The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2021, 01:04 PM   #1
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Patek 5320G

Hey guys! Long time lurker.

I’m looking to buy my first Patek, and I am close to settling on the 5320G. This is a reference that I sort of ignored at first - the faux patina, in and of itself, kind of pushed me away.

Over time, however, I have come back to it, and I have grown to appreciate it immensely. In a way, it is a wholly unusual watch - it has a stamped case (although well finished); it has the 324 as its base caliber; it has lume; it has faux patina; it has curious, Art Deco lugs - it is almost anti-Patek, and purposely contrived, and I find that immensely charming. Yes, it is gorgeous, and extremely well balanced. But it is nonetheless something of an odd bird!

And, at day’s end, it is nearly a perfect size, and is one of the few dress Pateks that straddles work and play. In short, it just kind of makes sense to me. It feels unique, but wholly practical.

I am very certain this is the one. But would love to hear from some other owners on why they were drawn to this watch (or, conversely, if you are not an owner, why you decided not to go this direction!).
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:15 PM   #2
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Get a room already!!..
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:46 PM   #3
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Hmm, I'm not a fan of the 5320G because it had both modern and vintage design rolled into one piece. Also not a fan of the cream dial which I thought gave it too much of a vintage look in a modern sized case. In short, it felt all over the place, and I'd go with an annual calendar chronograph (5905 etc.) for that price range.
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:50 PM   #4
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I just got the call today and my AD told me that my 5320G is leaving Geneva and he should be receiving it next week. So in best case scenario, I will have it by end of week. Will let you know how I like it then.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:11 PM   #5
thatssosick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post

I’m looking to buy my first Patek, and I am close to settling on the 5320G. This is a reference that I sort of ignored at first - the faux patina, in and of itself, kind of pushed me away.

Over time, however, I have come back to it, and I have grown to appreciate it immensely. In a way, it is a wholly unusual watch - it has a stamped case (although well finished); it has the 324 as its base caliber; it has lume; it has faux patina; it has curious, Art Deco lugs - it is almost anti-Patek, and purposely contrived, and I find that immensely charming. Yes, it is gorgeous, and extremely well balanced. But it is nonetheless something of an odd bird!

And, at day’s end, it is nearly a perfect size, and is one of the few dress Pateks that straddles work and play. In short, it just kind of makes sense to me. It feels unique, but wholly practical.

I am very certain this is the one. But would love to hear from some other owners on why they were drawn to this watch (or, conversely, if you are not an owner, why you decided not to go this direction!).
I debated on this piece for such a long time still am but personally I felt like the movement was a bit of a cop out. Dial side amazing, just when I flipped it over the movement was slightly lacking in excitement. It felt slightly too small for the casae and I can't help but think that a slightly bigger movement or a micro-rotor would have suited it better.

Just my 2c, it's all very personal, I admit the dial and case is immense and I'm still itching to get one...
thatssosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:15 PM   #6
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
I think it's a lovely unique watch. Would love to add it one day if i have the funds.
Old 13 May 2021, 06:27 PM   #7
kzou
"TRF" Member

Although it's not too popular I do think it's a good piece. I wear mine more than I ever expected. For a pc, it's kinda casual and fits many occasions not just formal attire. Being a bit thicker with the winding rotor I think actually fits it better.

通过我的 SM-G991W 上的 Tapatalk发言
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:47 PM   #8
charlysha
"TRF" Member

this is my daily watch (when humidity os not too high) what I appreciate the most beside the design is how easy and fast it is to read time and date on it
charlysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:59 PM   #9
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Have 5172. Similar case, lugs, index numbers. In my opinion better looking caseback, and nicer dial color. Also cheaper. For me that clinched it for 5172 vs 5320.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 08:34 PM   #10
MinhPham
"TRF" Member

You can find my last post of my 5320g to get more feeling (many comments and views)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=791957

In general we need to compare in same level, 5172g has no chance to win
MinhPham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 08:35 PM   #11
MinhPham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I just got the call today and my AD told me that my 5320G is leaving Geneva and he should be receiving it next week. So in best case scenario, I will have it by end of week. Will let you know how I like it then.
Has not arrived yet since your last post:)
MinhPham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 09:44 PM   #12
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatssosick View Post
I debated on this piece for such a long time still am but personally I felt like the movement was a bit of a cop out. Dial side amazing, just when I flipped it over the movement was slightly lacking in excitement. It felt slightly too small for the casae and I can't help but think that a slightly bigger movement or a micro-rotor would have suited it better.

Just my 2c, it's all very personal, I admit the dial and case is immense and I'm still itching to get one...
Yes, I find the movement to be underwhelming (as I do in a lot of Patek watches, if we are being honest). However, I do have a general rule - unless the movement is way, way, way too small, if it does not impede the design of the watch, I try not to get bent out of shape. In other words, looking dial side, it does not appear that any concessions were made.

It should be a little less expensive to service, which is nice :).
Old 13 May 2021, 09:47 PM   #13
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinhPham View Post
You can find my last post of my 5320g to get more feeling (many comments and views)
[/url]

In general we need to compare in same level, 5172g has no chance to win
Thanks for the link! Not sure how I missed that

I like the 5172G. However, I would take the Lange 1815 Chronograph any day of the week (particularly for the price difference).

5320G + Lange 1815 Chrono is kind of my dream one-two punch.
Old 13 May 2021, 11:04 PM   #14
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
This has easily become my favorite watch. The size is perfect for me, the dial is easy to read at a glance, not like some grand complications, and it just makes me feel good when I look at it.

I love this watch.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:38 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinhPham View Post
Has not arrived yet since your last post:)
Hopefully next week. My AD told me it is leaving Geneva and he will have it next week.
Old 14 May 2021, 02:40 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Not sure how I missed that

I like the 5172G. However, I would take the Lange 1815 Chronograph any day of the week (particularly for the price difference).

5320G + Lange 1815 Chrono is kind of my dream one-two punch.
Or 5320 + ALS Datograph 😀
Old 14 May 2021, 03:07 AM   #17
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Get the watch and show us a wrist shot of the incoming
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:15 AM   #18
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I’m close :)
Old 14 May 2021, 03:16 AM   #19
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or 5320 + ALS Datograph 😀
I love the Dato, but the Chrono seems WAY more wearable. I’m scared of the Dato.
Old 14 May 2021, 05:11 AM   #20
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I am new to posting photos. Is there a specific image hosting site I should use?
Old 14 May 2021, 05:29 AM   #21
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
I am new to posting photos. Is there a specific image hosting site I should use?
Suggest Tapatalk.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 06:00 AM   #22
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Suggest Tapatalk.
Thanks!
Old 14 May 2021, 11:33 AM   #23
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a wonderful watch.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 08:20 AM   #24
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Hi
You can find my post about the 5320G here
http://Patek Philippe 5320G my 40th ...ink_source=app
I believe my logic in selecting the 5320G is very similar to yours
I wanted a PC to replace two of my ACs.
I have the 5146G which is a good balance between dress/casual watch.
What drew me to the 5320G is the DNA PC Patek with the two appeture windows. It pays homage to some legendary references espically 1591 I believe.
It is hands down the best option among PC in current and recent Patek models. It is a great mix between vintage and modern and that is what TS said (when designing it I was looking for a watch that my dad can wear and also my son).
The box shaped crystal is really cool, the syringe hands are beautiful. As far as the movement goes, I am ok with it because I really love center seconds (full rotor) over small seconds (micro rotor). And since I’ll be looking at the dial list of the time I don’t mind if it’s center seconds with full rotor in the back.
One of the things that I also notice is that TS wears the 5320 a lot on interviews (much like his dad used to wear the 3940). So it will be a future collectible IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2021, 01:20 PM   #25
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
Quote:

I bought mine last week and LOVE it. For me it was a last minute decision. I was looking at 5905R and 5205G...but then took a sudden tour. I do not regret it. The only issue i do not like is the stamped case. That is a bit embarrassing...i felt my JLC duometre luminaire etc. is a better case. but please get it. you will love it. It is nice, and it is humble. If you do not love it, blame all the fake cowboys of manhattan.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:26 PM   #26
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

The only other PC watch i'd consider besides 5320G that i happily own, would be 5270P which is amazing. But past my limit...i would hate to lose it or have it stolen. I had a Rolex Daytona white gold that got stolen after less than three weeks of use. Still burns me.
Old 15 May 2021, 05:29 PM   #27
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
Hi
You can find my post about the 5320G here
http://Patek Philippe 5320G my 40th ...ink_source=app
I believe my logic in selecting the 5320G is very similar to yours
I wanted a PC to replace two of my ACs.
I have the 5146G which is a good balance between dress/casual watch.
What drew me to the 5320G is the DNA PC Patek with the two appeture windows. It pays homage to some legendary references espically 1591 I believe.
It is hands down the best option among PC in current and recent Patek models. It is a great mix between vintage and modern and that is what TS said (when designing it I was looking for a watch that my dad can wear and also my son).
The box shaped crystal is really cool, the syringe hands are beautiful. As far as the movement goes, I am ok with it because I really love center seconds (full rotor) over small seconds (micro rotor). And since I’ll be looking at the dial list of the time I don’t mind if it’s center seconds with full rotor in the back.
One of the things that I also notice is that TS wears the 5320 a lot on interviews (much like his dad used to wear the 3940). So it will be a future collectible IMHO

i fear PP is overproducing the 5320G. they seem to be available at most ADs and many ADs are now pushing them in bundle deals with nautilus and aquanauts. you can see the recent surge in 5320 incomings here in this forum....
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:51 PM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
The only other PC watch i'd consider besides 5320G that i happily own, would be 5270P which is amazing. But past my limit...i would hate to lose it or have it stolen. I had a Rolex Daytona white gold that got stolen after less than three weeks of use. Still burns me.
Who stole it, the cowboys of manhattan
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:00 PM   #29
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Who stole it, the cowboys of manhattan
LOL...no idea, only guesses. Actually i have an idea but i do not want to finger point. Reported to the police and to Rolex...
Old 16 May 2021, 02:29 AM   #30
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Patek 5320G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i fear PP is overproducing the 5320G. they seem to be available at most ADs and many ADs are now pushing them in bundle deals with nautilus and aquanauts. you can see the recent surge in 5320 incomings here in this forum....

IMHO I don’t believe PP are overproducing them since I had to wait some months for my allocation. I don’t deny having seen in the inside display of my AD, but I also seen a 5496P there so they seem to have that display for grand complications. My AD had another 5320G that was ordered but never picked up and he told me that they had interest from some customers but they only want to allocate it to serious collectors.
Given the fact that the 5320G was released in 2017 and was only produced in one metal, I believe 2021 might be the last year we see it.
Another reason to not believe PP are overproducing it is the fact that 5237 is produced in multiple metals and 5496 was produced in multiple metals. So from quantity prospective there are more of those.