The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 31 August 2022, 09:53 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
5. Jerome Powell pivoting

J pow

Old 31 August 2022, 10:35 AM   #32
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
J pow

I love this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 10:50 AM   #33
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
not sure about going up, but they will be coming down a long way first I can guarantee you that.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:05 AM   #34
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
not sure about going up, but they will be coming down a long way first I can guarantee you that.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:06 AM   #35
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Have the prices of Panda Daytonas gone up less than a barrel of oil?

Over the last 3 years, I think the price of the Daytona has gone up more….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

116500s were what 15k for black and 18k for white in late 2019. They may have been a bit higher actually. Anyway, they’re now 28k for black and call it 32k for white (Moda prices). Crude was $50 in late 2019 and it $90-95 now. Pretty much the same, percentage wise.

What have prices of both done Over the last six months? Not sure what the point of cherry picking periods of time is or what it has to do with price elasticity of demand.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:08 AM   #36
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
but surprisingly more inelastic than one might think..certainly for the category of ultra luxury goods..
Roman sharf claimed that very few retail customers if his were buying Daytonas at $50k. It was dealers flipping to each other who buying at the top.
Old 31 August 2022, 11:24 AM   #37
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

2020/2021 market dynamics.

That ain’t coming back anytime soon.
Old 31 August 2022, 12:58 PM   #38
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
Roman sharf claimed that very few retail customers if his were buying Daytonas at $50k. It was dealers flipping to each other who buying at the top.
truth ...
HAL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 01:08 PM   #39
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
It seems to me that prices going up (or staying high) only benefits one scenario - selling a watch you already own. For those of us looking to grow our collections, i.e. buy and keep indefinitely, why wouldn't you want the prices as low as possible?

If it was just watches, it would be easy. I want prices as low as possible for pieces i want. But it’s never just watches. Watches flow with the market and everything else going on. So if prices are extremely low, your portfolio is probably hammered, house pieces wrecked, unemployment is up.. it’s all a cycle.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 01:17 PM   #40
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
If it was just watches, it would be easy. I want prices as low as possible for pieces i want. But it’s never just watches. Watches flow with the market and everything else going on. So if prices are extremely low, your portfolio is probably hammered, house pieces wrecked, unemployment is up.. it’s all a cycle.

this basic fact seems lost on so many... but that's it in a nutshell.. the business cycle.
Old 31 August 2022, 01:22 PM   #41
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
this basic fact seems lost on so many... but that's it in a nutshell.. the business cycle.

Truth. So many people hoping for the crash of the world economy so they can get a watch. Seems crazy to me…

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 01:23 PM   #42
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Truth. So many people hoping for the crash of the world economy so they can get a watch. Seems crazy to me…

there will always be more than 800,000 millionaires out there looking to add to their watch collection ... they can keep waiting till the risen Christ returns.
Old 31 August 2022, 03:21 PM   #43
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
1. Bitcoin at $100k
2. S&P 500 at 5,000 or more
3. China reopening
4. Greater financial stability in the U.S.

Mr. Locococo, you've nailed it.
Can we interest you in a WG submariner at MSRP while we wait?
Old 31 August 2022, 05:54 PM   #44
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
And in the real estate, first time buyers hoping for a crash so they can afford buying a first house and start a family vs baby boomers who own 2-3 houses and want the craze to continue.

And also families with low income who need to buy a car vs car collectors.

etc.

For decades, the inflation has been in the price of many asset classes. Result is that the cost of the entry ticket increased and got unaffordable. Politicians had to find temporary workarounds which worsen the situation.

Indeed now there are very conflicting interests between generations (in the broad sense). :(
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 08:30 PM   #45
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Prices will for most watches eventually come down to a price close to MRSP. If Rolex did´nt have the intend or belive that they would ever again be able to meet the demand, they would naturally have raised the prices to the market price (the price who fits supply/demand) and have taken the profit them self.
Swiftneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 08:46 PM   #46
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And seems perfectly normal to many people here
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 31 August 2022, 09:00 PM   #47
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Rolex will be always Rolex, who cares about prices, if you are concern, buy, wear and don’t sell. That way you will always make money and happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 09:03 PM   #48
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, but surely no-one is actually saying they want the world economy to crash to be able to afford a watch. Some people are simply saying they'd like to see Rolex market prices come down a bit. It's only in the last few years that the hype train has taken over where Rolex is concerned, and let's not kid ourselves that Rolex market prices are anything other than hype-driven. Yes, the most likely way for prices to come down would be a global recession (which we're already on the brink of anyway), but another way would be for so-called "influencers" to move on to the next big thing and drag all the investment sheep with them.
Old 31 August 2022, 09:32 PM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post
Rolex will be always Rolex, who cares about prices, if you are concern, buy, wear and don’t sell. That way you will always make money and happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s the truth. In the long term ownership perspective, even if you bought high market value, your watches value will eventually catch up over time if that even matters. Rolex watches in general are not a big ticket cost to even moderately wealthy so prices up or down is not as important as availability.
Old 31 August 2022, 10:34 PM   #50
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Old 31 August 2022, 11:16 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...it’s all a cycle.
Agreed, it's really all just part of the normal decades-long CONfidence game central banks play. It's a feature, not a bug. Seems we're now on a ~12 year cycle. So invest now for the next bubble that should start hotting up around 2030 and reach a peak around 2034.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:18 PM   #52
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
116500s were what 15k for black and 18k for white in late 2019. They may have been a bit higher actually. Anyway, they’re now 28k for black and call it 32k for white (Moda prices). Crude was $50 in late 2019 and it $90-95 now. Pretty much the same, percentage wise.

What have prices of both done Over the last six months? Not sure what the point of cherry picking periods of time is or what it has to do with price elasticity of demand.
IMO cost of services go up cost of luxury goods should go down
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:25 PM   #53
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That still shouldn't change things. You shouldn't be selling stocks or real estate to buy watches either. When the stock market drops I view that as a great time to buy more stocks. I certainly don't sell any :) Now sure, if you lose your job then that's going to change everything. But many people on these forums will keep making their same salaries while the market prices for all sorts of things drop. That's the ideal time to acquire. Buying a steel Daytona for $50k just because your 401k is at an all time high is not the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:27 PM   #54
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I believe that as with all economic cycles, there is no way to predict what the future will bring in the near to medium term. As regards watches, I imagine that in the long term as long as demand is solid, watch prices will tend to appreciate.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:34 PM   #55
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

It’s all about supply and demand.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:42 PM   #56
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Because it devalues what everyone owns and then no one will want it. People here seem to want prices to only go up because they feel better about their investment decisions and their worth as individuals.

And in the case of the OP question, most would rather have a good economy with rising prices than a deflationary sprial where no one buys and everyone sells.
Well obviously you can't sell if "nobody" is buying. But we'll never see that level of doom and gloom. The truly rich are always there to swoop in and capitalize on other's misery. Your comments still read like you consider watches primarily to be an asset class. My soul aches for a 16710BLRO and that's not going to change whether the market price is $18k or $3k. But if it's the latter I can buy one for me and my brother and my wife will only be 1/3 as irritated :)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 12:18 AM   #57
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Your comments still read like you consider watches primarily to be an asset class.
I have never said that, I merely parrot what others here seem to desire most.
Old 1 September 2022, 12:39 AM   #58
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
And in the real estate, first time buyers hoping for a crash so they can afford buying a first house and start a family vs baby boomers who own 2-3 houses and want the craze to continue.

And also families with low income who need to buy a car vs car collectors.

etc.

For decades, the inflation has been in the price of many asset classes. Result is that the cost of the entry ticket increased and got unaffordable. Politicians had to find temporary workarounds which worsen the situation.

Indeed now there are very conflicting interests between generations (in the broad sense). :(
No, this is not a rich vs. poor, or young vs. old thing.

Low income earners can't afford to buy a car because prices are inflating way above their affordability threshold, not because the wealthy people collect and hoard all the affordable Nissan Versa's. The market segment for the low income earners and that for the affluent are two completely separate worlds; one has nothing to do with the other.

Similarly with housing. The real estate market is way more sophisticated and complicated than the simplistic "someone owning 3 houses is responsible for 2 others not being able to buy a house" explanation. Housing affordability has way more to do with location, financial means of buyer, interest rate, or even overall consumer confidence than it does with who owns how many.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 02:13 AM   #59
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Doesnt look like prices are headed back up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116523.jpg (121.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 1 September 2022, 03:47 AM   #60
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Doesnt look like prices are headed back up
that thing is so beat to $hit that it's beyond repair... over polished, typical MODA watch.. which is what they're not the market.