The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 March 2022, 08:19 PM   #61
jbglx
"TRF" Member

On march 7th , I picked up my 1991 Gmt-Master II 16710 from the RSC here in Buenos Aires
basic service was $1070 for a 3185 caliber , but they had to replace crown and tube $88,86 , and I asked if they could replace the bezel insert for a "pepsi" , $111,97 .
So in sum I ended up paying $1270,84 . Was it worth , of course ! this model is a classic and it wouldn´t need a service for around eight years .
Neddless to say that it came out in pristine condition , like when it was brand new .

Last edited by jbglx; 12 March 2022 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: correcting a word
jbglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 11:08 PM   #62
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Rolex do not refuse to service if you do not replace the bracelet - as Rolex do not require the bracelet be present at all. You can send the watch head or the watch with a strap fitted. They will quote for a bracelet, but not require it.

What Rolex will have said is they are unable to guarantee the security of the watch or the integrity while the current bracelet is fitted.
I am aware you can send a watch in sans bracelet but I didn’t make it up, and have no reason to believe he did. It surprised me too, but that’s what they told him. I also have no reason to doubt him, because this was handled through an AD where a close relative of his has been employed for well over 15 years.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:08 AM   #63
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I am aware you can send a watch in sans bracelet but I didn’t make it up, and have no reason to believe he did. It surprised me too, but that’s what they told him. I also have no reason to doubt him, because this was handled through an AD where a close relative of his has been employed for well over 15 years.
I have no reason to believe you or your friend are making anything up.

I suspect someone in the chain is mistaken or the AD misunderstood or misrepresented the estimate.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 12:06 PM   #64
JohnnyBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
They are starting to redistribute parts accounts to independents now.

Also it doesn’t matter anymore when it comes to 1500 caliber movements. Rolex doesn’t have those parts anymore either. Stopped production on them a few years ago. Most independents know where to find them and or recondition original parts. RSC will likely not do this and or is just using up the last of their supplies.

The 400 crown cost is for a 703 crown. Which actually might not even be period correct for the watch (could be 702). So it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what “redistribute parts accounts to independents” means exactly. I had a conversation with my watchmaker (Kevin at Time Tech in Dallas, TX) recently. He’s hearing that there are approximately 20-30 independents left with parts accounts. For reference and why I mention him is because he is one of them.
JohnnyBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 01:49 AM   #65
gtbouch
"TRF" Member

Watch: '02 Datejust SS/18
I have solved my endless Roles service problem. I replaced my 3035 with a Bulova Precisionist UHF quartz P103 movement that never need service, battery lasts 2-3 year, +/_ 10 seconds per YEAR, accuracy and the seconds hand sweeps twice the rate of the old mechanical dinosaur!!! Time to let go of the Rolex equivalent of the Stanley Steamer and get a Tesla.
gtbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 07:08 AM   #66
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Call Tom the owner, ask him what it might take also he give a discount for military and TRF members! 100% Trust these guys with all my service needs.

http://www.dstimeservice.com/
Do they have rolex parts account?
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 09:48 AM   #67
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Service costs for Rolex references have indeed risen.
Some reluctance on the part of owners to submit their watches to RSC service centers has been the persistent report that earlier owners had parts replaced without consent. How true that really is remains elusive sans evidence.

My original 1969 red 1680 has lasted 51 years w/o RSC attention-unpolished. But CW 21s have done excellent work. Imagine getting a service dial or replaced patina insert
for an original vintage Rolex- without owner authorization. Hopefully, Rolex has taken steps to assure this kind of practice does not happen.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 05:59 AM   #68
Digitalwiz
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I just received my datejust circa 2004 back from a local jeweler who sent it to Geneva Watch Repair in SF. I considered RSC, but wasn't interested in traveling the distance to my local Rolex dealer 40 miles away.

This was the first service I had in about 18 years. The watch would wind, but I couldn't set the date or time.

It took about two months for the "complete servicing" where they refinished the case and band, replaced the setting lever and performed resistance testing". An 18 month warranty was included. From their website:
The GWR Complete Servicing Process:

First, our expert watchmakers will examine and inspect the inside of the casing and watch module to make sure there are no loose or broken parts.

The movement parts are then taken apart and prepped for cleaning in our state-of-the-art cleaning machine.
 While the movement parts are being cleaned, we are cleaning and refinishing for your watch case and band (if applicable) so that any minor scratches will be removed or major scratches minimized.

After cleaning, the watch parts are then reassembled into the module and the pivots and jewels oiled. This way your movement is well lubricated with a fresh batch of oil and will run for smoothly for many years to come.

The watch is then reassembled with the case and we begin to regulate the timing with our state-of-the-art timing machines to make sure that your watch is running with precision and as smooth as possible.

Watches that are water-resistant will have fresh seals and tested thoroughly for the specified depth for water-resistance. Note: Watches that are not water-resistant to begin with will not be tested in the water-pressure tester. Also, some watches that originally were water-resistant may be too old to be water-resistant now.

We will call you or ship your watch to you when the final product is completed. Once you receive your watch, you are also given an 18-month guarantee. If you are having any trouble with your watch within the next 18 months, you can send or bring your watch back to us as part of our guarantee to you.

All seems good with it. Though, after winding I have to tap the case once or twice to kick off the seconds hand.

Total was 1076.00 (77 of that was tax, which seemed weird being charged tax for a service)
Digitalwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 06:48 PM   #69
50L
"TRF" Member

on monday I will take my sub in, I just bought it online and it's -6,8 seconds.. still in waranty but the AD told me if this happened because of a shock, I will have to pay it. wondering what the estimate will be...
50L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 01:11 PM   #70
stuttgart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I just got a quote from an independent watch repair for a full overhaul on a Oyster Perpetual for $850. Does that sound right? He explains the full overhaul is completely disassemble the watch and clean / lube every part.
Old 25 March 2023, 01:15 PM   #71
chris242
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgart View Post
I just got a quote from an independent watch repair for a full overhaul on a Oyster Perpetual for $850. Does that sound right? He explains the full overhaul is completely disassemble the watch and clean / lube every part.

For that price you’re better off going to RSC

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 04:45 PM   #72
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris242 View Post
For that price you’re better off going to RSC

+1 RSC service as of December of last year on my 116264 was $750 with 2 year warranty included
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 04:58 PM   #73
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Impossible to say If he has a parts accounts with Rolex, probably more has to be done that the standard overhaul. Is there a new crown, or glass or the red wheels for the reverser that has to be replaced too? An RSC will charge these also on top of the 750 dollar.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #74
stuttgart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Is $750 from RSC a base service?
Old 26 March 2023, 07:15 AM   #75
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Yes, ballpark, depends also offcourse on movement, a 4130 daytona would have a higher base price obviously.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2023, 10:26 AM   #76
taniame
"TRF" Member

Just got a quote from my local AD/RSC for an overhaul on my 2000 Daytona 116520 and the price is $1100 AFTER DISCOUNT.

Does that sound right?
taniame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 11:48 PM   #77
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taniame View Post
Just got a quote from my local AD/RSC for an overhaul on my 2000 Daytona 116520 and the price is $1100 AFTER DISCOUNT.

Does that sound right?
Got my 116520 from 2009 back last Monday (in Switzerland) from RSC Geneva.
paid CHF 1355.- (incl. 7.7% VAT) which is right now USD 1515.-. I have to say it was absolutely worth it, it looks like new.
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 08:47 AM   #78
Infanterene
"TRF" Member

I dropped my Daytona Oysterflex in a terrible way. RSC changed my dial, new hands, full service, new crystal, polished the case and clasp and also replaced the oysterflex bracelet. $2300. They did it very quickly and I think very reasonably.
Infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 07:40 AM   #79
George H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
The Rolex I recently acquired was in much need of service. I had a full service done, one additional link added, crown replacement, and crystal. With Service, link, and sales tax the total was $1,560. I was not shocked considering the condition and how it was not running. It sat in a box for many years.
George H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2023, 04:49 AM   #80
mawatchlover
"TRF" Member

Are the prices same worldwide or it depends on the country ?
mawatchlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 02:00 PM   #81
Aviela.W
"TRF" Member

Sounds okay to me, you got a discount obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taniame View Post

Does that sound right?
Aviela.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 06:24 AM   #82
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

Last August, one of my area ADs charged me $750 for servicing my 2013 Daytona 116520. No parts replaced, no polishing. Quick turnaround. Came back with better accuracy, RSC card, travel pouch, and 4130 movement photos.

