The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 June 2019, 12:50 PM   #1
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Girard Peregaux reputation

I really love the Girard Peregaux Laureto Chronograph with blue dial and blue croc strap and can get one for $10k gray market. I was wondering what is the reputation of GP? How does it stack up in comparison to Patek, VC, and AP? What is the reputation of the brand, respected?

jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:54 PM   #2
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Looks great & not made of unobtainium like the Royal Oak & Nautilus. GPs high end pieces like the 3 bridge tourbillon are lovely. Not sure why resale is so tough but the same is true of almost all watch brands.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 01:02 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I don't really like GP. They have a lot of "me-too"designs and I feel they lack innovation, except for some of their high complications like their constant force watches. The Laureto looks like a cross between a Nautilus and a Royal Oak.

The watches are good value ( ie bang for the buck ) but that's because resale is horrid. So if you buy it, make sure you plan to keep it.
Old 24 June 2019, 04:00 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Girard Peregaux reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I don't really like GP. They have a lot of "me-too"designs and I feel they lack innovation, except for some of their high complications like their constant force watches. The Laureto looks like a cross between a Nautilus and a Royal Oak.
This is a sentiment that is often expressed, usually as a result of a lack of understanding of the company's history, and more recently the history of the Laureato. The Laureato has a proud lineage over five generations, and it is obvious when you seen them next to each other. In that way, the current reference is a derivation of the previous four.

Photo credit: @crown comfort on WatchProSite

The Laureato was created in 1975 - yes, three years after the Royal Oak, but a year before the Nautilus and Ingenieur, and two years before the 222, so there is that. With respect to the similarity of the octagonal bezel design, most watch designs are derivative, and the Laureato especially, but also the RO, draw significant influence from the design of the original Zenith Defy that debuted in 1969.

Photo credit: unknown

Finally, the Laureato has always had an in-house movement. Neither the RO or Nautilus can boast that.

So, perhaps we can just enjoy the Laureato for what it is - holding it head proudly high amongst other distinguished company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The watches are good value ( ie bang for the buck ) but that's because resale is horrid. So if you buy it, make sure you plan to keep it.
Unfortunately, this sentiment I cannot disagree with, and sadly it is possibly true because of the widely held first sentiment expressed above. So OP, I agree that you should buy at the best price you can and to hold for some time.

If you need a better understanding of the reputation of Girard-Perregaux, I can do no better than direct you to articles on GP watches by Jack Forester at Hodinkee, such as this one:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gi...-38mm-hands-on

However, seek out some of his others articles and you'll see this veteran of watch journalism is a fan.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 06:09 PM   #5
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
This is a sentiment that is often expressed, usually as a result of a lack of understanding of the company's history, and more recently the history of the Laureato. The Laureato has a proud lineage over five generations, and it is obvious when you seen them next to each other. In that way, the current reference is a derivation of the previous four.

The Laureato was created in 1975 - yes, three years after the Royal Oak, but a year before the Nautilus and Ingenieur, and two years before the 222, so there is that. With respect to the similarity of the octagonal bezel design, most watch designs are derivative, and the Laureato especially, but also the RO, draw significant influence from the design of the original Zenith Defy that debuted in 1969.

Finally, the Laureato has always had an in-house movement. Neither the RO or Nautilus can boast that.

So, perhaps we can just enjoy the Laureato for what it is - holding it head proudly high amongst other distinguished company.

Unfortunately, this sentiment I cannot disagree with, and sadly it is possibly true because of the widely held first sentiment expressed above. So OP, I agree that you should buy at the best price you can and to hold for some time.

If you need a better understanding of the reputation of Girard-Perregaux, I can do no better than direct you to articles on GP watches by Jack Forester at Hodinkee, such as this one:

However, seek out some of his others articles and you'll see this veteran of watch journalism is a fan.
Very nice and informative post, interesting to know.
myporsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 09:13 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the GP watches and they have some great designs. My only issue deals with value, both new and used they seem to be difficult to protect any value.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 06:49 AM   #7
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the history lesson.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 07:33 AM   #8
jag32
Banned

What attracted me to GP was the poor resale value but exceptional quality, history, and lineage. I can pickup a Laureato chrono for $10k. I would never pay MSRP. Given this, should I? I can’t afford a Nautilus.
Old 25 June 2019, 11:41 AM   #9
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I love GP. The Laureato is a fantastic steel sports watch. I have owned the new iteration, but when I got the 3rd gen in new old stock, it made the newer one dispensable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 01:27 PM   #10
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
I love GP. The Laureato is a fantastic steel sports watch. I have owned the new iteration, but when I got the 3rd gen in new old stock, it made the newer one dispensable.

What's the difference between the 3rd gen and the new iteration (4th gen?)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 08:45 PM   #11
Cru Jones

Quote:

Really exceptional post, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post

Beautiful!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:11 PM   #12
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post

The new iteration is actually the fifth generation, or 5.5 depending if you count the 2016 41mm limited edition the same generation as the current 42mm watch (which also includes 34 and 38mm three-handers, plus a bunch of complication watches in the collection). Anyway, the major difference between the 3rd and 5th is the size and the movement (36mm and cal. 3100 vs 41 or 42mm and cal. 3300 or 1800)
Old 26 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #13
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

The third generation was 36 MM At the largest size. The bracelets are completely different. The center links are raised and rounded and the clasp used is funky with a hinged cover. The dials are similar but the third gen is a bit more delicate in a good way.

Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

In terms of overall quality, I would put GP on the same level as Patek but don't pay retail, as they can be had at with a large discount and suffer from huge depreciation on the used market. Marketing (i.e., Rolex and Patek) pays great dividends in terms of resale but doesn't those dollars don't buy finishing and quality.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:40 PM   #15
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Great brand with very long history.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 05:52 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I tried the Laureato Chrono and time only at the dealer.

I like them but they don't work for my wrist size. I found the 42mm too big but 38mm to be too small.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 08:04 AM   #17
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I tried the Laureato Chrono and time only at the dealer.

I like them but they don't work for my wrist size. I found the 42mm too big but 38mm to be too small.

That’s why I went with the 41mm
Old 9 July 2019, 01:51 PM   #18
jag32
Banned

Quote:
That’s why I went with the 41mm
GP makes a 41mm laureato?
Old 9 July 2019, 03:05 PM   #19
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Yes, the 225th anniversary 2016 model that “rebooted” the Laureato line. Followed in 2017 by the 38mm and 42mm models.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 07:02 PM   #20
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I read somewhere that GP is kinda like JLC. Known more as movement makers rather than watchmakers. Thus, it was not put in same pedestal as the horological trinity.

Also, that the laureato was not inspired by the royal. It was just coincidence that the shape appears the same.

Nice to know re Defy.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 07:12 PM   #21
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post

As @Cru Jones said, yes they did in 2016. Everything is just that little bit small and finer than in the later references. It has the same movement as the 38mm model, but IMHO with a polished bezel and finer hour markers, it just feels a little more refined

Old 9 July 2019, 11:40 PM   #22
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
I have that blue 38mm version and it oozes class in my opinion. If you are interested watchfinder have just released an excellent video discussing it. It may well change peoples minds.
As mentioned I think many have no idea of the history and how long the laureato has been around
My laureato and 16570 are so nice on the wrist I am actually going to get rid of my hulk because they have made it redundant!
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 01:58 AM   #23
shafran
"TRF" Member

Their movements are tried and true

I have a panerai pam 98, uses a gp movement with alarm. Great watch.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 04:47 AM   #24
KBM

Quote:

Good info, thanks!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:13 AM   #25
Pro_Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great post!

I like the brand and the models very much, they are absolutely underrated. Quality is at least as AP and Patek.
In my opinion resale prices will go up in the next 1-2 years.
Pro_Watch is offline   Reply With Quote