The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 May 2021, 02:06 PM   #1
tjantheman
"TRF" Member

Glashutte Original Sixties Glacier Blue Questions

I would love a little advice from those of you with a little more watch know-how than me.

I’m giving a lot of thought to buying one of the Original Sixties. I’ve tried them both on, the time-only and the chronograph, but I haven’t yet decided which one I want more. So...I’m wondering about a couple of things.

1. Any thoughts on the chronograph’s movement? As I understand it, it’s a basic movement with a chronograph module added on. Does that make it inferior in any way? More fragile? More difficult/expensive to repair if something goes wrong (relative to a chronograph movement that isn’t modular, not relative to a less complicated watch)?

2. Is the water resistance (3 Bars) something to worry about? I’ve read some pretty harsh comments about its WR rating, and honestly the criticism is giving me more pause than I would have had on my own. I have a couple of dive watches if I really want to get a watch wet, and I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t take off the GO before a shower or a swim. But I don’t want to have to worry about my watch if it rains, or if I’m washing the dishes and there’s a blast from the sink faucet. I have a Reverso with a 3-Bar rating too. I’ve never worried about it before, but maybe I’ve been naive.

I’d appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
tjantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:58 AM   #2
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjantheman View Post
I would love a little advice from those of you with a little more watch know-how than me.

I’m giving a lot of thought to buying one of the Original Sixties. I’ve tried them both on, the time-only and the chronograph, but I haven’t yet decided which one I want more. So...I’m wondering about a couple of things.

1. Any thoughts on the chronograph’s movement? As I understand it, it’s a basic movement with a chronograph module added on. Does that make it inferior in any way? More fragile? More difficult/expensive to repair if something goes wrong (relative to a chronograph movement that isn’t modular, not relative to a less complicated watch)?

2. Is the water resistance (3 Bars) something to worry about? I’ve read some pretty harsh comments about its WR rating, and honestly the criticism is giving me more pause than I would have had on my own. I have a couple of dive watches if I really want to get a watch wet, and I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t take off the GO before a shower or a swim. But I don’t want to have to worry about my watch if it rains, or if I’m washing the dishes and there’s a blast from the sink faucet. I have a Reverso with a 3-Bar rating too. I’ve never worried about it before, but maybe I’ve been naive.

I’d appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
Both have the Caliber 39 that is a great inhouse movement that works well. About the 3 bar WR you can feel safe so long you wear it in rain.
The 60's is a dresswatch so normal it's not a watch you have in the shower or swim with.

So if you like the style just go for it, you will not regret it.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:18 AM   #3
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

I just got the glacier blue chrono and love it. Looks better in person.
wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 05:01 AM   #4
tjantheman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
I just got the glacier blue chrono and love it. Looks better in person.
Did you go the AD route, and if so, how much of a discount were you able to wrangle?

I agree: it’s gorgeous in person. I was offered about 12% off, but I’m wondering if I should push for 20%.
Old 10 May 2021, 06:20 AM   #5
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did you go the AD route, and if so, how much of a discount were you able to wrangle?

I agree: it’s gorgeous in person. I was offered about 12% off, but I’m wondering if I should push for 20%.

I think I got 15% off at my AD.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:07 AM   #6
tjantheman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
I think I got 15% off at my AD.
Was that on the model in the display case, or did they get you a fresh one?
Old 10 May 2021, 05:00 PM   #7
wooly
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Was that on the model in the display case, or did they get you a fresh one?

It was a fresh one