Going back this weekend for a service estimate on my 2011 Datejust 116234.
Old 9 December 2023, 07:03 PM   #83
murkeywaters
"TRF" Member

Hi all, anybody recently had a full service on a 18k Day/Date, interested in costs and if RSC bump the price because of the gold?

This is a mid 80's watch so not sure if Rolex would class that as vintage or put it under their standard service?
murkeywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 02:58 AM   #84
kingbird47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Service Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Your AD doesn't know and is guessing, although it could run this high.

Rolex has a basic charge, which is much less than 1100. If it requires parts not covered by the basic charge, such as a new sapphire crystal, or it needs the crown and tube replaced, it would cost more.

The RSC provides a detailed cost estimate of things recommended, and things required. You must approve the charges before they do the work, so you will not be surprised by the RSC.

However, if you give it to the AD, they become the customer and Rolex sends all correspondence to them, you might never see that estimate or know what your AD has approved. This can lead to surprises.

2015 Rolex Datejust II

Description Price Qty Cost
Service Rolex Gts $ 499.00
Mainspring $ 95.00
Auto Axle $ 155.00
Winding pinion $ 96.00
Setting Lever $ 86.00
Extended Second year warranty $ 45.00
Case tube S/S $ 85.00
Clutch wheel $ 90.00
Click Spring $ 46.00
Subtotal $ 1,197.00

Total $ 1,197.00
kingbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 03:19 AM   #85
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbird47 View Post
2015 Rolex Datejust II

Description Price Qty Cost
Service Rolex Gts $ 499.00
Mainspring $ 95.00
Auto Axle $ 155.00
Winding pinion $ 96.00
Setting Lever $ 86.00
Extended Second year warranty $ 45.00
Case tube S/S $ 85.00
Clutch wheel $ 90.00
Click Spring $ 46.00
Subtotal $ 1,197.00

Total $ 1,197.00

I am curious. Was this through an AD or the Rolex Service Center? It was my understanding that movement parts were included with basic service costs. Replacement parts such as bracelet, crystal, crown and tube, dial, hands, and inserts were additional costs. Of course, that would be on more current references not necessarily vintage 30-50 years old. Next question. If you did take it to your AD can you confirm they did not just use their in-house watchmaker for the procedure, even though Rolex will honor the warranty they provide?
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2023, 01:08 AM   #86
TK42ONE
"TRF" Member

Last year I dropped my Datejust 41 and cracked the sapphire. AD sent to RSC and it was $1600 approx. for new crystal, hands, face (scratched), and complete service. They sent quote and I had to authorize before service would start.
TK42ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 05:37 AM   #87
assetappeal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50L View Post
on monday I will take my sub in, I just bought it online and it's -6,8 seconds.. still in waranty but the AD told me if this happened because of a shock, I will have to pay it. wondering what the estimate will be...
any updates on this? I'm so curious.
assetappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 03:26 AM   #88
kingbird47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
AD Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I am curious. Was this through an AD or the Rolex Service Center? It was my understanding that movement parts were included with basic service costs. Replacement parts such as bracelet, crystal, crown and tube, dial, hands, and inserts were additional costs. Of course, that would be on more current references not necessarily vintage 30-50 years old. Next question. If you did take it to your AD can you confirm they did not just use their in-house watchmaker for the procedure, even though Rolex will honor the warranty they provide?
Thru an AD, prepaid fedex to him, inspects and called to give the estimate, i said i would call him within 24 hours, he already started it so i was stuck. Its fixed, definitely like new again but i feel like it couldve been cheaper just going back to the Rolex Dealer, oh well.
kingbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote