The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2012, 10:38 AM   #61
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
this doesent even make sense?

" ferrari will not sell you a new car unless you've made a previous purchase from them"

my question is than how does one make the 1st purchase to get the 2nd purchase?
What is so funny....certain Ferrari's can not be purchased new from the dealer unless you have owned a previous model...this is common knowledge (practice) among Ferrari's
Old 2 March 2012, 01:09 PM   #62
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
ADs cannot charge BELOW MSRP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Didn't think ADs can charge more than msrp. Thought Rolex will pull their dealership if they did that
Nope, myths.

Rolex can enforce a MAP (minimum advertised price) but not a minimum nor maximum selling price.

Trust me, I am very familiar with manufacturer pricing restrictions on consumer goods in the USA.

Search the Ping case on this site for comprehensive documentation on this subject.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 03:36 PM   #63
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTafari View Post
[CENTER]I've been seeing this posted for a while.. are people having that much of a problem finding Daytonas?

Whenever I need one I can find it within a day or so

Why is it that there is this constant misunderstanding.

In certain parts of the world the SS Daytona is not readily available at ADs. The wait list here in Perth can be up to two years. I also found them hard to find when in Singapore a couple of years back. Not sure what the situation is there now.

They are, however, mostly available through sellers on this forum.

Most people who are members here can, therefore, access them through the top sellers if they choose to go that route.

No big deal really - but if you were not a member here, or had associated/similar contacts, and lived in Perth you'd have to wait a while. Same in a lot of places.

Then there are those who report they are readily available at their local ADs.

So - we can conclude that it all depends on where you are in this big world we live in

Your assertion you can get them easily is, therefore, not that big a deal.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 09:56 AM   #64
Chpdesign

There's a Black Dial SS...

Right here in the Rocky Mountains if anyone wants one. Local dealer has one in the display case. Better hurry before the next buffalo rancher comes buy and grabs it!
Chpdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 10:56 AM   #65
nim

Watch: cosmograph daytona
ss daytona is still relatively rare compared to most other rolex model
nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 01:20 PM   #66
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post

In certain parts of the world the SS Daytona is not readily available at ADs. The wait list here in Perth can be up to two years. I also found them hard to find when in Singapore a couple of years back. Not sure what the situation is there now.

Most people who are members here can, therefore, access them through the top sellers if they choose to go that route.

No big deal really - but if you were not a member here, or had associated/similar contacts, and lived in Perth you'd have to wait a while. Same in a lot of places.

So - we can conclude that it all depends on where you are in this big world we live in

Well said Dalip.

Perhaps this will diminish the bi monthy "Is the SS Daytona rare?" debate.

but I doubt it.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2012, 04:04 AM   #67
Craigejm
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Hi, I'm new to the forum and based in the UK.

I have just had 'the call' to purchase a SS Daytona with white face and am undecided as to what to do. The MSRP has gone up quite a bit since I put my name on the waiting list and I am concerned second hand markets have gone a bit flat.

I really like the watch but it was also the fact I saw it as a good investment that made me want one. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craigejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2012, 05:24 AM   #68
herbie911
"TRF" Member

If you are thinking about selling it. Forget it! Leave that white Daytona for a watch lover who will treasured it for life.

When I got my 1st SS Daytona (White) two years ago, I intend to keep mine til I am too old to bother about time!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2012, 06:43 AM   #69
Sam Philip
Banned

I got mine within a month from an AD in the UK. Had to pay full MSRP.

I know AD's in Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia charge a "premium" for the Daytona. Even Rolex Singapore knows that AD's are charging a premium for the Daytona. Black face commands a higher premium than the white
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2012, 07:14 AM   #70
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Got an oportunity to buy mine at MSRP and jumped on it. Then again, it was a White Face.

All kidding aside, there was a long time, and not that long ago, where you either had to be on a waiting list (mostly bogus I suspect) or have a relation$hip with your AD. It's still amongst the rarest of models and less readily available than most.
Old 26 May 2012, 07:36 AM   #71
Craigejm
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to get it. I figure I'll regret not getting more than I will if I do... :-)
Craigejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 10:45 AM   #72
MisterX
"TRF" Member

So what's the current MRSP price for a SS Daytona???
Last time I asked Majors in Miami Beach and they said 11something + 7% tax...
MisterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 10:52 AM   #73
imono
"TRF" Member

MSRP is $11250.00
No tax in Delaware.
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 01:49 PM   #74
bmw550i
"TRF" Member

Watch: White SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqllc View Post
What is so funny....certain Ferrari's can not be purchased new from the dealer unless you have owned a previous model...this is common knowledge (practice) among Ferrari's
True statement.
bmw550i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 02:01 PM   #75
bmw550i
"TRF" Member

Watch: White SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post

Best explanation I've seen. FWIW, one AD near me couldn't get a white one, but the owner offered to sell his black one (Literally off his wrist).

The other AD had a white one, but it wasn't on display. I casually asked while trying on Exp. and Milgauss and the sales lady was real coy saying she might have one.. then she went and got it from the safe and unboxed and let me try it on. I went back a few days later and bought it - and negotiated some diamond earrings thrown in which might have equaled a 5-6% discount. While there I met the owner and he said he tried to order a black one that day and his rolex rep said he "might be able to get him on the waiting list".

So maybe its not the AD's perpetuating the "waiting list" story after all?

Both dealers told me they only get one per year in each color. I don't live in a big city, so I'm sure my two local AD's are not turning over huge volumes and I'm sure that's a factor. I did not have relationships with either, but was introduced to them by very good existing customers.
bmw550i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 02:33 PM   #76
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Why would anyone use an AD, I prefer DSW:)
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 03:05 PM   #77
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
With the US economy being lousy for the past few years, I doubt any AD wouldn't sell their steel Daytonas if buyers had immediate funds avail. All I can say when buying a watch such as a brand new steel Daytona is that "cash talks and BS walks".
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 03:30 PM   #78
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Here in the US, not a lot of AD's have SS Daytona's hiding in their safe for special clients. I'll be the first to admit, I sell Rolex's at the Boutique in Seattle and we don't have one in stock. They aren't readily available. We don't keep a wait list for people who want one either (If we did, it'd be a mile long). When/If one comes in (we're expecting one soon), we call clients who have shown an interest and let them know we have one. It's a first come-first served business, and until there's money down on it, it goes into the case.

And, expect to pay full MSRP. It isn't 2004 anymore, and discounting isn't happening as often, especially on hard to find models. Rolex has shut hundreds of doors for various reasons in the past years, and if you think discounting wasn't a factor... well, as someone mentioned earlier. Some people are S L O W...
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116520 , daytona , rare , rolex