The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 2017, 05:37 AM   #31
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
I would have someone look at it. I have the same watch. I wear it every day with little regard to its positioning at night. It has consistently been +8 seconds per month. It is extremely accurate, and has been taken care of, but not babied.

I work as a professional, but live in a farm environment, which has taken the watch through some interesting adventures. In many cases I just forget to take it off when I get home. I have also used it for skiing, shooting, and other sports activities. It continues to be a very consistent eight seconds fast per month.
Well, that's impressive. My watch is way less accurate unfortunately....
Old 10 May 2017, 06:59 AM   #32
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

15 per day is too much. Confirm you measurement and contact with Rolex Service Center.

Break-in period is a fairytale. The watch already broke in at Rolex Factory.

1 Watch guy
Old 10 May 2017, 07:23 PM   #33
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Had my BLNR for a month+ now and its been identical +0.5s/d since the day I bought it no matter if I let it run down, keep it wound, put it in a watch box or leave it crown down on the table.
Old 10 May 2017, 07:49 PM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimede View Post
Hi

sorry padi, I don't really get the question. It seemed to me that you were saying that in the end the watch correction is done using the timeograph so if the watch is +1 they won't do anything. Am I wrong? Please state the question again if otherwise.
Archimede

If your watch is running +1 seconds per day off the wrist and plus 15 seconds a day on the wrist that is not within specs, not normal, and may signify other problems. If it was running consistently 15 seconds a day fast I would be less concerned.

Rolex make a big thing about accuracy, and testing the +2/-2 in mixed conditions, not just on a timeographer. They test the cased movements on machinery designed to simulate wrist movements, not just on a bench.

I have the utmost respect for Peter's (Padi56) knowledge on most things Rolex but he is somewhat stuck his opinions on accuracy and what we, the consumer, have a right to expect based on Rolex's claims.

Speak to your AD or Rolex Service Centre and see what they say. I doubt very much you are seeing +15 seconds per day due to user error in measuring the time. Its not difficult to do and an atomic clock time source should be extremely accurate.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 10 May 2017, 08:23 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Archimede

If your watch is running +1 seconds per day off the wrist and plus 15 seconds a day on the wrist that is not within specs, not normal, and may signify other problems. If it was running consistently 15 seconds a day fast I would be less concerned.

Rolex make a big thing about accuracy, and testing the +2/-2 in mixed conditions, not just on a timeographer. They test the cased movements on machinery designed to simulate wrist movements, not just on a bench.

I have the utmost respect for Peter's (Padi56) knowledge on most things Rolex but he is somewhat stuck his opinions on accuracy and what we, the consumer, have a right to expect based on Rolex's claims.

Speak to your AD or Rolex Service Centre and see what they say. I doubt very much you are seeing +15 seconds per day due to user error in measuring the time. Its not difficult to do and an atomic clock time source should be extremely accurate.
Well if the original poster would answer my question as posted in post 18 below, I am sure its not written in swahili.Like he stated on a timograph its +1 a day, now how do you think they regulate any movement BY USING A TIMOGRAPH. And if it returns +1 second it does not need regulation there must be something else WRONG.

Who is doing the testing on the timeograph and what timograph are you using I am sure none of the replies have read your post where you state it runs +1 on the timograph.Most state take it for regulation well thats how regulation is done on a timograph machine and if it comes back at +1 second it does not need any sort of regulation.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 10 May 2017, 09:39 PM   #36
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

If your watch is running +1 seconds per day off the wrist and plus 15 seconds a day on the wrist that is not within specs, not normal, and may signify other problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
now how do you think they regulate any movement BY USING A TIMOGRAPH. And if it returns +1 second it does not need regulation there must be something else WRONG.
Agreed - as I said

I suspect it doesn't need regulating - it needs repairing

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 10 May 2017, 11:08 PM   #37
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Dear all,

I bought one week ago my second Rolex (yeah!! ).
It's an Explorer (2016 model, with longer hands) and I took it from my local AD, where I bought my other watch (OP 39 mm rhodium).

Unfortunately the watch runs about +15 seconds per day
Everybody says that there is a break-in period of about 3/4 weeks but I think that 15 seconds seems to be too much to be recovered.

I afforded big efforts to buy the Explorer and it's a bit disturbing that that watch is running so far from -2/+2 advertised.
For the records, my OP 39 mm is well within specs now.

What should I do? Should I wait or should I send the watch to RSC?

Thanks
Send it back. There is no such thing as a break in period. My 214270 Mk1 was running over 20 sec fast per day and I didn't accept that. After regulation at RsC it came back running perfectly, and I mean it: 5 seconds in 4 months, wearing it 24/7.
There is no reason for you to tolerate 15 sec a day.

Old 10 May 2017, 11:10 PM   #38
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BTW
I'd like to add a couple of things. Measured on the time grapher the watch is dead precise at +1/day... and if I leave the watch on the table face up it stays precise.
On the wrist though it takes 15 s/day. I set the watch with an atomic clock and check it 24 hours later.
I forgot to mention that when I wasn't wearing it , it was dead on (0-1 sec per day).
It needs repair.

Old 10 May 2017, 11:11 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
Send it back. There is no such thing as a break in period. My 214270 Mk1 was running over 20 sec fast per day and I didn't accept that. After regulation at RsC it came back running perfectly, and I mean it: 5 seconds in 4 months, wearing it 24/7.
There is no reason for you to tolerate 15 sec a day.
I am sure you have not read all the post thread.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 May 2017, 12:09 AM   #40
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sure you have not read all the post thread.
I am sure Padi that you didn't have my watch on your arm running 20 sec fast per day.

That is not normal, Period.

With all due respect, you're not omniscient.

And I read all the posts.

Old 11 May 2017, 12:18 AM   #41
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And if it returns +1 second it does not need regulation there must be something else WRONG.
Now I agree with that single sentence of yours.

Old 13 May 2017, 12:31 AM   #42
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,
thank you all for the answers. Also, to Padi, I just asked you to restate the question because I'm not sure what you meant. Sorry for this.
In any case, I let the watch to end his power then hand wound it (40 times) and measured with my timeograph: it is really perfect. Nonetheless, when I wear it, it still takes 15 seconds per day, measured with time.is

So, as someone stated, probably the watch HAS a problem and needs to be repaired, not only regulated. I'll post here my measurements in a few days of usage (a list of accuracies) and eventually I'll go to RSC.
Old 21 May 2017, 06:11 AM   #43
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi guys
I tested a bit more my watch for 1 week now.
I fully discharged it, then wounded manually (40 times).
I measured it at the beginning of the week my my Timegrapher (face up):
0 s/day
0.0 beat error
310 amplitude

and at the end
0 s/day
0.1 beat error
303 amplitude

I wore the watch night and day, without interruption (even in the shower).
It consistently did +15 s/day, measured with time.is

So, I'll go tomorrow to the RSC in Paris. I'd just like to know what you think it's the best thing to say to the guys there. I'll tell them just my results. Any better ideas?
Thanks

t
Old 21 May 2017, 06:44 AM   #44
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Just go in and say you've kept a close eye on it and it's outwith the designated specification of -/+ 2 seconds per day so you would like that remedied.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:07 AM   #45
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Measured on the time grapher the watch is dead precise at +1/day... and if I leave the watch on the table face up it stays precise.
On the wrist though it takes 15 s/day.
Holy cow. That definitely indicates the watch is in need of repair, not regulation. I would have taken it back to the shop and asked for a new one.

If my brand new $8000 Rolex needs a regulation then that's acceptable, but to have something broken on it.....I expect better quality control for $8000. You were sold a broken watch. Can't wait to hear the resolution on this.
Old 3 June 2017, 01:07 AM   #46
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hallo guys,
just took the watch from the service today (22 may - 1 June, pretty fast..)..
I measured the watch with my Timeographer and is
-1 s/day, 0.2 beat error
I'll now check it on the wrist and let you know in 24/48 hours.
A
Old 3 June 2017, 01:17 AM   #47
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

Brilliant. Sounds like good news so far.
Old 4 June 2017, 06:17 PM   #48
Archimede
"TRF" Member

So guys,

some more info to see what you think.
In the first 24 hours the watch has been +2 seconds fast/day; I wore it roughly 18 hours on 24.
Now, after 42 hours (not 2 full days) the watch was +5.5 seconds fast/day. So, it is somehow irregular and it seems to be around +4/5 seconds per day. Much better than before, but still need to measure it better.
I reset the watch today at 10am with time.is and will control it for the next few days at the same hour to see what happens.

Please tell me what you think
A.

PS: on my time-grapher it is still almost perfect at -1 or -2 per day...
Old 4 June 2017, 06:51 PM   #49
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Quote:
So guys,

some more info to see what you think.
In the first 24 hours the watch has been +2 seconds fast/day; I wore it roughly 18 hours on 24.
Now, after 42 hours (not 2 full days) the watch was +5.5 seconds fast/day. So, it is somehow irregular and it seems to be around +4/5 seconds per day. Much better than before, but still need to measure it better.
I reset the watch today at 10am with time.is and will control it for the next few days at the same hour to see what happens.

Please tell me what you think
A.

PS: on my time-grapher it is still almost perfect at -1 or -2 per day...
Your watch movement is on a haywire, and definitely needs a fix from RSC.

No need to experiment with this measurement. It's obvious that your watch movement is bad.
Old 4 June 2017, 07:04 PM   #50
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejm View Post
Your watch movement is on a haywire, and definitely needs a fix from RSC.

No need to experiment with this measurement. It's obvious that your watch movement is bad.
hi nursejm,
can you argument on this? I had the feeling that it is behaving better than before, can you tell why you say that it needs a fix?

Thanks
A
Old 4 June 2017, 07:18 PM   #51
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
+2/-2 the Rolex expected specs from this movement.

If at this early stage it's showing some irregularities what more if the watch is at 2 or 5 years of its age, where by 5 years it doesn't have any warranty anymore.

Its better to avail the warranty the earlier, isn't it?

If this is not Rolex +4/5 seconds per day is still acceptable, i have a Carrera with +10 secs day and i can still live with it, since its expected from this NON COSC watch.
But for Rolex they stand with their product that it should be +2/-2.
Old 4 June 2017, 07:27 PM   #52
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Hi guys
I tested a bit more my watch for 1 week now.
I fully discharged it, then wounded manually (40 times).
I measured it at the beginning of the week my my Timegrapher (face up):
0 s/day
0.0 beat error
310 amplitude

and at the end
0 s/day
0.1 beat error
303 amplitude

I wore the watch night and day, without interruption (even in the shower).
It consistently did +15 s/day, measured with time.is

So, I'll go tomorrow to the RSC in Paris. I'd just like to know what you think it's the best thing to say to the guys there. I'll tell them just my results. Any better ideas?
Thanks

t
Your watch is not worn face up all the time.

Can you post up the results for each Timegrapher position averaged over two minutes after an initial 30 seconds of stabilising?

E.

Old 4 June 2017, 07:47 PM   #53
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Your watch is not worn face up all the time.

Can you post up the results for each Timegrapher position averaged over two minutes after an initial 30 seconds of stabilising?

E.
ok I will do it soon and post the results.
A
Old 4 June 2017, 08:06 PM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
ok I will do it soon and post the results.
A
And the make and type of timeograph you are using and your testing method whether on a full manual wind to start the test as I have asked several times.And consistency is the most important factor in any movement when worn and you state its a consistent +15 seconds when worn 24/7.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 June 2017, 08:58 PM   #55
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Most likely a Multifunction Timegrapher 1000 and if the watch is running at +15 sec/day on the wrist and 0 on the Timegrapher dial up then something is not right.
The Timegrapher stats at all positions will at least give us a starting point for the positional variations and I don't think the PR is an issue yet?

Old 5 June 2017, 02:20 AM   #56
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,
I measured the watch with my timegrapher and would like to post the results.
My timegrapher is a Weishi Multifunction 1900; I also used it to measure my other Rolex (OP 39mm) and the results are consistent between it and real usage.

I wounded the watch the 40 times and waited 30 seconds before taking the values. Then I did an average on about 2 minutes. The values:

face up
amp 285
be 0.1
avg 0

crown up
amp 257
be 0.2
avg -1.5

face down
amp 280
be 0.1
avg -0.5

crown down
amp 265
be 0
avg -0.5

crown left (vertical)
amp 251
be 0.1
avg +4.5

crown right (vertical)
amp 251
be 0.2
avg -7

So the most striking things are the vertical positions: +4.5 and -7, a delta of more than 11 seconds, way out COSC.

For the records, I set the watch 8 hours ago on time.is and is now running +4 seconds....

Really disappointed and confused. Please tell me what you think
A
Old 5 June 2017, 02:33 AM   #57
Archimede
"TRF" Member

So, to me there is too much positional variation. I'm not an expert and don't know what to think. The RSC told me they "regulated" the watch and it was pretty difficult to express my perplexity with the guy being so "dont-worry-your-watch-is-fine" type of person.
Old 12 July 2017, 05:44 AM   #58
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,
just an update on my Explorer.
After I took back from RSC in Paris the watch was still doing around + 8/9s a day on my wrist (always almost perfect on timegrapher).
So, after 1 month of more testing I finally went back to my AD and we decided to send it in Geneva. The technician at my AD noticed that in several position the amplitude was too much (around 327) and that probably could be the cause of the problem.
So, we sent it back to Geneve specifying this fact and also saying that we already sent it in Paris.
My AD told me that I will not get the watch before the end of the summer, so I'll let you know.
Best
Old 13 August 2017, 06:45 PM   #59
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Dear all, an update on my explorer.
It came back from service again (1 month) and it is now +3 s/day both on wrist and on table (checked with time.is). I don't have a time grapher here (I'm on holidays) but will check in September.
So, all in all, I think it's ok for me. In a sense, it is still out specifications but I'm not sure it is really possible to do better than this. Of course 3 seconds is nothing and in this regard I am satisfied. Just strange that my other 3132 (OP39mm) is keeping perfect time with roughly 0 s/day both on wrist and on table.
So, I think that for now I'll stay with this situation. Please give me your opinions.
Best
A
Old 13 August 2017, 09:00 PM   #60
sager
"TRF" Member

It wouldn't really bother me. I think its fine.
Closed Thread