The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2017, 10:48 PM   #1
willieb83
"TRF" Member

Rolex Milgauss Question

Looking at the modern Rolex Milgauss (2008-2016) am I right in assuming that the Black dial (non GV) was the least popular given it was discontinued in 2013 while the white went on until 2016? Any reasonable guesses as to the production sizes in both dials?

On this basis, the non GV black dial is likely to be the most collectible in years to come....thoughts?
willieb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:20 PM   #2
esscaster
"TRF" Member

no idea on production numbers, but i would say that that your assumption is accurate in my opinion. The non GV black dial is certainly the variation of the milgauss i see the least on forums at least, but that's not to say non-Rolex enthusiasts out in the real world haven't bought tons of them.

of course, that stating, non-Rolex people wanting a Rolex wouldn't necessarily go for the Milgauss I'm thinking. I think you're onto something...
esscaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:23 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The "most" collectible? No. Maybe a bit, in 25 years or so. Still see them languishing in AD windows here.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:29 PM   #4
willieb83
"TRF" Member

sorry most collectible was probably a little dramatic but I meant most collectible of the re-issued Milgauss.

Working on the premise that Rolex produces around 900k-1m watches a year and a majority would be the staples like GMT's, Datejusts and Submariners, one would assume the majority of Milgauss' would be the GV while the non GVs sat in AD shops unsold.

Add into the mix that the black Milgauss was only made for 3 years and I imagine the total number to be very low in the grand scheme of things...

Unless people think I might be totally wrong!!
Old 10 April 2017, 11:32 PM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
There are regional variations. They sold well in the middle east before they were discontinued (GV is currently the #3 seller in Dubai according to AD there).

If you're looking for 1019 or 6541 collectability (value) from these watches, you are likely better off investing the money in lottery tickets.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:33 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb83 View Post

Unless people think I might be totally wrong!!
I have no idea if you are right or wrong.

In the grand scheme of things I think it is not worth the effort to analyze.

How long are you willing to wait for a watch to become desired above the supply?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Still doubtful, but stranger things have happened. The first GV was selling for 2x retail when it was first released, even more marked up than the SS Ceramic Daytona is now, when people thought it was limited edition.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 11:38 PM   #8
willieb83
"TRF" Member

I dont think you will see that value. the 1019 and 6541 were only made in the 100s (or so we are led to believe) and are likely to keep climbing in value but you may see a small increase in 20 years time from the non GV Milgauss no?
Old 10 April 2017, 11:41 PM   #9
willieb83
"TRF" Member

Either way, the non GV are still trading at a reasonable price (relative to RRP) now and if you like it (as I do) it may be worth a punt in the hope future generations may reap the benefits.
Old 10 April 2017, 11:46 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb83 View Post
I dont think you will see that value. the 1019 and 6541 were only made in the 100s (or so we are led to believe) and are likely to keep climbing in value but you may see a small increase in 20 years time from the non GV Milgauss no?
Rarity does not correlate directly to collectability or value. Just because there aren't that many 116400 black dials compared to other modern references doesn't mean they will become collectable later.

If you love the watch, buy it because it's a great watch. But, I think speculating on future collectability on this reference is a bad bet. There are better ways to invest your money.

Gratuitous image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milgauss crop.jpg (147.6 KB, 232 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:07 AM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
^^ Totally agree. And, nice shot!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:12 AM   #12
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I think the milgauss is great and is on my list. I will get one, but am saving my pennies as I want a SS skydweller, and a sub, and a sea dweller,, and a daydate and a .................?....?........

Last edited by Bob the brush; 11 April 2017 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Predictive text typos
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:22 AM   #13
teo
"TRF" Member

Here is mine. The white knight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4757.jpg (63.4 KB, 203 views)
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:22 AM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Unpopular does not equal rare. Hundreds of thousands were made over its lifespan. I think it's a great looking watch like the rest of the Milgauss collection. I don't see it ever being any more hard to come by than any discontinued Rolex. I mean someday even a 16610 will be hard to come by if the timeline is long enough.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:31 AM   #15
teo
"TRF" Member

How many white dial sport Rolex are there? Only 3 types. Now one discontinued. Left daytona and explorer 2. Not much choices.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote