The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15 November 2013, 07:07 AM   #1
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
Bremont pre-sale service a disgrace

Hey everyone I’d like to share my very poor experience with a Bremont AD and the Bremont company.

After deciding to seriously consider Bremont as my next watch, I went into Australia’s only AD, Gregory Jewelers to take a look at the Supermarine line. I was very excited by the great service I received and went home to think it over as some of you may know from my other post, considering between the S500 and S2000. After some consideration I chose the S2000 as my preferred watch, and negotiated a price that was within my budget. At the store and on the phone, I was told ‘very specifically’ that the deal would include a bracelet. This was important to me because I always wear them with every watch I buy. They told me that the bracelet wasn’t in stock, but I’d receive it within a couple of weeks, along with a leather strap and a shorter rubber strap. So I handed my digits over the phone and put down my deposit.

The following week I went back to the store to collect the watch but it had a misaligned bezel, so they instructed me that it would take another few weeks to get in another sample for me. I told them I needed to think about it because seeing the sample with the bezel issue was a slight turn off for me. The store requested that if I was to go ahead they'd need me to pay up to 50% of the watch because they had to order it from England, so I went over the deal again, and when I mentioned the bracelet, the dealer had a strange look on his face and said ‘yeah yeah, all good’. Something just didn’t feel right. So I went home and the following day and emailed them. I wanted them to confirm in writing what they had confirmed all along verbally. Their reply was that with the discount I was receiving they ‘could NOT’ include the bracelet! I knew it, I knew it. Something felt fishy when I was in store, and I replied back saying that if that's the way they were going to do business, I would not go ahead, and I asked them to refund my deposit. The store’s reply was

“It is very surprising and disappointing to hear you do not wish to proceed the purchase.

As the Bremont Representative & I have pursued your every request above & beyond what is normally practised in a daily sale & after sales assistance on your behalf.

As you did place a deposit down on the watch on your own accord, you are bound by the conditions of the sale.

Our usual company policy would be forfeiting the deposit as everything you have requested, where possible, we have complied".

You could imagine how insulted I felt considering they knew they were in the wrong, so I cc’d Bremont, as well as the Australian contact I had. Bremont replied (never heard from the local contact), firstly, and understandably in defense of their dealer, then offered to sell to me directly. I then replied back thanking them for their offer and asked at what price they would sell to me. They replied back at $1000 more than quoted by the store (without the bracelet). I replied letting them know their price was over $1000 more, then their last reply was that they couldn't do anything about that. "Unfortunately, it would not be possible to discount" - this is after they knew exactly the price I was offered by the AD.

…..so it was certainly clear they were playing games with me and this kind of business is not one that wins over any customer. It’s unprofessional and quite disgusting. I’m not saying their products aren’t great but after hearing about their great after-sales service I am absolutely disgusted in their lack of understanding, their plain rudeness, and poor effort to ensure their customers, or potential customers have a positive experience.

They have obviously labeled me as a difficult customer, all because I wanted what I was promised and committed to by laying down my deposit. I was even prepared to buy the watch at the price agreed without the bracelet as they were showing they really wanted my business. I had no reason to make any of this up and all this happened because the dealer decided to change the deal. I can’t imagine the story I’d be telling if I purchased that watch, and sat around waiting for a bracelet that never came.

So what does this make me? A disgruntled customer who didn't get what he wanted? NO. I am a disgruntled customer who didn't get what he was promised. Therefor it is my recommendation that customers seriously consider what has happened here before making a Bremont purchase.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:19 AM   #2
111forza
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your problem with Bremont. See if its possible to contact either Nick or Giles direct from what i've seen and heard about them i would be sure they could resolve this issue for you
Old 15 November 2013, 07:21 AM   #3
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have two Bremont's...all was very smooth so sorry to hear...although shortly after getting my LE U2...part of the black came off the PVD coating which really pissed me off.

My P51 has been great though.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
leicashot
"TRF" Member

I considered going higher but my pride is stopping me. How far should a customer have to go to get the watch they want? How much poor service should I take before calling it off?

I can tell you, the fact I even still considered buying Bremont after what the AD did was a miracle, yet they threw it back in my face by INCREASING the price! I just couldn't believe it.
Old 15 November 2013, 08:11 AM   #5
111forza
"TRF" Member

Forget the pride thing if your not happy i would go for it these guys do really seem to have a passion for their company. I'm told they are always attending AD events to push the brand forward so i'm sure they would be interested to hear of any customer problems. Go for it
Old 15 November 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Not a nice outcome.
I have a feeling the AD offered you something in order to close the sale that then turned out not to be possible. Rather than apologising, offering a decent alternative and explanation, and doing the right thing they have acted like a brat. Probably embarrassed that they couldn't come through in what they promised ( maybe they were told that should not sell for that price and will not be getting a bracelet?)
When bremont offered you the watch at $1000 more ... Where was that from? US or UK? That may be to do with the fact the AUD has weakened some 10% in recent months and that makes it more expensive for all In Aus buy... And they ain't going to put the AUD prices down:)

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 15 November 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111forza View Post
Forget the pride thing if your not happy i would go for it these guys do really seem to have a passion for their company. I'm told they are always attending AD events to push the brand forward so i'm sure they would be interested to hear of any customer problems. Go for it
yes the owner's commitment to their brand is one of the attracting factors, but for all I know the person I was dealing with is the wife of one of them, and there is no way I'm paying them $1000 more to buy direct, when it was them who approved the first discounted price, even without the bracelet.

That price increase was a direct insult to me as they were obviously not wanting my business.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Not a nice outcome.
I have a feeling the AD offered you something in order to close the sale that then turned out not to be possible. Rather than apologising, offering a decent alternative and explanation, and doing the right thing they have acted like a brat. Probably embarrassed that they couldn't come through in what they promised ( maybe they were told that should not sell for that price and will not be getting a bracelet?)
When bremont offered you the watch at $1000 more ... Where was that from? US or UK? That may be to do with the fact the AUD has weakened some 10% in recent months and that makes it more expensive for all In Aus buy... And they ain't going to put the AUD prices down:)
Yes the AD should have said to me it wasn't possible earlier and I would have understood. Their followup email as you see was outright patronizing and rude.

I assume I'm dealing with the UK, and by the time it landed, and I was taxed, I'd be up for more than $1500 over what was originally agreed. This is just very unprofessional and almost like punishment for not going ahead with the original deal.
Old 15 November 2013, 03:28 PM   #9
wstcstcmtr
"TRF" Member

I don't understand how they can take a deposit for a watch that arrived defective and then refuse to give you a refund.

There is not way that's legal.
Old 15 November 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstcstcmtr View Post
I don't understand how they can take a deposit for a watch that arrived defective and then refuse to give you a refund.

There is not way that's legal.
They did give the refund in the end but they made a big deal out of it as you saw from the quote I posted. the fact that Bremont supported them, then tried to sound all sweet by offering to sell directly, then quoting me full retail was a slap in the face.
Old 15 November 2013, 05:37 PM   #11
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Well, the silver lining is that you're a free agent again. Why not buy a nice pre-loved example and pocket the extra? Bremont takes a pretty big hit in the second hand market. They are nice watches though. The 2 examples I've held were solid machines.
Old 15 November 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Well, the silver lining is that you're a free agent again. Why not buy a nice pre-loved example and pocket the extra? Bremont takes a pretty big hit in the second hand market. They are nice watches though. The 2 examples I've held were solid machines.
I'd love one but I can't imagine the after sales service I'd receive after this ordeal. The event has also left a cold taste behind towards the brand.
Old 15 November 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear. Just purchased Solo-37 tonite and couldn't be happier with watch and sales experience . . .
Old 15 November 2013, 06:50 PM   #14
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Sorry to hear. Just purchased Solo-37 tonite and couldn't be happier with watch and sales experience . . .
Congrats on the fine watch and good service. Some of us can be lucky
Old 15 November 2013, 07:01 PM   #15
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

They are nice watches but for the life of me cannot see how our why people would find value on them at even half their retail and with stories like this I might argue even lower.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 15 November 2013, 11:36 PM   #16
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
That's a pretty sad story I must admit, I don't think you were being fussy as everything was discussed with the AD and agreed upon prior to the deposit and the (almost) purchase. In my field of work if you take a look at a watch for an estimate on a service and realize afterwards that there are more problems you must take the hit and learn from it, I think it would have been in their interest to give you the bracelet and lose a bit of money instead of losing a customer and getting a hit on their reputation.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
Old 16 November 2013, 01:26 AM   #17
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
They are nice watches but for the life of me cannot see how our why people would find value on them at even half their retail and with stories like this I might argue even lower.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
AD hassle, not manufacturer hassle imo. As to how or why, 'cause it's life, a luxury good and a very subjective issue in that I could wonder the same about a Patek, VC, VSA, IWC, Seiko, Timex, etc, etc and so forth, again imo, ymmv . . .
Old 16 November 2013, 02:50 AM   #18
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
With all due respect, I do not see how Bremont insulted you by not offering you the discount you were looking for. They are the company that manufactures the watches, and they would prefer no discount would be given on their products. Many brands give zero discount on their watches in the brand boutiques. This is just because they aim to increase the value of the watches on the secondary market. So, I think it is a bit far-fetched to state that you were insulted and that because of this their service is bad. They offered you their watch, but on their terms. No bad service IMO. Nor has this got anything to say about the after-sales service.

I do indeed agree that the AD was wrong, and that service was indeed not up to the standard you should expect from an AD. But I really do not see how this is "bad service" from Bremont.

Hopefully you will find a watch that you like!
Old 16 November 2013, 04:31 AM   #19
Limey-
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I don't see any fault on Bremonts side. The dealer possibly. Most of the issue here sounds like sour grapes. You did not get the "offer" in writing or on a receipt. You then order a different watch than the one in stock (which you could have taken and had corrected under warranty and still have got the deal you claim was offered) and still expect a big discount. Not following your logic in complaining. Legal "he said she said" , no binding contract (receipt). Just Bremont bashing.
Old 16 November 2013, 04:33 AM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Sorry to hear this - the issue seems to perhaps be with the dealer, and specifically regarding the bracelet. And I don't really understand why the AD would want more money from you to order a replacement for a unsatisfactory watch (the bezel). Regarding Bremont, I think it unlikely they or other manufacturers would offer a discounted price - this is really something for the dealers to handle. All I can suggest is that it's best to get everything in writing (assuming you didn't) before making a commitment

Good luck with your next move
Old 16 November 2013, 05:05 AM   #21
andrema
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
Hey everyone I’d like to share my very poor experience with a Bremont AD and the Bremont company.

After deciding to seriously consider Bremont as my next watch, I went into Australia’s only AD, Gregory Jewelers to take a look at the Supermarine line. I was very excited by the great service I received and went home to think it over as some of you may know from my other post, considering between the S500 and S2000. After some consideration I chose the S2000 as my preferred watch, and negotiated a price that was within my budget. At the store and on the phone, I was told ‘very specifically’ that the deal would include a bracelet. This was important to me because I always wear them with every watch I buy. They told me that the bracelet wasn’t in stock, but I’d receive it within a couple of weeks, along with a leather strap and a shorter rubber strap. So I handed my digits over the phone and put down my deposit.

The following week I went back to the store to collect the watch but it had a misaligned bezel, so they instructed me that it would take another few weeks to get in another sample for me. I told them I needed to think about it because seeing the sample with the bezel issue was a slight turn off for me. The store requested that if I was to go ahead they'd need me to pay up to 50% of the watch because they had to order it from England, so I went over the deal again, and when I mentioned the bracelet, the dealer had a strange look on his face and said ‘yeah yeah, all good’. Something just didn’t feel right. So I went home and the following day and emailed them. I wanted them to confirm in writing what they had confirmed all along verbally. Their reply was that with the discount I was receiving they ‘could NOT’ include the bracelet! I knew it, I knew it. Something felt fishy when I was in store, and I replied back saying that if that's the way they were going to do business, I would not go ahead, and I asked them to refund my deposit. The store’s reply was

“It is very surprising and disappointing to hear you do not wish to proceed the purchase.

As the Bremont Representative & I have pursued your every request above & beyond what is normally practised in a daily sale & after sales assistance on your behalf.

As you did place a deposit down on the watch on your own accord, you are bound by the conditions of the sale.

Our usual company policy would be forfeiting the deposit as everything you have requested, where possible, we have complied".

You could imagine how insulted I felt considering they knew they were in the wrong, so I cc’d Bremont, as well as the Australian contact I had. Bremont replied (never heard from the local contact), firstly, and understandably in defense of their dealer, then offered to sell to me directly. I then replied back thanking them for their offer and asked at what price they would sell to me. They replied back at $1000 more than quoted by the store (without the bracelet). I replied letting them know their price was over $1000 more, then their last reply was that they couldn't do anything about that. "Unfortunately, it would not be possible to discount" - this is after they knew exactly the price I was offered by the AD.

…..so it was certainly clear they were playing games with me and this kind of business is not one that wins over any customer. It’s unprofessional and quite disgusting. I’m not saying their products aren’t great but after hearing about their great after-sales service I am absolutely disgusted in their lack of understanding, their plain rudeness, and poor effort to ensure their customers, or potential customers have a positive experience.

They have obviously labeled me as a difficult customer, all because I wanted what I was promised and committed to by laying down my deposit. I was even prepared to buy the watch at the price agreed without the bracelet as they were showing they really wanted my business. I had no reason to make any of this up and all this happened because the dealer decided to change the deal. I can’t imagine the story I’d be telling if I purchased that watch, and sat around waiting for a bracelet that never came.

So what does this make me? A disgruntled customer who didn't get what he wanted? NO. I am a disgruntled customer who didn't get what he was promised. Therefor it is my recommendation that customers seriously consider what has happened here before making a Bremont purchase.
So, you didn't get the deal that you wanted...so what!?! At least you know that you like the watch enough to buy and can look for alternative sources for the watch. Move on.

BTW - I do not fault either party in this case -- Bremont or the AD. If you put a deposit down on something, you should have got something in writing that listed EXACTLY what you were getting in exchange. In regards to the AD's actions, they may have possibly misunderstood what you were referring to when you said bracelet when negotiating a sales price for dealer sample that had a rubber strap attached. They probably have folks coming into their store that refer to the rubber strap as a bracelet, because they are ingnorant to what the proper term is...

BTW - Bremont did the right thing in this case, you just didn't like the answer that you received. <<<--- The discgraceful part of this whole thing is how you publicly bashed Bremont for doing what is common practice within the industry.
Old 16 November 2013, 05:10 AM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post

How many other forums are you going to post this rant to? I guess WUS wasn't enough:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f444/br...ul-941733.html

Might I suggest timezone, tz-uk, and 3t? Perhaps then you will feel that you've damaged the brand's reputation sufficiently to let it go
Old 16 November 2013, 05:11 AM   #23
4pfrench
"TRF" Member

Cant' understand why they have labeled you as a difficult customer.

I suddenly want to buy a Bremont.
Old 16 November 2013, 05:23 AM   #24
rain_maker
Banned

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavv160 View Post
With all due respect, I do not see how Bremont insulted you by not offering you the discount you were looking for. They are the company that manufactures the watches, and they would prefer no discount would be given on their products. Many brands give zero discount on their watches in the brand boutiques. This is just because they aim to increase the value of the watches on the secondary market. So, I think it is a bit far-fetched to state that you were insulted and that because of this their service is bad. They offered you their watch, but on their terms. No bad service IMO. Nor has this got anything to say about the after-sales service.

I do indeed agree that the AD was wrong, and that service was indeed not up to the standard you should expect from an AD. But I really do not see how this is "bad service" from Bremont.

Hopefully you will find a watch that you like!
+1 ... if anything this is an issue between you and the AD. If they (the AD) was misleading, name them in the post, not the manufacturer.

Bremont is under no obligation to match a discount the AD offered you (and probably offered you because of the issues).

In fact many manufactures (Rolex, Revo, Maui Jim, Tumi, etc) will drop a distributor for discounting as discounting can weaken their position in the market. So I wouldnt have expected Bremont to match a discount. If you do, your expectations are off.
Old 16 November 2013, 07:11 AM   #25
demer03
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pfrench View Post
Cant' understand why they have labeled you as a difficult customer.

I suddenly want to buy a Bremont.
Old 16 November 2013, 07:11 AM   #26
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
Haven't said this for a while. IBTL
Old 16 November 2013, 07:41 AM   #27
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
That's a pretty sad story I must admit, I don't think you were being fussy as everything was discussed with the AD and agreed upon prior to the deposit and the (almost) purchase. In my field of work if you take a look at a watch for an estimate on a service and realize afterwards that there are more problems you must take the hit and learn from it, I think it would have been in their interest to give you the bracelet and lose a bit of money instead of losing a customer and getting a hit on their reputation.
Well thats what I was thinking, but then thought well at least offer me the same price the dealer offered, which was negotiated with Bremont in the first place. Well, the plot thickens. My post about this on WUS was removed and I received an email from Bremont:

Dear Kristian,

Thank you for your email and I am very sorry that you feel this way, our intent is never to offend or cause any ill feeling.

I thoroughly appreciate the frustrations that you have experienced thus far and naturally, we would want to restore your faith in the Bremont brand. As a luxury brand, it is against company policy to discount.

I would be happy to assist and advise you with any future enquires that you may have.

Kind Regards,

Emma

Emma Smith
Customer Services Manager

I wonder what further enquires I may have? She 'thoroughly appreciates the frustrations, yet is happy to make me pay $1500 more to buy directly through them because their AD did the wrong thing. This company is an absolute joke!!!
Old 16 November 2013, 07:42 AM   #28
panerai7
"TRF" Member

I wish Rolex could confiscate your Pelagos.
Old 16 November 2013, 07:44 AM   #29
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_maker View Post
+1 ... if anything this is an issue between you and the AD. If they (the AD) was misleading, name them in the post, not the manufacturer.

Bremont is under no obligation to match a discount the AD offered you (and probably offered you because of the issues).

In fact many manufactures (Rolex, Revo, Maui Jim, Tumi, etc) will drop a distributor for discounting as discounting can weaken their position in the market. So I wouldnt have expected Bremont to match a discount. If you do, your expectations are off.
I never said it was Bremont's obligation to offer me a discount. But considering they're offering to sell to me directly, which is not normal procedure, at least match the price THEY authorized the dealer to give me in the first place!

Considering the resale values of Bremont, there is no way in hell I'd pay full retail on their products. Not to say they're not worth it, because I've never owned one.

Bremont were saying they were trying to offer me a resolution, and after offering and authorizing a discount through an AD, decide to take that away during the resolution. Sorry, but this is the worst business dealing I've experienced at this level.
Old 16 November 2013, 07:45 AM   #30
andrema
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
I wish Rolex could confiscate your Pelagos.
He sold it a week or so ago...
Closed Thread