The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 July 2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Rolexadmirer51
"TRF" Member

Tag heuer advice

Took my son to the Apple store at the mall today. I figured while we were shopping I’d look at watches. So I see this nice TAG HEUER CARRERA CALIBRE HEUER 01 at the AD. I like the watch; Figure it will scratch my itch while I am patiently waiting for my Submariner. Anyway, Dealer tells me the watch is $5500 , but they’ll take 10% off. She then says “but if you find that any cheaper will match the price”.

So I google the watch and find it on Jomashop for $3400. I said I’ll take it, but for $3400. They proceeded to tell me that JS is not an authorized dealer, and that the warranty isn’t from TH, And that their cost on the watch is more than that. Herein lies my question, And I’ve read some posts on Joma shop and gray market watchers on this forum. Is there possibly a way that they’re telling the truth, Could Jomashop possibly acquire the Watch, and make a retail profit at a cost less than the dealer would pay wholesale? . This is the part I don’t believe

And I’m all support for supporting local, small business. But they walked me out a cost 40% higher than the competition. . That seems crazy.

Thoughts?
Rolexadmirer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:05 AM   #2
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
They were just trying to make a sale.. You can absolutely get more than 10% off on that watch and I would suggest even looking at pre owned ones if you're ok with that and save some money.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:09 AM   #3
Rolexadmirer51
"TRF" Member

They took almost 20 percent off before I left. But the $4400 they came down to is a lot more than Jomashops $3200. Thanks for the input I’m going to keep looking. I’d rather stay with new
Old 17 July 2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

They're not being truthful. Authorized dealers generally pay around half of MSRP for a watch, although it can vary a bit by brand. If the watch you are interested in lists for $5500 then the dealer probably paid around $2750 for it. If Jomashop is selling the watch for $3400, that means that both the authorized dealer who sold Jomashop the watch and Jomashop themselves are making a certain amount on the watch, as they both should. Neither an authorized dealer nor a grey market dealer are going to lose money on a watch unless they really, really want to get rid of a piece.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Rolexadmirer51
"TRF" Member

Justindo

Thank you for replying , your answer makes a lot of sense, and is exactly the information I was looking for. Also, it confirms what I had expected; that the dealer was lying, and I wanted them to make money, just not that much!