty. Tom changed to all new teammates and organization. The Patriot organization just changed out 1 piece but we all know the answer now.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:51 AM   #6
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Yep the guy has always been amazing. First one in, last one to leave. Hardest worker on the team. Not enough natural talent to be drafted until 199 in the 6th round so he worked hard instead. I always laugh at that. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
I've been a fan since his first game. My family is angry and considers him a traitor for leaving New England. I'm just a fan who's glad to have witnessed excellence at such a level it'll take someone really special to break his records. Sure I wish he was still with the Patriots but I'm glad to see his numbers grow no matter where he plays.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
We are sure happy to have him playing in Tampa.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:36 AM   #8
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
For probably more than 20 years I have had a strong dislike for Tom Brady. Brady and the New England Patriots owned my beloved Buffalo Bills, as well as the AFC East, during that time. I don’t like to use the word "hated", but I really didn’t like him.
What changed? Brady changed teams and I no longer have to suffer watching Brady beat us twice a year. But there’s more. When TB won the Super Bowl last year I had to admit that Brady is indeed the GOAT. Rings don’t lie.
But there’s still more. In interviews and appearances I got to see that Tom actually had a personality and might not be the disinterested, aloof guy I thought he was.
Then, yesterday, came the final straw. I was watching the Tampa Bay game when Tom went to the sidelines and gave a 12 year old boy, a Brady fan who is recovering from brain cancer and was holding a sign directed at Tom that got his attention. Brady gave the young fan a hat and shook his hand. The boy was in tears and I wasn’t too far behind. Yep, TB is apparently a good guy. I was wrong all along. I was just caught up in the moment, a 20+ year moment, of thinking Tom was the cause of my angst. I now realize I was wrong. It’s really Bill Belichick that’s evil, Tom is OK.
Rant over.
Great post and the last part made me laugh hard.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:38 AM   #9
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
We are sure happy to have him playing in Tampa.
As I said in a different post, I sure am enjoying watching him as a Buccaneer vs. being a Patriot. His post game interviews seem so genuine and sincere. I hope he continues to play as long as his body allows. I have my new Brady jersey on order.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 08:41 AM   #10
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rant over.
Full disclosure, I don't know a single thing about football, never watched a game in my life. But I heard him talk on this hodinkee podcast a few months back and he came off as super down to earth and a genuinely nice guy. Plus, he's a real lover of mechanical watches (IWC in particular). Don't care what he does with a ball at that point, he's ok by me haha

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/to...hodinkee-radio
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 09:40 AM   #11
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
I’ve always like Tom, the Giants snatched two Lombardi trophy’s out of his hands.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 09:45 AM   #12
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Football is so much more fun in Tampa Bay than it ever has.
Imagine a quarterback that actually throws the ball where its supposed to go.
I was used to cringing every time the previous quarterbacks would throw a pass.
What a breath of fresh air.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 09:46 AM   #13
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Drew Brees gets my vote...

PDG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Screenshot reduced.jpg (48.1 KB, 158 views)
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 09:56 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I never understood why so many didn’t like him. Seems like a stand up fellow compared to a lot of other athlete/celebrities
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:20 AM   #15
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I can completely relate. As a lifelong Charger fan (until they left us) I really disliked TB12.

Now, much like you I can understand how great he is. He seems like a very kind person and doesn’t take himself too serious off the field. Great post.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 05:24 PM   #16
favre12rodgers
Banned

I mean....in all reality, most athletes do stuff like this every week but it's not publicized. I'm not trashing Brady.....but this is common.

I do think he is a great player and the biggest winner since Jordan but he isn't the best QB in the league and I'm not sure he ever has been. However, again, when it comes to winning....there is no one above him.
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:57 PM   #17
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I never understood why so many didn’t like him. Seems like a stand up fellow compared to a lot of other athlete/celebrities
Because every time he came to town he crushed their dreams. LOL

I still can’t figure out how to get my hands on a TB12 Aston Maritin, though so I’m pissed!
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:17 AM   #18
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have always thought he was one of the best players in the history of the game. Personally, I always thought he was a bit of a conceited a-hole from an early age. I did not respect the way he handled adversity and saw many interviews where he complained about his team mates performance when he had an off day.

I must say, though, age has brought him a certain maturity that is great to see. I agree with most that this may be enhanced on by his current team environment.

Anytime you tell a young person that they are the best and give them everything they want, you are asking for trouble. Very few people can come out of that intact.

Ironically, Peyton Manning lives a few blocks away from us and has kids the same age, so we see him at school and the neighborhood bus stop. He is genuinely a really good guy. I really do not know how he is able to stay so centered with his family given all his fame. His parents did one hell of a good job.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:30 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Even if you didn’t discover all that, it’s very difficult to judge any high profile celebrity based on moments when the camera is shuttering and the lights are on. Especially today, social media is doing its best to catch those on “pedestals” with their proverbial pants down.
I absolutely disliked vehemently a certain public figure which I’m not at liberty to discuss, then I had the opportunity to meet him and his wife for a brief moment and was able to see said person interact with a large group of people he came to see. He changed my mind, the cameras and news media are brutal.

I’ve liked TB for quite a while and I didn’t particularly like football at the time. For me it started with his training regimen for his age and then how he interacts with his team mates plus how he responded to the media when losing and more importantly what he said when winning. He is a class act, “that I know of….”(because I don’t really know).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:55 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
all appears to point to him being a truly stand up guy.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I have always thought he was one of the best players in the history of the game. Personally, I always thought he was a bit of a conceited a-hole from an early age. I did not respect the way he handled adversity and saw many interviews where he complained about his team mates performance when he had an off day.

I must say, though, age has brought him a certain maturity that is great to see. I agree with most that this may be enhanced on by his current team environment.

Anytime you tell a young person that they are the best and give them everything they want, you are asking for trouble. Very few people can come out of that intact.

Ironically, Peyton Manning lives a few blocks away from us and has kids the same age, so we see him at school and the neighborhood bus stop. He is genuinely a really good guy. I really do not know how he is able to stay so centered with his family given all his fame. His parents did one hell of a good job.
Fantastic to hear Jason. I would’ve guessed this about PM, he just gives off a very decent vibe.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 02:23 AM   #22
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Rant over.

Lol damn that’s exactly how I felt about Brady. Just didn’t care for him. But can’t deny he’s GOAT for sure and playing for my second hometown now lol. I have jumped the bandwagon for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote