The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 May 2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Christies Auction Results! ALS Tourbillon PLM.

Seems like the world has finally woken up to A. Lange & Söhne’s astounding Tourbillon Pour Le Mérite pieces, launched as part of their four piece release in 1994 for their rebirth.

Tourbillon Pour Le Mérite in platinum, 751.005, sold at 500k CHF
https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6316399

Tourbillon Pour Le Mérite in rose gold, 701.011, sold at 437.5k CHF
https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6316400

https://langepedia.com/encyclopedia/...our-le-merite/

https://quillandpad.com/2017/04/08/l...-wristwatches/

Walter Lange’s daily wearer was a Tourbillon Pour Le Mérite in yellow gold, 701.001.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:11 PM   #2
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

quite a contrast from the phillips auction where everything was nuts. that one had a lot of reasonable numbers.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Langepedia
"TRF" Member

Yes!

A couple of months ago I believe I posted to somewhere stating that Lange is one of the last free lunches in the market!

I am also glad that my prediction here: https://langepedia.com/encyclopedia/...our-le-merite/
checked out :))

Huge congrats to the lucky owners. Both of those pieces are absolute stunners and as important as it gets within A. Lange & Söhne universe.

On the other hand, it is a general craze... 5711R Tiffany - CHF 300K!! A lot to say.
Langepedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Just interested to see how it will go now the financial markets seem to be contracting consistently. It will certainly add water onto the mills of those seeking alternative investments, but on the other hand limit the number of buyers who just made a couple taking the elevator for a little while and want to celebrate by joining the 5711 club.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Just interested to see how it will go now the financial markets seem to be contracting consistently. It will certainly add water onto the mills of those seeking alternative investments, but on the other hand limit the number of buyers who just made a couple taking the elevator for a little while and want to celebrate by joining the 5711 club.
I don't think we're at the point where the contraction is based in anything other than behaviour (herd looks one way; herd looks the other). It'll take something much more concrete (rising rates - if that ever happens) to see people fleeing assets to cash.

A joke I heard was that the Fed wouldn't give you a 20% correction, but it'd sanction two 10s.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:08 PM   #6
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
quite a contrast from the phillips auction where everything was nuts. that one had a lot of reasonable numbers.
Clearly the money launderers don't like Christies.

Also, wow, I completely missed the ball on these. Had I paid attention and known that they were bracelet versions coming up, I'd have participated.

I've seen some laughable estimates, but these ones are truly something. I know why they set them low (to generate interest), but this one's a bit absurd.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:56 PM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I don't think we're at the point where the contraction is based in anything other than behaviour (herd looks one way; herd looks the other). It'll take something much more concrete (rising rates - if that ever happens) to see people fleeing assets to cash.

A joke I heard was that the Fed wouldn't give you a 20% correction, but it'd sanction two 10s.
What contraction? Wasn't the Dow making new highs three days ago? Gold's at $1,820, Bitcoin $56,000. Just because Peloton is down 50%, I don't think that constitutes a contraction in the economy.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:38 AM   #8
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Contractions in the financial markets and in the economy are two different things.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote