The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

Keeping time - Datejust II

Hi all -

So a few weeks ago I bought a Datejust II from a trusted seller. Watch looks and feels great - originally bought in 2016 and it was sold to me with warranty card and everything. 116300.

The problem appears that it's not holding time in the power reserve. I wore it every day this week and put it on the shelf yesterday at around 5pm like I do every day. Woke up this morning and went to work, didn't wear it. Got home, and it looks like it stopped around 7 am. Am I missing anything or could it be a defect? Should I send it to RSC and just hope it isn't fake? Based on the seller feedback I have high confidence it's legit, just maybe a fluke in the build?

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
Azpathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 11:49 AM   #2
BradTrinh24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I would send it to RSC.
BradTrinh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 11:58 AM   #3
blue16613
Banned

As long as you had an "active" week and were not super sedentary each day, it probably needs to be looked at...... If it was a slow week, activity wise, I'd give it a full wind, wear it for several active days and then see what kind of power reserve it has.

If part of the deal with your "trusted seller" was that you were getting a valid, intact Rolex warranty, the RSC is definitely the place to go.

If the RSC questions the warranty, or the watch itself, you need to let the "trusted seller" know immediately. Part of being "trusted" is that these sellers will step up and own issues like this one if there are any problems with the RSC.

In fact, I think I'd give the "trusted seller" a head's up on what is happening and your plan.

Good luck and please let us know.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I know this may be a stupid question (but I've seen it before) did you fully wind the watch since you received it? (40 full crown rotations)
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

Not sure what active means (in this context) I work in an office. And I did wind last week when I thought it might just be requiring a break-in period. I'll certainly let the seller know and thanks for the suggestions!
Old 8 April 2017, 12:43 PM   #6
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azpathfinder View Post
Not sure what active means (in this context) I work in an office. And I did wind last week when I thought it might just be requiring a break-in period. I'll certainly let the seller know and thanks for the suggestions!
Fully wound? 40 full turns minimum. You can't overwind so don't worry.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

I'll try again ... I know I wound it but can't confirm it was 40+...
Old 8 April 2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I'd check it a few times before I sent it to RSC. On occasion I'll have one stop when unworn and strike me as being too soon. I think desk diving wear sometimes may not be active enough to keep it adequately wound to get the most out of the reserve.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 09:11 PM   #9
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
I don't take my watch off unless I'm doing something that can destroy it - like on a skate board or when i have to get in between the brake calipers on the 997 to get the grime out while detailing it.

Why do you take your watch off at 5pm? Do you not need to know the time once you're home?

I'm me, but I don't get it. Guys take it off to sleep, take it off to shower.

Weird, baby. Off the wrist it's either going to get broken or stolen. You choose.

From safe to wrist, from wrist to safe.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 09:30 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi all -

So a few weeks ago I bought a Datejust II from a trusted seller. Watch looks and feels great - originally bought in 2016 and it was sold to me with warranty card and everything. 116300.

The problem appears that it's not holding time in the power reserve. I wore it every day this week and put it on the shelf yesterday at around 5pm like I do every day. Woke up this morning and went to work, didn't wear it. Got home, and it looks like it stopped around 7 am. Am I missing anything or could it be a defect? Should I send it to RSC and just hope it isn't fake? Based on the seller feedback I have high confidence it's legit, just maybe a fluke in the build?

Just because you are wearing it does not mean you are winding it if not active enough.All watches should be fully manually wound up to start wearing,thats 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Now after a full manual wind off the wrist movement should run between 40-48 hours off the wrist.And even when worn no problem to give it a manual wind say once a week just to keep power reserve at full power.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 11:11 PM   #11
karmatp
"TRF" Member

No offence, is this your first mechanical watch? My 1st impression is that the watch is fine, it probably was not wound fully to start and it is sitting for long periods of time letting the power reserve wind down.

Even if you wear it daily you are still letting it wind down for 10 hrs at night. I don't know how active you are, but you are probably just maintaining to reserve, not building it up when you are at your desk.

Even if I wear a watch daily, I will still give it a full wind once a week just to sure the reserve is full.
Old 9 April 2017, 12:04 AM   #12
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

No offense taken at all, I appreciate all of the input. Yep, this is my first mechanical watch and I'm probably just not active enough. I just wound it like 60 times and I'm going to leave it over the weekend and see how long it lasts. You might be right about not filling the reserve during the week. As for why I take it off at night, not sure - part of it is the clean factor (playing with the dogs, cooking, messing around outside) and part of it is work detox. Whatever I'm wearing at work that day I like to change as quickly as possible to have a bit of a positive mind shift. I know, that sounds lame, but for me it helps. If I wear the watch on the weekend that's one thing but it's almost a daily reset.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, this is a great community...!
Old 9 April 2017, 12:15 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Hi all -

So a few weeks ago I bought a Datejust II from a trusted seller.

Should I send it to RSC and just hope it isn't fake?

You have doubts about the watch's authenticity?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 12:42 AM   #14
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
You have doubts about the watch's authenticity?
Not really... feels right, and an AD already helped me remove a link and they didn't bat an eye as to its authenticity.
Old 10 April 2017, 10:11 PM   #15
Azpathfinder
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it was probably an overreaction on my part. I wound it 60-70 times or so and left it on the nightstand over the weekend ... it's going 40 hours straight at the moment, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks all!