The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2021, 09:37 AM   #1
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Fixing a small damage to edge of clasp (Daytona)

Hi everyone,

So a while ago, in a totally freak accident kind of a way, which happened right in front of me, my wife dropped her iphone and as she tried to catch the iphone in the air, the iphone landed on her left hand and the unprotected bottom edge of iphone landed vertically on the daytona's clasp, and it dinged the corner edge of the clasp. Well, it is not a smooth ding, it is a sharp cut into the metal, with a bit of the metal sticking out.

Normally for me, this would be a quick file and repair and move on kind of the deal.

But given this watch is a well loved Daytona, my wife's daily, and that the sharp corner rubs against delicate clothing and pulls on threads etc., I kind of need to have it fixed the right way. We have gotten by, by me cutting a piece of scotch tape (very thin and professional if I may say so myself) and covering that edge part of the clasp with it, to avoid the scratching and damaging clothing. Hey, I am an engineer after all and there is nothing that some duct tape can't fix!

I have taken it to the local Rolliworks shop and they have suggested to laser weld it and fix it, but the cost came out to be about $400 ish. Not bad but I wanted to make sure I am not overlooking other options. (and the price was from say a few months ago, that might be different now.)

Of course I also have the option of sending it to RSC and having the service done (not due for one, but it has been a while and perhaps not a bad idea anyway)... but i don't know if Rolex would be able to repair this tiny ding/damage or would they just quote me for a replacement clasp, and if so, what the cost would be.

I will attach a couple of pics to this. Please note: this is a well worn and well loved daytona, so there are plenty of micro scratches everywhere on it. I need to have this specific one fixed though, so no need to suggest I should live with it. I am asking for opinions and options to fix this. Thank you.

Last picture below is just to show the part number etc. for any pricing information that someone might be able to share. Thank you.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:56 AM   #2
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

RSC is very easy to deal with over the phone, so they should be able to give you the definitive answer, but I have this image from a while back. I don't know how current it is (or how to interpret it), but it's something.

RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:02 AM   #3
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Do not send it to RSC USA UNLESS you can have the executive office affirm that they will laserweld instead of polish and refinish. Dallas NY they have the machine.

They will likely say they need it in their hand in order to assess and the polisher will do whatever he or she best sees fit.

So you may be better off sending it to somewhere like LAWW, tell them not to do anything or touch anything other than that section of the clasp.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:29 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

$400 dollar to fix that sounds really high IMHO; perhaps there are other options available like LAWW, Rikki, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:16 AM   #5
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
RSC is very easy to deal with over the phone, so they should be able to give you the definitive answer, but I have this image from a while back. I don't know how current it is (or how to interpret it), but it's something.

Thank you. That is quite something, shows various parts might be available stand alone. That would be great. So thank you for sharing this. Really appreciate it regardless of whether it is applicable or current or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Do not send it to RSC USA UNLESS you can have the executive office affirm that they will laserweld instead of polish and refinish. Dallas NY they have the machine.

They will likely say they need it in their hand in order to assess and the polisher will do whatever he or she best sees fit.

So you may be better off sending it to somewhere like LAWW, tell them not to do anything or touch anything other than that section of the clasp.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Good info you shared. Was considering LAWW as an option too ( seen some of their work on Instagram as well ).

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 11:26 AM   #7
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
$400 dollar to fix that sounds really high IMHO; perhaps there are other options available like LAWW, Rikki, etc.

Thanks bud for the reply. To be fair, and to not misquote or misrepresent Rolliworks, I think - if I remember correctly - $400 included an overall polish as well, to being the rest of the watch to match the clasp that would have to be polished as part of the work. ( weld, polish the clasp, then rest of the watch doesn’t match so polish the rest of the watch , etc. )

I am actually wanting to send the watch to RSC for a maintenance anyway, reason for choosing RSC being mostly the warranty card. bought this watch with no papers from DavidSW a long time ago so kind of was thinking of doing the RSC thing for the warranty card etc.

So worry was about going with a fix outside of RSC which could cause problems later on ( repaired clasp, no longer authentic , etc ) vs. say a $400 (?) clasp replacement with RSC. And paying a little more but keeping the watch all original and such.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 11:46 AM   #8
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
That’s not going to be a difficult fix for RSC or any other of the competent watchmakers that were mentioned here. Have it polished up and enjoy it for decades to come.

rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:16 PM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Thanks bud for the reply. To be fair, and to not misquote or misrepresent Rolliworks, I think - if I remember correctly - $400 included an overall polish as well, to being the rest of the watch to match the clasp that would have to be polished as part of the work. ( weld, polish the clasp, then rest of the watch doesn’t match so polish the rest of the watch , etc. )

I am actually wanting to send the watch to RSC for a maintenance anyway, reason for choosing RSC being mostly the warranty card. bought this watch with no papers from DavidSW a long time ago so kind of was thinking of doing the RSC thing for the warranty card etc.

So worry was about going with a fix outside of RSC which could cause problems later on ( repaired clasp, no longer authentic , etc ) vs. say a $400 (?) clasp replacement with RSC. And paying a little more but keeping the watch all original and such.

Seems like RSC is the right path then Faz !

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:35 PM   #10
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I would personally send something like this to LAWW in a heartbeat (or Rolliworks, although my own experience is with LAWW), as they are both extremely competent in cosmetic refinishing, and you are going to have a more direct line with the person doing the actual work. This is what they specialize in. It might not be the cheapest option but it will yield excellent results on the watch that is extremely important to you.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:38 PM   #11
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
If you are in the bay area then Rolliworks is the answer, they are located in Campbell, CA and I believe this would be an easy fix for them. They would laser weld and refinish back to original. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding their work and they specialize in bracelet repair and refurbish. Good luck! https://www.rolliworks.com/ they do amazing work with bracelets.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 12:40 PM   #12
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
I would personally send something like this to LAWW in a heartbeat (or Rolliworks, although my own experience is with LAWW), as they are both extremely competent in cosmetic refinishing, and you are going to have a more direct line with the person doing the actual work. This is what they specialize in. It might not be the cheapest option but it will yield excellent results on the watch that is extremely important to you.
This! What you pay may not be as important to you in the long run as the quality of the repair. Good luck!
Old 12 May 2021, 01:15 PM   #13
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Thank you. That is quite something, shows various parts might be available stand alone. That would be great. So thank you for sharing this. Really appreciate it regardless of whether it is applicable or current or not.

Actually you have a 78490 clasp and his chart was the newer 78590 clasp.

You could opt for it since the blade hinges are better imho but you’d pay more than just having it laser welded.

In the meantime your wife can just apply a thin dab of clear nail polish- maybe 2 or 3 applications. It’ll fill the sharp edge until you replace or laser weld it.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 05:53 PM   #14
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post

Thank you. Great to hear more positive feedback about LAWW).

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 05:56 PM   #15
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
If you are in the bay area then Rolliworks is the answer, they are located in Campbell, CA and I believe this would be an easy fix for them. They would laser weld and refinish back to original. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding their work and they specialize in bracelet repair and refurbish. Good luck! https://www.rolliworks.com/ they do amazing work with bracelets.

Thanks. I am in the Bay Area and know their location. Great to hear more positive feedback in them too. Was mostly wondering and wanted to see what others would do in this scenario. Also since I didn’t ( still don’t) know how much a clasp would cost from Rolex ( as part of a service), didn’t want to go spend money on repairing the clasp If a new one would cost within a reasonable difference.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 05:56 PM   #16
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
This! What you pay may not be as important to you in the long run as the quality of the repair. Good luck!

I agree completely. Thanks.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 05:58 PM   #17
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Actually you have a 78490 clasp and his chart was the newer 78590 clasp.

You could opt for it since the blade hinges are better imho but you’d pay more than just having it laser welded.

In the meantime your wife can just apply a thin dab of clear nail polish- maybe 2 or 3 applications. It’ll fill the sharp edge until you replace or laser weld it.

Thanks for sharing info on the difference. Great suggestion with the clear mail polish too.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 12 May 2021, 07:32 PM   #18
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That will polish out quite nicely at the RSC.
You will not be able to see with the naked eye. I had a clasped with similar damage and came back looking new without any welding.

Just make sure they don’t polish the crown on the clasp.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:14 PM   #19
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
RSC is definitely more than capable enough to restore that clasp, however, they would likely insist on a full service / overhaul done along with the refinishing due to the age of your watch.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:53 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Speaking for myself that ding is so miniscule would wait till next full RSC service and sort it out then, and no way would I spend $400 to have that tiny ding fixed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:58 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Hope you get it sorted Faz

That’s a heck of a ding ... what’s the IPhone look like?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:07 PM   #22
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Plenty of good options listed. I would send it in to Rolex and have a complete service and repair. It will be costly but so is a Daytona. You will get the service papers and all will be good.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:08 PM   #23
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Plenty of good options listed. I would send it in to Rolex and have a complete service and repair. It will be costly but so is a Daytona. You will get the service papers and all will be good.
As would I. Good luck OP.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:48 PM   #24
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
speaking for myself that ding is so miniscule would wait till next full rsc service and sort it out then, and no way would i spend $400 to have that tiny ding fixed.
+1
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:53 PM   #25
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I’d take a super fine diamond file / rod and knock the burr down and be done with it till service, and then have it polished.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:41 PM   #26
77T
2024 Pledge Member

A thin ceramic rod (like the ones used for honing a fine knife) can knock back the burr - but you do run the risk of making things worse. Not a DIY.

If you want to do that, any bench jeweler would likely do it gratis while you’re shopping for the next baubles for your wife.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:19 AM   #27
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That will polish out quite nicely at the RSC.

You will not be able to see with the naked eye. I had a clasped with similar damage and came back looking new without any welding.

Just make sure they don’t polish the crown on the clasp.

Thanks. Good to know RSC can polish and fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

It is almost time for a full service anyway. Cost of maintenance is ok relative to the value of the watch these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
As would I. Good luck OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A thin ceramic rod (like the ones used for honing a fine knife) can knock back the burr - but you do run the risk of making things worse. Not a DIY.

If you want to do that, any bench jeweler would likely do it gratis while you’re shopping for the next baubles for your wife.

Yes that would be something I would do in a heartbeat if it were any of my watches. This being the wife’s watch, and with the Daytona being so valuable these days, won’t try a diy on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Speaking for myself that ding is so miniscule would wait till next full RSC service and sort it out then, and no way would I spend $400 to have that tiny ding fixed.

Always appreciate your feedback, you are always the voice of reason. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekota View Post
RSC is definitely more than capable enough to restore that clasp, however, they would likely insist on a full service / overhaul done along with the refinishing due to the age of your watch.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Hope you get it sorted Faz

That’s a heck of a ding ... what’s the IPhone look like?

It was so stupid I would not have believed it if it didn’t happen right in front of me. iPhone X, looked pretty good afterwards. It was like 8 inches of drop before landing on the clasp. Just a freak situation all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
I’d take a super fine diamond file / rod and knock the burr down and be done with it till service, and then have it polished.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 13 May 2021, 12:23 AM   #28
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I think you'll get more dinks, esp on clasp. May as well wait?

I find it liberating once its got past the clinical new from factory took.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 02:14 AM   #29
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I think you'll get more dinks, esp on clasp. May as well wait?

I find it liberating once its got past the clinical new from factory took.

Thanks. This watch is way past its fresh from factory look. It is well loved ( read beat up and worn daily) and subject to loving abuse beyond what most on this forum will subject their beloved Daytona to so this is definitely not a case of trying to keep this watch pristine condition. The chip has made a sharp edge that given its location catches on clothes and has to be dealt with.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 13 May 2021, 02:38 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it sticks up too much, I would tap it down then hit it with a fine file.

It's not worth 400 bucks to repair something that will get a lot of knocks and scrapes going forward.