The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2018, 05:05 AM   #61
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712a,5170P,5980R,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This is a piece you buy to keep. Resale on 5170 has been very soft. I expect the P will be no different. Saw an unworn advertised at 79 which sold. Who knows what that dealer paid for that piece and what it actually sold for. But that tells hard cash on the piece is a ways below 79K.
Correct, which is why the ding is bothering me. It’s a piece to keep for a very long time. Didn’t want to see a ding a week later after purchasing lol.
Grey dealers used to sell it last year for 60-65k. Prices have gone up and I believe it will be a piece that will go above its retail. Just my belief
SimpleMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:27 AM   #62
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The sensible thing to do now is to enjoy and have Patek deal with it at service if it still bothers you by then IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:37 AM   #63
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan91 View Post
Correct, which is why the ding is bothering me. It’s a piece to keep for a very long time. Didn’t want to see a ding a week later after purchasing lol.
Grey dealers used to sell it last year for 60-65k. Prices have gone up and I believe it will be a piece that will go above its retail. Just my belief
You got me curious,... why do you think this piece goes above msrp? I understand the 5070 with the Lemania movement.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 05:45 AM   #64
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a piece you buy to keep. Resale on 5170 has been very soft. I expect the P will be no different. Saw an unworn advertised at 79 which sold. Who knows what that dealer paid for that piece and what it actually sold for. But that tells hard cash on the piece is a ways below 79K.

It’s an ocd thing, maybe you can’t relate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 07:18 AM   #65
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The sensible thing to do now is to enjoy and have Patek deal with it at service if it still bothers you by then IMO.
A) I completely agree. The damage is done (unfortunately), so might as well wear it stress free, at least until service.

B) This is a sobering reality check for me as I sometimes daydream about swapping my platinum chrono + cash for a beautiful 5170P. With a watch like that (probably over my head), I guess you have to be willing to deal with stuff like this. It's like taking a Ferrari to the track -- you have to be willing to accept the possible consequences.

That said, this really sucks, and I completely feel OP's pain. I do think it remains the most beautiful watch out there, even with a tiny ding.
Old 9 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #66
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Wow, if you could buy this new issue low production watch unworn for 60K, the dress pm complicated watch market is far worse than I had thought.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 07:38 AM   #67
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, if you could buy this new issue low production watch unworn for 60K, the dress pm complicated watch market is far worse than I had thought.

It got A LOT BETTER over the past 12 months. The cycle will turn and people will get bored of seeing nautilus and aquanauts all day everyday on Social media (if not already). I used to be obsessed with nautilus and aquanauts. Now I enjoy 5070’s, 5170’s, 5270’s ,5320g’s etc. Its a cycle.
And I’m a 30 year old... Age is just a number now. Watches on leather straps are no longer for
I make sure to wear my 5170P with sweat pants and T shirt/sweaters/hoodies

Old 9 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #68
Burlington
"TRF" Member

70 weeks really is ridiculously long for any kind of post sale needs. Cosmetic, mechanical or otherwise.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities for PP, but it must not be that much of a big deal for them to shorten it.

Don’t let that tiny ding ruin your enjoyment of that beautiful watch though.

Nowhere near the same level of piece, but after my first few little knocks and scrapes on my AP (first one self inflicted on day 2) then I have stopped even thinking about normal use cosmetic damage and it doesn’t look the worse for a few marks.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 08:38 AM   #69
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
70 weeks really is ridiculously long for any kind of post sale needs. Cosmetic, mechanical or otherwise.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities for PP, but it must not be that much of a big deal for them to shorten it.

Don’t let that tiny ding ruin your enjoyment of that beautiful watch though.

Nowhere near the same level of piece, but after my first few little knocks and scrapes on my AP (first one self inflicted on day 2) then I have stopped even thinking about normal use cosmetic damage and it doesn’t look the worse for a few marks.

The 70 weeks is because now is apparently busy season. Patek can polish the watch but they said it will ruin the sharp edges. The laser welding option is only in Geneva which will take Approx 70 weeks because of how busy they are.

Old 9 December 2018, 08:45 AM   #70
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Giving it another try

Old 9 December 2018, 09:02 AM   #71
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Giving it another try

Excellent!
Old 9 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #72
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Don’t sweat it. Once I know a watch is a long term keeper, I’m less concerned about scratches and dings.
Old 9 December 2018, 10:01 AM   #73
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
This really sucks, gutted for you. I would not let anyone but Patek fix it for you though, no matter how good they might be.

Objectively, the ding isn’t that bad, so maybe try and get over it. I’d probably feel the same as you if it was my watch though.

70 weeks to fix it is ridiculous. Is there any way they can schedule your repair but allow you to send it in, say at the start of 2020? Probably unlikely, but maybe worth a shot.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 11:11 AM   #74
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This happened way too soon...

I think Seth (superdog) said it best...

Fix it and it’ll happen again.
Don’t and it’ll happen again.

But if you want to have a perfect bezel...

And don’t want to risk an indie botching the laser weld + polishing...

Nor want to wait 70 weeks for PP Geneva to laser weld it perfectly...

And don’t want to blow $20K on a flip for another new one...

Just squint and bear it. From 50” under normal lighting nobody knows.

You have your dream watch and it will predictably get some extra character within another month anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 11:21 AM   #75
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
They should give you a loaner. Tell them this watch is essential for you daily activities.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 11:39 AM   #76
msma
Banned

Only adds a little character, don't stress it.
msma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 12:07 PM   #77
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
70 weeks is a complete disgrace IMHO.
Old 9 December 2018, 12:13 PM   #78
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
70 weeks is a complete disgrace IMHO.

I think it’s one way to dissuade owners from that type of repair IMHO.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 12:17 PM   #79
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think it’s one way to dissuade owners from that type of repair IMHO.

I don’t think so. I think they would want to make us (Patek owner’s happy). She said usually it’s a lot less but now is their busy season.

Going to try to live with it for now. It’s only annoying me because there’s a black shadow there since it’s a ding not a scratch. Hard to explain lol

Old 9 December 2018, 01:58 PM   #80
Burlington
"TRF" Member

This happened way too soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
They should give you a loaner. Tell them this watch is essential for you daily activities.

Haha I like this idea.

Most seasons last about 3 months. Not 1.5 years, so a ‘busy season’ explanation isn’t really great. Unless they are saying that particular resource is fully jobbed out until mid 2020 already.

That’s enough time to recruit and train new staff, order new equipment etc. to cut down waiting times for this type of repair.

It’s all about priorities - if they wanted to, they could fix it next week. But there is something else more pressing for them for the next 17 months (new watch manufacture, other customers already in the queue, warranty repairs, VVIP customers jumping the queue etc.)

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:17 AM   #81
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
1) Did they give you an estimate of how much they would charge to laser weld platinum?

2) Why don't they have you pay a deposit for the service to keep your place in line and then have you send it in a month before they think they would be ready to fix it? Doesn't seem like it helps anyone to have 70 weeks of watch inventory sitting in their giant safe just waiting to be repaired in a year.
Old 10 December 2018, 12:22 AM   #82
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
1) Did they give you an estimate of how much they would charge to laser weld platinum?

2) Why don't they have you pay a deposit for the service to keep your place in line and then have you send it in a month before they think they would be ready to fix it? Doesn't seem like it helps anyone to have 70 weeks of watch inventory sitting in their giant safe just waiting to be repaired in a year.
1- Nope they said Patek needs to first see it. They couldn't give me an estimate on the spot. They said it won't be cheap. Didn't expect it to be lol..

2-That would be a good idea
Old 10 December 2018, 02:17 AM   #83
flyboyx999
"TRF" Member

don't sweat it, enjoy it. I use to be OCD on watches but realised i was not really enjoying it as much. now i wear my 5170P in rotation with jeans/tshirt
flyboyx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:42 AM   #84
yoast
"TRF" Member

70 weeks?? I thought you weer joking...
It takes a few hours to fix this with laser welding. Makes one wonder what they are doing the other 69 weeks 6 days and change with the watch? Just put in into the drawer and wait until the welding fairy is ready?
They can just call you when its ready to be fixed? Utterly ridiculous...
Old 10 December 2018, 12:17 PM   #85
Ton91
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain. From your topic on the previous 5170P, I don't think you can get over this ding. I'm sure that LAWW can fix this and if you're not happy with the result then flip it.
Ton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:17 PM   #86
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I felt bad after the first ding in my 5327, then after the next two I don’t really care anymore. I knew I would never be getting rid of that watch and, in a strange but comforting way, the dings make the piece unique to you now. Kind of a strange bonding with it but now ya know your 5170p is not going to be the same as any other

At the end of the day it’s just a watch, and while it’s something we people enjoy very much, dings, scratches, etc. are going to happen. Just gotta live with it!

Also, almost nothing is worth a Patek service wait time except the required maintenance :D
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:24 PM   #87
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton91 View Post
I feel your pain. From your topic on the previous 5170P, I don't think you can get over this ding. I'm sure that LAWW can fix this and if you're not happy with the result then flip it.

Can’t flip. The loss would be too deep. Deeper then the ding lol.
LAWW asked me for photos. I emailed them they never responded.
I’m going tomorrow to a guy that specialized only in RM and Pateks only. Going to see what he says *

Old 10 December 2018, 12:28 PM   #88
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWazo View Post
I felt bad after the first ding in my 5327, then after the next two I don’t really care anymore. I knew I would never be getting rid of that watch and, in a strange but comforting way, the dings make the piece unique to you now. Kind of a strange bonding with it but now ya know your 5170p is not going to be the same as any other

At the end of the day it’s just a watch, and while it’s something we people enjoy very much, dings, scratches, etc. are going to happen. Just gotta live with it!

Also, almost nothing is worth a Patek service wait time except the required maintenance :D

I’m trying to accept it. I promise lol! My OCD is destroying me hahahahah. I know I sound crazy. But I have an obsession. My cars, clothes, watches, etc. everything is like soldiers. Clean, and brand new! Don’t get me wrong I’m not like a museum, I enjoy my pieces, eat and make a mess in my car, off road in the Range BUT I clean it right after. I’m trying to clean this ding and scratch but it won’t rub off
It’s a family thing. My father is the same way.

Old 10 December 2018, 12:29 PM   #89
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
70 weeks?? I thought you weer joking...

It takes a few hours to fix this with laser welding. Makes one wonder what they are doing the other 69 weeks 6 days and change with the watch? Just put in into the drawer and wait until the welding fairy is ready?

They can just call you when its ready to be fixed? Utterly ridiculous...

Unfortunately no. It’s like what everyone has been saying. 69 weeks and 6 days in the safe, 1 day to work on LOL.

Old 10 December 2018, 12:34 PM   #90
SimpleMan91
"TRF" Member

One thing I’ve realized from watch collecting over the years. Rolex is THE ONLY watch brand that still looks good beat up. Patek and AP look horrible.