The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2021, 02:39 PM   #91
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
I'm not impressed. I think this is tacky for both you and your SA.
tacky????
OP will save at least 10k from grey. Any of us would take that deal in a heart beat.
SA get 1k tip.
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 05:21 PM   #92
nick_grice
"TRF" Member

Great read on your experience on getting a Daytona.

Sometimes it is a case of being in the right place at the right time. I was after a SS Daytona but realised the waiting list was way too long here in the UK. Buying on the gray market meant buying at PM prices and I felt I might a well get a PM Daytona and I also liked the Oysterflex bracelet.

Had my name down for a WG Daytona where my mum lives but thought I would see what a local AD could do for me.

I made an appointment to discuss, was told the waiting lists for SS and PM but they actually has a RG oysterflex in their safe if I wanted to try it on etc. but it was potentially someone’s watch.

Really liked the watch so asked to be put on the waiting list for the next one.

Whilst there we discussed what my wife wanted watch wise and also my interests, one of which being a GRRC member (not saying this would have any influence).

That afternoon the AD called me and told me the others in the queue did not want the watch and it was mine if I wanted it. Obviously I put a deposit down and picked it up between lockdown in the UK.

This was a purchase with no buying history and the first time in the shop. So does show the right place at the right time can also work.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
nick_grice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 08:06 PM   #93
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

If you call the current SS Daytona your grail, you might want to know it’s reference number ... 116500 ... so your AD might know you are serious. You also might want to know more about the watch other than the hype. Know the movement, know the history, know why you love it so much.

I’ve been seeking this watch too (as are many others), so what makes you different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 08:16 PM   #94
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
You are bribing your SA that it isn't a nice thing to do.

I never believe in waitlist, I think they will give to the person that they wanted to give but not in the order of the waitlist.
Isn't bribing your SA the nicest thing you can do? Here's a person struggling to make a living, maybe supporting a spouse and three or four children and an ailing mother, having to listen, all day, to wealthy clients begging for difficult to get watches and you come in with a straight up offer of $1000 cash just to be advanced (hopefully to next) in line. That's capitalism in it's finest form, and charity, too.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 11:58 PM   #95
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
If you call the current SS Daytona your grail, you might want to know it’s reference number ... 116500 ... so your AD might know you are serious. You also might want to know more about the watch other than the hype. Know the movement, know the history, know why you love it so much.

I’ve been seeking this watch too (as are many others), so what makes you different?

What’s with the hostility?

118238 (white)
124200 (silver)
Ω De Ville Jumping Hours 4853.61
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:19 AM   #96
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Good luck
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:41 AM   #97
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
What’s with the hostility?

Please let it go in this topic
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:50 AM   #98
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I have an established relationship with the AD. They have helped me in the past with several non-watch jewelry purchases (nothing really over $$$$) for the Mrs, watch servicing, & buying a 116610LV & 116710BLNR. It’s just the SS Daytona is an entirely different beast . ADs get aviut 3 annually if they are lucky (no idea about Rolex Boutiques).
Old 16 July 2021, 07:17 AM   #99
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I have an established relationship with the AD. They have helped me in the past with several non-watch jewelry purchases (nothing really over $$$$) for the Mrs, watch servicing, & buying a 116610LV & 116710BLNR. It’s just the SS Daytona is an entirely different beast . ADs get aviut 3 annually if they are lucky (no idea about Rolex Boutiques).
Any 6 month updates?

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:28 AM   #100
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
Any 6 month updates?

Ha ha. I was thinking about posting an update. Zero Daytona updates.

My AD called last month to state they are barely getting anything. Not just Rolex but even non-watches. My wife read similar supply issues from her “social media secret group” friends. I do think the latter is partially due to recent price increases by VCA, Chanel, Cartier, etc..

My non-Daytona updates are this Tudor Blue 58 and a recent unexpected gift from the wife. I assume she got tired of looking at my knock-off Cartier Love rings (both are wedding bands) stored in her ring box

Old 16 July 2021, 09:45 AM   #101
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
July 2018 update:

I reached out my local AD rep 2 weeks ago for the monthly check-in. No update on the Daytona. She / he just reinerated the watch is very hard to get for them but not impossible and person knows I want one really bad.

When it comes time to Xmas shop for the wife, I’ll be visiting my AD for a non- watch gift. In the past, I usually bought from Tiffany’s and BlueNile.

Minor update. The BLNR purchased on March had the stickers left on them. The Sub LVC from May had the stickers removed once I paid. Another fun thing fact (at least for me) is the BLNR's serial starts with “TK” which is an inside Star Wars joke. Ha.
Congrats on your pieces. You've obviously struck up a good relationship with your AD. Keep up the persistence and you'll get the Daytona.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:17 AM   #102
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

A monthly journal of trying to get a Daytona 116500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
Congrats on your pieces. You've obviously struck up a good relationship with your AD. Keep up the persistence and you'll get the Daytona.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

I do think my chances of getting a SS Ceramic Daytona is getting slimmer each passing year. How old is this topic again :)

I did tell my AD the Meteorite dial on OysterFlex also works. I would just need to sell 2-3 watches to pay for its MSRP. …if I can get / was offered one.
Old 16 July 2021, 10:26 AM   #103
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I hope you get the Daytona.

On the other hand, the BB58 is one amazing reference. I got one last year, and have it on a tan leather strap from Bulang & Sons. I hope you admire yours as much as I do mine.

ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:48 AM   #104
ks58
Banned

Just looking at the start of this thread and then the end, I expected to see the Holy Grail! I got mine early last year, waited about 4 months and have a good relationship with my dealer. It's a beautiful watch. Keep up the good fight. Keep buying from the dealer and you'll get it one day.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:00 PM   #105
JEdwardK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C
Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate it.

I do think my chances of getting a SS Ceramic Daytona is getting slimmer each passing year. How old is this topic again :)

I did tell my AD the Meteorite dial on OysterFlex also works. I would just need to sell 2-3 watches to pay for its MSRP. …if I can get / was offered one.
i'd think the meteorite Daytona would be even harder to get than a regular white dial
JEdwardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:09 PM   #106
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

Cool story so far. The expression enjoy the journey not the destination is showing real colours here. I see so many watch purchases, exchange of goods and jewellery in your journal it sounds like you’re already living the excitement equal to having a Daytona. Good luck, hope you get the watch soon!
Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:32 PM   #107
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Good luck. If it works out for you it will mean so much more for the journey you took.

I love my Daytona because it was luck and timing that got it allocated to me, and I had the money in the bank to buy it. Many times in my younger days I bought things I couldn't afford, and made bad financial decisions, and so this was a bit of a watershed moment for me. A reward for 10+ years of making good decisions and cleaning up my own mess. I will only part with it if it's life or death.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:25 PM   #108
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate it.

I'm waiting for that one too. I think the dial and bezel combo is way more interesting than the steel ones. The meteorite slab thickness creates a sunken subdial which gives the dial depth not found on the other configurations.

Good luck

Maybe they'll begin shipping this fall.

Old 16 July 2021, 01:37 PM   #109
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Jaisonline hang in there. I've been on the waiting list since around 2017 too so I know how it feels. During that time I've bought a couple watches from other brands and have really come to appreciate the journey. There are a lot of guys buying on hype or going grey to have it now but for the true collector the wait is all part of the fun. Stay strong and don't go grey as prices there are ridiculous.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:42 PM   #110
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Keep buying from them… all you can do…if you can’t get the SS your are for sure not getting a meteorite
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:05 AM   #111
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

No updates for mid-July, Aug, and Sept. I suspect Oct. will be the same.

Happy Halloween, Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, New Year as I won’t be posting an update until early 2022.
Old 2 October 2021, 12:10 PM   #112
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
No updates for mid-July, Aug, and Sept. I suspect Oct. will be the same.

Happy Halloween, Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, New Year as I won’t be posting an update until early 2022.
I browsed thru this thread from the beginning. Do you know someone who owns one and you see it once a week on their wrist? By this point in time I would have completely lost interest.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:50 PM   #113
Wine4Golf
"TRF" Member

I’ve spent $60k at my AD & been on the “list” for over 5 years & nothing. Rolex, ADs & their list can…
Wine4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 12:03 AM   #114
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I browsed thru this thread from the beginning. Do you know someone who owns one and you see it once a week on their wrist? By this point in time I would have completely lost interest.

Yep. With SS Subs and GMTs being nearly impossible to buy at retail, the Daytona has become harder & harder.

No one I see on a regular basis has a ceramic Daytona. In fact, I don’t think any of my friend or associate own a Daytona. Most of us seem to own 5-digit models.
Old 3 October 2021, 12:21 AM   #115
Woody
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is a nice watch.....but it is really not that great. I waited 4 years for mine and on reflection it was not worth the effort.....it is just a watch and will not change your life. Maybe time to depart the herd and look for something different and more individualistic?
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 12:34 AM   #116
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

All I can add is that the ceramic Daytona both black and white in SS are fantastic watches

Slim, elegant, rugged, and classic

brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 05:54 AM   #117
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
Cool story so far. The expression enjoy the journey not the destination is showing real colours here. I see so many watch purchases, exchange of goods and jewellery in your journal it sounds like you’re already living the excitement equal to having a Daytona. Good luck, hope you get the watch soon!

I think there is a lot of truth here. I have to admit I kind of enjoy “the game” myself. The proverbial hunt.

I hope my AD doesn’t read this though and keeps me hunting. I do eventually want a 116500 too!

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2022, 01:04 AM   #118
Watchman_PP
"TRF" Member

Any updates? Interesting read so far!
Watchman_PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 09:10 AM   #119
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

A monthly journal of trying to get a Daytona 116500

March 2023 Update Part A:

It's time for my irregular check-in. Then my posts were written every few months before settling at once per year. Anyway, I'm sure everyone read about the new 126500 Daytona model.

Background :

It's been 1,713 days since i created this thread in July 2018. I then stated , "...why not document my many unsuccessful attempts at acquiring my “grail” watch, a white dial Daytona 116510 white dial.

I started this hunt in Feb. 2018. At that time, secondary prices (white dial) were around $19K but decided to NOT pay above MSRP. I watched (no pun) pre-owned prices increase from $22K in 2019 to $28K in early 2021. Then things got really nutty in 2021 (saw preowned prices as high as $47K for white dials). For most of 2022, prices started declining which continued into 2023. From Jan to March 2023 , prices ranged between $26k and $34k. Mere hours after the 60th anniversary WoW announcement, prices increased 10% (or listings on many sites were removed) from what I observed. Currently, prices for white dial 116500s are in the mid-$30s.

Frankly, It has been a frustrating First World problem trying to be this watch from an AD since I began in early 2018. I learned a ton of info about AD allocation, reseller processes, relationships, empty promises, how outside people (mainly social media) w/ events (COVID, stocks, crypto) influence demand and secondary market prices.

March 2023 Update Part B:

My gut told me a new Daytona was coming for the 60th anniversary. I wasn't sure a redesign would only for precious metals or across the board. I do like the new model (reminds me if the 6263, 16520 & 116500 were put in a bag and shaken together). News of the 126500 also pushed up 116500 prices.

So with my gut feeling about a new Daytona announcement for WoW, I spoke w/ the wife last month. Needed her to be onboard. Then decreased my watch collection rather quickly and picked up a pre-owned 116500 for a very fair Feb. 2023 price.

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread and my journey since 2018.

Ironic, how my 116500 journey ended how I should have began it with buying a nice pre-owned full set model.

Old 30 March 2023, 09:16 AM   #120
Bijorn24
"TRF" Member

Congrats man on picking up your grail watch! Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and pay above retail value for the things you truly want.
Bijorn24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116500 , daytona , jaisonline , rolex