The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #1
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Is this a bargain? Can't find this watch on Chrono 24 - Piaget

Saw this watch today, no box or papers but looks real enough certainly from the movement and weight of the watch.

Discontinued altho the retail apparently was US$34,000 and I negotiated the price from $16k to $13k. Part of the Emperador black tie range, is this a bargain that I shouldn't miss? I am looking for a dress watch for work, don't have a grey dial but I do have a Piaget already the black dial Polo 45
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resizer_16032873517561.jpg (139.2 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Resizer_16032873517560.jpg (165.8 KB, 422 views)
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:51 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Seems like a cool piece - regulator and power reserve with an exhibition case back. I imagine resale is very tough due to limited production and consumer interest - so even at $13k it may not be easy to get out of - Piaget doesn't have the same rep in the watch world they once carried.

Are there not a lot of worth competitors in the $13k range? Blancpain, Breguet, Lange, etc...
Old 23 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #3
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Seems like a cool piece - regulator and power reserve with an exhibition case back. I imagine resale is very tough due to limited production and consumer interest - so even at $13k it may not be easy to get out of - Piaget doesn't have the same rep in the watch world they once carried.

Are there not a lot of worth competitors in the $13k range? Blancpain, Breguet, Lange, etc...
Thanks mate, I agree. I tried Lange but not so keen on the entry level ones and the others are not out of my budget but I don't wanna spend so much on a dress watch when it's mainly for work / evening going out.

I tried to get it down even more, just over US$10k but I saw it was sold in an auction for just over US$8k a year ago. And that was with box & papers. Not int in Blanc or Breguet atm, potentially Roger Dubuis / Jacob
Old 23 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #4
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
If you're a WIS that can afford a nice timepiece like that, buy it. You won't regret. Quality manufacture and the model is funky. I like. Not sure if I'd drop $16K on it, but $10-11K is doable.
Old 23 October 2020, 01:46 AM   #5
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Thanks mate, I agree. I tried Lange but not so keen on the entry level ones and the others are not out of my budget but I don't wanna spend so much on a dress watch when it's mainly for work / evening going out.

I tried to get it down even more, just over US$10k but I saw it was sold in an auction for just over US$8k a year ago. And that was with box & papers. Not int in Blanc or Breguet atm, potentially Roger Dubuis / Jacob
Whatever speaks to you - I always say you'll know it once you put it on the wrist. Best of luck and please do post more pics if you decide to move forward with the purchase.
Old 23 October 2020, 01:50 AM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

You will lose your shirt if you ever want to sell it. For that kind of money I'd look at moser or breguet or similar.
Old 23 October 2020, 01:50 AM   #7
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Very nice. But know ahead of time, it will be difficult to move should you want to later (no papers but plus a lot of competition in that range for more “hot” brands). So be sure you love it! It is very nice though!
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 03:06 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’m far from being in tune with the Piaget line so not sure if this carries a lot of significance in its catalogue. As a watch enthusiast: Ilike it! I think getting it at 10 would be great and I would say that’s a sweet deal. They said I personally wouldn’t be interested myself at that range.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 05:08 AM   #9
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

Controversial recommendation: what about AP Millenary at that price point / style?
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 10:07 AM   #10
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, it seems that indeed my watch dealer friends wouldn't even give me a price on it if I did decide to sell it later. And on Chrono there's the other Emperador with 2nd timezone but at least 20k used, no guarantee I can move it and not lose a whole as well.

So lesson learned - on this watch it seems whatever I spend on it, I'll most probably have to sell it privately and then potentially take a big hit

@amateurc - I'm not keen on the AP dress watches tbh, the design or how it looks on the wrist but thanks for the suggestion

I do like the cushion/toruneau shape tho, my other option is to get a 42mm hublot spirit of big bang all black - but I guess I'll prob just wear to the office once a week then on weekends, so this would be a watch I really like, will take somewhat of a hit if sold but has limited wearability
Old 25 October 2020, 12:18 PM   #11
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Well I went back into the shop to negotiate, the lowest they'd go to is USD10k, I think I'll pass ok this one and consider other dress watches
Old 25 October 2020, 01:27 PM   #12
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
They are clearly desperate to offload this piece just like you would be in 6 months had you made the mistake of purchasing. Nice bullet dodged.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 02:08 AM   #13
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanamus View Post
They are clearly desperate to offload this piece just like you would be in 6 months had you made the mistake of purchasing. Nice bullet dodged.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Don't think they're desperate at all. But this is a Ltd watch and not even 1 listed on Chrono 24 so in 1 sense they don't know how much to price it for
Old 29 October 2020, 04:11 AM   #14
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Well I went back into the shop to negotiate, the lowest they'd go to is USD10k, I think I'll pass ok this one and consider other dress watches
I think it's a good move to pass - just my humble opinion. If you love it you can always go back to it.