The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2021, 04:20 AM   #31
Airkingchnr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfiga View Post
got mine yesterday. lk
Great buy ..what's it like on the wrist.. does it feel nice and weighty . the other thing I like ...is the size a good 42 with not much thickness.. roll on tomorrow for mine
Airkingchnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:38 AM   #32
aka Mac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
got mine yesterday. amazing watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! Great looking timepiece. Quick question that hopefully you can please answer since you now own one and none of the ADs I've spoken to still can give me a clear answer on; Is the dial of the black 226570 matte black like previous black 216570, or is it now glossy black like modern black dial Submariners, GMTs etc.? It's impossible to tell from all the photos I've seen of black 226570 so far.
aka Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:04 AM   #33
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mac View Post
Congrats! Great looking timepiece. Quick question that hopefully you can please answer since you now own one and none of the ADs I've spoken to still can give me a clear answer on; Is the dial of the black 226570 matte black like previous black 216570, or is it now glossy black like modern black dial Submariners, GMTs etc.? It's impossible to tell from all the photos I've seen of black 226570 so far.

I’ve had the previous black exp2 and the new dial seems exactly the same. it’s definitely not matte as the SD4k and actually looks much the same as the subs.

fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:05 AM   #34
ervelo
"TRF" Member

I played with one for a good 30 minutes yesterday. Could not tell the difference between the old one at all
ervelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:28 AM   #35
aka Mac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve had the previous black exp2 and the new dial seems exactly the same. it’s definitely not matte as the SD4k and actually looks much the same as the subs.
Hmmm... well now I'm even more confused (lol) because the black 216570 has a matte black dial, but all modern Submariners have a glossy black dial which looks very different than the 216570's matte black dial.
Old 13 May 2021, 06:37 AM   #36
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervelo View Post
I played with one for a good 30 minutes yesterday. Could not tell the difference between the old one at all
What did you do with the crown for 30 minutes??
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:01 AM   #37
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm... well now I'm even more confused (lol) because the black 216570 has a matte black dial, but all modern Submariners have a glossy black dial which looks very different than the 216570's matte black dial.

it’s very hard to take a picture of the differences. but the sd4k is definitely matte. the 2020 sub and the new exp2 are identical.

fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 08:31 AM   #38
aka Mac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it’s very hard to take a picture of the differences. but the sd4k is definitely matte. the 2020 sub and the new exp2 are identical.
Hi - Yes, the SD4K dial is definitely matte black, but so is the 216570 (in black of course). At least I know for a fact that many of the 216570 dials are matte black since every 216570 I've personally seen is matte, but what I don't know is if ALL black 216570 dials were produced in matte. Maybe the 216570 has been produced both ways, matte and glossy. No idea. Adding to all the confusion is the level of matteness (is that a word? lol). What I mean is every SD43 I've personally seen has a VERY matte black dial, and this is usually able to be seen in photos of SD43s, but while the matte black dials of every 216570 I've personally seen is matte, it's not AS matte as the SD43. On the other hand, every modern Submariner I've personally seen (and own/owned) is distinctively deep gloss black dial, and noticeably right away different than soft matte black dials of 216570s. Many ADs and online video reviews have also referred to the 216570s black dial specifically as 'matte' rather than 'glossy'. Some photos are clearly able to show what I'm talking about in regards to the 216570 dial being soft matte black in contrast to Submariner's deep glossy black, but most photos do not reveal this difference (some better than others of course). Here are some examples. Pay particulate attention to the deep glossy black parts of the phantom hands compared to the softer black of dials in these examples. In fact, that's something that has always bugged me about the 216570, that the black used to create the phantom hands has always been a different sheen than that of the dial directly below it, and as a result lessoning the the phantom effect a bit due to the mismatch. Yes, I'm a super detail guy ;-)

Old 13 May 2021, 08:31 AM   #39
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
Dial on the black is 100% gloss. I just looked at one today.

The blue Sky D on Jub is amazing. Pepsi gmt on oyster is nice.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:22 AM   #40
Wil1981
"TRF" Member

I got mine today.

Wil1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:57 AM   #41
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I didn't consider the changes significant initially. However, now that I see member photos, the changes that were made are more obvious.

I like what they did to the markers on the polar. Not enough to make me want one, though.

The previous black was my preference. Loved the dial, hated the hands (kept me from buying it). Now, hate the dial, love the hands (still don't want it) ... I just can't win.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 01:59 PM   #42
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I really like the newer variants that are posted in here. I recently sold my 216570 for some reason it always bugged me as well as someone had mentioned before the mismatched sheen between the dial and the hands on the black dial. Honestly the matte dial while not bad always looked a bit off to me on that watch. I love the Exp. 2 series overall though, I’ll have to revisit them with the 226570 someday in the future.

Seeing the white dial with the non gloss hands as well is a nice change.
Old 13 May 2021, 02:09 PM   #43
Doood
"TRF" Member

Gloss black dial looks darker. I like it. Didn’t think I would.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:07 PM   #44
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
lol yup
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:33 PM   #45
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
The old Exp 2 had a matte dark brown color (some people even said a orangeish tint to it). I had it for about a year.

As described above, very different matte from the SD43 which I also own.

I personally like the deep gloss black of the subs/GMT so if they changed it to that color that would be awesome!
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:57 PM   #46
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
That’s because it’s 100% the same watch

They didn’t change the case shape
They didn’t change the case thickness
They didn’t change the bracelet
They didn’t change the movement caliber or power reserve
They didn’t change the dial to gloss from matte
They didn’t change ghost hands
They didn’t change the hour marker surround size or coating
They didn’t change luminescent strength
They didn’t change the crystal AR coating
Old 13 May 2021, 08:53 PM   #47
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
[QUOTE=stmoore;11451029]That’s because it’s 100% the same watch

They didn’t change the crystal AR coating[/QUOTE

Joke right??
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:23 PM   #48
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
That’s because it’s 100% the same watch

They didn’t change the crystal AR coating
Haha, exactly why I asked what he was doing with the crown for half an hour.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:26 AM   #49
aka Mac
"TRF" Member

Can anyone here who has laid eyes on both 216570 and 226570 confirm whether or not the dials are the exact same diameter, and the date window/cyclops is in exact same position in relation to outer edge of dial? Reason I ask is there was some speculation about these points due to the change in caliber with overall outside dimensions of case staying the same. Some even said they thought that the date window/cyclops on 226570 appeared to 'float' inwards away from outer edge of dial compared to 216570, but this was just thought going by photos, not eyes-on in person.
Old 14 May 2021, 09:38 AM   #50
myporsche
"TRF" Member

You guys will need a microscope, loupe, calipers, and an investigation team to spot the differences. Yes its different objectively on paper but again a few feet away it looks like the exact same watch, probably even if your holding it in your hand, even an enthusiast would struggle to find out if their holding a new or old one, on the black it should be a little more obvious. The "updates" for this watch where very minor and you can argue it hasn't really improved from the last gen (I like the gloss hands and maximized lumed markings better). Either iteration its a great watch.
Old 14 May 2021, 09:44 AM   #51
jayhawaii22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
You guys will need a microscope, loupe, calipers, and an investigation team to spot the differences. Yes its different objectively on paper but again a few feet away it looks like the exact same watch, probably even if your holding it in your hand, even an enthusiast would struggle to find out if their holding a new or old one, on the black it should be a little more obvious. The "updates" for this watch where very minor and you can argue it hasn't really improved from the last gen (I like the gloss hands and maximized lumed markings better). Either iteration its a great watch.
Which one is "maximized lume" ? the new one? sorry trying to understand. I am debating on trying to get the old one grey market b/c AD doesnt seem too confident I would get the new models any time soon..
jayhawaii22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 09:46 AM   #52
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
But the new watch is measurably better in every way, like the new power reserve and improved lume.All the other numerous improvements are great too. Side by side it’s all very noticeable, glad you agree.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:07 AM   #53
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
But the new watch is measurably better in every way, like the new power reserve and improved lume.All the other numerous improvements are great too. Side by side it’s all very noticeable, glad you agree.
"measurably better in every way"? Aesthetically the watch looks the same at a casual glance and aesthetically it's not "better", it looks almost identical. The new movement is a technical upgrade but the 32xx has some well documented issues.

I don't argue with overanalytical people emotionally attached to spec sheets, because its pointless and I didn't agree it's very noticeable (I sensed your sarcasm) but if it's better for you and you purchased one and want to feel superior and you notice the differences good for you, enjoy your day.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:19 AM   #54
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
"measurably better in every way"? Aesthetically the watch looks the same at a casual glance and aesthetically it's not "better", it looks almost identical. The new movement is a technical upgrade but the 32xx has some well documented issues.

I don't argue with overanalytical people emotionally attached to spec sheets, because its pointless and I didn't agree it's very noticeable (I sensed your sarcasm) but if it's better for you and you purchased one and want to feel superior and you notice the differences good for you, enjoy your day.
I haven’t purchased one but I appreciate the fact that’s it’s an improvement in every way. Each 32xx I own has been great.
I’ve held both in hand and the newer one is better - clearly better lines. It’s the spirit of incremental improvement of rolex. Anyone who enjoys watches can see the difference- I mean we aren't simpletons are we? That would be silly, glad you agree.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:45 PM   #55
Mausbiber
"TRF" Member

Watch: EX2 216570 BD
They made so minor changes that only a RLX Fan will see the Difference. The BD has the hardest Change because of the Hands, the WD looks all the same.

I agree they made some improvements but not that kind that you would sale the 216570 to buy the 226570.

The 216570 BD becomes more collectable then the WD because of the Phantom hands.

It's a soft evolution and that's good better then a hard revolution.

The EX2 is now perfectly balanced.
Mausbiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:37 PM   #56
Ucerveza
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Big congrats
Is the dial matte or glossy?
Ucerveza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 08:33 PM   #57
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

Congrats on all the incomings! Agree that the mixture of glossy and matte hands on the polar is a bit strange.

The changes to the hands of both colors makes it pretty obviously different from the last Gen when looking closely.
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 09:16 PM   #58
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches but the changes will not move me to change out the old model for the new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200105_142425 (002).jpg (199.7 KB, 560 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:01 AM   #59
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My only complaint with the black dial, is that they eliminated the ghost hands. That was my favorite part of the watch
Funny you should say that, my friend. I'm the opposite. I'm actually considering the new one based on that fact alone (IMO, the rest of the changes don't yield enough bang for the buck.)

But it's cool you (and apparently several others) like them.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1981 View Post

I got mine today.

Congrats, guys!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 03:33 AM   #60
aka Mac
"TRF" Member

Regarding matte black dial vs glossy black dial; Here's a decent side-by-side photo of discontinued 216570's matte black dial compared to current 126610LN's glossy black dial.