The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 December 2018, 04:18 AM   #151
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
Dear Jason, I am really happy for you, I am glad that you got your watch back, despite the damages that occurred on the watch, it looks awesome, simple repair for the bracelet will do the job and the bezel needs to be replaced and the case can refinished with special AP laser engraving I don't think that its needs to be replaced unless AP finds something else during diagnosing the watch. congratulations once again, btw I have like yours but blue dial :):)
Thanks, Yazan! Fingers crossed that the watch will be restored and back on my wrist soon! Want to swap for your blue dial? Mine has a better story than yours, I bet! ;)
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 05:48 AM   #152
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Hey Jason, no thanks I love my blue dial, in fact they are getting rare to find too :):). yes your story is one of a kind:)
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #153
jbk45
"TRF" Member

My AP salesperson texted me today to share that they'd be covering the shipping for me both ways - not sure if this is a standard practice, but thoughtful nonetheless as I hadn't requested the courtesy.

I should be getting an update from the SFPD after they meet with the DA next week...I just wish I could get my hands on the watch already and send it out for repairs. Not sure how long it will take AP to fix once they get it but at this rate, I probably won't get to ship it out until the end of this month.

For those who've sent their watches in for service/repairs, what's the typical turnaround time? I know this situation is anything but typical but am curious to have a frame of reference.
Old 8 December 2018, 02:46 PM   #154
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
My AP salesperson texted me today to share that they'd be covering the shipping for me both ways - not sure if this is a standard practice, but thoughtful nonetheless as I hadn't requested the courtesy.

I should be getting an update from the SFPD after they meet with the DA next week...I just wish I could get my hands on the watch already and send it out for repairs. Not sure how long it will take AP to fix once they get it but at this rate, I probably won't get to ship it out until the end of this month.

For those who've sent their watches in for service/repairs, what's the typical turnaround time? I know this situation is anything but typical but am curious to have a frame of reference.
5 weeks for me on my 44 ti and 15202 but neither needed case refinishing. Whatever estimate they give you they will meet or exceed in my experience.
Old 8 December 2018, 09:38 PM   #155
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Funny how someone called OP out over a fictional story. OP has just been hit with a streak of bad luck, and as proven, this story held true from start to finish. I'm happy the watch was recovered in the end...Great detective work by SFPD.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:17 AM   #156
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Congrats on getting your watch back! My father "stole" my 15400ST ruthenium to wear with my permission lol, its an awesome watch!

Normally I would expect Rolex to work after running over by a car, but know AP makes super tough movement's in the 3120 series of movements is pretty cool too :)

Again hope you get it back on your wrist soon, and be careful with your backpack next time ;)
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 02:14 AM   #157
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Funny how someone called OP out over a fictional story. OP has just been hit with a streak of bad luck, and as proven, this story held true from start to finish. I'm happy the watch was recovered in the end...Great detective work by SFPD.
Such a streak but hopefully things are taking a turn now - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
Congrats on getting your watch back! My father "stole" my 15400ST ruthenium to wear with my permission lol, its an awesome watch!

Normally I would expect Rolex to work after running over by a car, but know AP makes super tough movement's in the 3120 series of movements is pretty cool too :)

Again hope you get it back on your wrist soon, and be careful with your backpack next time ;)
Thank you! My watches will be insured and I will be exceptionally more careful with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
5 weeks for me on my 44 ti and 15202 but neither needed case refinishing. Whatever estimate they give you they will meet or exceed in my experience.
Thanks for sharing - I am expecting it might take at least twice as long given what my watch will likely require. But this is helpful to know!
Old 10 December 2018, 03:00 AM   #158
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post

I think this provides proof that AP movements are also tough and durable !!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #159
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I think this provides proof that AP movements are also tough and durable !!

While I hope that’s true, all we know is that OP says the police told him the watch “appears to be ticking”.

But from OP’s pictures, it doesn’t look like the case was run over. Rather, the watch was on the road crown up, with the clasp closed and the bracelet standing vertically. The bracelet was run over, and the weight caused it to collapse, tearing links away and scraping the edge of the bezel against the road.

It will be interesting to see what the damage is after examined by APSC. Seems like the entire bracelet would have been severely stressed, even though it only broke in a few places. But maybe the links are mostly fine and only the internal pins will need to be replaced throughout the bracelet. But at least some of the plots will have to be replaced, and the case would have been damaged where the integrated plots were twisted out.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 03:57 AM   #160
RolexBarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona and Sub
This post just gives me the shakes I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes credit card companys sometimes have insurance. But you won in a seldom way you made all of us watch our watches. It's a sad world!
RolexBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:00 AM   #161
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Maybe they were expecting a tick - not a smooth sweep :)

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 11 December 2018, 06:34 AM   #162
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
While I hope that’s true, all we know is that OP says the police told him the watch “appears to be ticking”.

But from OP’s pictures, it doesn’t look like the case was run over. Rather, the watch was on the road crown up, with the clasp closed and the bracelet standing vertically. The bracelet was run over, and the weight caused it to collapse, tearing links away and scraping the edge of the bezel against the road.

It will be interesting to see what the damage is after examined by APSC. Seems like the entire bracelet would have been severely stressed, even though it only broke in a few places. But maybe the links are mostly fine and only the internal pins will need to be replaced throughout the bracelet. But at least some of the plots will have to be replaced, and the case would have been damaged where the integrated plots were twisted out.
It appears that the bracelet is salvageable but TBD. I also will time the watch when I get it back to see how it's keeping. Should have an update in the next day or so.
Old 12 December 2018, 10:47 AM   #163
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Glad for the recovery of your watch. They can do miracles with damaged watched these days. Hopefully you'll get yours back in like new condition with movement checked and regulated by AP.
Old 13 December 2018, 12:58 PM   #164
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
So glad you got it back. Betting AP can fix it up like new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:10 AM   #165
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

So glad you got your watch back! You should hear my horror story, that also happened in the Bay Area
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:56 AM   #166
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

YES!
Excellent news. I'm so happy they found your watch. If it were me, I would honestly fix the bracelet and wear as is. My gosh that is a heck of a story.
I am sorry this happened to you in any case. Glad they found your watch, and I'm sure AP will take care of it and bring her back beautiful as ever if thats the route you choose to take.

Good luck!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:08 AM   #167
Kamen
"TRF" Member

Just saw this thread. Quite and adventure for sure, but glad you recovered the piece. At least the movement seems okay. The rest is just cosmetic casing and bracelet which should be able to replaced no problem. If it can be solved with money it's not a real problem! Happy holidays!
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:39 AM   #168
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Thanks, all! Appreciate the words of support!

UPDATE:

It looks like it's going to be a while before I get my watch as it's still in an evidence locker pending a decision from the DA. Given that I am seeking whatever restitution I can get from the thief, they can't turn the watch back over to me as it must be preserved as evidence until the case is resolved.

I just don't have more that I can share right now as it's an ongoing investigation but at leas I know that I will be getting it back at some point...and what a glorious day that will be. I am more excited to put this watch on my wrist than in all the years I spent lusting over it before finally buying it.
Old 14 December 2018, 07:40 AM   #169
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoryellow View Post
So glad you got your watch back! You should hear my horror story, that also happened in the Bay Area
Care to share? Hope it had a good ending?
Old 15 December 2018, 05:15 AM   #170
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Care to share? Hope it had a good ending?
Long story short, I was held up at gunpoint for my Journe and two weeks later it was found in Florida (maybe it helps when the watch is rare). Although the three have served/are still serving time, the watch is long gone...
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:12 AM   #171
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Long story short, I was held up at gunpoint for my Journe and two weeks later it was found in Florida (maybe it helps when the watch is rare). Although the three have served/are still serving time, the watch is long gone...
Wow even the thieves have good taste in the bay. Can’t believe they spotted a Journe. Probably weren’t targeting the watch specifically?

In all seriousness I’ve been on the wrong side of a before and it’s not an experience I want again. Glad your alright.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:18 AM   #172
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
JBK, don’t pay attention to the negativity brought up here. Lots of people are brave and smart until something hits them. Just human nature I guess. Bad times, in my experience, do not last. You will swim out, and I am sure if that.

Folks, let’s be civil here. No need to be negative. Let’s help the brother out.
This...well said

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:54 PM   #173
gsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, all! Appreciate the words of support!

UPDATE:

It looks like it's going to be a while before I get my watch as it's still in an evidence locker pending a decision from the DA. Given that I am seeking whatever restitution I can get from the thief, they can't turn the watch back over to me as it must be preserved as evidence until the case is resolved.

I just don't have more that I can share right now as it's an ongoing investigation but at leas I know that I will be getting it back at some point...and what a glorious day that will be. I am more excited to put this watch on my wrist than in all the years I spent lusting over it before finally buying it.
Was this watch stolen or lost and found? I thought you mentioned you dropped the watch from your backpack and then it got run over by a car. What kind of restitution are you asking for?
I am asking this just for my education. If I ever go walking across an airport and found a nice watch on the floor I sure would not like to be called a thieve.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:11 PM   #174
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg View Post
Was this watch stolen or lost and found? I thought you mentioned you dropped the watch from your backpack and then it got run over by a car. What kind of restitution are you asking for?

I am asking this just for my education. If I ever go walking across an airport and found a nice watch on the floor I sure would not like to be called a thieve.

If you handed it in vs. took it home, you wouldn’t be. Finding something does not give ownership.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 16 December 2018, 02:33 PM   #175
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:

If the watch was found in Florida why was it long gone? And the robbers caught? Or did you get the watch back and sold it because of the ad memories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:23 AM   #176
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Very interesting read and glad you found your watch, hope it can be restored to 99% and will make for a good story over the years!
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:11 PM   #177
prwdmd
"TRF" Member

Sorry this happened... I frequently travel with multiple expensive watches on my carry-ons... never had a problem, but I always make a point to double check them anytime after my bag leaves my possession like right after the security line...
prwdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 07:16 AM   #178
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
If you handed it in vs. took it home, you wouldn’t be. Finding something does not give ownership.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
Very interesting read and glad you found your watch, hope it can be restored to 99% and will make for a good story over the years!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
Sorry this happened... I frequently travel with multiple expensive watches on my carry-ons... never had a problem, but I always make a point to double check them anytime after my bag leaves my possession like right after the security line...
Same - I've been doing this for years. Lesson learned to be much more thoughtful, careful and present...and to get insurance!
Old 24 January 2019, 06:14 AM   #179
jbk45
"TRF" Member

UPDATE:

Finally got word back from the DA that they're proceeding with the case charging unlawful appropriation of lost property, California Penal Code Section 485 PC which requires that:

1. The defendant found lost property under circumstances that would give him or her knowledge of who the owner of the property is or means to determine the true owner.

2. The defendant appropriated the lost property for his own use or for the use of another person who is not the true owner.

3. The defendant did not make reasonable efforts to find the original owner or to restore the property to its rightful owner.

I probably won't have resolution on this for another 60-90 days as this case is crawling through the courts. Will share more once I know where things will land.
Old 24 January 2019, 06:54 AM   #180
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
UPDATE:

Finally got word back from the DA that they're proceeding with the case charging unlawful appropriation of lost property, California Penal Code Section 485 PC which requires that:

1. The defendant found lost property under circumstances that would give him or her knowledge of who the owner of the property is or means to determine the true owner.

2. The defendant appropriated the lost property for his own use or for the use of another person who is not the true owner.

3. The defendant did not make reasonable efforts to find the original owner or to restore the property to its rightful owner.

I probably won't have resolution on this for another 60-90 days as this case is crawling through the courts. Will share more once I know where things will land.
You found the watch, why not just wear it? It wasn't stolen, you dropped it yourself.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote