The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2017, 11:05 PM   #61
Rolexlover69
"TRF" Member

I love my black dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexlover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:06 AM   #62
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Bad for existing owner.

Good for potential new owner looking to try it out.

I got G series in mint condition full B&P around 7.5k.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 12:32 PM   #63
Jupiter21
"TRF" Member

I love the dssd, likely going to be my first Rolex. I was really looking at the James Cameron or the BLNR and after going to an AD, I am gravitating towards the black dial DSSD. Just a classic look and it fits great. I am used to large watches however..
Jupiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 12:51 AM   #64
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
You really shouldn't generalize; I would pick the black DSSD over the D-blue or SD43 in a heartbeat. I can't be the only one.
You're not. The black dial and domed bezel play beautifully with light and it's timeless, classic Rolex with it's satin dial. I've bought and sold the DSSD in black twice for various reasons. I've seen the D-Blue side by side and when the time comes I will buy the black again, a third time....over both the JC and SD43.

If anything the SDC would be the only competition.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 10:14 PM   #65
vincent22
"TRF" Member

Too many people appreciate the most extreme engineering Rolex has done in the history of watchmaking. The lowering price of pre-owned DSSD is just lack of marketing at the moment and lots of marketing for the other newer models. Look at this engineering piece, looks good on my big wrist too :
vincent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 10:18 PM   #66
vincent22
"TRF" Member

Old 15 July 2017, 10:18 PM   #67
vincent22
"TRF" Member

Old 15 July 2017, 10:31 PM   #68
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I don't think the SD43 makes the DSSD obsolete at all. They wear very similarly now with the new size increase on the SD43 but the DSSD still has far superior water resistance and is a testament to what Rolex can offer to consumers on the diver end. Yes I understand no one will ever use this kind of water resistance but it's a marketing tool I don't see Rolex giving up....not to mention the Deep Sea Blue still has a very compelling dial. SD43 has just been released and is like every new watch, hyped and hot.....wait until the smoke clears then we'll have a better idea how good the watch does compared to the DSSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
The DSSD and SD43 don't wear similarly at all. Love the engineering that's gone into the DSSD, but the 43 highlights the flaws of the dimensions.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
Quote:
I guess it depends on perspective. For me the way the SD43 protrudes from the back with the increased case size wears similar to a deep sea for me (small wrist)....certainly a lot closer to that than any sub/previous sea dweller I've tried. I won't debate that the SD43 has nicer proportions taking a better lug and bracelet design for that size....it most certainly wears slimmer for guys with larger wrists that has the piece flat on their wrist.

IMO the DSSD will get a bracelet update in the coming years (to match that of the SD43) but they won't discontinue it, the water resistance is too good as a marketing tool for the brand.
As an owner of both I'd have to say I agree more with 33JS

They wear completely different for me. the flatter case back of the DBlue tends to balance the head of the watch on the wrist which compensates for the thinner bracelet end links.

In the case of the SD43, the wider lugs and end links help to stabilize the more convex shaped caseback.

The good news is that the end result is still the same. They both wear comfortably
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 10:39 PM   #69
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Sorry to spoil the party, and this is somewhat off-topic, but I still prefer the SubC Date to both the SD43 and the DSSD. In particular, I think the cyclops on the SD43 actually detracts from the watch and makes it look like an oversized, overpriced Sub. Once this becomes apparent to most of the WIS community, I think that prices of the SD43 will fall and those of the DSSD either will stay constant or increase. Just my $0.02.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 02:11 AM   #70
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
I think it will be discontinued, thus preserving used prices.
The 43 makes the DSSD obsolete.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
Diaagreed. They discontinued the 116600 because it was too similar to the sub. The SD32 and DSSD give the SD lineup clear differentiation from the Sub lineup. Who knows though, were all just speculating.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 04:09 AM   #71
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
My choice

Old 16 July 2017, 05:16 AM   #72
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
It is a beast that doesn't appeal to the general public because of its size. Hence it has a lower demand that translates in lower resale value.
Old 16 July 2017, 06:09 AM   #73
Magwitch
Banned

If you buy what you like you needn't worry about resale value. I don't even recall what I paid for many of my watches, nor do I care what I could sell them for. They have value to ME that is not measured in how many USD I can get for them.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 06:21 AM   #74
maton12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
It is a beast that doesn't appeal to the general public because of its size. Hence it has a lower demand that translates in lower resale value.
How do you explain the price of used Deep Blue? And apart form the Daytona C, the most sought after pre Basel 2017 Rolex

SD4000 had similar depreciation to the black dial DSSD, now WIS can't get enough of the former
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 06:42 AM   #75
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I think its a fantastic watch, too bad my wrists are not able to handle this watch. I would buy that one in a second!

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 07:14 AM   #76
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by maton12 View Post
How do you explain the price of used Deep Blue? And apart form the Daytona C, the most sought after pre Basel 2017 Rolex

SD4000 had similar depreciation to the black dial DSSD, now WIS can't get enough of the former
Daytona is a special case. Decades of well crafted marketing invested in it.

I personally think Deep Blue price stays up because of the dial alone. Ppl love that touch of blue and, because of the Deep Blue, the price of original Deepsea is affected.
Still, this deepsea remains a niche model given the size and the price.
Old 26 July 2017, 10:12 PM   #77
Rolexlover69
"TRF" Member

Rolexlover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 11:26 PM   #78
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Personally, I deplore co-branding pieces like the James Cameron DSSD. Aesthetically I don't even like the COMEX Rolexes.

As a non-collector I come at this differently. I see Rolex's dive line as tool watches first and foremost. Trying to jazz one up with a colored dial doesn't work for me. I favor the classic designs. Ironically though I love my GMT2 Pepsi. Go figure! Perhaps I'm just a hot mess as far as my tastes in watches. :)
Old 23 March 2018, 01:37 PM   #79
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think the SD43 makes the DSSD obsolete at all. They wear very similarly now with the new size increase on the SD43 but the DSSD still has far superior water resistance and is a testament to what Rolex can offer to consumers on the diver end. Yes I understand no one will ever use this kind of water resistance but it's a marketing tool I don't see Rolex giving up....not to mention the Deep Sea Blue still has a very compelling dial. SD43 has just been released and is like every new watch, hyped and hot.....wait until the smoke clears then we'll have a better idea how good the watch does compared to the DSSD.
I agree, I used to dive a lot and even though a person wont withstand those pressures. Divers and enthusiasts like the bragging rights of having the one that goes deepest. Just like having the fastest car when you will never use all that HP!
nutrientcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:52 PM   #80
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
I agree, I used to dive a lot and even though a person wont withstand those pressures. Divers and enthusiasts like the bragging rights of having the one that goes deepest. Just like having the fastest car when you will never use all that HP!

I do use all available HP, albeit not 100% of the time. What are you talking about
Old 23 March 2018, 02:12 PM   #81
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

If the SD43 was a replacement for the black DSSD then let me tell you they wouldn't have made the subtle new changes to the black one.

For the last two months all i've heard is DSSD going be disco, and now the value of the original DSSD will go down, let me tell you it won't and certainly not in the UK, it just makes the older models more unique.

One thing is for sure and that is the DSSD is here to stay and its the showpiece of Rolex engineering to this day.

The DSSD was complete marmite but it seems the hype has made everyone want it again
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:46 PM   #82
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Sure, it's nice when the value of your watches go up, but the reality is that I don't plan on selling my watches, so if the value goes down, it doesn't really bug me that much. I've known for a while that the black DSSD is not the "go-to" Rolex for most people and thus it's lower value in the secondary market particularly since the D-Blue came out. However, there is much sentimental attachment for me with the DSSD (and pretty much all my watches, even my G-shock). I bought my black DSSD during the birth of my son back in 2010, and I have strong emotional ties to the ocean and technical diving. I appreciate the engineering involved to make it so durable, and I love the ties to the Mariana Trench exploration. I'll keep the DSSD whether the value goes up or down because there is value in it to me. I think that is the best way to acquire these nice watches - buy the watch because there is something emotional that strikes you causing you to personally love it no matter what anyone else thinks of it or what it's worth.
Old 23 March 2018, 02:51 PM   #83
JohnMatrix
Banned

If you have a mk1 black dial dssd hold onto it.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:11 PM   #84
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
If you bought it new expecting to flip it in a short time, I guess you are SOL.

But if you are in the market for a second hand DSSD, then it’s a buyers market.

It’s still a great watch if you want the biggest Rolex watch available (sans the tribute writing) - that really makes a statement.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:12 PM   #85
JohnMatrix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakyn101 View Post
I bought a DSSD black last month. I had the choice between the original and the d-blue dial. For me the choice was easy as nothing beats a black DSSD. True beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Nice mk1 dssd
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote