The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2011, 02:13 PM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'd rather Rolex spend money on enhancing their line, rather than spending more money on boxes and such, which undoubtedly add to the cost of the watch, without any improvement of the the watch at all.

If I want a fancy box, there are plenty of places to buy a fancy box.

Keep the superfluous expenses out of the equation.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:19 PM   #32
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I would settle on less box and less cost myself.

That said, if I could figure a way to strap a Vacheron Constantin box to my wrist I would. That curved wood box is gorgeous.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
I agree. Better presentation boxes would add to the feeling of luxury and quality. Just don't raise the prices again to pay for them.
Old 9 August 2011, 02:31 PM   #34
aelian

Storage space filled with empty watch boxes? Leather watch satchels perfect for carrying a passport?

How does that packaging look on your wrist?
aelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:46 PM   #35
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
I know prices of rolex are sky high these days I read a thread yesterday about the new daytona ceramic rose gold on a leather strap for 27k thats getting up into the relms of JLC, PP, Vacheron, A Lang and Sohne. My problem is not so much with the actual watches rolex produce but rather the presentation. If they expect people to be paying in the top tier for a Rolex they need to present these watches in a wooden box such as PP. When my father bought his PP the packaging the detailing of the box screamed that you have something extremely special i believe rolex needs to follow in the same footsteps starting with their boxes. Another thing i see PP doing is a Patek magazine that you get when you purchase their watches. Just makes you feel like you are in a special club of owners. Sorry for the rant but I feel with these sky high prices lately i want some more value.
But.. It will encourage people to chop down more trees! That is not very good for earth. I rather have a recycle paper bag for my rolex. Honestly. James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:47 PM   #36
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
I think everyone is getting away from the point here. David(OP) was just using the box as an example, and he's RIGHT. I mean come on, you all know they could do a little better with their presentation, it's a marketing ploy anyhow, and Rolex is awesome at marketing. I could really care less, in the end it's about the quality of the watch/product. However, this is Rolex we're talking about. They are KING. Don't take advantage of your loyal customers just cause you can. At least throw us a bone and make the box flasher, include a t-shirt, subscribe us to a Rolex magazine, throw me a freaking Rolex keychain for all I care.

I'm pretty sure the OP is not talking about the box... Just an example, and I couldn't agree with him more. I think he makes a valid point. Regardless, we will continue to lust after their timepieces we want, but that doesn't mean they can't continue to push the bar in all ways.
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 02:59 PM   #37
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post
I think everyone is getting away from the point here. David(OP) was just using the box as an example, and he's RIGHT. I mean come on, you all know they could do a little better with their presentation, it's a marketing ploy anyhow, and Rolex is awesome at marketing. I could really care less, in the end it's about the quality of the watch/product. However, this is Rolex we're talking about. They are KING. Don't take advantage of your loyal customers just cause you can. At least throw us a bone and make the box flasher, include a t-shirt, subscribe us to a Rolex magazine, throw me a freaking Rolex keychain for all I care.

I'm pretty sure the OP is not talking about the box... Just an example, and I couldn't agree with him more. I think he makes a valid point. Regardless, we will continue to lust after their timepieces we want, but that doesn't mean they can't continue to push the bar in all ways.
Thank you!
Btw hongninja (Brandon) I am staying at orange tree in scottsdale this week we should grab a beer and talk watches ( I believe I am picking up a yachtmaster and a daytona this week from a gent down here)
Old 9 August 2011, 03:06 PM   #38
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
The old Rolex boxes were much better.....the new ones w/ the wave design, IMHO, look cheap.
can't agree more! Dr.
skyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 04:39 PM   #39
gtb5

I only buy used so box doesn't matter.
gtb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 04:55 PM   #40
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well speaking for myself have never been interesting in any packaging box or any of the other marketing stuff with watches.The most important to me is the watch and not a box the watch you wear the box well perhaps you just store that away somewhere.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 06:20 PM   #41
magic_johnson
"TRF" Member

I agree!!! Even my Breitling Super Avenger came with a leather travel box that fits nicely into the actual box.. Great touch i thought and at a fraction of the cost of my DJii... Still, Rolex are like porsche in a way.. they hit the nail on the head years ago (like Porsche did with the 911) and have been doing it the same way with only slight tweaks ever since... Simply because ITS BRILLIANT!!! lol
magic_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 07:38 PM   #42
The Laird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I would actually like Rolex to come back down to Earth for once. Rolex used to be known as as exceptionally reliable and robust watch - expensive but not ridiculously so.

They have now raised their prices so much that people are asking, quite rightly, what do they actually get for the extra cash. The answer is not much - no fancy whistles and bells such as you might get with a Patek Phillipe - and nothing extra on the watches which, apart from a few retrograde external design changes, are internally pretty much the same as they have been for the past 50 years.

When Rolex just concentrated on making first class classic watches and charging a reasonably high but not exorbitant price for them, consumers had no need to question the packaging or whether or not the watch came with any extras.
Hi,

I think I have to say that I agree with the first two lines also.

Till next time...

The Laird

Vintage Rolex Group Member
James Bond Watches Member
The Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 08:38 PM   #43
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I would actually like Rolex to come back down to Earth for once. Rolex used to be known as as exceptionally reliable and robust watch - expensive but not ridiculously so.

They have now raised their prices so much that people are asking, quite rightly, what do they actually get for the extra cash. The answer is not much - no fancy whistles and bells such as you might get with a Patek Phillipe - and nothing extra on the watches which, apart from a few retrograde external design changes, are internally pretty much the same as they have been for the past 50 years.

When Rolex just concentrated on making first class classic watches and charging a reasonably high but not exorbitant price for them, consumers had no need to question the packaging or whether or not the watch came with any extras.
What he said.
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 09:39 PM   #44
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well speaking for myself have never been interesting in any packaging box or any of the other marketing stuff with watches.The most important to me is the watch and not a box the watch you wear the box well perhaps you just store that away somewhere.
I'm with Padi on this. The box and all the accompanying finery doesn't interest me as much as the actual watch itself.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 10:15 PM   #45
Freedom fighter

Watch: SS yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Hi everyone,

If i am buying a watch which is over 5k then i want a whole package. Would you be happy if your watch came in a plastic pouch with no box at all? i doubt it..when we spend our hard earned we expect quality.. only my opinion
Freedom fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 10:48 PM   #46
Vernal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
When I went shopping for my watch they could have put it in a plastic bag for all I cared. I didn't buy it for the packaging, although I wish I could have gotten the anchor!
Vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 12:14 AM   #47
herdinoh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
Couldn't agree with you more!
+1. The fact is Omega wants to become another Rolex. Rolex wants to be next PP. so what PP wants to be? who knows.
herdinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:33 AM   #48
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post

just to share.. free gifts from my recent purchase from rolex boutique. mind you, they gave me two pen and two key ring thingy.. i only kept one set from them. cheers! .. jennifer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0973.jpg (50.1 KB, 26 views)
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote