The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2017, 09:44 PM   #31
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Wonder how much the platinum half link is
Pretty sure they won't charge if you've just purchased the piece new from an AD.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 10:00 PM   #32
unknown
"TRF" Member

for the price of the P you can get a much better watch
The price of just the material is just insane
its nice but if you think twice there are better watches for the price
Look around and it will be very close to a 5970 ... case closed
Old 14 May 2017, 10:36 PM   #33
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I'm surprised you think those that purchased a 5711P didn't consider what else is available for the money - I still chose the 5711P... case closed.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 10:48 PM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Pretty sure they won't charge if you've just purchased the piece new from an AD.
They made me buy my 1/2 link but that was for the bargain ss model
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 11:17 PM   #35
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I'm surprised you think those that purchased a 5711P didn't consider what else is available for the money - I still chose the 5711P... case closed.

2 Part decision

5711 a watch one could wear as daily, in the shower or in the ocean. If putting that much into a watch it is a bonus in being able to wear it everyday vs not, that adds great value. Although with such exclusivity and rarity I'm not certain that would be the common use of the watch?

Then again, I Agree That movements are also especially important to me, based on that point I couldn't agree more that a 5970 (or 5070P) would be a more horological significant choice overall. Lemania vs 324, Lemania wins for me every time.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #36
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
2 Part decision

5711 a watch one could wear as daily, in the shower or in the ocean. If putting that much into a watch it is a bonus in being able to wear it everyday vs not, that adds great value. Although with such exclusivity and rarity I'm not certain that would be the common use of the watch?

Then again, I Agree That movements are also especially important to me, based on that point I couldn't agree more that a 5970 (or 5070P) would be a more horological significant choice overall. Lemania vs 324, Lemania wins for me every time.
Of course you can't compare a lemania, or modern hand wound 5370-5270 movement with a 324. For me the 5711P is for those who really love Nautilus models, want the best Nautilus out there, and for which spending 100k on it isn't a problem, again I really hesitated getting one, but paying 5 times the price just to have the same watch in PT, with a nicer blue and diamonds (prefer without) seemed insane, for the same kind of cash went for a unique piece Voutilainen, probably seems insane to most people as well, but for me having a specially made time keeper just for me, from one of the greatest watch makers alive seemed more interesting, not even to mention the amazing 2-3 months of daily talks with my friend Dimitry about each detail of the watch, but buying a SS time and date only watch for over 20k like my 5711 will seem insane to 99.9% of the population, not to mention those who buy them for way more money on the grey market, even for me it's insane at today's grey prices, if tomorrow I would win 100 million at euromillion, the first thing I would do is get the OG 5711P on sale at K2 Luxury, even if they want 400k for it, it's all relative, the only thing which stopped me from getting the 5711P was the price, nothing else...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 01:57 AM   #37
KarlS
Banned

You have no idea how many alternative watches you can buy with a RWS!! All personal. I don't believe it has to be a 5711P choice or 5970 or 5270... you buy the watch you like. A 5270 or 5970 does feature in my shopping list at all. If you want P you Pay to Play otherwise stick to G and nobody knows except you!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 02:08 AM   #38
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Of course you can't compare a lemania, or modern hand wound 5370-5270 movement with a 324. For me the 5711P is for those who really love Nautilus models, want the best Nautilus out there, and for which spending 100k on it isn't a problem, again I really hesitated getting one, but paying 5 times the price just to have the same watch in PT, with a nicer blue and diamonds (prefer without) seemed insane, for the same kind of cash went for a unique piece Voutilainen, probably seems insane to most people as well, but for me having a specially made time keeper just for me, from one of the greatest watch makers alive seemed more interesting, not even to mention the amazing 2-3 months of daily talks with my friend Dimitry about each detail of the watch, but buying a SS time and date only watch for over 20k like my 5711 will seem insane to 99.9% of the population, not to mention those who buy them for way more money on the grey market, even for me it's insane at today's grey prices, if tomorrow I would win 100 million at euromillion, the first thing I would do is get the OG 5711P on sale at K2 Luxury, even if they want 400k for it, it's all relative, the only thing which stopped me from getting the 5711P was the price, nothing else...
And some even crazier people chose a P as a voutilainen versus WG...depends what u want. U either get P or you don't or don't see the value
Old 15 May 2017, 02:16 AM   #39
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
I agree. For me, it's all about the movement and not the watch case. For the same reason, I'd never buy a PM Rolex.

