The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

You’ll think I’m absolutely crazy, but I need your opinions.

Hey guys. I know everyone here will probably think I am crazy but I need advice anyway. I am very ocd and I take pride in keeping my possessions very nice. Even on my cheap $300-$500 seikos, I cannot stand dings/dents. Well as you may know after months of searching, I finally pulled the trigger on a bluesy. I absolutely love the watch. The watch is darn near mint condition but after looking around I found a little ding that I can’t unsee. I am considering sending it to Rolliworks to get it fixed. I’m honestly not worried about the price, I am more worried that my watch does not need a polish, and I really don’t want to waste one on just a ding. Also I’ve found in the past that when you are ocd and try to fix something minor, sometimes it creates worse issues. I would hate to get it back with a ding in my gold bezel or something from where it was removed. I know I sound ridiculous but my last watch was an old datejust that a local watchmaker opened up to service, only to gouge my lug. Then, when he sealed/water proofed my watch, he sealed a bunch of lint under the face as well as glued a big hair between the glass and the case. Lol. This experience is what made me so paranoid. So should I leave it alone or send it in? It’s really only noticeable from certain angles when the light hits it. I’m sure rolliworks does amazing work and is much higher end than the watchmaker I used. Their work collage looks excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Id be willing to bet good money that you will have another scratch on that bad boy within a month. Wait until service time.
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

not to mention the hair lines the PCL's will get! ---- congrats on the pick up though!
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:30 AM   #4
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Wear it. If you want to polish it over that, your watch will disintegrate into nothing by year 5.

Only half kidding. I wouldn’t let it bug you, desk marks, knicks on walls, whatever - will all make scratches worse than that in due time.

Enjoy it!
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I know you don't what to hear this but I'd leave it alone. At least it's not on an edge or a gouge on a polished area so maybe it can be repaired and still look all original.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:37 AM   #6
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Leave the watch as it is now.

If you get the scratch removed you will only get another ding in a week or two.

What will you do then .. Get that one fixed and so on.

The first blemish is always the most painful.

Just enjoy your watch .. its a great watch and don't forget ... its a tool watch even if it is PM.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:40 AM   #7
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I know you don't what to hear this but I'd leave it alone. At least it's not on an edge or a gouge on a polished area so maybe it can be repaired and still look all original.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It's never all original after a polish as the original factory grain is nicer.but that's my preference and I dont like to polish or rebrush I like the dings and dents and scratches and original factory finish from Rolex.even rsc can't replicate the factory finish correctly for Rolex or tudors. La watchworks are good and so are rollli works but the finish is not identical to factory.but they are way better than rsc that makes the sides rounded in most cases
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:40 AM   #8
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Lol if that bothers you just leave it in the safe....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:42 AM   #9
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't call that a ding.....more like a tiny scratch. You need to leave that alone.....no one will laser weld and polish down for that little of a mark....you would just lightly polish it but you'd lose your factory finish no matter how good that person is. Leave it alone.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:45 AM   #10
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
As a fellow Kawasaki rider, I would like to ask that you change your handle name at once to yamarider or suzirider or some such. This kind of OCD behavior is not acceptable in any kawi rider community.

You have answered your own question. if you sent it in, when it comes back, there will be something else that you will be more upset about than the reason you sent it in the first place.

This is a minor thing, leave it alone and wear the watch for a few weeks. OCD or not, you will learn to live with it and pain will lessen with time.

Now about that handle name...

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:47 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go watch Frozen.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:48 AM   #12
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Slide
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:49 AM   #13
mactruck
"TRF" Member

What ding?

Only Ant Man can see that.

Hell, you should have seen my first DeepSea. Gouged the side. Took off a solid 20 grams of metal. That is something you get fixed. I fixed mine by selling it.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:49 AM   #14
OttawaSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
You are correct, you are absolutely crazy.
OttawaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:50 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Oh man, please leave it alone. Wearing it will create more scratches, and probably more serious ones too.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:51 AM   #16
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD MN21, BLRO
That mark is tiny!! Stop looking for it!

You are obsessing and you need to stop for the sake of your enjoyment of the watch and this hobby in general.
petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:55 AM   #17
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Wear it and don’t skimp when you choose a service. Send it to RSC if you want it done sans hair and lint.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 08:57 AM   #18
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Go watch Frozen.
let it go?

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 18 July 2019, 09:01 AM   #19
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballkm21 View Post
Id be willing to bet good money that you will have another scratch on that bad boy within a month. Wait until service time.
This is good advice!

You're likely to receive a lot of sarcastic remarks that actually have good advice at the core despite being negative and condescending. But I have to agree with my fellow New Yorker above.

I am empathic to keeping things in great condition, but you have to enjoy your watch and counting scratches is not the way to enjoy it. I get going to the efforts to make it look new, but if you plan to actually wear the watch, you'll have another scratch just like it.

Wait it out, embrace the character and in several years from now, enjoy what will look and feel like brand new watch after service.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:01 AM   #20
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
As a fellow Kawasaki rider, I would like to ask that you change your handle name at once to yamarider or suzirider or some such. This kind of OCD behavior is not acceptable in any kawi rider community.

You have answered your own question. if you sent it in, when it comes back, there will be something else that you will be more upset about than the reason you sent it in the first place.

This is a minor thing, leave it alone and wear the watch for a few weeks. OCD or not, you will learn to live with it and pain will lessen with time.

Now about that handle name...

Haha! I bought my brand new 2012 zx6r in 2013 as a leftover. A month later I’m riding with a friend and I happened to notice a scratch on the fairing as I was riding. I’m not lying when I say all I could see was that scratch from there on out. When we arrived at my friends house, I asked him for some rubbing compound. When I showed him what it was for he couldn’t stop laughing at me. Your post made me think of that. Definitely do miss that bike. Even with the scratch. Lol

I know I have problems when it comes to that stuff. My fiancée has to yell at me all the time reminding me that nothing is perfect. Now if I can just get that through my thick head.

Old 18 July 2019, 09:04 AM   #21
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Go watch Frozen.

Best advice yet. I guess you guys told me what I already knew. I’ll just learn to deal with it for now and enjoy that blue dial. Thanks

Old 18 July 2019, 09:08 AM   #22
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
If you saw my Bluesy you would be appalled. I like to think that I take very good care of my watches but it happens...
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #23
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Like the Beatles sang..........let it be.
Old 18 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #24
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
You're gonna get little marks like that quite often. I daresay your car has a similar condition. You cannot avoid it and chasing perfection is futile. I have a YG Sub and I swear the thing gets marks sitting in the watchbox!

I know it may be tough but I think you'd be well served to simply accept such marks. As stated above, watch those PCL's get swirled seemingly just by contact with air.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:11 AM   #25
JodyHighroller
Banned

Someone mentioned on here awhile back to stop inspecting your watch at a close level otherwise you’ll always find something wrong. Couldn’t be more accurate imo. Where would you draw the line if you got this fixed and another happened shortly after?

I’m pretty meticulous myself so I can understand, but that scratch can easily be remedied during major service. My Panerai bezel got minor ring damage from a lady friend, and needless to say I was pretty bummed at the time. I put the watch in its case for a few weeks while I wore my other pieces. I eventually started to miss it and was over it once I took it out again to wear. I told myself nothing to stress about as it’ll be sorted during major service. Hope this helps!

Just curious, but any idea of what you came into contact with?
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:14 AM   #26
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
My fiancée has to yell at me all the time reminding me that nothing is perfect.
Now if you start a thread about ^^ this situation ^^ , you will get a lot more sympathy from the rest of us married folks here (and perhaps some life saving advice!)

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 18 July 2019, 09:16 AM   #27
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Just leave it for now

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:18 AM   #28
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Didn't you learn from your past experiences where you sent the watch for something small to only create a bigger problem. Leave it alone and move on!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 09:19 AM   #29
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Someone mentioned on here awhile back to stop inspecting your watch at a close level otherwise you’ll always find something wrong. Couldn’t be more accurate imo. Where would you draw the line if you got this fixed and another happened shortly after?

I’m pretty meticulous myself so I can understand, but that scratch can easily be remedied during major service. My Panerai bezel got minor ring damage from a lady friend, and needless to say I was pretty bummed at the time. I put the watch in its case for a few weeks while I wore my other pieces. I eventually started to miss it and was over it once I took it out again to wear. I told myself nothing to stress about as it’ll be sorted during major service. Hope this helps!

Just curious, but any idea of what you came into contact with?

Honestly, it came like that. I missed it in the pictures and videos because like I said you only see it at certain angles. It was made right by the seller though. He went above and beyond to make it right when he didn’t have to!

Old 18 July 2019, 09:20 AM   #30
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

My next thread to ease my mind(or make it worse) “show me your scratched up watches”. Lol