The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 May 2021, 07:20 AM   #1
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Romain Gauthier

Any owners of Romain Gauthier? Are these watches waitlisted and hard to get? Any comments on the Logical One? Boy, really liking the Insight Micro-Rotor model? The finish appears top of line, comments? Would love to hear stories of current owners.

Any thoughts on company financial stance? Watches keep their value?

Thanks for sharing.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 10:32 AM   #2
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g
Personal haven’t owned one but they trade below MSRP usually - a deal to be had there.

I’m a huge fan of the look of the logical one with the gold dial.

Personally, I’d go with a Journe CO before buying this :)

ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:04 AM   #3
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

If you want the flavor of the month, buy a Journe. If you want a more reliable, better finished (no comparison whatsoever), more exclusive (50 pieces/year) timepiece, buy the RG. You will also have a relationship with a humble, accessible master of craft who answers his own emails.

As to financial viability, Romain manufactures parts and movements for 20+ watch ateliers. Being a supplier pays the bills, building watches is his passion project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B31I6175-Edit.jpg (220.1 KB, 1319 views)
File Type: jpg B31I5956-Edit-HR.jpg (221.6 KB, 1322 views)
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:59 PM   #4
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Hey Chase, no doubt that CO keeps looking for me. ; ) it has a special place.

I am looking at expanding the collection. RG has been on my radar for year now but know little about the brand. I have never held one and know no one that has one. They look amazing.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:03 AM   #5
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
If you want the flavor of the month, buy a Journe. If you want a more reliable, better finished (no comparison whatsoever), more exclusive (50 pieces/year) timepiece, buy the RG. You will also have a relationship with a humble, accessible master of craft who answers his own emails.

As to financial viability, Romain manufactures parts and movements for 20+ watch ateliers. Being a supplier pays the bills, building watches is his passion project.

Athens, thanks for the message. Your watch is drop dead gorgeous. Congratulations.

How was the buying experience? Why this model? How did you run into the brand and decided on this particular one? I am really impressed.

The silence on this thread shows me how rare they rare.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:36 AM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Haven't own a Romain Gauthier yet but i have the chance to study several models of the Logical One and the Micro-Rotor up close and even fortunate enough to visit and tour the manufacture in Geneva two years back ( Don't we all miss pre-covid days ? ). I can only say without hesitation that in terms of finishing and the sheer precision and artistry of watch making, this brand ranks among the very pinnacle of Haute Horology, and even among the highest end indies.

Check out the following IG post I have previously posted about Romain Gauthier

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByfHHpAn..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtLalQ-H..._web_copy_link

If you are interested in the MicroRotor, do check out the new Micro-Rotor Skeleton. Amazingly good.

As for resale, not much market data on this as most owners will prefer to keep them so its not common in the preown market. I guess it probably sells like most indies do, which is not great. But then, I won't really be selling one if I own one.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:56 AM   #7
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm a huge fan of the brand and have great admiration for the man. He did a very interesting interview for Tim Mosso's podcast, which you can check out here:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...YTU4ZWFl?ep=14
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:42 AM   #8
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Athens, thanks for the message. Your watch is drop dead gorgeous. Congratulations.

How was the buying experience? Why this model? How did you run into the brand and decided on this particular one? I am really impressed.

The silence on this thread shows me how rare they rare.
I purchased my watch through an unusual path. That said, Romain has treated me as if I purchased the watch directly from him (in fact, he provided paperwork to that effect). I have never received as much consideration and courtesy from an atelier as I have from Romain. He is happy to sell direct, but he is probably only a source for new pieces. I am not aware of any trade in or pre-owned offers direct from his atelier.

If you buy from an AD, your experience will of course vary based on the AD. In the US, I would recommend Martin Pulli in Philadelphia for the purchase of any brand that he represents.

As to my discovery of RG, I study various watch brands a lot and came upon RG timepieces a couple of years ago. Due to cost and size considerations, the HM/HMS and Insight series were the ones upon which I focused. I was looking for an HM Platinum when I stumbled across this HMS Platinum Ten. I liked the layout of the semi-skeletonized movement for its combination of dial legibility and visibility of the exquisite finissage of the movement. The platinum variants usually have frosted bridges, as opposed the the more typical Cotes de Geneve. Romain's wide and rounded anglage really pops with the frosted bridges. The blue dials are also specific to the platinum versions.

RG watches are on the larger side; the Insight in precious metal at 39 mm is his smallest watch. Logical Ones and Freedom collection watches are typically 43 mm with long lugs (over 50 mm lug to lug). It is useful to keep this in mind, especially if you have smaller wrists. My 41 mm works well on my 7" wrist, but I think a Logical One would be too large for me (it's too expensive for me, too).

RG watches are made in small numbers (50 per year) and don't change hands often. A couple of years ago, bargains were to be had; less so today. The last couple of pieces that I have seen cross the auction block have traded at 2/3 current MSRP. Like most Swiss watches, prices have escalated significantly over the last 5 years, so these pieces were probably 90% + of their original MSRP. There is a titanium HMS for sale at Phillips Geneva sale tomorrow. It is the only RG for sale at the Geneva sales this weekend, AFAIK. It will be interesting to see what it brings. Early 2020 MSRP was 66,000 CHF, but there have been a couple of price increases since then. Original MSRP on my watch in 2016 was 58,000 GBP ($80K US at current exchange rates), but late 2020 MSRP was $95K US.

At the end of the day, if Romain's design language and philosophy speaks to you, buy the best example that you can find and afford. You will be getting a watch with Dufour-like finishing and a completely unique approach to mechanical design and engineering.
Old 10 May 2021, 01:16 AM   #9
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Haven't own a Romain Gauthier yet but i have the chance to study several models of the Logical One and the Micro-Rotor up close and even fortunate enough to visit and tour the manufacture in Geneva two years back ( Don't we all miss pre-covid days ? ). I can only say without hesitation that in terms of finishing and the sheer precision and artistry of watch making, this brand ranks among the very pinnacle of Haute Horology, and even among the highest end indies.

Check out the following IG post I have previously posted about Romain Gauthier

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByfHHpAn..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtLalQ-H..._web_copy_link

If you are interested in the MicroRotor, do check out the new Micro-Rotor Skeleton. Amazingly good.

As for resale, not much market data on this as most owners will prefer to keep them so its not common in the preown market. I guess it probably sells like most indies do, which is not great. But then, I won't really be selling one if I own one.
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the great pics. BTW, I totally dig your pancakes!
Old 10 May 2021, 01:23 AM   #10
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Definitely a dream watch. I love the design and like another poster pointed out, the quality does not really get any better.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:31 AM   #11
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Athens,

First, congratulations again on your RG!

Yes, if I end up getting ta RG, I would like to get it straight from the maker but still working on my research. The design language speaks to me directly and can superficially see the amazing work from pictures. I'd love to see the company in action and get more specifics on time per watch, tools, etc. Size is a lot of consideration which I am taking seriously. As much as I love the concept of the Logical One, the thickness and overall look seems too large for me, plus, cost shares a factor too.

I am drown to the Micro Rotor, especially Ref MON00330 but see these masterpieces are "10 piece limited edition." Good grief! Perhaps I am already too late.

Thanks for also addressing the company financial stability. I also hear that Chanel bought a part of them. That does seem to add further stability to the brand. While I am not trying to get an RG to double in value, I do wish for a watch that could potentially keep half its value and more importantly, remain serviceable by someone. All the watch parts seem traditional even though those S screws will require someone with the right tools to open the case.

Again, just lovely and will continue to work on my research.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:20 AM   #12
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Titanium Insight micro-rotor at Phillips brought $66,500 all in, so 100% of 2020 MSRP for a pre-owned 2015 model. Solid.
Old 10 May 2021, 12:16 PM   #13
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
Titanium Insight micro-rotor at Phillips brought $66,500 all in, so 100% of 2020 MSRP for a pre-owned 2015 model. Solid.
Yes, except that's one instance and we all know auctions these days are often inflated pricing.

On the open market, they aren't generally as solid as what we saw at this auction. (Unfortunately, because his work is solid.)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 10:48 PM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This Insight Micro-Rotor is a piece unique that has a satin green dial. I really like it. The newly uploaded video has macro shots of those sharp cuts on the thick anglage. It's very therapeutic to watch and hope you like this too

Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 11:07 PM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed that - thx!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:00 AM   #16
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I enjoyed that - thx!
My pleasure

Here are 2 screenshots of the Insight Micro-Rotor taken from the video for those who have no time to watch it:

IMG_20230129_215809_(1250_x_650_pixel).jpg

IMG_20230129_215821_(1250_x_650_pixel).jpg
Old 31 January 2023, 02:23 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseATX View Post
Personal haven’t owned one but they trade below MSRP usually - a deal to be had there.

I’m a huge fan of the look of the logical one with the gold dial.

The only problem is that FPJ CO has a waitlist which is quite long and the Logical One is still available at some ADs as recently as end of last year.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:31 PM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
The only problem is that FPJ CO has a waitlist which is quite long and the Logical One is still available at some ADs as recently as end of last year.
RG is way way underrated. Their finishing is up there with the very best in horology but in my opinion, their marketing or lack of is an issue. It's such a travesty because he put so much effort in making every watch. He should really get into people's face more and/or play the influencing part better.
Old 2 March 2023, 10:56 AM   #19
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Romain Gauthier and @MJaber came to town yesterday to meet up with some regional collectors. It was a great event and I had a lot of fun chatting directly with the founder himself and fellow enthusiasts.

Some watch pics below.

Logical One and Insight Micro-Rotor
IMG_20230302_084954_(770_x_1000_pixel).jpg

MJaber's fabulous platinum Insight Micro-Rotor
IMG_20230302_085019_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Continuum bracelet
IMG_20230302_085041_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Old 2 March 2023, 01:52 PM   #20
llngoc
"TRF" Member

It seems like RG have picked up popularity in Asia outside its original base of Japan. Maybe that's why the Asian dealer who was supposed to get me a Logical One Final Edition "disappeared". She even inquired what did I prefer for the serial number, then silence.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 06:33 AM   #21
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Romain Gauthier and @MJaber came to town yesterday to meet up with some regional collectors. It was a great event and I had a lot of fun chatting directly with the founder himself and fellow enthusiasts.

Some watch pics below.

Logical One and Insight Micro-Rotor
Attachment 1351737

MJaber's fabulous platinum Insight Micro-Rotor
Attachment 1351738

Continuum bracelet
Attachment 1351739

Oh wow! That is amazing… anything from meeting the MAN that struck you? Would love to get more details on the meet up. Agree with you now. RG is an amazing brand to get into. I’m excited about my collecting future with him.
Old 3 March 2023, 12:07 PM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Oh wow! That is amazing… anything from meeting the MAN that struck you? Would love to get more details on the meet up. Agree with you now. RG is an amazing brand to get into. I’m excited about my collecting future with him.
I already admire and respect Romain Gauthier's work and philosophy before this meet up and in person, he appears warm, genuine and humble. I had a great time speaking with him and hope I can continue our conversations at Geneva later this year. Moe works with Romain and he is very helpful as well. I enjoy their company very much.

Romain has shared some strategic plans including future model lines and distribution plan. I have also seen a video of the new salmon dial Continuum bracelet :) It is almost 95% there and I think we are going to see the end product real soon. I also saw many pics of customized RG and the number of options is almost endless.

It was also lovely we get to handle the Insight Micro-Rotor, Logical One and Continuum at the gathering. Can't wait to receive my own RG!

I'm now a big fan of RG and can't wait to visit him again later in the year to see my work-in-progress Insight Micro-Motor.
Old 3 March 2023, 06:52 PM   #23
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Hi @ap1, here is another pic I took. Not sure if it is useful for you.

IMG_20230303_165137_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg

I recall the bracelet can be "pulled in" closer to the wrist after the integrated lugs. The one below is unsized and hangs very loose. It is not rigid like the AP ones but best to confirm with the AD again.

IMG_20230303_165438_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Old 7 March 2023, 10:34 AM   #24
chet1022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I already admire and respect Romain Gauthier's work and philosophy before this meet up and in person, he appears warm, genuine and humble. I had a great time speaking with him and hope I can continue our conversations at Geneva later this year. Moe works with Romain and he is very helpful as well. I enjoy their company very much.

Romain has shared some strategic plans including future model lines and distribution plan. I have also seen a video of the new salmon dial Continuum bracelet :) It is almost 95% there and I think we are going to see the end product real soon. I also saw many pics of customized RG and the number of options is almost endless.

It was also lovely we get to handle the Insight Micro-Rotor, Logical One and Continuum at the gathering. Can't wait to receive my own RG!

I'm now a big fan of RG and can't wait to visit him again later in the year to see my work-in-progress Insight Micro-Motor.
Would love to know more about the salmon version continuum. Which one of the bracelet C do you think better, grey or salmon? 🙏🏻
chet1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 11:00 AM   #25
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1022 View Post
Would love to know more about the salmon version continuum. Which one of the bracelet C do you think better, grey or salmon? 🙏🏻
I prefer the salmon
Old 7 March 2023, 05:48 PM   #26
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I prefer the salmon
Any word if there will be more strap versions? I have come around to thinking that the black edition 2 is the prettiest of the C.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 06:13 PM   #27
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Any word if there will be more strap versions? I have come around to thinking that the black edition 2 is the prettiest of the C.
There were some conversations on the next Logical and Micro-Rotor but nothing was said on the next strap C
Old 7 March 2023, 10:45 PM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There were some conversations on the next Logical and Micro-Rotor but nothing was said on the next strap C
Thx - accidentally the first edition 2 has showed up on Chrono24 today.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:24 AM   #29
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi @ap1, here is another pic I took. Not sure if it is useful for you.

Attachment 1351987

I recall the bracelet can be "pulled in" closer to the wrist after the integrated lugs. The one below is unsized and hangs very loose. It is not rigid like the AP ones but best to confirm with the AD again.

Attachment 1351988
Looks amazing
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 11:49 PM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

This new video with Romain Gauthier touches on the brand's beginning, watchmaking, finishing and the future of the brand. Enjoy :)