The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 August 2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Bitrot
"TRF" Member

If you're gonna be a bear... be a grizzly

Hey folks,

I'm new around here and wanted to get some feedback on my PLAN. :)

My wife used to work at a jewelry store and about 4 years ago got a great personal-use discount on a ladies datejust - stainless steel with white gold fluted bezel, Jubilee dial w/diamonds, and Jubilee band. She has always dreamed of the full yellow gold model, so I'm looking to give her what she wants (just in time for our new baby in a couple months).

I've looked at basically the same thing but in yellow gold:
http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...d-m179178-0090

But I also was considering the same thing in the 31mm size. It seems more the trend these days, but not overly large that she won't like it in 5 years. The 26mm is $24K retail and the 31mm appears to be more like $26K retail. I've been in touch with a dealer or two but haven't gotten quoted exact discount pricing - can I assume 15 or 20%?

Obviously I could look for one of these used - but with such a particular feature-set it might be a little hard to find, especially the 31mm version. I did find one here: http://www.grayandsons.com/product/17447/68

Am I a sucker to go for a new model?

It's highly likely that we would sell her old watch, and I've heard some dealers give you a better price on your trade-in if you buy the new watch from them. Is that a good idea? Obviously since it's a surprise I can't arrange the sale and trade-in at the same time...

Any other input or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Jeff
Bitrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Bitrot
"TRF" Member

Also, the AD I spoke with said that either one would be a special order directly from Rolex and that therefore there would be no return period - aka all sales final. No bueno.
Old 11 August 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You'll get the best price for her current watch by selling yourself. As for the size it depennds on what she likes. My wife has both sizes and likes the smaller size for her DJ and the larger size for her sport watch. You should also try some of the trusted sellers here to save some money. With the current trend in gold pricing I would make a move sooner rather than later.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Personally, I would get her the larger size. My wife has a 29mm SS/Platinum Yachtmaster and a 36mm Turn-o-Graph. She adores the larger watch. Women are gravitating towards larger models these days. My wife has very slender wrists. I had to remove all of the removable links out of the TOG for it to fit her. IMHO, 31mm is the smallest watch size that I would get my wife these days.

Here are a couple wrist pics.

YM

TOG

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitrot View Post

Obviously I could look for one of these used - but with such a particular feature-set it might be a little hard to find, especially the 31mm version. I did find one here: http://www.grayandsons.com/product/17447/68

Am I a sucker to go for a new model?
Hi, the one you link to apparently doesn't have an intact original Rolex dial ("custom"), and there's no indication of its date in the listing, so the comparison vs. new Rolex is not apples to apples.

Are you asking basically if buying new is necessary or important, versus preowned? You'd have to know if your wife would like a used watch. If that's a no, you have your answer. Many people here will tell you that buying full gold new is going to be an expensive way to go, given the large hit in resale of such models.

I like the 31. :)
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
arabesque
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd
My wife has the ladies and 31 mid-size. She wears the mid-size much more.
My daughter has the RG/SS 31 mm, now wears a men's size.

I observed the bigger size are more in vogue nowadays. Also if you research pre-owned, YG Ladies' prices have not appreciated much maybe because of the trend to the bigger sizes.
arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Bitrot
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the tips!

I do think she'd be fine with a used watch - especially with the cost savings.

I didn't realize the one I linked to wasn't completely original. Sheesh.

It seems 31mm is the consensus... but I just wonder if that will still be considered "classic" or if larger watches go out of style in 10 years will she hate it.

Do you think I'll be able to find an all YG 31mm datejust?

Thanks again.
Old 11 August 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
watchf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitrot View Post
That watch in that link surely isn't worth $12,210.00? A 36mm 18k YG double quick set DD from late 1980s I think sells for about $9000 on average.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Bitrot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchf View Post
That watch in that link surely isn't worth $12,210.00?
Apparently not!! :)