The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2020, 07:07 AM   #61
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

honestly i would have never use chrono24 and certainly will still stay away from them. who wants to pay more in taxes? no one!
Old 22 October 2020, 07:13 AM   #62
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
X2

No "real dealer" will be able to avoid charging sales tax in a few years.

One of the problems and root of the confusion at present is that there are over 11,000 different sales taxing districts in the United States.
And within those sales tax districts you may have to remit taxes to a state, a county, a town, and a school district.

eBay and Amazon may have the money to program all their taxing districts into the pricing but most small companies will not have that capability.
And as far as I know no one's peddling software with that information.
So, I am not surprised that chrono24 has already adjusted their sales tax. I assume they're just trying to hit the average that they have to pay themselves.
Alevera, TaxJar etc... and a few other eCommerce players do it. I am really not sure how to approach tax with a marketplace though vs straight vendor/buyer.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:27 AM   #63
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
as someone who used to run a brick and mortar I 100% support the tax. i mean, even with it, there is still no chance for a brick and mortar to compete with online sales.
it's easy math when thinking about the cost of business. storefronts really need to find their value in this day and age. it's a natural evolution of ecommerce and globalization

but hey as consumers of course we all want the best deal right ? i mean look at 90% (random guess) of products we buy. all sourced/bought overseas by cheap, non-union, slave-labor wages. do we all love it, pretty much yes.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:31 AM   #64
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
honestly i would have never use chrono24 and certainly will still stay away from them. who wants to pay more in taxes? no one!
Can you elaborate on what you mean here, I’ve bought loads of watches off of there. I would not buy from USA and the import tax is around 30 per cent into the UK so obviously it’s not worthwhile.

What taxes exactly are you talking about?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:03 AM   #65
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean here, I’ve bought loads of watches off of there. I would not buy from USA and the import tax is around 30 per cent into the UK so obviously it’s not worthwhile.

There are now buyers fees aka buyers premiums...

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:46 AM   #66
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:

well for starters sales tax. when buying a $30k plus watch depending on the state sales tax will be over a grand. i just think it is stupid when you can buy from other sellers and not pay interstate sales tax. plus if you buy it from outside your country, have to pay important tax. maybe i misunderstood the 7.5% tax but as soon as i heard that, was thinking oh man. and no disrespect to chrono 24, i know they have some reputable sellers on there but why use them if you can buy from the seller and not have them in the middle.
Old 22 October 2020, 12:29 PM   #67
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

RIP Chrono24

Is not chrono24,
Is the Greedy politicians creating phantom laws to make you pay taxes on a 60 year old watch. Is absurd.

Btw. I just purchased for almost $1k a vacheron dial from chrono24. Sometimes you have to pay to play.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:16 PM   #68
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
I am surprised they have lasted this long. I have advertised on Chrono24 once, never again.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 03:48 AM   #69
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo View Post
I am surprised they have lasted this long. I have advertised on Chrono24 once, never again.
I guess they mainly operate within the EU. The tax mentioned in this thread only applies to US customers.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 05:25 AM   #70
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
There are now buyers fees aka buyers premiums...
Wow really I haven’t bought one from there since the beginning of the year.
Old 23 October 2020, 05:27 AM   #71
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
well for starters sales tax. when buying a $30k plus watch depending on the state sales tax will be over a grand. i just think it is stupid when you can buy from other sellers and not pay interstate sales tax. plus if you buy it from outside your country, have to pay important tax. maybe i misunderstood the 7.5% tax but as soon as i heard that, was thinking oh man. and no disrespect to chrono 24, i know they have some reputable sellers on there but why use them if you can buy from the seller and not have them in the middle.
I wonder if this applies to the UK. We don’t have sales tax the price give is the price with all tax included.

Haven’t heard about this 7.5 per cent fee though, so that applies to all buyers on every transaction on top of the listed price?
Old 24 October 2020, 01:19 AM   #72
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Watch sales are increasing at the moment and they want more of the action. I use Chronos24 as a reference for asking prices.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 05:33 PM   #73
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
I wonder if this applies to the UK. We don’t have sales tax the price give is the price with all tax included.

Haven’t heard about this 7.5 per cent fee though, so that applies to all buyers on every transaction on top of the listed price?
"we have decided to implement a 7.5% sales fee for buyers in the United States"

Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 08:52 PM   #74
Andygeol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit-see Avatar
Chrono24 isn't just for the US !

It may come as a surprise to many members but C24 has many customers outside the US

I never buy anything from the US (watches or anything else) there so many additional taxes plus import duty that they are not worth the hassle.

Within Europe, only shipping, that's it.
Because C24 has the largest number of watches in any one sight, it is very useful for comparisons and valuations.

Obviously never buy from a dealer that doesn't actually have the watch - 'bait and switch'
Andygeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 09:23 PM   #75
Goin2drt
Banned

I like how they use the word temporary. I got a bottle of bourbon the taxes remain indefinitely.

I do a decent e-commerce business on eBay of stuff completely different than watches and they are no better. They forced us to managed payments away from PayPal saving they will save us some money. After literally one month my fees with eBay are now more than they were when we had eBay and PayPal. These e-commerce sites are making it difficult to sell anything if you are an outsider and this includes Amazon and Walmart.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 09:43 PM   #76
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Personally, I'm all for properly paying taxes owed. Otherwise we drive smaller businesses with brick and mortar stores out of business as they must (or should in most locales) charge tax.

As for Chrono24 specifically, I only use it to help establish market prices,

If I want to buy a watch I contact a dozen or so people I've done business with before and negotiate a deal, usually at a good price using bank wire transfer. Never a problem.

For sales, I make the same contacts or use eBay, which I have always found works well, especially with the new authentication system in place.

In either case, I pay the taxes due - either in the sellers invoice or if a buyer in my year end taxes.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 11:50 PM   #77
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
as someone who used to run a brick and mortar I 100% support the tax. i mean, even with it, there is still no chance for a brick and mortar to compete with online sales.
it's easy math when thinking about the cost of business. storefronts really need to find their value in this day and age. it's a natural evolution of ecommerce and globalization

but hey as consumers of course we all want the best deal right ? i mean look at 90% (random guess) of products we buy. all sourced/bought overseas by cheap, non-union, slave-labor wages. do we all love it, pretty much yes.
+1 I don’t want brick and mortar stores going out of business either.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:34 AM   #78
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Is not chrono24,
Is the Greedy politicians creating phantom laws to make you pay taxes on a 60 year old watch. Is absurd.

Btw. I just purchased for almost $1k a vacheron dial from chrono24. Sometimes you have to pay to play.
The sales tax is levied on retail sales in the states which have the tax. If you buy something for example in an antique store, you will be charged the applicable sales tax on the purchase. So the fact a watch is old is really of no relevance in connection with the sales tax.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 08:54 AM   #79
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
"we have decided to implement a 7.5% sales fee for buyers in the United States"

Ah thank you.