The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2009, 02:54 AM   #1
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Accuracy

I had read around about how new Rolexes can take a couple of weeks to get accurate. Mine was running about 3-5 seconds slow per day and my occasional OCD was raising its ugly head.

It took about 3 weeks but I'm happy to say that for the past 3 or so days, my SS/Pt YM has been dead on accurate with absolutely no gain or loss in time. Woot!
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good to hear........

It has also been my experience that they tend too speed up a bit after a while.. I believe this is because the oils initially have drag on all the tiny parts, and it takes a while for those oils to evenly disperse......

but it's just a theory........
Old 15 August 2009, 03:31 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I had read around about how new Rolexes can take a couple of weeks to get accurate. Mine was running about 3-5 seconds slow per day and my occasional OCD was raising its ugly head.

It took about 3 weeks but I'm happy to say that for the past 3 or so days, my SS/Pt YM has been dead on accurate with absolutely no gain or loss in time. Woot!
How more accurate do you want it to be its already 99.995% to 99.997% accurate.No purely mechanical watch made any price and any brand will be 100% perfect accurate.There will always be tiny daily deviations earth's gravity the main culprit,then you have metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks,etc.To get a watch thats self regulating by different resting positions when off wrist is one in a few thousand.Considering a day has 86,400 seconds and the escapement pushes the gears 432,000 times in 24 hours.To lose just 3-5 of those seconds shows incredible precision in any mechanical watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 05:31 AM   #4
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
How more accurate do you want it to be its already 99.995% to 99.997% accurate.No purely mechanical watch made any price and any brand will be 100% perfect accurate.There will always be tiny daily deviations earth's gravity the main culprit,then you have metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks,etc.To get a watch thats self regulating by different resting positions when off wrist is one in a few thousand.Considering a day has 86,400 seconds and the escapement pushes the gears 432,000 times in 24 hours.To lose just 3-5 of those seconds shows incredible precision in any mechanical watch.
I couldn't agree more and completely understand. I own a few mechanical watches including a vintage Aquadive which has probably never been serviced, all keeping perfect time. It would have slightly (unjustly) bothered me to have my most expensive/prized one off a few seconds a day. I'm just happy to see that it's finely been "broken in".
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 07:32 AM   #5
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Accuracy seems to come up at least once a month on this forum.

At least we can count on that!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
I've been hearing alot of talk about accuracy from Rolex and the standard rate for late model Rolex's is 0 to plus 5 seconds a day not -4 to + 6 like I have heard. Hope that clears it up. Rik the watchmaker
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 10:14 AM   #7
michael69
"TRF" Member

My new DJ (about a month old) is about +4-5 secs a day, so I reset once a week (by which time it's about 30 secs fast).

Seems fine to me, and its just enough time to stop the second hand and get it bang on again ready for the next week!

I don't know whether it will become "more accurate" as time goes on, but I know that if it's starts to go way off then I can always get it regulated.
michael69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
kkchome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
My 14060M has been averaging +2.5 seconds per day for the past 18 days. When I go to bed I put it in the crown down position. If I leave it face up, it's a bit faster. I'm very pleased with this results.
JLC Master Control Hometime (Q1628420)
kkchome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 12:56 PM   #9
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Fretting over a few seconds a day will surely suck the fun out of owing a mechanical watch. If 99.99% accuracy isn't close enough, then a quartz watch is the only thing that will satisfy.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 07:31 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I've been hearing alot of talk about accuracy from Rolex and the standard rate for late model Rolex's is 0 to plus 5 seconds a day not -4 to + 6 like I have heard. Hope that clears it up. Rik the watchmaker
Sorry Rik cannot agree all Swiss brands including Rolex are tested to the same
COSC spec as any other Swiss chronometer.The first column is for movements
of Rolex size and once bare movement leaves COSC after test.All Rolex states
that movement has been COSC tested,of coarse any manufacturer will do its best to make sure watch performs close or inside test but not 100% guarantee on wrist.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 August 2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Rikki
TechXpert

I understand your stats on cosc but they won't let them leave the shop unless they're 0 plus 5 Seconds. Got that straight from an Instructor yesterday. Rik
Old 15 August 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I understand your stats on cosc but they won't let them leave the shop unless they're 0 plus 5 Seconds. Got that straight from an Instructor yesterday. Rik
Can understand that Rolex would like say after a service or repair to have movement set to 0 + 5 spec.But with quite a few lately brand new watches this is not the case.But even if set on the machine to that 0+5 it don't necessarily mean it will perform same on wrist.Myself not anal about absolute
accuracy its mechanical after all.I just wish the rest of the TRF members would not be so anal about a few seconds.If any mechanical watch runs within a few seconds a day either way,myself would prefer slight gain, they should all be singing the watches praises.There cannot be many other purely mechanical, man, or robot made machines, that have the superb precision of a mechanical watch.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 August 2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Good news.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2009, 10:59 PM   #14
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Great to hear of your Yachtmaster's accuracy!!!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Rikki
TechXpert

The testing is done in generally 5 positions dial up dial down crown up crown down crown left at full wind. then these numbers are added some will be negative some positive when all added and subtracted together then divided by 5 you get your average daily rate.If between 0 and 4.9 it goes if 5 and over it goes back for more fine tuning. Rik the watchmaker
Old 17 August 2009, 10:58 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The testing is done in generally 5 positions dial up dial down crown up crown down crown left at full wind. then these numbers are added some will be negative some positive when all added and subtracted together then divided by 5 you get your average daily rate.If between 0 and 4.9 it goes if 5 and over it goes back for more fine tuning. Rik the watchmaker
It's good to hear that Rolex insists that their product perform better than the basic COSC standard..
Old 17 August 2009, 11:44 AM   #17
haakon59
"TRF" Member

We read these posts about accuracy quite often on this forum. In one sense, I completely understand, because we all want our watches to be accurate. In another sense, I think more people need to recognize that -4 to +6 seconds accuracy per day is more than 99.9% accurate and remember, these are mechanical watches, not digital. Instead, it might be beneficial to relax a bit about accuracy and mechanical watches. When was the last time when you lost your job for being 10 seconds late?

I have all kinds of different watches with all kinds of movements, most of them work pretty well. Sure, there will come a time when the watch needs servicing, etc. But I think it is remarkable how well they work most of the time. I even have a Croton brand watch (cheap) which someone gave me and it is now around 9 years old and it still hasn't been serviced and runs within roughly 20 seconds a day and was never COSC certified.

Another fact to keep in mind is that Automatic watches will vary in how accurate they are depending on any number of factors, like how much you move, etc. So it is better to check the time for accuracy once a week than every day to allow for daily variances. While it is true that generally, the variances will not swing widely, I think it is almost comical how some people expect a mechanical watch to be more accurate than it is engineered to be.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2009, 02:27 AM   #18
Rikki
TechXpert

This past weekend I took a 3 day lathe and timing course from the AWCI and we were using 18000 beat watches etas to work on now the specs for this watch is 15 seconds a day by the end of the weekend of tweaking , dynamic poising and pallet jewel manipulation I got my watch down to in 5 position average .2 seconds a day with a 300 amplitude and a 6 delta. The is way better than specs from the factory so it can be done if you take the time to do it. Now a 28800 is even easier to adjust and getting it under the 4.9 is what we do. Rik the watchmaker
Old 18 August 2009, 03:00 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
This past weekend I took a 3 day lathe and timing course from the AWCI and we were using 18000 beat watches etas to work on now the specs for this watch is 15 seconds a day by the end of the weekend of tweaking , dynamic poising and pallet jewel manipulation I got my watch down to in 5 position average .2 seconds a day with a 300 amplitude and a 6 delta. The is way better than specs from the factory so it can be done if you take the time to do it. Now a 28800 is even easier to adjust and getting it under the 4.9 is what we do. Rik the watchmaker
Yes Rik 100% agree with you fine regulation that the main when it come to accuracy.And its surprising the results from what some would call humble movements with a bit patience and fine tuning.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 August 2009, 07:21 AM   #20
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Well if I could get my 5512 down to that accuracy I might be a little happier, it currently gains two minutes in 24 hours and before I had the back off and gave it a fine nudge on the adjuster it was a couple of minutes slow. I have done this adjustment a few times now but just cant seem to hit middle ground, maybe it needs a serious service. But hey, as has been said, it's a mechanical watch of 47 years, so I quite like it's almost human traits and of course with it's current gain it means I am never late for appointments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 5512 c.jpg (89.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 18 August 2009, 07:50 AM   #21
Rikki
TechXpert

2 minutes in 24 is a bit much even on that old of a watch it should be able to keep much better time send it on in I'll do what I can I know you are some distance but it wouldn't be the first time Rik the watchmaker
Old 18 August 2009, 08:21 AM   #22
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the offer Rick, vey kind, but we have watchmakers here in Australia who can handle it, and besides, at this moment in time I could never sleep if this baby was let out just around the block let alone across the world.
Old 18 August 2009, 09:49 PM   #23
Rikki
TechXpert

I hear ya brother hope you find someone to squeak it up for you Rik the watchmaker
Old 22 August 2009, 01:47 PM   #24
Rikki
TechXpert

I was reading your post on your 5512 you said you were adjusting the lever on your movement I'm sorry but that lever is for putting the movement in beat not timing. The microstella screws on the balance wheel are for adjusting the time and you need the proper Rolex tool to adjust those. When you move the hairspring lever you're putting the watch out of beat which affects amplitude. The slower the amplitude the faster your watch will run because your putting the balance wheel off of center beat. Hope that helps Rikki
Old 24 August 2009, 05:37 PM   #25
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

OOOOOOPS, guess I should leave it to the experts then
I thought it was to regulate speed as some watches do have the letters F & S ( Fast or Slow) on either side of the lever, see my attached photo of a Rolex made Hofex movement for this
Anyway, thanks for this, I shall leave it for the watchmaker to sort out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex-...1.jpg (140.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 25 August 2009, 12:31 PM   #26
Rikki
TechXpert

This particular movement has a time lever adjustment as many early Rolexes do but the 1530 uses microstella screws and the arm on the balance cock is used for beat adjustment. This movement has a fixed arm for the hairspring. beat adjusting for this model is achieved by moving the hairspring collet to center the roller jewel. Balance wheels of this vintage also used timing washers for the fine timing and poising. Comon keep um coming Rik the watchmaker
Old 25 August 2009, 01:54 PM   #27
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Very good Rik, thanks for the explanation
Old 25 August 2009, 02:55 PM   #28
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I set mine to the work clock once a month, on the first. As long as it stays within the minute, I'm happy.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote