The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 December 2017, 08:09 PM   #31
ceramic1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Really like the olive strap, is that BP sailcloth?

No it's a hirsh Arne strap.
ceramic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 05:17 AM   #32
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I put mine on a Hirsch Tiger, felt that the OEM sailcloth looked nice but that the padding on the lug ends was simply too thin so gave this a shot. Happy with the results:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPFF_122217_s.jpg (288.6 KB, 2437 views)
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 06:42 AM   #33
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, I loved the tribute to 50 fathoms when I tried it on. Stunning watch with amazing details, quality and heft. Sat very well on the wrist too. Kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 04:34 PM   #34
Monsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep sea black
Bp fifty fathoms is on my shortlist of future purchases for sure
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:29 AM   #35
deeb
"TRF" Member

I wanted to get an opinion from you all , FF tribute to aqua lung vs the FF no rad both were released in the last 5 years and both are one of 500 made. I currently have the aqua lung but might trade it for the No Rad any thoughts would be helpful. Do you all think one more valuable than the other. I know it comes down to personal preference but I don’t want to make a disproportionate trade.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 09:36 AM   #36
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I wanted to get an opinion from you all , FF tribute to aqua lung vs the FF no rad both were released in the last 5 years and both are one of 500 made. I currently have the aqua lung but might trade it for the No Rad any thoughts would be helpful. Do you all think one more valuable than the other. I know it comes down to personal preference but I don’t want to make a disproportionate trade.
These watches don't come up for sale in the second market too often and even those that you see come up could be influenced by condition, throwing your data points off. I've seen asking prices for both in the same range. Sorry I can't be of more help.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 12:28 PM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I put mine on a Hirsch Tiger, felt that the OEM sailcloth looked nice but that the padding on the lug ends was simply too thin so gave this a shot. Happy with the results:
Looks good, like the extra padding.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:11 PM   #38
deeb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
These watches don't come up for sale in the second market too often and even those that you see come up could be influenced by condition, throwing your data points off. I've seen asking prices for both in the same range. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for your input , I ended up trading and couldn’t be more happy. I’ll share a photo soon.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:46 PM   #39
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Looks good, like the extra padding.
Thanks! I thought about checking with BP to see if they'd do a custom one, but figured I'd give this one a go first, and for some reason I haven't reached out to BP yet.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 04:20 AM   #40
SROB
"TRF" Member

Somewhat addressed above, but curious what those of knowledge of both, would say as to a comparison to the Sub and the new 38mm FF?
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 06:21 AM   #41
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

I have always been a Rolex Guy and owned the most demanding models (D-Blue, SD43, Sub LV, BLNR and DaytonaC500.

I had the opportunity to see the Blancpain FF in the flesh and wow, what a amazing watch. Increadible quality and it looks stunning (curve sapphire bezel and the amazing lume).

Now, I can’t wait to have it in my collection and I will take it over any Rolex model.
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 08:28 AM   #42
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tog TT GMT TT SD4K
SD4 Comparison

Here's a side by side with the S2K4000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webblanc3.JPG (222.4 KB, 794 views)
flumazenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 06:39 PM   #43
ialienam
"TRF" Member

2 months ago I was being invited to a Breguet/Blancpain. Honestly, I never gave much thought to those brands before (well...maybe except Breguet old Marine Big Data.. love it).
Anyway tried on Bancpain standard FF, 45mm.. Just so thick and big on me.. Until a few days ago, tried on my friend's BOC III (40mm).. Love it~~ Put me in a hard position, my AD actually got me one just a few weeks ago but I declined because my cash is a bit tight these days. I could have flipped my PP 5164 travel time and make some nice profit..
BUT, it's my first Patek and one of the best GMT!

Anyway, AD sold it to someone else in the afternoon.. Not sure if it was a stupid decision?! (it's like decline to buy a Daytona at a MSRP these days).

40mm really grows in me, and I may prefer 2017 Mil Spec more.. Still possible to get it? Or pre owned so I no need to worry about resale value?

Or wait til next year, because my friend said it's likely they would do 40mm more.. Worth to buy one of those limited edition, eg BOC???
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 01:18 AM   #44
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

They will likely do another 40mm next year, but it probably won't be a BOC. If you like the mil-spec, you can find them used if you look hard enough (watchbox had one for sale earlier this week). Also, don't quote me on this, but I don't think Blancpain have released all 500 mil-spec pieces yet. So it might be worth your time to inquire to a couple of boutiques.

Old 16 September 2018, 01:27 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
2 months ago I was being invited to a Breguet/Blancpain. Honestly, I never gave much thought to those brands before (well...maybe except Breguet old Marine Big Data.. love it).
Anyway tried on Bancpain standard FF, 45mm.. Just so thick and big on me.. Until a few days ago, tried on my friend's BOC III (40mm).. Love it~~ Put me in a hard position, my AD actually got me one just a few weeks ago but I declined because my cash is a bit tight these days. I could have flipped my PP 5164 travel time and make some nice profit..
BUT, it's my first Patek and one of the best GMT!

Anyway, AD sold it to someone else in the afternoon.. Not sure if it was a stupid decision?! (it's like decline to buy a Daytona at a MSRP these days).

40mm really grows in me, and I may prefer 2017 Mil Spec more.. Still possible to get it? Or pre owned so I no need to worry about resale value?

Or wait til next year, because my friend said it's likely they would do 40mm more.. Worth to buy one of those limited edition, eg BOC???
I'm a big FF fan but a bigger one of the 5164, do NOT sell that watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:19 AM   #46
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
They will likely do another 40mm next year, but it probably won't be a BOC. If you like the mil-spec, you can find them used if you look hard enough (watchbox had one for sale earlier this week). Also, don't quote me on this, but I don't think Blancpain have released all 500 mil-spec pieces yet. So it might be worth your time to inquire to a couple of boutiques.
Ya I saw that watchbox YouTube too, but couldn’t see on their website anymore, guess it was sold.

Thanks for the tips! Ya my dealer will find out for me tomorrow and may try a couple of boutiques.

Chrono 24 shows the pre owned is now more expensive than retail!?
Old 18 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #47
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

FYI, late last week I had placed my name with a boutique, just in case there were still some Mil-specs trickling out of Switzerland.

Got an email over the weekend that one was actually coming in today. I was actually beyond surprised.

I passed on it back in January, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I should've gotten it. Didn't turn it down the second time around. So, a very unexpected pick up and I now have a mil-spec. I'm beyond elated (pics to follow).

To others looking for the watch, keep trying the boutiques, as I don't think the entire 500 piece run has been distributed yet.

Old 18 September 2018, 10:48 AM   #48
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Couple of quick pics. Absolutely loving this watch so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180917_200812-1249x937.jpg (204.5 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg 20180917_195741-1249x937.jpg (179.7 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg 20180917_202102-1249x937.jpg (277.9 KB, 650 views)

Old 18 September 2018, 06:24 PM   #49
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Beautiful !! massive congrats on getting your hands on one.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:41 PM   #50
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Beautiful !! massive congrats on getting your hands on one.
Thanks! It's a shame more people don't know about the FF. It really is a fantastic piece with amazing build quality and attention to detail.

I know the moisture indicator on the Milspec isn't everyone's thing, but it's a pretty cool/unique hommage that adds to the charm.

Old 19 September 2018, 05:57 PM   #51
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Hi, anyone here owns the bathyscaphe 38mm (5100-1140-O52A)? Is this a ladies' watch, and how does it feel in terms of comfort and using it for sporty activities?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:50 PM   #52
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Yes my dealer emailed Blancpain and still awaiting for update for mil spec

I also called up a boutique overseas, they said mil spec “all sold out”, but said if I put down a deposit then they can order and have a better chance to secure it. So yah, from the sound of it, there is a chance of getting it really!

They offered BOC III though saying it will arrive oct. and I later today found out another dealer in Australia has a BOC III in stock!

Personally between mil spec and BOC III, I like mil spec more, just looks more “interesting” with history behind it.

But one problem, haha in australia we don’t have blancpain boutique! So I would need to try my overseas family members to help out, and it’s not easy

Between mil spec and BOC III, which will hold value better in the future in your opinion?
I can see on chrono 24 or some forums, mil spec or BOCIII (new or near new condition) are asking same or slightly less MSRP, which isn’t too bad for a brand outside of Rolex or Patek.
Old 19 September 2018, 10:11 PM   #53
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes my dealer emailed Blancpain and still awaiting for update for mil spec

I also called up a boutique overseas, they said mil spec “all sold out”, but said if I put down a deposit then they can order and have a better chance to secure it. So yah, from the sound of it, there is a chance of getting it really!

They offered BOC III though saying it will arrive oct. and I later today found out another dealer in Australia has a BOC III in stock!

Personally between mil spec and BOC III, I like mil spec more, just looks more “interesting” with history behind it.

But one problem, haha in australia we don’t have blancpain boutique! So I would need to try my overseas family members to help out, and it’s not easy

Between mil spec and BOC III, which will hold value better in the future in your opinion?
I can see on chrono 24 or some forums, mil spec or BOCIII (new or near new condition) are asking same or slightly less MSRP, which isn’t too bad for a brand outside of Rolex or Patek.

That's good news! Try calling the NYC boutique as well, they likely have greater pull in acquisitions and they can most likely ship it to you (I secured my Milspec from them this week).

The value retention question is a tough one. The BOCs (1 and 2) seem to be holding their value well. Plus the BOCiii run is 250 pieces compared to the 500 piece run for the Milspec. That said, I feel like the Milspec received much more fan fair and is more popular from an aesthetic standpoint (the ocean logo on the BOC is slightly polarizing). Also, the Milspec has historical connotation. So, gun to my head, I'd say the Milspec will hold value a little better. That said, and as much as I love Blancpain and their history, they are no Patek or Rolex when it comes to holding or gaining value. I'd say, choose the watch that sings to you and enjoy it.

Keep us posted.

Old 20 September 2018, 03:30 AM   #54
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
I talked to the London Blancpain boutique yesterday. The sales guy said they couldn’t get one in for me as they’d been fully distributed.

Looks like only the US boutiques will do the leg work to help source one.
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #55
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddius View Post
I talked to the London Blancpain boutique yesterday. The sales guy said they couldn’t get one in for me as they’d been fully distributed.

Looks like only the US boutiques will do the leg work to help source one.
Could you try the US boutiques? I find it ridiculous that you're being told the entire 500 piece run has been fully distributed. I received mine Monday. The boutique literally just got it in 2 days prior to me picking it up (it was still in an unopened brown shipping box from Switzerland, so I know they're not lying).

Old 20 September 2018, 08:38 PM   #56
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
That's good news! Try calling the NYC boutique as well, they likely have greater pull in acquisitions and they can most likely ship it to you (I secured my Milspec from them this week).

The value retention question is a tough one. The BOCs (1 and 2) seem to be holding their value well. Plus the BOCiii run is 250 pieces compared to the 500 piece run for the Milspec. That said, I feel like the Milspec received much more fan fair and is more popular from an aesthetic standpoint (the ocean logo on the BOC is slightly polarizing). Also, the Milspec has historical connotation. So, gun to my head, I'd say the Milspec will hold value a little better. That said, and as much as I love Blancpain and their history, they are no Patek or Rolex when it comes to holding or gaining value. I'd say, choose the watch that sings to you and enjoy it.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the info! Yah mil spec looks good!

For NYC boutique When u say ship it to u, u mean like ship to your home address ie outside of NYC?

Need to pay state tax?

Sorry for such a dumb question, but I never bought any watch in USA before, if they can ship it within USA, I may be able to get my uncle to receive it for me

Thanks!
Old 21 September 2018, 12:46 PM   #57
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Yah mil spec looks good!

For NYC boutique When u say ship it to u, u mean like ship to your home address ie outside of NYC?

Need to pay state tax?

Sorry for such a dumb question, but I never bought any watch in USA before, if they can ship it within USA, I may be able to get my uncle to receive it for me

Thanks!
Not a dumb question at all.

They can ship it out of state, and you would pay the state sales tax where the watch is shipped. So, if you know somebody in states with low sales tax (like Delaware or New Hampshire which is essentially zero) , you pay that. To be honest, shipping to almost anywhere outside of NYC will be a benefit (8.5% tax for NYC).

Old 23 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #58
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Loving this watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180922_152209-1088x816.jpg (252.9 KB, 566 views)

Old 23 September 2018, 01:04 PM   #59
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Yah My AD said she will try her best. From the sound of it, yah there is a chance of getting it.

But I have a feeling that blancpain may wish to give to boutique only, and unfortunately we don’t have a blancpain boutique in Australia..

I will try my luck with pre owned too.. I don’t want to settle for BOC III when my heart likes mil spec more.
Old 29 September 2018, 05:18 AM   #60
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! Yah My AD said she will try her best. From the sound of it, yah there is a chance of getting it.

But I have a feeling that blancpain may wish to give to boutique only, and unfortunately we don’t have a blancpain boutique in Australia..

I will try my luck with pre owned too.. I don’t want to settle for BOC III when my heart likes mil spec more.
Any luck??