The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 27 February 2019, 07:47 AM   #1
ndls
"TRF" Member

Looking for Grand Seiko SBGA211 AKA "Snowflake"

Hey all,

I'm really getting interested in a Grand Seiko, and the SBGA211 Snowflake is a thing of beauty. I was wondering, are these hard to come by? Are my chances of getting this in Japan in the next month nearly impossible?

I'm so use to the Rolex shortage - I feel like I don't know any other way lol

Any help is appreciated!

-N
ndls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 08:14 AM   #2
venom79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndls View Post
Hey all,

I'm really getting interested in a Grand Seiko, and the SBGA211 Snowflake is a thing of beauty. I was wondering, are these hard to come by? Are my chances of getting this in Japan in the next month nearly impossible?

I'm so use to the Rolex shortage - I feel like I don't know any other way lol

Any help is appreciated!

-N

I was in the same boat when I travelled to japan in December last year, didn’t know what was going to happen when I started visiting Watch shops looking for a snowflake and a sbgh267.

I will tell you very briefly what I found. If you look at discount stores like yodobashi and Bic camera, please don’t lose your time, you are not going to find any limited edition mall nor snowflakes. I visited around 10 different stores of this kind and none had any special models.

I only found snowflakes in second hand luxury resellers and in boutique/AD shops. In the first one you are going to have the best prices and will receive depending on the Watch year of warranty activation both manufacturer warranty and/or shop warranty.

In the AD you are not going to receive any type of discount, but you will definitely find the Watch and receive great treatment. Only discount will be tax free which is 8% and won’t be added to your final bill if you only visit japan for less than 3 months a year.

Please be free to ask any other questions.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
venom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 08:21 AM   #3
ndls
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom79 View Post
I was in the same boat when I travelled to japan in December last year, didn’t know what was going to happen when I started visiting Watch shops looking for a snowflake and a sbgh267.

I will tell you very briefly what I found. If you look at discount stores like yodobashi and Bic camera, please don’t lose your time, you are not going to find any limited edition mall nor snowflakes. I visited around 10 different stores of this kind and none had any special models.

I only found snowflakes in second hand luxury resellers and in boutique/AD shops. In the first one you are going to have the best prices and will receive depending on the Watch year of warranty activation both manufacturer warranty and/or shop warranty.

In the AD you are not going to receive any type of discount, but you will definitely find the Watch and receive great treatment. Only discount will be tax free which is 8% and won’t be added to your final bill if you only visit japan for less than 3 months a year.

Please be free to ask any other questions.

Thank you kindly for your insight.

I had a feeling that it would be a hard model to come by - I’ve called a few ADs in my area and it seems like they can order it in - it would just be nice to get it in Japan at a discounted rate. Does Narita have duty free at their airport?

I wouldn’t mind second hand from Japan, as I fee they would have the most selection.

I’m willing to wait it out and take my chances. Sounds a little like the Rolex SS game lol.

Thanks again!
Old 27 February 2019, 08:31 AM   #4
venom79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you kindly for your insight.

I had a feeling that it would be a hard model to come by - I’ve called a few ADs in my area and it seems like they can order it in - it would just be nice to get it in Japan at a discounted rate. Does Narita have duty free at their airport?

I wouldn’t mind second hand from Japan, as I fee they would have the most selection.

I’m willing to wait it out and take my chances. Sounds a little like the Rolex SS game lol.

Thanks again!

There is one seiko store at terminal 2 narita. But prices are not that great, and since you can pay tax free almost anywhere in Tokyo with your passport it is not worth it.

My recommendation is go directly to the seiko flagship store in ginza or the watch shop at wako (department store) at ginza, you will definitely find it and I think the price is better (620,000 yen no taxes which is around $5,600) after Fx to usd compared to USA seiko AD ($5,800 plus taxes).

Old 27 February 2019, 10:29 AM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
There is one seiko store at terminal 2 narita. But prices are not that great, and since you can pay tax free almost anywhere in Tokyo with your passport it is not worth it.

My recommendation is go directly to the seiko flagship store in ginza or the watch shop at wako (department store) at ginza, you will definitely find it and I think the price is better (620,000 yen no taxes which is around $5,600) after Fx to usd compared to USA seiko AD ($5,800 plus taxes).

I got my snowflake bnib from a US AD at less than 5.8k after taxes. Of course, I bought another watch at the same time, which I'm sure helped.
Old 27 February 2019, 10:41 AM   #6
venom79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I got my snowflake bnib from a US AD at less than 5.8k after taxes. Of course, I bought another watch at the same time, which I'm sure helped.

I got mine brand new in box for $4.8k but the same history as you, I also bought a sbgh267 so I got discount for both. In a shibuya Watch shop called house kihiroba that I highly recommend. It helped that I bought from them in the past as well.

Old 27 February 2019, 03:20 PM   #7
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I noticed you are in Vancouver did you check with Rodeo jewellers in Oakridge mall. I got mine from them last year with a small discount. I’ve checked prices in the states it’s actually a little cheaper buying locally after the exchange and import taxes. Ask for Raz he’s a good guy.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 04:18 PM   #8
ndls
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
I noticed you are in Vancouver did you check with Rodeo jewellers in Oakridge mall. I got mine from them last year with a small discount. I’ve checked prices in the states it’s actually a little cheaper buying locally after the exchange and import taxes. Ask for Raz he’s a good guy.
Hey there,

I actually checked out the gold version today and he was great to talk to. I bought my Speedmaster from them (with a very fair discount).

I will be going to them if I can’t find anything in Japan

Really appreciate the help!
Old 27 February 2019, 08:23 PM   #9
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey there,

I actually checked out the gold version today and he was great to talk to. I bought my Speedmaster from them (with a very fair discount).

I will be going to them if I can’t find anything in Japan

Really appreciate the help!
From my own experience, the shortage we have become accustomed to with Rolex isn't the same even on the deemed special or higher demand pieces like the snowflake. Anytime I have walked into an AD in the UK/Japan there's pretty much always been one in the display cabinet. Refreshing to be able to see, try and actually buy mostly any item you want! Can't see you struggling to find one tbh.
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:36 AM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:

The Snowflake, and certain other models, are limited solely to Master Shops and the Boutiques. The likes of BIC and so forth, only have access to the non-Master Shop pieces.
Outside of Japan, the Snowflake is just another Grand Seiko, which any authorised GS dealer can obtain.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:00 AM   #11
bkdc
"TRF" Member

SBGA211 is definitely not difficult to find in the USA. There were many many available when I purchased mine last year (and will be selling on eBay soon). I'm not sure why you'd like to purchase it in Japan instead of in Canada or US authorized seller. I don't think the pricing will be any better in Japan. I did enjoy the GS selection at WAKO in Ginza.
bkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:27 AM   #12
ndls
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
SBGA211 is definitely not difficult to find in the USA. There were many many available when I purchased mine last year (and will be selling on eBay soon). I'm not sure why you'd like to purchase it in Japan instead of in Canada or US authorized seller. I don't think the pricing will be any better in Japan. I did enjoy the GS selection at WAKO in Ginza.
It's more that I thought there may be really good used ones. Plus, they are scarce in my part of town unless I order one directly.

We'll see though!
Old 1 March 2019, 06:48 AM   #13
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
http://www.takuyawatches.com/product...-complete-set/
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:05 AM   #14
venom79
"TRF" Member

LNIB Grand Seiko SBGA211 Snowflake Full Set 2019