However, we are all different, and the OP collects PM Rolexes, so maybe the platinum 5711 makes sense to him.

With my FPJ, I was forced into a decision between rose gold or plat, so I chose plat as it's a bit less obvious and could pass for steel.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 02:27 AM   #40
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I agree. For me, it's all about the movement and not the watch case. For the same reason, I'd never buy a PM Rolex.

However, we are all different, and the OP collects PM Rolexes, so maybe the platinum 5711 makes sense to him.

With my FPJ, I was forced into a decision between rose gold or plat, so I chose plat as it's a bit less obvious and could pass for steel.
why do you think he doesn't offer WG and only Pl other than he believes it's the premier metal?
Old 15 May 2017, 02:37 AM   #41
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
why do you think he doesn't offer WG and only Pl other than he believes it's the premier metal?
I don't know.

There's also the CB which is tantalum, and the Grand Sonnerie in steel. Ironically enough, the steel GS is the one with the stratospheric price. Steel used because of the acoustic properties, allegedly.

There's a number of sports watches in aluminium and titanium as well, but they don't appeal in the least.
Old 15 May 2017, 03:16 AM   #42
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And some even crazier people chose a P as a voutilainen versus WG...depends what u want. U either get P or you don't or don't see the value
I was going for the P before deciding on getting it with the case back, the price difference between G and P is so small that P is the right choice, problem is that with case back he had one ready at an acceptable price, had it been in P it was 40k more, and from what I understood the plate with the engraving would have been WG anyways, if you look on his website all the ones with case back are WG if I remember correctly, so went with G as 40k more just to have some P and G together, nah. But the initial order, before I went officers case back was for a P, and is the way to go if you don't want the case back, difference is less than 10k, better get the P

Edit: Just did a quick check and yes all white metal Voutilainen pieces with case backs are made from white gold.
Old 15 May 2017, 05:18 AM   #43
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
I was going for the P before deciding on getting it with the case back, the price difference between G and P is so small that P is the right choice, problem is that with case back he had one ready at an acceptable price, had it been in P it was 40k more, and from what I understood the plate with the engraving would have been WG anyways, if you look on his website all the ones with case back are WG if I remember correctly, so went with G as 40k more just to have some P and G together, nah. But the initial order, before I went officers case back was for a P, and is the way to go if you don't want the case back, difference is less than 10k, better get the P

Edit: Just did a quick check and yes all white metal Voutilainen pieces with case backs are made from white gold.
I would have gone for the platinum, in your situation. "Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" as they say.

If you insist on viewing topless nymphs, well, I gather that they are available elsewhere, and in higher resolution.
Old 15 May 2017, 05:35 AM   #44
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

I am confused. WG is 10 000 cheaper than Platinum. All caseback are white gold. Platinum Caseback + WG case then becomes 40 000 more expensive???? Only way I can see that happening is for the caseback was platinum.
Old 15 May 2017, 05:41 AM   #45
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would have gone for the platinum, in your situation. "Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar" as they say.

If you insist on viewing topless nymphs, well, I gather that they are available elsewhere, and in higher resolution.
Oh where I live there heards of wild nymphs all around
I don't know, I always loved officers case backs with special engraving, just makes me feel like the watch is more special, but I understand that this kind of watch will polarize opinions, which is what art is supposed to do, create a love or hate reaction, I love those things
Old 15 May 2017, 05:49 AM   #46
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am confused. WG is 10 000 cheaper than Platinum. All caseback are white gold. Platinum Caseback + WG case then becomes 40 000 more expensive???? Only way I can see that happening is for the caseback was platinum.
All the watches he did with engraved officers case backs, from what I see on his website are full white gold, if I wanted a pt watch the engraved plate would have been WG, as PT is probably too complicated to engrave by hand, too hard I would imagine, so it's not WG case and PT case back but the contrary, and for 40k more, went with the WG, had it been the same difference as between the vingt-8 without case back might have thought about it, even if the difference of metal between the case and case back might have been a little strange, but 40, no thanks.
Also he told me that since he had one ready he could give it to me for a good price, when I asked about getting it in PT he told me the price, and it was 40k more than what I am paying for full WG, a big part of the difference was because he had to do it especially for me, whereas the WG one was already made, I know I was a little surprised as well, but didn't insist and said ok for WG
Old 15 May 2017, 06:00 AM   #47
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
I don't know, I always loved officers case backs with special engraving
Why? I know PP offer them on the Calatrava and maybe some others (Vout, apparently) but what is so special about them? If it was a pocket watch, then I kind-of get it, but on a wristwatch? Makes no sense to me at all.

When I take my watch off at night, I don't spend any time at all looking at the movement, I just put it down and go to sleep. But if I did spend time looking at the movement, the caseback would just get in the way.

If you got it because it was on "special offer", then maybe. But probably still no. I think if you are buying a mic-drop watch, it has to be right.
Old 15 May 2017, 06:26 AM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why? I know PP offer them on the Calatrava and maybe some others (Vout, apparently) but what is so special about them? If it was a pocket watch, then I kind-of get it, but on a wristwatch? Makes no sense to me at all.

When I take my watch off at night, I don't spend any time at all looking at the movement, I just put it down and go to sleep. But if I did spend time looking at the movement, the caseback would just get in the way.

If you got it because it was on "special offer", then maybe. But probably still no. I think if you are buying a mic-drop watch, it has to be right.
Can't say why just tastes I guess, I always loved that, Kilyung has an officers case back on his 5227 and he loves it as well, you have a beautiful case back, with unique engraving in my case, and can as well just open and see the movement, I see it as a trait of haute watchmaking, as I said I can understand if some won't like it, but I love it, if you go look on Kari's website look at each model, there are a few, unique pieces in each case, with different types of engravings, I find some of them incredibly cool, love the masterpiece 7, from which mine will be inspired, the zodiac and minute repeater GMT engravings, others are nice as well but not what I love, while these 3 are amazing, IMHO of course
Old 15 May 2017, 07:36 AM   #49
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Can't say why just tastes I guess, I always loved that, Kilyung has an officers case back on his 5227 and he loves it as well, you have a beautiful case back, with unique engraving in my case, and can as well just open and see the movement, I see it as a trait of haute watchmaking, as I said I can understand if some won't like it, but I love it, if you go look on Kari's website look at each model, there are a few, unique pieces in each case, with different types of engravings, I find some of them incredibly cool, love the masterpiece 7, from which mine will be inspired, the zodiac and minute repeater GMT engravings, others are nice as well but not what I love, while these 3 are amazing, IMHO of course
Whatever floats your boat. I don't agree that it's a trait of "haute horology", because all it is is a hinge and a metal plate. Not exactly difficult. It's a hangover from pocket watches.
Old 15 May 2017, 07:36 AM   #50
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Bruno, correct me if I am mistaken, but you have posted pictures of the 5711/1p on Instagram, and I thought here also. I was under the impression that you owned the watch.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:53 AM   #51
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:

I felt exactly the same as you for a long time (probably about 15 years) but tastes change and evolve and I can see the appeal of a PM watch now. I disagree (now) that it's all about the movement - it's all about the whole package. Exclusivity and rarity play their part for a limited edition / rare watch (if they didn't we wouldn't see the astronomical prices for a Paul Newman Daytona when the 116500 is a better watch. Or what about the "Lucky 13 Nautilus) - but I didn't see that as bragging rights (havent we got beyond that by now Karl?), more like protection against heavy depreciation.

In terms of a PM watch I consider it the normal watch in its best clothes - like you in a Tuxedo, you're still the same person as you are in your jeans ;-)

For the 5711/1p you're getting all of the above, plus the best blue dial, a piece of Nautilus history and a feel on the wrist that can not be equalled by the 5711/1a.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 08:29 AM   #52
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. I don't agree that it's a trait of "haute horology", because all it is is a hinge and a metal plate. Not exactly difficult. It's a hangover from pocket watches.
Let's say that it makes the watch more unique for me
Old 15 May 2017, 09:42 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Let's say that it makes the watch more unique for me

And that's all that matters. FFS you'd think he was going to have to wear it.