The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 May 2017, 10:52 AM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Just because AP has some more detailing doesn't mean their quality is anymore or less then any other brand. If Rolex did a tapisery dial and beveled their case edges we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

You need to separate the extra aesthetic features an AP has that is not comparable to Rolex.

The bottom line is Rolex can do anything any other watch does. Their cash and resources are for more then any watch brand or parent company.

I love both AP and Rolex, no bias here
The finer detailing and more complex layers are important to note in describing their differences, as it is to note this reflection in their prices.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 03:24 PM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Just because AP has some more detailing doesn't mean their quality is anymore or less then any other brand. If Rolex did a tapisery dial and beveled their case edges we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

You need to separate the extra aesthetic features an AP has that is not comparable to Rolex.

The bottom line is Rolex can do anything any other watch does. Their cash and resources are for more then any watch brand or parent company.

Are we completely ignoring movement finishing?

If I had been working on my jump shot the past twenty years I'd be Curry. Just sayin.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:53 PM   #63
Northcap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
At the outset I admit I do not own an AP -- yet.

Recently I purchased my first casual/sports watch outside the Rolex brand. I worked with a reseller who sourced both the PP and the AP I was interested in purchasing. He had no bias in either direction. If anything his bias leaned in the direction of the AP. We discussed both watches over a couple of days. My conclusion was AP's reputation for being sensitive outweighed the beauty of the watch.

For me reliability and quality are inextricable. I will one day purchase a Royal Oak because I think it is iconic, but the RO will be babied more than any of my other daily wear watches.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:06 PM   #64
Fiddich
Banned

I own both. They are both great. Rolex is more durable and robust ap is simply better looking and has a much superieur finish although feels more delicate.
Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:09 AM   #65
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Maybe I'm off on the service bill between the two. But regardless there is price difference that is apparently noticeable if people are bringing it up as consideration. Which in the grand scheme of things is justifiable between an AP and Rolex. Kind of expected as the brand is clearly different.

Hands down most watch services even a non factory watchmaker typically has better servicing than any car dealership you bring your car to. Even if it's a higher car brand. It's the nature of the industry. The attention to detail at watch service centre is higher.

Your car service centers can't be faring that well... I've gotten pretty good service at the car dealers so far - even a rental which is better than my original car. Does a watch service centre do that?
tmw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #66
tmw84
"TRF" Member

It's all about where the watchmakers want to position themselves on the demand curve. Luxury goods work the opposite from typical consumer goods - the more expensive they are, the more everyone wants them because their perceived fit/finishing/movement/shine is "better", or whatever their marketing tells us.

There's also the economics of it. Price them expensive and you sell less but make more per watch, price them cheap and you make profits on the volume. Rolex can afford to play in the volume game because they have the production capacity.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:54 AM   #67
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex quality vs AP quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw84 View Post
It's all about where the watchmakers want to position themselves on the demand curve. Luxury goods work the opposite from typical consumer goods - the more expensive they are, the more everyone wants them because their perceived fit/finishing/movement/shine is "better", or whatever their marketing tells us.

There's also the economics of it. Price them expensive and you sell less but make more per watch, price them cheap and you make profits on the volume. Rolex can afford to play in the volume game because they have the production capacity.

Price has nothing to do with how well a watch is finished. It's not some sort of illusion. AP cases, movements, bracelets, and often dials are simply finished to a much higher level than Rolex. Then again, for less money so is grand seiko.

In regards to your point about production, I would say Rolex can play in the volume game because of superior brand awareness, achieved through decades of great marketing, and also just making a damn good watch.
Old 23 May 2017, 01:11 AM   #68
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Price has nothing to do with how well a watch is finished. It's not some sort of illusion. AP cases, movements, bracelets, and often dials are simply finished to a much higher level than Rolex. Then again, for less money so is grand seiko.

Exactly, that's why I said "perceived" finishing is better...
Old 23 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #69
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I had a 15400 and a Diver for a year (as well as a couple of Rolex).

I felt they were beautiful watches, but fragile. I'm pleased I did it, but not as pleased as I was to sell them and buy a PM Rolex.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I misread.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:28 AM   #71
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal981 View Post
Own both and must say AP finishing, feel and presence are above Rolex. After trying AP the Rolex seems so......plain

However for daily wear and maintenance Rolex win hands down. What a durable workhorse
I agree. AP does feel better but wear a rolex as my daily. More durable imo. Also there a big price different. A SS AP is the same price as what a gold Rolex would cost.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:01 AM   #72
jem7v
Banned

Not sure if rolex is more "durable". That being said, I'd probably be way more mindful of an AP on my wrist (depending which one) than a rolex.

The reason being the better finish quality inherently makes it easier to f**k up than a rolex.

But I wore my CE 44mm every day with zero issue. When my 44mm RG comes, I'll wear that too. The 15202 we'll see. I'll wear that probably more, but will have to be way more mindful, since I'm told if you breathe on that bracelet it pretty much scratches.

The rubber strap models are much easier when resting your hand on a desk (unless it's glass and then doesn't matter).

But pretty much any ROO I would say is more or less as durable as a rolex. The rubber strap and ceramic bezel really makes a different. And the steel bezel on the 42 ROOs is not that expensive to change out ever few years if you are OCD about polishing.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:07 AM   #73
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I own a few Rolexes and just purchased my first AP (15400). Right now I'm loving the AP but it's so different than any of my Rolexes. The finish and look are fantastic.
I think rather than compare Rolex vs AP, you have to compare certain models to one another. Doesn't make sense to compare a SS Sub to a PM RO.
Both brands make great watches.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 04:44 PM   #74
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

What???

I love both brands, but really? Since Rolex isn't doing tapisserie dials and beveled cases, that is why we are having this discussion...That is all part of the quality category.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 08:00 PM   #75
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I wore Rolex exclusively for more than a decade. I picked up my first AP a few years back and now I would not even consider acquiring another Rolex. This is not to say that the thought of wearing a 116520 again had not crossed my mind
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 08:32 PM   #76
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Hello I had a look to the service cost on the site https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...rvices-prices/

how cost a complete service for ap roo ?

is:
Chronograph // 1'350.-
QP (chrono, QP, EOT) // 1'600.-
= 2950 for full service

or only
Chronograph // 1'350.-

or only
QP (chrono, QP, EOT) // 1'600

Thanks
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 09:06 PM   #77
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Looking from a horology standpoint there are one mayor thing that must be taken into consideration. AP are doing extensive hand finishing on both case and on the parts of the movement. Rolex have big machines pretty much doing it all. If one have no interest in handcraft then by all means Rolex are probably superior in most ways. Hey, a Volvo most definitely have statistically less flaws coming of the production line than a Ferrari. Not selling rolex short, what they do is remarkable and they are the best at what they do.
Old 23 May 2017, 09:42 PM   #78
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Looking from a horology standpoint there are one mayor thing that must be taken into consideration. AP are doing extensive hand finishing on both case and on the parts of the movement. Rolex have big machines pretty much doing it all. If one have no interest in handcraft then by all means Rolex are probably superior in most ways. Hey, a Volvo most definitely have statistically less flaws coming of the production line than a Ferrari. Not selling rolex short, what they do is remarkable and they are the best at what they do.

What has hand finishing to do with "horology standpoint"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 09:46 PM   #79
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

I clarified right now: service full including polishing for a ROO 44 mm here in switzerland is 1700 CHF incl. taxes. Excluding polishing: 1500 CHF
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 09:54 PM   #80
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanos View Post

See definition #2.

Old 24 May 2017, 02:36 AM   #81
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Both brands have stood the test of time. For me Rolex makes the perfect timepiece for my wrist. A Daytona is my all time favorite. Simple, classic, durable and reliable. Owned a Rubberclad AP ROO black dial and it was a terrific timepiece. But, I've always gone back to crown. Glad you found AP as your go to watches, as most have said you won't be disappointed. Rich history and amazing looking pieces.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:04 AM   #82
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:

Quote:
See definition #2.

Couldn't have answered it better than GB-man did.
And I didn't mean to bash Rolex. No one does ultra precise machining like Rolex. But AP does things Rolex never is going to do, for example spend a ridiculous amount of hours on polishing their ceramic watches by hand. It's beautiful art
Old 24 May 2017, 09:23 AM   #83
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Anyone not knowing that? Not knowing that brands like PP, Lange, AP, and VC all pursue paths different from Rolex? What's the point of beating the dead horse and keep comparing apples to oranges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2017, 09:36 AM   #84
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See definition #2.

So is "the art of making instrument to indicate time" equal to hand finishing?

Old 24 May 2017, 09:59 AM   #85
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Not exactly. I just wanted to point out that Horology is an art and art is by nature subjective.

The appreciation of hand finishing is certainly a common trait for those with an interest in horology.
Old 24 May 2017, 10:07 AM   #86
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not exactly. I just wanted to point out that Horology is an art and art is by nature subjective.

The appreciation of hand finishing is certainly a common trait for those with an interest in horology.
Common trait? Not exactly. By the way, if that is 'common' then how come horology is "by nature subjective"?
Old 24 May 2017, 11:03 AM   #87
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:

Are you arguing that hand finishing a timepiece is neither artistic nor a part of making said timepiece?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #88
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Common trait? Not exactly. By the way, if that is 'common' then how come horology is "by nature subjective"?
With high or haute horology fine finishing is de rigeur. Rolex, as you agree, cater to a different demographic, and don't even bother to display their movements.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:38 AM   #89
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I wonder what the point of these threads are. We TRFers all know the difference between a Rolex and AP (or Patek). I guess beating a dead horse never gets old.

PS: Some have said that Rolexes are all machine made, constructed. There are some excellent videos showing the amount of hand finishing that goes into each Rolex. Not to AP standards, but still....
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:54 AM   #90
Hanz079
"TRF" Member

I have owned 2 APs and a few Rolexes...
My take is... there comes a time where you just want a nice, robust, reliable well constructed watch that can be worn hassle and worry free.
And by my own experience, AP (as beautiful as they are) isn't what I would call robust and reliable.
Life has enough problems as is... I don't need my watch to be one of them...
And of course, regarding service fees? Servicing the movement is one price and polishing is another. Added together, they can cost quite alot.
Well... you gotta pay to play...
Hanz079 is offline   Reply With Quote