The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 August 2011, 05:37 AM   #1
alan_poon88
"TRF" Member

Question for Canadians....

Just wondering what my fellow Canadians who have bought a Rolex from the TRF sales forum do when they travel abroad with their Rolex. Does coming back into Canada pose any problems? ie tax/duties etc.?
alan_poon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 06:08 AM   #2
weasel642001
"TRF" Member

Canadians travelling

I have never had any problems and I travel frequently. I usually take a photocopy of the appraisal or warranty info with me just in case. Have never had to use it though.

Regards
Doug
Old 10 August 2011, 06:22 AM   #3
RobY330i
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc "V"
I have literally flown hundreds of times in and out of Canada and I have not been questioned once about my watch. Received a few compliments though! :)
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
poopie
"TRF" Member

Just drove back over the Detroit/Windsor border, with my SubC pointed straight at the customs agent (and my receipt in my wallet just in case)... they didn't even notice.

Yih
poopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Have worn $35K watches and $3K watches through a normal annual 20+ flights and Canada Customs has never mentioned my watch...
Sixxgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
watchyou
"TRF" Member

Just don't wear a YG DD, I think they will recognize it right away. Rolex sports models are usually OK.
watchyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Do it regularly without a problem.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 11:55 AM   #8
WatchMeGo
Banned

iv never had problems, however if its a concern, you may want to take the rolex card in your wallet. You know the one that comes in the pouch?
WatchMeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 12:19 PM   #9
alan_poon88
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure how bringing the little green card will help.... Since the watch was bought from a TRF member I have no sales receipt. When I cross customs I heard people tell me that they might think I am trying to smuggle a Rolex across the border.
Old 11 August 2011, 12:15 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
look, if you buy from outside canada and you pay the duty/tax upon import, then its clean. if you ship it to somewhere in the upstate US area, cross the border and smuggle it home, then its not clean. its a risk. i am risk averse and i choose to pay the duty. its not even that much. i think its 5% plus the 2 taxes - but please check my numbers on the gov't website. i do travel with a copy of an old insurance policy with my wife's ring and my rolexes specifically listed with their serial numbers listed, if questioned. it proves taht i owned them before entering the USA. harry in montreal
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:18 AM   #11
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Alan, who 'told' you this ?

i find taht Canadian retailers like to scare customers with these stories to get them to buy domestically.

note taht if you buy abroad, and pay the import duty, the watch is kosher. you just need to bring you papers with you when you travel. not a biggie. i attach it in a folder with my travel insurance policy too.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 01:04 AM   #12
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Ironically I have been questioned on three seperate occasions coming thru customs at Vancouver airport from Mexico..... but only on my Omega GMT white face, not my Sub?
R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 02:20 AM   #13
Braniff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
Canadians travelling with Rolex's

If you have a good relationship with your local dealer they can give you proper papers for your watch if you bought it somewhere else. But yes, coming out of the US they will ask for papers on your watch and you are obligated to have them or they will hold your watch. Rolex is really nasty about watches moving from CDN to US, not sure why but they are. Be safe have your docs. I have been flagged a few times. Keep your plastic warranty card with you. As long as it shows a CDN address your fine and like I mentioned some retailers will give you a copy receipt if you have a good relationship with them. In one instance I even had the watch serviced in Canada and used it. I am cautious because I have a few Rolex Daytona's and a Double Red Seadweller from 77' and don't need border guards touching it, let alone holding it for a few days before I prove it authenticity.
Braniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 02:29 AM   #14
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

No

And I just came back from vacation last night wearing my Daytona on my wrist, no issues at all.
If it makes you feel comfortable have a photocopy of your bill of sale with you if you have one. Another option is have CBSA examine the watch before leaving and get a (can't remember the exact name of) card from them with serial number on it.
Old 11 August 2011, 02:33 AM   #15
victor

Watch: Rolex GMTc
I travelled within Canada and Europe every month for about 4 year and never have a single issue.
victor is offline   Reply With Quote