The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2017, 01:35 PM   #1
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

How to apply loctite on screws?

Maybe a silly question...I have a Diver and I've always brought my watch to the boutique for bracelet/strap changes. It's far away though and pretty inconvenient. I have all the tools and I have different loctites (242, 243, 222MS), but I'm not sure how to apply the loctite. Do I just apply one very tiny drop on the female part of the thread of the screws and then screw it in? Am I over thinking this? Thanks for the help.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 02:30 PM   #2
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

You're on the right track. Low strength Loctite thread locker - 221 or 222 - a very small amount applied to the female threads of the link holes with a pin or toothpick, not to the screw.

Just to be clear, there is no "female part of the thread of the screws". The female threads are in the link hole.
Old 23 January 2017, 09:39 PM   #3
IS250C
"TRF" Member

Is it really necessary to use loctite? I was told that it is not necessary by AP sales guy.
IS250C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS250C View Post
Is it really necessary to use loctite? I was told that it is not necessary by AP sales guy.
No, and if I remember correctly there was no loctite on the bracelet screws on my 15400. But it wouldn't hurt.
Old 23 January 2017, 11:22 PM   #5
csi-n
"TRF" Member

I always use Loctite 222 and it has worked out well for me over the years. The 222 is strong enough to secure the screws so that they don't back out due to everyday use/vibrations, etc. and weak enough that you can remove them without stripping the thread or breaking your screwdriver.

I use a toothpick and apply a very small amount on the screw thread.
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-n View Post
I always use Loctite 222 and it has worked out well for me over the years. The 222 is strong enough to secure the screws so that they don't back out due to everyday use/vibrations, etc. and weak enough that you can remove them without stripping the thread or breaking your screwdriver.

I use a toothpick and apply a very small amount on the screw thread.
Thanks, maybe I'll stick with the 222 so I have some security but don't have to worry about heat in the future.

So is there any method to applying it to the screw thread...just put a drop anywhere on there? And do you need to remove the old loctite from the screw somehow each time or once it builds up or something?
Old 24 January 2017, 07:02 AM   #7
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Thanks, maybe I'll stick with the 222 so I have some security but don't have to worry about heat in the future.

So is there any method to applying it to the screw thread...just put a drop anywhere on there? And do you need to remove the old loctite from the screw somehow each time or once it builds up or something?
Nothing special, I simply put a very very tiny amount on the screw thread and try to spread it a bit with the toothpick.
The old Loctite generally breaks apart while getting unthreaded, almost to a dust form, so I simply blow it away. Once in a while, I use the toothpick to flick off some that stay on the thread. It's pretty easy to do this as the Loctite at this point is weakened and is pretty loose.
Old 24 January 2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-n View Post
Nothing special, I simply put a very very tiny amount on the screw thread and try to spread it a bit with the toothpick.
The old Loctite generally breaks apart while getting unthreaded, almost to a dust form, so I simply blow it away. Once in a while, I use the toothpick to flick off some that stay on the thread. It's pretty easy to do this as the Loctite at this point is weakened and is pretty loose.
Thanks!
Old 24 January 2017, 11:25 PM   #9
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
Thanks!
No problem.
Old 13 May 2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

Hey gang,

FYI - i noticed a loose screw this week. Thankfully, noticed it before the watch fell off.

Went home and applied loctite 222 to all threads where I had loosened screws before. On one side of the clasp, i put more generous amounts of loctite on the fenale threads. After allowing it to cure one day, i tried on my bracelet. One side of the clasp was perfect. Links were moving freely, screws were not.

However, the other side was stiff, and the screw was turning while the links were very stiff. This was the side that i applied more loctite to. I think some of the loctite made its way to the middle portion of the link.

It was a pain to get the screw back out. Tried heat, didnt work. Finally, used pliers carefully. Got the screws out, cleaned out the screws and links. There was gunk in the links from the extra loctite.

I reapplied loctite, this time in a much smaller amount. Hopefully, the screws will be secure tomorrow with a freely moving bracelet.

I dont think much loctite is needed, so be careful not to apply so much that it gets into the middle of the link.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:33 AM   #11
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
Hey gang,

FYI - i noticed a loose screw this week. Thankfully, noticed it before the watch fell off.

Went home and applied loctite 222 to all threads where I had loosened screws before. On one side of the clasp, i put more generous amounts of loctite on the fenale threads. After allowing it to cure one day, i tried on my bracelet. One side of the clasp was perfect. Links were moving freely, screws were not.

However, the other side was stiff, and the screw was turning while the links were very stiff. This was the side that i applied more loctite to. I think some of the loctite made its way to the middle portion of the link.

It was a pain to get the screw back out. Tried heat, didnt work. Finally, used pliers carefully. Got the screws out, cleaned out the screws and links. There was gunk in the links from the extra loctite.

I reapplied loctite, this time in a much smaller amount. Hopefully, the screws will be secure tomorrow with a freely moving bracelet.

I dont think much loctite is needed, so be careful not to apply so much that it gets into the middle of the link.
You only need to apply a small small amount on the actually threads.
Old 15 May 2017, 01:42 AM   #12
CMJ
"TRF" Member

Was taught to add a tiny amount to the end of the screw thread using a cocktail stick. Then as you screw in the loctite thinly spreads up the screw thread allowing it to adhere in tiny amounts across the whole screw. Therefore successfully holding the screw in place and allowing for easy removal.
CMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 08:52 AM   #13
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Does one need a special screwdriver for the AP RO bracelet?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Does one need a special screwdriver for the AP RO bracelet?
Any 1.4 mm (preferably flat head) screwdriver will do.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:43 AM   #15
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Any 1.4 mm (preferably flat head) screwdriver will do.
Thank you!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote