The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 August 2013, 05:48 AM   #1
turtlehead69

Steinhart

How do they get away with it?

Really - this has puzzled me for a while now.

On a different forum they rave on and on about their watches. Last year it was the snowflake Tudor rip off, before that it was the sub green rip off and now it's the Tudor heritage rip off.

It seems their design team put a Rolex/Tudor picture into photoshop, delete the brand name and type Steinhart, look at each other and say "We've done it again boys, there's no limits to our lack of creativity" and send it off to their makers.

Why haven't Rolex demanded knee caps?

Rant over......
turtlehead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 06:03 AM   #2
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
This is more of a general discussion topic or a non-Rolex topic but since you asked, Steinhart is just like many other low to mid range homage watch assemblers. They brush up against the copy line, they just don't cross over it into the counterfeit territory.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 06:18 AM   #3
KBM

I'm fine with Steinhart. my Sub isn't any less special because there are brands issuing similar watches. Perhaps it is most annoying to those who like to believe they are in something of an exclusive club because of a watch. If a design is nice and expensive, it is bound to be copied to fill demand in lower price points.

I also think it would be unfair to defend that anyone wanting to wear a milsub would need to pay 100k.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Doesn't bother me one bit.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 06:35 AM   #5
adzman808
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I've no issues with homages, the thing i dont get with steinhart is the incessant good reviews, there are far better made sub homages, but steinhart are worldwide forum darlings

In general homages make great holiday watches and are a good way for newbies to 'try before they truly buy'

I loved my homage sub, only sold when i got the rolex version!
adzman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
I've no issues with homages, the thing i dont get with steinhart is the incessant good reviews, there are far better made sub homages, but steinhart are worldwide forum darlings
I've had a Steinhart Ocean side by side with my Submariner and the two are pretty comparable in terms of quality.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
I am fine with them also. Steinhart, alpha, ect, are a great way to build a collection up for pennies on the dollar. I am in the process of adding 2 alpha's for the sole reason of trying before I go buying. its one thing to look at a picture of a watch and say you like it, its another to have it and get a feel for it via some wrist time.

for example, I am a really big fan of a pepsi gmt, i've seen a million pictures, but never ever got to actually try one on. by buying an homage, I can add to the collection, and figure out a game plan on if spending 5k+ on a wrist watch I like really speaks to me.
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2013, 07:28 AM   #8
And
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Making an homage is a compliment. They also make some good looking original designs. I like them.
And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Steinhart homages do not bother me at all, but I have often wondered how they get away with it too.
Rolex seem to be pitbulls over any little perceived copy right violation.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Dreich9999
"TRF" Member

Homages are no problem to me as I have a few and they do not intend to fool anyone. , The Replica/Fake that blatantly copy in great deal a more expensive watch really bothers me , I am in the motor trade and I see dealers with fake Rolex all the time (no pun intended) so much so they think my LV Sub is a fake , I don't argue as I know my watch is Genuine.
They seem to think fake watches makes them special.
Dreich9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Zodiac Seawolf
The blatant knockoffs and homages like Steinhart and Invicta are the reason I stopped wearing my Sub, got tired of people constantly noticing the watch and asking me if it was a "Real" Rolex.

The Sub look with the Mercedes hands has gotten passé looking.

If I was in the market for a solid boutique diver that wasn't a Submariner look al like, I would get a Christopher Ward C60, no mistaking that as a Rolex, and a fine watch for it's price point.

Charles Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I have no problem with Steinhart. For the money you get a quality ETA movement, a quality bracelet and the look of a submariner for thousands less. Some people can't afford to pay $6000 for a Submariner but like the look so Steinhart works for them. BTW their Ocean 1 is 42mm. I'd like to pick one up myself but they're always sold out so that says something good about them.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 01:11 AM   #13
turtlehead69

Though I like the design of the C60. We all know what it's trying to be, I have serious doubts about the quality of CW watches. This is from my own experience anyway.
turtlehead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2013, 02:38 PM   #14
TheButcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 & 16570
I bought a Steinhart and wore it a couple times before selling it. it didn't feel right and was heavy. My sub is far more comfortable to wear.....there is nothing spectacular about steinhart although some of their original designs are nice
TheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote