The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2019, 06:17 AM   #121
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I knew by mid 2017 that Rolex would not change supply or prices after the Brexit bump in the UK changed the market here entirely and they did almost nothing, so unless a black swan flew in or Social Media got banned I didn't see anything changing, but the speed at which prices are moving up this year is pretty alarming.
Exactly right. IMO Jan 2015 unpegging of the Swiss Franc from the Euro really started all the craziness. And with Rolex once they left the UK market in shambles we knew this Rolex mess was here to stay. Mix in the changes in Chinese gifting laws and it's been a disaster.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...h-gifts-2016-2
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:01 AM   #122
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Everyone should read this about Panerai:

"It appears that for Bonati Officine Panerai was somehow a joke. He was heard saying that the Panerai watch was “un orologio del cazzo”, a shit watch (cazzo = dick). He even had three watches made with the inscription “Cazzomir” and hour markers with the shape of dicks to mock the watch (as seen in the photo below)."

https://perezcope.com/2018/02/15/pam...-of-the-fiddy/
Great read. Thank you
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:20 AM   #123
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Panerai basically make two watches, the big square case pocket watch looking one, and the one with the weird crown lock thing.

They are pretty limited with what they can do, and with who will buy.

They also engage in some pretty deceptive marketing, which can’t help matters any.
rolex basically makes one... lets be honest the difference in a DJ, DD, Sub, Sea Dweller, Yachtmaster, GMT II etc , etc, etc as far as a case is pretty small.

the number of three hand and a date watches in similar looking cases Rolex makes is astounding. seriously

Plus they almost all come on the same bracelet... across the entire range. At least with PAM they come on many strap options and colors
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:46 AM   #124
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Comparing Rolex and Panerai is like comparing Mercedes Benz and Hummer.
Exactly. So true, in more ways than one .
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:02 AM   #125
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
rolex basically makes one... lets be honest the difference in a DJ, DD, Sub, Sea Dweller, Yachtmaster, GMT II etc , etc, etc as far as a case is pretty small.

the number of three hand and a date watches in similar looking cases Rolex makes is astounding. seriously

Plus they almost all come on the same bracelet... across the entire range. At least with PAM they come on many strap options and colors

Yeah.........no.

Rolex has more models just in the Cellini line than Panerai makes altogether.

It is cool to change straps around, but it's nothing you can't do on a Rolex too.

A different color strap doesn't make it a different watch.

In all fairness, I did leave one out, the one with the ugly crown lock thing and the rotating bezel.

I guess that makes three.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:22 AM   #126
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
These things come in waves. Rolex will come down in time but not like Panerai as the base of consumers for Rolex is much larger

Panerai was never my thing as I am Rolex person but recently picked up PAM911 to add collection. Yes they are big but it still fits my 6.75 wrist nicely and is nice change from Rolex

Here's comparison to my Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a sexy PAM!
Old 18 July 2019, 11:18 AM   #127
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
That’s a sexy PAM!

Thanks!!

I really like my green dial Luminor.

I recently put it on a camo strap

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:25 PM   #128
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
what a fantastic thread!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 01:28 PM   #129
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I can only speak from personal experience and be brutally honest: I’ve never seen a Panerai I would own. The crown guard mechanism has always looked ridiculous to me and for those that don’t have it I don’t like the case shape. I am not a huge fan of the ceramic bezel on the six digit Rolex sports models but I would take any of them every day of the week over any watch in Panerai’s catalogue.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 02:32 PM   #130
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:16 AM   #131
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah.........no.

Rolex has more models just in the Cellini line than Panerai makes altogether.

It is cool to change straps around, but it's nothing you can't do on a Rolex too.

A different color strap doesn't make it a different watch.

In all fairness, I did leave one out, the one with the ugly crown lock thing and the rotating bezel.

I guess that makes three.
the oyster case is almost the same on every watch. that isn't in debate. Take the cellini line out since especially here its an afterthought.

Tell me what's fundamentally different between a YM, Sub, SD43, DSSD, GMTII, DJ case? Not much

People act like there is a ton of variety in Rolex. There isn't unless you count bezel colors, a GMT hand, making an almost identical case different sizes, or dial colors. Its pretty much a tweak of the same watch over and over again. There isn't anything wrong with that, but i find them to be just as similar as AP, or the Panerai as far as being all pretty similar to the rest of them. At least with AP and Panerai you get similar watches with the option of different complications some of which are very complicated. Rolex is time and date, time and date, time and date and day, time only, chrono, and one AC, and a YMII

the difference is AP puts all the RO's in one product category, Panerai uses basically 3 for everything, and Rolex makes a different product category for every variation, but that doesnt make them fundamentally different watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 03:06 AM   #132
donq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the oyster case is almost the same on every watch. that isn't in debate. Take the cellini line out since especially here its an afterthought.

Tell me what's fundamentally different between a YM, Sub, SD43, DSSD, GMTII, DJ case? Not much

People act like there is a ton of variety in Rolex. There isn't unless you count bezel colors, a GMT hand, making an almost identical case different sizes, or dial colors. Its pretty much a tweak of the same watch over and over again. There isn't anything wrong with that, but i find them to be just as similar as AP, or the Panerai as far as being all pretty similar to the rest of them. At least with AP and Panerai you get similar watches with the option of different complications some of which are very complicated. Rolex is time and date, time and date, time and date and day, time only, chrono, and one AC, and a YMII

the difference is AP puts all the RO's in one product category, Panerai uses basically 3 for everything, and Rolex makes a different product category for every variation, but that doesnt make them fundamentally different watches.
You do know the original Radiomir case was made by...
You guessed it! Rolex.

I guess they can make a different case...
Old 19 July 2019, 03:10 AM   #133
Bostonbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rolex has a long way to go to fall as low as Panerai, however the fact that someone is asking the question shows that Rolex is headed in a potentially dangerous path. It’s becoming a speculator’s brand. Speculators have destroyed bigger things than Rolex before, so I would disagree that Rolex’s size will protect them, or that their conservative design shields them from a similar downfall as Panerai. Safe stuffing speculators see their Rolex watches as commodities (not as their favorite shiny trinket). Rolex needs to get control over this situation before it drives real buyers away. In addition, this shift towards the grey market opens the door to fraudulent merchants....and that makes consumers nervous (speculators less because they think they can spot fakes...I’m not so sure this confidence is justified in these difficult times).
Bostonbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 03:16 AM   #134
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
You do know the original Radiomir case was made by...
You guessed it! Rolex.

I guess they can make a different case...
Yes, and when Panerai reintroduced the Radiomir they made it 40mm in gold with a Zenith Elite inside. Only 700 ever made in this white gold case and they have never made a 40mm Radiomir since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2F213A24-F04D-4F6B-8D41-AB37FC93599A.jpeg (147.4 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpeg 1B8888E9-68EF-4095-AD17-9CE8BC431FAE.jpeg (149.4 KB, 249 views)
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 03:23 AM   #135
donq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
Yes, and when Panerai reintroduced the Radiomir they made it 40mm in gold with a Zenith Elite inside. Only 700 ever made in this white gold case and they have never made a 40mm Radiomir since.

Well now you’re just showing off!

Beautiful watch by the way.
Old 19 July 2019, 04:04 AM   #136
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Well now you’re just showing off!

Beautiful watch by the way.
Thank you
Old 19 July 2019, 06:33 AM   #137
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
That is one of the best PAMs (IMHO).
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:43 AM   #138
ricardoo
"TRF" Member

Honda is a great car but when you look generally , can you compare it with a Mercedes-Benz or a BMW ?
ricardoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:00 AM   #139
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoo View Post
Honda is a great car but when you look generally , can you compare it with a Mercedes-Benz or a BMW ?
Terrible comparison. If a Rolex is a Mercedes pr BMW a Panerai is a Lexus or Infiniti.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:15 AM   #140
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
To me Panerai makes boring watches that are similar to Chinese offerings that can be had for about $100. I never saw the appeal and I still don't see it.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:17 AM   #141
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Terrible comparison. If a Rolex is a Mercedes pr BMW a Panerai is a Lexus or Infiniti.
If I thought Rolex quality was on par with Mercedes I would not have touched Rolex with a 10 foot pole. Please do not insult Rolex with this kind of comparison.
Old 19 July 2019, 07:57 AM   #142
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
That is achingly beautiful.
Thanks Tony, I have zero regrets adding a Pan to my collection, it's a beautiful watch, gets lots of positive comments and it gets a lot of wrist time.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:16 AM   #143
Boutella
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Rhodium Sky
There is so much pain with trying to sell Panerai these days. The prices are at the lowest of lows.
Boutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:34 AM   #144
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Panerai had and still has a lot of problems...too many LE's, making watches over and over again - example = Cali dial, when loyalists/collectors snapped up the 249 in 2006, that was a special watch, but then again and again they mass marketed non LE's (424 cali dial) of the same concept. They said they wouldn't touch older designs and did time and again. The 317 movement debacle didn't help matters and as a result, by 2014/2015, they lost a large amount of their base, and now their new pieces are so expensive, they are further alienating that base and struggling to find new enthusiasts because in that price range, one can buy a lot. It's a mess to this day and you can see it - if all they can do is change the color of the dial, their appeal is limited.

None of this is going on with Rolex. Rolex is supply/demand in a global economy that has picked up steam over the years. It will change in the future, but no one can predict how. Demand for Rolex is very different than demand for any other watch brand.

Panerai lost its way. That's not going to happen with Rolex.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:42 AM   #145
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson13 View Post
That is one of the best PAMs (IMHO).
That is very generous of you, thanks

The wrist feel of this slim little gem is incredible.
Old 19 July 2019, 10:08 AM   #146
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If I thought Rolex quality was on par with Mercedes I would not have touched Rolex with a 10 foot pole. Please do not insult Rolex with this kind of comparison.
Perception and prestige.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:40 AM   #147
Bostonbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
Panerai had and still has a lot of problems...too many LE's, making watches over and over again - example = Cali dial, when loyalists/collectors snapped up the 249 in 2006, that was a special watch, but then again and again they mass marketed non LE's (424 cali dial) of the same concept. They said they wouldn't touch older designs and did time and again. The 317 movement debacle didn't help matters and as a result, by 2014/2015, they lost a large amount of their base, and now their new pieces are so expensive, they are further alienating that base and struggling to find new enthusiasts because in that price range, one can buy a lot. It's a mess to this day and you can see it - if all they can do is change the color of the dial, their appeal is limited.

None of this is going on with Rolex. Rolex is supply/demand in a global economy that has picked up steam over the years. It will change in the future, but no one can predict how. Demand for Rolex is very different than demand for any other watch brand.

Panerai lost its way. That's not going to happen with Rolex.
“Lost a large amount of their base” that’s the bottom line, and the mechanism through which this occurs is speculators displacing consumers at ADs. Speculators don’t care about what’s in the watch, the appearance of the watch, it’s size, etc.. it’s only about money and resale for them. When they run out of consumers (those that care about the movement, size, etc...) by having driven them away, then the bubble bursts.
Bostonbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:46 AM   #148
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoo View Post
If your car starting is more important than how cool you look? Absolutely.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:49 PM   #149
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I think it’s a stretch to say Rolex is in the same boat as Panerai was. Actually, it’s quite ridiculous.

You’re over-thinking and over-analyzing it.

Rolex is significantly more established. It’s one of the most recognizable, most valuable brands on the planet. Not just in the watch industry, but it’s right up there with Apple, Google, Coke...

Panerai is a niche brand. Only watch enthusiasts know about it. You can’t compare the 2.

Exactly my thoughts.
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 06:12 AM   #150
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Perception and prestige.
Mercedes is a mediocre car, at least as far as reliability is concerned and Rolex does not deserve to be put in the same category as Mercedes. Any perception that Mercedes makes high quality cars is an ignorant one.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100