The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

Sea Dweller purchase advice required

Hi everyone, first post here so go easy on me!

I'm in the market for a Sea Dweller (16600) but can't believe how much they appear to have gone up in price since they were discontinued! I have been offered a couple and would appreciate some feedback as to whether they would be a good purchase or not:

'Y' series, £4.3k
'D' series £4.5k

Both include full papers and have just been serviced.

I really wanted an M series (last one I believe) but these seem to be even more expensive...

I am based in the UK.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
brissleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
colin hill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date just 116234
Time to buy

I believe this watch will only continue to rise in value as with all other discontinued models, sub, gmt, etc.They are very robust models, Just check it hasn't been over polished before you buy as there are a few of these out there at the moment demanding high prices, as i have seen,the condition has not been that great.
Old 9 August 2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by brissleboy View Post

I'm in the market for a Sea Dweller (16600) but can't believe how much they appear to have gone up in price since they were discontinued! I have been offered a couple and would appreciate some feedback as to whether they would be a good purchase or not:

'Y' series, £4.3k
'D' series £4.5k

I really wanted an M series (last one I believe) but these seem to be even more expensive...

I am based in the UK.

Cheers
Assuming both are in similar condition and still have nice, crisp lugs etc.................

I would get the Y-serial since it has drilled-through lugs. I can't speak to whether or not that is a good price since you are UK based, but it seems fair since the watch was just serviced. I can tell you that the prices are not going to decrease. I bought an A-serial just a couple years ago for $3,200 with box/papers in really decent shape.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Clay
Banned

I agree with Jason...Get the Y series......You gotta have lug holes...

Here's my Y series....Good luck..

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 08:05 PM   #5
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

Bit of a novice question but the drilled lugs being the 'holes' above and below the helium escape valve? Are these better to have then?

Cheers for the reply guys!
Old 9 August 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:

'Y' series, £4.3k
'D' series £4.5k

I am based in the UK.

Cheers
Buy the lug holed model, you won't regret it, and, as previous posters have stated, the SD is only going to rise in price. Buy and enjoy.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Clay
Banned

Quote:
Bit of a novice question but the drilled lugs being the 'holes' above and below the helium escape valve? Are these better to have then?

Cheers for the reply guys!
Yes, those are the lug holes......"Better" is a relative term.....

Some people like them and some do not...It's personal preference really...

The lug holes speak more to the "old school", the Sea Dweller as it originally was (1665).....It also makes it much easier to take the bracelet off and exchange it for a NATO strap for example.....

Either way the Sea Dweller is a great watch...
Old 9 August 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Given that both of your samples are almost the same price, I'd go with the lug hole version.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 09:14 PM   #9
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

The choice seems to only be heading in one direction then... I am guessing that the Y series SDs must be the last with lug holes?

What must the watch come included with, can somebody point me in the direction of a checklist?

Cheers
Old 9 August 2011, 09:15 PM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by numismatist View Post
given that both of your samples are almost the same price, i'd go with the lug hole version.
x2

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 09:27 PM   #11
dricig
"TRF" Member

Good luck with the search, that's the fun part!
Both are similar in price and have full papers which is important but condition is the big deal. I see a bunch for sale that are overly polished, this is evident on the HEV (Helium Escape Valve) side with rounded HEV edges and polished HEV.
As for price, the best time to buy is the present since prices will continue to rise.
Lug holes or not? well, not that big a deal except that non hole is a newer watch. In a few years when the SD is vintage, the non hole version, having been made in far fewer numbers, may actually be preferred.
Collectors are a fickle lot!

dave
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Clay
Banned

Yes, Y series was the last year with Lug Holes.....
In fact there were only 4 years that the Sea Dweller had Lug Holes and a Luminova dial....
A,P,K & Y series.
Old 9 August 2011, 10:16 PM   #13
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Its crazy how much the SD has appreciated over the summer... before i left for my deployment in May nice ones with box and papers seemed to hover around the 5k mark... now those are fetching 6k+ only 3 months later... I should have squeezed the trigger on one before I left... still have a few weeks to wait till I get home to make a deal
S52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 10:25 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

'Y' series, £4.3k
'D' series £4.5k

I am based in the UK.

Cheers
Well as both watches have been serviced the case stamp is mostly irrelevant.As we all should know Rolex watches in general are good for 50 plus years no matter what the case stamp is.These case stamps are only a rough estimate when a case was stamped anyway.And in reality they are much like any other serial on any product we buy.But with Rolex today many think this case stamp is the most important which its not condition of watch is.Now with models like the 16600 SD its not changed a lot since introduction in 1988/9.The changes are hardly worth a mention let me see the non lug hole case started to appear around late 2002 early 2003.Then we had a LEC crystal plus a few minor fonts and thats about it.So the SD had quite a long run and all basically the same except for the case stamps and a few very minor cosmetic details.Perhaps in 20-30 years the lug hole ones might get a slight premium. But the SD in any form would not be on a must have list for any serious Rolex watch collector far to many around IMHO buy the cheapest one.There is much Internet hype about the SD value yes perhaps there has been a increase. But thats only to those willing to pay hoping to make a fast buck, but would doubt if prices will hold the SD is not a rare watch much like the other modern day Rolex watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 11:18 PM   #15
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

I am not looking for my purchase to be an investment per se as it will be a daily wearer, I just want to make sure I'm not paying over the odds for something. Obviously, if some years down the road it was worth what I paid for it then that would be an added bonus!

If they only used Luminova dials for 4 years, what did they use before and now - Tritium? Don't they lose their luminescence over a period of time?

I am swayed towards the lug hole model as it is a little more 'retro', if that is the right word!
Old 9 August 2011, 11:27 PM   #16
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would go with the cheaper one.
As far as collectors go. People collect Subs, there are fewer SDs.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2011, 11:29 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I am not looking for my purchase to be an investment per se as it will be a daily wearer, I just want to make sure I'm not paying over the odds for something. Obviously, if some years down the road it was worth what I paid for it then that would be an added bonus!

If they only used Luminova dials for 4 years, what did they use before and now - Tritium? Don't they lose their luminescence over a period of time?

I am swayed towards the lug hole model as it is a little more 'retro', if that is the right word!
They changed over from the Tritium type dials around 1998 on all Rolex models now they had a lume life of around 12 years.From 1998 on they use Luminover or now Superluminover and whatever fancy name Rolex wants to call it.Now this lume glow should last the life time of the watch, like I said in my post because both watches have been serviced buy the cheapest.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 12:01 AM   #18
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

Y series.
Old 10 August 2011, 02:51 AM   #19
Ski Dweller
Banned

Watch: Swatch KikiPicasso
I wear my as a "daily" and each time I visit an AD, they see the watch and tell me to put it in a safe and stop wearing it. Sorry, but it isn't worth that much and I'll be long gone before it EVER has a chance of being the Paul Newman Daytona or any such thing. The Sea Dweller would have to head north of $45000 for me to "put it in a safe". I presume that won't be happening. I don't put $45000 cars in a safe. In fact, I go off road with them and beat them up. You can't get much in the way of decent SUV for under $45000. So, Im not sure what all the hubub is about.
Ski Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 09:40 PM   #20
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

Just want to say a big thank you to those that have contributed to this thread, I really appreciate it! Looking to move on the purchase within the next day or so.

Cheers everyone!
Old 10 August 2011, 11:28 PM   #21
Sky-Dweller
"TRF" Member

The last production serial of the SD was V not M.
Sky-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 11:41 PM   #22
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

chiming in

I prefer the lug holes myself so I would suggest the Y. As everyone else has said, the price isn't going down. Here's my K serial.
Old 11 August 2011, 02:02 AM   #23
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

The deal is done, should take delivery in approximately 7 days! I am pleased as punch, looks like I'll be hanging up my Omega Speedmaster sometime soon...!!
Old 11 August 2011, 02:21 AM   #24
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
The deal is done, should take delivery in approximately 7 days! I am pleased as punch, looks like I'll be hanging up my Omega Speedmaster sometime soon...!!
Congrats! Which one
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 02:30 AM   #25
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Dan't hang up the Speedy for too long

Quote:
A Sea Dweller and Speedmaster makes the perfect pair. A complete collection really.
Old 11 August 2011, 02:38 AM   #26
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Either way, you will be owning one of the best diver watches out there.

Good luck!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 07:28 AM   #27
brissleboy
"TRF" Member

Went for the Y series, prefer the lug holes too! A good day, a good result!
Old 11 August 2011, 08:16 AM   #28
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwatchguy View Post
A Sea Dweller and Speedmaster makes the perfect pair. A complete collection really.
Totally agree. These two watches are very complimentary and they don't break the bank.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 09:00 AM   #29
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
Its crazy how much the SD has appreciated over the summer... before i left for my deployment in May nice ones with box and papers seemed to hover around the 5k mark... now those are fetching 6k+ only 3 months later... I should have squeezed the trigger on one before I left... still have a few weeks to wait till I get home to make a deal
S52

Good hearing from you. Good luck on your SD acquisition.

And, thank you for your service to our country and its citizens.