The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2018, 09:17 PM   #1
danny_acs
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Will Smarty End Links Scratch the Underside of the Case?

I'm looking for the opinion of people who installed Smarty end links on their watches.

I have a SS 116520 Daytona, and I'm considering putting an Oysterflex or Genuine Rolex leather straps in combination with the smarty end links. Obviously I'm after a 116519 look. I know fitment is not 100% perfect, and there would a bit of play depending on the thickness of the OF or leather. So would the rear lugs of the custom end links rub a lot against the back of the watch case creating scratches?

I know it wouldn't be the end of the world especially since these scratches would be on the back, but if I switch back to a SS bracelet, would you clearly see where the lugs of the Smarty end links were touching? I used to put Nato straps on my GMT, so no matter how careful I was, putting the the bracelet springbars back made some minor scratches on the case which would really annoy me.

Obviously a polish would fix all of this, but I wanted to hear people's opinions. It would be great if perhaps someone had pictures of the "damage" (or the lack thereof) that those end links would do. Thanks!
danny_acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 11:28 PM   #2
tng11
"TRF" Member

Yes, I see some minor marks on the underside of the lugs from the Smarty end link where it holds on to the case. They're only visible when I have the bracelet back on.

Minor marks on the underside of the lugs don't bother me in the least.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 04:58 PM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Curious to get some additional feedback from others on this. I don't believe the endlinks are Smarty, but they are essentially the same thing with the little tabs on the bottom.

I was hoping to put my Daytona on an Oysterflex with these, and I think that would lead to dirt and grime getting in there as well as any shifting of the metal rubbing and causing scratching.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 11:45 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Yes, I see some minor marks on the underside of the lugs from the Smarty end link where it holds on to the case. They're only visible when I have the bracelet back on.

Minor marks on the underside of the lugs don't bother me in the least.

My experience with various Rolex watches is similar with the Smarty endlinks, not concerned at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:15 AM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes. They definitely do. I’ve used them for years and it’s something you just have to live with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:24 AM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
What about a deftly placed tiny piece of transparent tape just where the smarty tab meets the case? It would be invisible under the tab and avoid said marks.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 04:00 AM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
What about a deftly placed tiny piece of transparent tape just where the smarty tab meets the case? It would be invisible under the tab and avoid said marks.
I was thinking about that, but I wouldn't like to get the watch wet then.

I found some endlinks that don't have the tabs that I think I may get instead!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116519 , 116520 , end links , scratch , smartie