The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2020, 05:55 AM   #61
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
You can easily get a new sapphire speedy for $4,800 and people are used to that. Jumping to $14,000 virtually overnight will kill the buzz before it even begins. A bridge too far. A MSRP of $9,950 would’ve brought them right into the ballpark and instantly generated waiting lists at full MSRP. Perhaps even creating offshoot demand for the other Speedmaster variants.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #62
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I think the vast majority of the uplift is in the movement. Digging out the old plans and re-tooling for the 321 and then only making very small quantities (likely fully hand built by a small team) will cost them a tidy sum. They’re not churning 321s out like they are the 1861s.

I understand the uplift but I don’t feel emotionally attached enough to lay down $14k. I’ll still hold for a 3861 release and go from there I think. Failing that I’ll just grab an 1861 for cheap.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:55 AM   #63
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworbled View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what is the significance of the "dot over 90" on the tachymetre bezel?
I just did a Google search and did a little digging. It seems like the "dot over 90" (aka DON) is merely used as a reference marker on vintage Speedmasters made during certain years? I don't understand the fuss but perhaps I'm missing something?
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:55 AM   #64
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

That price......
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:55 AM   #65
FTX I
"TRF" Member

One can get the real deal in very nice shape for that price.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #66
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy/BB
Quote:
I just did a Google search and did a little digging. It seems like the "dot over 90" (aka DON) is merely used as a reference marker on vintage Speedmasters made during certain years? I don't understand the fuss but perhaps I'm missing something?
authentic DON bezels go for $4k+

obviously this is not that, but just FYI. big for collectors
DaninFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #67
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Not sure why folks are balking at the price (not that lower is not better lol). The movement is legendary, the watch an almost exact creation and people are falling all over them selves to plunk down 20’grand for an illegible Daytona with a completely made up “heritage” likely produced at significantly higher numbers than the 321 movement in this watch. Sorry even at this price point it’s a better watch than the Daytona and it’s not close.
completely agree. people should read up on the manufacturing process the 321 movement will be. i had guessed the moonwatch with the 321 in it would be around $16k. there will not be many available and the waitlist is going to drive up prices, esp in the first year or so
Old 8 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #68
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninFlorida View Post
authentic DON bezels go for $4k+

obviously this is not that, but just FYI. big for collectors
Thank you very much for the reply. But the fuss is merely aesthetic? Man, that's a lot of money to pay for a position of a dot. Not trying to troll or crap on anybody's parade but I'm trying to learn. I'd eventually like to add a Speedmaster to my collection but there are so many damn choices out there. I think I'd prefer a model with historical significance but the whole dot thing just seems rather arbitrary. Granted I know this particular model is selling for a premium for a multitude of other reasons besides the DON. For someone ignorant like me it doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm glad that hardcore collectors are happy about the dot placement.
Old 8 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #69
nworbled
"TRF" Member

By the way, as chance would have it I re-watched Apollo 13 last night...the other few times I watched the movie I was not into watches. Having re-watched it last night now that I have an interest in watches it was pretty neat to see the Speedmasters on the wrists of the astronauts.
Old 8 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #70
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply. But the fuss is merely aesthetic? Man, that's a lot of money to pay for a position of a dot. Not trying to troll or crap on anybody's parade but I'm trying to learn. I'd eventually like to add a Speedmaster to my collection but there are so many damn choices out there. I think I'd prefer a model with historical significance but the whole dot thing just seems rather arbitrary. Granted I know this particular model is selling for a premium for a multitude of other reasons besides the DON. For someone ignorant like me it doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm glad that hardcore collectors are happy about the dot placement.
like most things that are collectible, minor differences can cause value to go up a lot. the DON bezels were only around a few years and then changed, so that increases the "rarity" and drives up cost. no difference in vintage Rolex and all the little differences in fonts/color/etc that drive up collectability.

one thing to remember with this 321 Speedy, its not targeted for everyone looking for a moonwatch, even though it isnt a limited edition since it will stay in production, it will be very limited based on how many they produce each year.

the little details on this release are what people are looking for, one of them being the DON, other things like the raised omega symbol, etc.
Old 8 January 2020, 07:28 AM   #71
DaninFlorida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By the way, as chance would have it I re-watched Apollo 13 last night...the other few times I watched the movie I was not into watches. Having re-watched it last night now that I have an interest in watches it was pretty neat to see the Speedmasters on the wrists of the astronauts.
if you want to get a moonwatch for everyday wear, this one isnt it at this price point. that said, the speedmaster moon pro will be still avail, in two options....hesalite (plastic) cyrstal (closest to original moonwatchs) or the sapphire version, which also has a sapphire display back.
Old 8 January 2020, 07:43 AM   #72
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
like most things that are collectible, minor differences can cause value to go up a lot. the DON bezels were only around a few years and then changed, so that increases the "rarity" and drives up cost. no difference in vintage Rolex and all the little differences in fonts/color/etc that drive up collectability.

one thing to remember with this 321 Speedy, its not targeted for everyone looking for a moonwatch, even though it isnt a limited edition since it will stay in production, it will be very limited based on how many they produce each year.

the little details on this release are what people are looking for, one of them being the DON, other things like the raised omega symbol, etc.
Makes total sense regarding the other minor collectability details that you mentioned. I actually didn't think of it like that until you pointed it out.

Quote:
if you want to get a moonwatch for everyday wear, this one isnt it at this price point. that said, the speedmaster moon pro will be still avail, in two options....hesalite (plastic) cyrstal (closest to original moonwatchs) or the sapphire version, which also has a sapphire display back.
Yeah I've looked into those versions before. I've never had a manual-wind watch before so I don't know if that type of movement would suit me or not. I'm lazy. Haha.
Old 8 January 2020, 07:44 AM   #73
cfracing
"TRF" Member

Deleted. Took too long to respond and question was answered better.
cfracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:00 AM   #74
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
You can easily get a new sapphire speedy for $4,800 and people are used to that. Jumping to $14,000 virtually overnight will kill the buzz before it even begins. A bridge too far. A MSRP of $9,950 would’ve brought them right into the ballpark and instantly generated waiting lists at full MSRP. Perhaps even creating offshoot demand for the other Speedmaster variants.

I agree w this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:09 AM   #75
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I love it. But no way in hell im paying 14k for a speedy
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:21 AM   #76
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
[/QUOTE]

Is that a notional power reserve indicator just above the balance wheel?
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:32 AM   #77
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I'll be putting my name down, best rendition of a speedy in a while. I don't think the asking price is an issue, this for me is better than a daytona and hopefully you're able to buy one at the AD unlike said watch...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:33 AM   #78
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Is that a notional power reserve indicator just above the balance wheel?[/QUOTE]

That's for the regulation I'm pretty sure.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:48 AM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
That's for the regulation I'm pretty sure.
Yup. In English:

A = Advance (faster)
R = Retard (slower)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:39 AM   #80
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
It’s a lot of dough for an Omega Speedmaster. I want it, but do I want it enough to sink that much? Don’t know right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #81
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It’s a lot of dough for an Omega Speedmaster. I want it, but do I want it enough to sink that much? Don’t know right now.

I hear you The price point is really making this a hard sell for me. I mean my Sky-Dweller was cheaper than this! I love the look of this watch but am on the fence. Also, we JUST get a gold plated movement :-/ I mean couldn't Omega have given us a little more material value here for this high cost
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:57 AM   #82
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Beautiful watch ( at least on paper ). Not so sure about the price. This release was expected but faster than I thought.
Old 8 January 2020, 12:03 PM   #83
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I would put down my name at the $8000 or so mark. No way at $13.5k.

2nd hand market it is on this one.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:22 PM   #84
rolex01
"TRF" Member

I love the way Omega had came up with the overall design but the CHF13k price tag had put me off. There are better watch options available and I won't be plunging on this. Its just doesn't worth the price at least too me.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:25 PM   #85
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yup. In English:

A = Advance (faster)
R = Retard (slower)
Much appreciated. I thought it might be something like that.
Old 8 January 2020, 12:46 PM   #86
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Daytona 116500 all day long at that price point
Yeah but remember if you want a Daytona tomorrow you're going to have to pay $20K+
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 02:22 PM   #87
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
I would put down my name at the $8000 or so mark. No way at $13.5k.

2nd hand market it is on this one.

And if Omega are only making 1-2,000 per year, as each is made by one watchmaker, it’ll be interesting to see what the grey market does with this watch. Omega will limit supply, which at the very least should keep the future grey price close to or even above MSRP—assuming there’s strong interest in the watch. This’ll be interesting to observe.

Old 8 January 2020, 02:32 PM   #88
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Daytona 116500 all day long at that price point
When you put it that way... it is a hard sell

Discount needed on the omega.
Old 8 January 2020, 02:41 PM   #89
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I love this watch. It's got everything I wanted in a Speedmaster and really want to move forward and get on the list. However, the price is hard to swallow given the regular Speedy price. I think I will wait and see if this goes in the normal direction for Omegas of being able to get a sizable discount or if it goes the Rolex way and turns into a grey market ripoff before I decide to buy or not. Also, they made the movement in gold, which I am sure is (good or bad) part of the reason the price is so high.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:47 PM   #90
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Similar to the new non limited edition Bond Seamaster, there is so much to like about this new Speedy other than its price. Will be interesting to see what it trades for in the secondary market.

It has all the things that purist Speedy collectors look for, together with some nice modern touches.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote