The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 March 2020, 01:23 AM   #31
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I would love to predict the future and under the current crisis I suspect no one can. The only reason I still buy the Financial Times is here in the UK there is panic buying of toilet paper. Is it the same in the US, does the Wall Street Journal serve the same purpose?
Old 21 March 2020, 01:24 AM   #32
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdein View Post
I would love to predict the future and under the current crisis I suspect no one can. The only reason I still buy the Financial Times is here in the UK threr is panic buying of toilet paper. Is it the same in the US, does the Wall Street Journal serve the same purpose?
Yes, The WSJ, NYT, and Washington Compost. Also The Guardian.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:26 AM   #33
abrace
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
OP, so you feel your doom and gloom predictions are fun?

Ignore list...
Add me to your ignore list too.

In this crap sandwich we are all eating, I am looking for any silver lining. If I am lucky enough to keep my job, would love to have a proper rolex selection available to admire.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #34
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Steel Daytona's and Blue Steel Sky Dwellers at MSRP sold by Grey's, maybe in years!
Old 21 March 2020, 01:31 AM   #35
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
Quote:
Yes, The WSJ, NYT, and Washington Compost. Also The Guardian.
Clearly from your “Washington Compost” statement, you believe this is an overreaction to our current predicament. Unfortunately the current state of our country will continue to deteriorate. More and more people will continue to loose their jobs and more people will loose their livelihoods. I can see the future, its going to go like this, “who knew it would get this bad.”

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
Old 21 March 2020, 01:35 AM   #36
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Interesting times. Unprecedented times. The world economy and the rules of supply and demand don’t read economic textbooks and may behave strangely in the coming months.

That being said, in general, I do think demand for luxury goods will be down. Those that think a return to msrp for the Daytona is unlikely, I think you are forgetting that Rolex cannot keep its factories shuttered forever. There are easy steps they can take to protect their workers, and they have a skilled workforce that they have to keep and pay. Until very recently, production could not keep up with demand. And, as so many like to point out, Rolex cares little about external market forces or the distribution of their product. They make what they want to make when they want to make it. Why should they care if a watch sits unsold in a case at an AD or flys off a website at twice MSRP? Rolex doesn’t see an extra dime in the latter scenario.

Yeh, I say availability will improve and prices will drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #37
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
If you bought a Daytona over retail, it's essentially like buying an overvalued stock right before a market crash. You better hold!

In all seriousness, this isn't an April fools joke, just take a look at whats happening in the world.
One just sold on the forum discounted at 23k lol
Old 21 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #38
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Quote:
Just a little prediction from me. I'm pretty sure we're going to be seeing all Rolex at MSRP in the coming 6 months. Literally everyone I know is in the process of loosing jobs, and those with businesses are reporting massive drops in income.

On top of that, I received a call from my AD a few days ago, frantically asking me if I was interested in buying 2 SS sports model that usually have significant wait times. His voice was stressed, and I have a feeling I wasn't the first call he made. Some people are turning down these watches now even at MSRP.

We're going through a pandemic here that hasn't even really began, and it has already halted the economy.

Once Rolex factories are back in full production most people will not be in the position to buy a Rolex, and I think we might see a flood of watches come through.

This is my opinion, what's yours?
The party has just started, Rolex is heading to Patek prices in the next few years. Just the humble opinion a passionate Rolex lover and collector since 1999.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:39 AM   #39
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Rolex is a charitable trust. They don't pay taxes. Maybe they will use some of that money they supposedly donate to charity to pay their furloughed employees and report that as a charitable donation.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:41 AM   #40
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyhats View Post
Clearly from your “Washington Compost” statement, you believe this is an overreaction to our current predicament. Unfortunately the current state of our country will continue to deteriorate. More and more people will continue to loose their jobs and more people will loose their livelihoods. I can see the future, its going to go like this, “who knew it would get this bad.”
Don't forget about the housing market after people lose their jobs and can't make their mortgage payments. They better get a handle on this fast or it's going to be the same old song different dance again.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:50 AM   #41
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrace View Post
Add me to your ignore list too.

In this crap sandwich we are all eating, I am looking for any silver lining. If I am lucky enough to keep my job, would love to have a proper rolex selection available to admire.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #42
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post
The party has just started, Rolex is heading to Patek prices in the next few years. Just the humble opinion a passionate Rolex lover and collector since 1999.

Come on, that’s ludicrous. These are entirely different market segments with an entirely volumes.
Old 21 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #43
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
OP, so you feel your doom and gloom predictions are fun?

Ignore list...
Why are you so angry over a simple forum thread? Did you recently buy a Rolex over MSRP?
Old 21 March 2020, 01:53 AM   #44
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I agree it is wishful thinking, but I also think it's an actual possibility once the majority of people start to grasp what is happening to the economy. The UK might be the last place to see such a change, but I think we would be more likely see it happen in less populous countries.
Maybe where you are, not around here
Old 21 March 2020, 01:58 AM   #45
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Basically, it all depends how long this last, if they have the vaccine/treatment within weeks everything will remain the same. Also Rolex shut down factories in Switzerland, so pretty much no sales, but no production either. Let's see how it goes.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:00 AM   #46
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
I honestly don't care what happens with the price or value of my watches, I bought them to enjoy and wear ...........period.

For those people who have bought them as investments; I don't think they have much to worry about as people have always bought Rolex as a Safe Haven when the markets are in turmoil.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:01 AM   #47
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I honestly don't care what happens with the price or value of my watches, I bought them to enjoy and wear ...........period.

For those people who have bought them as investments; I don't think they have much to worry about as people have always bought Rolex as a Safe Haven when the markets are in turmoil.
I think its more for those who want to buy them not those who currently own them.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:01 AM   #48
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why are you so angry over a simple forum thread? Did you recently buy a Rolex over MSRP?
Many people are getting triggered on here lately.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:03 AM   #49
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post

If you bought them at the height of the bubble, you have a lot to worry about. Rolex’s are not safe havens, they should never be looked at as an investment.

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
Old 21 March 2020, 02:07 AM   #50
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyhats View Post
Rolex’s are not safe havens, they should never be looked at as an investment.
Bingo!
Old 21 March 2020, 02:09 AM   #51
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
A coronavirus vaccine will be with us very soon. When this happens markets will recover quickly and buying confidence resumed. As the Rolex factory will have been shutdown for (however long) there will be less availability than now which will send prices UP! Best bet for buyers is RIGHT NOW as the AD will put watches in the case that have been in the back safe to increase short term sales as footfall diminishes.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #52
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyNovember View Post
A coronavirus vaccine will be with us very soon. When this happens markets will recover quickly and buying confidence resumed. As the Rolex factory will have been shutdown for (however long) there will be less availability than now which will send prices UP! Best bet for buyers is RIGHT NOW as the AD will put watches in the case that have been in the back safe to increase short term sales as footfall diminishes.

This is pretty much it...I think theres a window where if you've got the funds you can probably have a couple pieces come your way sooner rather than later. However, as soon as thats out, thanks to the amount of hysteria and the fact that technically the desirable watch market has held SO INSANELY STRONG to all the crashing going on in other market segments...it has absolutely piqued the radars of people looking for "new" (to them) ways to diversify. So take advantage (just meaning be opportunistic) and rummage around the current choppy waters as when (if its a month or a year, either way ) the economy starts stabilizing...you can bet these things will fly away faster than discounted shares of Tesla or Goldman lol.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:16 AM   #53
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

All this factory shut business is a side show to me. There is already considerable supply in the market. I’m not necessarily talking about greys or AD stock (although that counts), I’m talking about the millions of pieces that have sold over the last bull run.

Once people lose jobs (which they will), that $15 - $20k luxury piece on their wrists will get cashed in. And that’s going to happen by the hundreds, probably thousands. Mortgages need to be paid, car lease and debt payments need to be paid.

Watch this space. It’s going to get messy.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:16 AM   #54
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everything you just said it speculation with regard to the most amazing outcome possible. The US has yet to begin testing in large numbers. Best case scenario is a vaccine in 6-12, normal 12-18. There is no “very soon.”

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
Old 21 March 2020, 02:17 AM   #55
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We’re minimum 12 months away from widely available vaccine. IF they find one. The long term effects on people have to be established first.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:20 AM   #56
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Yawn... too many serious ppl in this thread getting all hurt. We are all dealing with the seriousness of the situation. It is what it is.

I don't see how speculating about market prices for luxury goods is insensitive, unless of course you're part of the problem as a no-good hoarding flipper, trading on a self-made shortage of goods to exploit people who just want to buy a nice watch for a fair price. If you ARE one of those, my sympathy for you is ZERO. I hope you lose your shirt, just like I am every time I now look at MY investment portfolio (which is not an inventory of SS Rolex sports watches).
Old 21 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #57
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
All this factory shut business is a side show to me. There is already considerable supply in the market. I’m not necessarily talking about greys or AD stock (although that counts), I’m talking about the millions of pieces that have sold over the last bull run.

Once people lose jobs (which they will), that $15 - $20k luxury piece on their wrists will get cashed in. And that’s going to happen by the hundreds, probably thousands. Mortgages need to be paid, car lease and debt payments need to be paid.

+1000
Old 21 March 2020, 02:24 AM   #58
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Never say never. Buying a Daytona at list? Would say it's entirely possible given the the global economy is essentially frozen. Not sure why some think that's out of the question...just a few years ago one could buy a 116520 from an AD without much trouble. Just speaking from my own experience, I got mine with a small discount from an AD in 2015...
Old 21 March 2020, 02:25 AM   #59
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:

I agree with you.
Old 21 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #60
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:

Yep...
Closed Thread

Tags
pandemic , rolex